Dynadot

question How to determine premium non-com domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
How to detemine premium non-com domains (.net, .org, .info: new gTLDs)?

And about .com domains: It is very important age of the domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Look it depends upon the number of searches of a domain name and also the appraisal value, check on estibot. Yes age of domain is also very important . And 10 years older domains are great

•••
Great question.

Most people think premium new G's have already been tagged by the registries, however, many slip through the cracks and you can grab hold of them. On the flipside, many that the registries have determined "premium" are actually crapola.

Many variables can go into determining a premium G, but to keep it simple, remove the dot out the equation. Combine the left and the right word and take a good long look at what you have in front of you. Does it make sense? Say it aloud. Does it sound good? Put it into a search engine. Any results coming up that show a sort of definition?

That's a very simpleton determination. But it always comes down to demand; how much someone will want that name and be willing to pay for it.

As for aged com's..as a collector I love aged names. But not just any.

Others will tell you age doesnt matter. If the name has a solid history, I think it could only increase it's value.

•••
"Aged" was a marketing ploy.. There is little value associated.
There are so many factors of value above "Aged"
It is more important than ever in today's market to check TM's and search before purchasing any domain for this reason,

UDRP - A sale,drop, transfer to new owner, triggers a New Reg status. So if you purchase a domain today, Any domain, Aged or not, that has a potential conflict with an already existing active business or site would be subject to "a bad faith ruling" if used in the same or similar fashion of an already existing business or site regardless of whether or not a TM is registered.
Just like wine, some "Aged" domains will turn to vinegar. Buyers beware. Sellers too. You will have to be very careful how it's marketed and know who you shouldn't solicit.

.net, .org, .info- they are all taking a back seat to New "G"s with few exceptions. There are very few Premiums in these extensions.
Not worth the time and expense overall. Skip hyphens too,in any extension. It's a niche market not suitable for learners.
country codes - Although there is a local geo market globally, there is a slight and growing impact on them from "City" extensions.
So IMHO stay with short, catchy, brand worthy, keywords in all cultures, sector verticals, expanding industries like, health, tech, finance etc., in .com, country codes or New "G"s with whatever % split in your portfolio your comfortable with.
Study sales,sales,sales, read news about the particular industry/location/vertical/extension your buying into and eventually you will know what is premium or not at the time. There are premiums that will always be 1. premium, (shorts that make sense), domains that have little TM risk, 2. premiums that follow trends in and out of favor and 3. premiums created by new market demand. Simple :)
HotKey is spot on. New "G" premiums are available. It takes work to find them!
And, It always comes to demand and how much someone will want the domain and be willing to pay.

Happy Learning !
Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
•••
How to detemine premium non-com domains (.net, .org, .info: new gTLDs)?
If you look thru the For Sale threads here, you'll notice 'every' domain name, no matter the extension or the words in it, is a 'premium' :xf.rolleyes:, so just reg a domain and you'll have one too.

•••
"Aged" was a marketing ploy.. There is little value associated.
Survey says.. BAAANNTTT!!!...XXX....Wrong!

Where 'aged' comes into play, is that as most 'good' domains were regged long ago, there's a better chance that an aged domain could potentially be a 'good/decent' domain and have some value to it.
No 'marketing ploy' agenda involved.
clear.png
clear.png
:xf.rolleyes:

•••

Where 'aged' comes into play, is that as most 'good' domains were regged long ago, there's a better chance that an aged domain could potentially be a 'good/decent' domain and have some value to it.
No 'marketing ploy' agenda involved.:xf.rolleyes:

Just my perspective,
ehh, BAAANNTTT!!!...XXX....Wrong! :xf.rolleyes: :) There are some that just don't believe this fantasy. There are a few that have "historical" value but beyond that, that line is snowman's butter ball. "better chance" "could potentially be." The music always stops at some point in the "cake walk"
There are millions of domains that are "Aged" Yet a small fraction have "value" The shorts, category killers, the developed, the rare.
The rest are "pie in the sky". I think "rare" would best define the "valuables" that are left. All one has to do is look at the list of the most expensive domains to know what I am saying has truth. There was a time when they weren't "Aged" and still just as valuable.
Aged is just another "premium" pumper.
Kudos for a decent sales pitch.
Cheers

•••
Quick question: who decides what is a premium name? Depending on which domain seller I enter names in, some are asking premium prices and tagging the name as premium and some are not. Is this a decision made by each domain seller? Apologies for the rookie question, but I'm seeing wildly fluctuating prices on the same names

•••

No 'marketing ploy' agenda involved.
clear.png
clear.png
:xf.rolleyes:

Keyword: "POTENTIALLY" - age is one of many factors to consider.

"Premium" is the real marketing ploy.

Last edited:
•••
Quick question: who decides what is a premium name? Depending on which domain seller I enter names in, some are asking premium prices and tagging the name as premium and some are not. Is this a decision made by each domain seller? Apologies for the rookie question, but I'm seeing wildly fluctuating prices on the same names

Just got the answer to my question. When I put the domain in my cart, it changed to a premium price. Went from $9.99 during search to $5,100 at check out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back