Domain Empire

discuss How Much Will O.com Sell For? Let's Guess!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How Much Will Single-Letter O.com Sell For?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Less than $2 million

votes
    13.4%
  • $2-5 million

votes
    23.1%
  • $5-8 million

votes
    15.7%
  • $8-11 million

votes
    19.9%
  • $11-14 million

votes
    12.5%
  • $14-17 million

votes
    4.8%
  • $17-20 million

votes
    5.3%
  • More than $20 million

votes
    15.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that Verisign has received approval to release the single letter domain O.com.

Even though apparently Verisign will only get $7.85 for the domain registration, the name will probably fetch a good price.

There is a tm issue as Overstock owns the trademark O.com.

I still think the domain will auction for a big price. I'd guess $3.6 million.

As a reference, X.com sold for 6.7 million in 2014.

What's your guess???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Again, those trademarks shouldn't work to provide any rights to names that you already don't own.

The whole point of the auction would be mute.

•••
I don't think the TM will work without already owning the domain.

Otherwise, many would TM valuable combos of domains before they come out. I could TM R.com for example
The TM's are "LIVE" and "REGISTERED"....There is no disputing this information.

•••
The TM's are "LIVE" and "REGISTERED"....There is no disputing this information.

So, are you saying that if anyone else would get o.com then TM would automatically be violated? Are you saying that the auction is basically a sham between Overstock and Verisign, as both of them would know that no one would seriously participate and risk millions on a name that would be taken away from them immediately in court or in udrp?

•••
It all depends on the scope of the TM. I haven't actually looked at the trademark .. but I can only guess that the TM would cover eCommerce. So in theory a media type company could use it, as could many other types of businesses. That being said .. eCommerce is still a big broad field where a lot of the money is. An active TM certainly would deter many potential end users.

As pointed out above .. many other trademarks cover one letter .com's .. I think that in itself is something that should not have been accepted and is a policy that should be looked into. Essentially you're trademarking something you don't currently even have the right to use .. allowing such trademarks could be a very devastating blow to the domain aftermarket industry (obviously when done with any domain .. not just single letter .com's).

•••
So, are you saying that if anyone else would get o.com then TM would automatically be violated? Are you saying that the auction is basically a sham between Overstock and Verisign, as both of them would know that no one would seriously participate and risk millions on a name that would be taken away from them immediately in court or in udrp?
Here is what I am saying. Overstock has multiple very lengthy TM's covering just about everything. The TM's are live and registered. It will be very difficult for another business/person to find fair and legitimate use with such lengthy TM's........Knowing that, I believe Verisign and Overstock will work this out behind the scenes, if they haven't already.

•••
^^^^^^

I would suggest that " O, The Oprah Magazine™ " may have a legitimate claim to it as well - as do probably many more companies with much smaller coffers.

This might end up in a slugfest. If it turns in to some major drama and shows up in the MSM, it might be good PR in the promoting the importance and value of good domains. Or specifically in this case, a GREAT domain.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah I was thinking Oprah too... she certainly has the resources to pull this off.

•••
^^^^^^

I would suggest that " O, The Oprah Magazine™ " may have a legitimate claim to it as well - as do probably many more companies with much smaller coffers.

This might end up in a slugfest. If it turns in to some major drama and shows up in the MSM, it might be good PR in the promoting the importance and value of good domains. Or specifically in this case, a GREAT domain.
Except for the fact that Overstock has a LIVE and REGISTERED TM for the Exact Match "O.com"......Overstock did everything to prepare for this day, they covered all bases knowing this day would come.

•••
^^^^^^

And this is why God created attorneys... :xf.wink:

•••
I'm not sure exactly how much the domain will go for - but will definitely be a very high earner...

Between Overstock and Oprah - you have a lot of money that would want that domain.

If Oprah wants it she will get it, even overstock cannot compete with her.

Besides, overstock learned their lesson with o.co

Overstock.com was much better for business.

I would be surprised if they made the same mistake again. If they do the investors should probably run away and invest elsewhere.

Last edited:
•••
Overstock should pour millions into buying their electronics in greater quantities to sell below MSRP instead of piling 10% on top of the price the manufacturer's sell on their websites themselves. I've never seen a company ask for more than what the manufacturer sells it for directly LOL.

In my opinion, spend your money wisely Overstock ... extremely short domains such as "O.com" have more branding cons than pros.

•••
•••
I think $450,000 is a fair price

•••
12.7 million (+/- 1.2 million)

•••
I believe overstock will not pay for O.com since they have trademark O.com. It is similar to Ethereum.com situation. If someone buys the domain, the trademark owner will get it for free via udrp. They hedged themselves.

•••
•••
•••
Ouch... Owning this domain is going to be an expensive proposition - for sure.

(from Domainincite article)

"Regardless, it has a payment schedule in mind that would see the winning bidder continue to pay premium renewal fees for 25 years, eventually doubling the sale price.

The winner would pay their winning bid immediately and get a five-year registration, but then would have to pay 5% of that bid to renew the domain for years six through 25.

In other words, if the winning bid was $1 million, the annual renewal fee after the first five years would be $50,000 and the total amount paid would eventually be $2 million."

Also interesting:

"There’s also a clause that would seem to discourage domain investors from bidding. The only way to transfer the domain would be if the buyer was acquired entirely, though this could be presumably circumvented with the use of a shell company."

Interesting piece..

•••
If I owned this I would dedicate it to my loveeee

•••
I have the Hieroglyphic version which may not command quite such a premium!
𓏸.com

•••
I don't think the TM will work without already owning the domain.

Otherwise, many would TM valuable combos of domains before they come out. I could TM R.com for example
Actually, it will. They own the trademark. Many one letter .com domains are trademarked.

Last edited:
•••
Overstock's trademark is invalid and can be cancelled with a simple petition from the registrant. U.S. law requires that trademarks are actively used in commerce in order to be valid. Overstock does not use o.com in commerce and has never used it since it has never owned the domain. This is a slam dunk for the new registrant.

•••
Poll added to the top of this page. ;)

•••
Where is the auction? couldn't find it anywhere.

•••
^^^^^^

Oprah's name is a brand in itself.
Overstock's trademark is invalid and can be cancelled with a simple petition from the registrant. U.S. law requires that trademarks are actively used in commerce in order to be valid. Overstock does not use o.com in commerce and has never used it since it has never owned the domain. This is a slam dunk for the new 'registrant.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back