IT.COM

discuss How Much Will O.com Sell For? Let's Guess!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How Much Will Single-Letter O.com Sell For?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Less than $2 million

votes
    13.4%
  • $2-5 million

votes
    23.1%
  • $5-8 million

votes
    15.7%
  • $8-11 million

votes
    19.9%
  • $11-14 million

votes
    12.5%
  • $14-17 million

votes
    4.8%
  • $17-20 million

votes
    5.3%
  • More than $20 million

votes
    15.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that Verisign has received approval to release the single letter domain O.com.

Even though apparently Verisign will only get $7.85 for the domain registration, the name will probably fetch a good price.

There is a tm issue as Overstock owns the trademark O.com.

I still think the domain will auction for a big price. I'd guess $3.6 million.

As a reference, X.com sold for 6.7 million in 2014.

What's your guess???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I thought of overstock even before reading the article.

They already have o.co and o.biz and probably will overbid anyone up to 10 million or higher even.

•••
I just read that Verisign has received approval to release the single letter domain O.com.

Even though apparently Verisign will only get $7.85 for the domain registration, the name will probably fetch a good price.

I still think the domain will auction for a big price. I'd guess $3.6 million.

As a reference, X.com sold for 6.7 million in 2014.

What's your guess???
$3.6 million? I think it will sell for triple that.

•••
Wake me up. I want to dream that I own it

•••

Wow ! They have a TM on a domain they don't own !!!

Do I see an anomaly here ?!?

•••
•••
I'm not sure exactly how much the domain will go for - but will definitely be a very high earner...

Between Overstock and Oprah - you have a lot of money that would want that domain.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Okay, okay...I'm upping my projection. My projection is 11,000,000.

I know how much Verisign will get... :) Reg fee.

•••

I think you meant Z.com.

upload_2017-12-19_7-20-24.png

•••
•••
$22.49 a pack of now and laters two ozzie smith baseball cards and a coupon to arbys.

Who knows definitely something most of us cant afford. Probably 5 to 10mil

•••
Ouch... Owning this domain is going to be an expensive proposition - for sure.

(from Domainincite article)

"Regardless, it has a payment schedule in mind that would see the winning bidder continue to pay premium renewal fees for 25 years, eventually doubling the sale price.

The winner would pay their winning bid immediately and get a five-year registration, but then would have to pay 5% of that bid to renew the domain for years six through 25.

In other words, if the winning bid was $1 million, the annual renewal fee after the first five years would be $50,000 and the total amount paid would eventually be $2 million."

Also interesting:

"There’s also a clause that would seem to discourage domain investors from bidding. The only way to transfer the domain would be if the buyer was acquired entirely, though this could be presumably circumvented with the use of a shell company."

•••
So if verisign will only get the $8+ fee, who would get the $millions from the sale?

•••
•••
So if verisign will only get the $8+ fee, who would get the $millions from the sale?
"All of this money, apart from the auction provider’s cut, would go to a trust that would distribute the funds to internet-focused non-profit organizations, such as those promoting security or open protocols."

•••
•••
•••
I am taking the long shot. I believe we will never know the price paid as Overstock will take hold through some back door legal route. The trademark is exact and it is extensive.

•••
I am taking the long shot. I believe we will never know the price paid as Overstock will take hold through some back door legal route. The trademark is exact and it is extensive.

I don't think the TM will work without already owning the domain.

Otherwise, many would TM valuable combos of domains before they come out. I could TM R.com for example

•••
I don't think the TM will work without already owning the domain.

Otherwise, many would TM valuable combos of domains before they come out. I could TM R.com for example
"R.com" is in the process of TM. Most single letters with the ".com" are actually trademarked or have abandoned trademarks. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back