Domain Empire

discuss How Is This Possible Mike Mann? Please Share Some!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read an article to today and I really don't have any idea how it is possible... I applaud these sales, but I just can't seem to get my brain around how these types of names are selling for this kind of money.

Congrats Mr. Mann!

mike-mann-sales.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
......but doesn't SEO render keyword terms obsolete nowadays?

Domains have value far beyond just SEO. That is just one aspect.

Branding, credibility, traffic, etc. are others.

A domain that explains what you do or what you offer is always going to be good for marketing, regardless of SEO.

Brad

•••
- Hey, Mike M., do you have any good real estate domain names?
- What's your price range?
- Up to 30k.
- What are some specifics about your business?
- We' re a successful interracial couple selling residential houses...
- You're in luck. I can give you a discount on saltandpepperhomes.com.
- Wow, this is perfect. Thank you Mike. You're the Mann!

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, business, events and incidents are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, or actual events is purely coincidental.

•••
Found another;

Mike Mann‏ @mikemanndotcom Jun 7
Domain ideas from the well of the soul Sold http://WellOfTheSoul.com $9888 Purch 5/12/12 $8

Whois "Website Title
favicons
WellOfTheSoul.com is for Sale! @ DomainMarket.com"

Tweeted sold last month, resolves at DomainMarket for sale.

I don't have anything against Mike Mann, I just believe in the truth.

Last edited:
•••
A lot of people seem to have "buggy whip" mentality. Yeah, sure, LLLL.com used to be worth tons of $. But if you were to take the time to go on Pinterest and look at the cooking blogs, knitting blogs, etc etc, you would see that pinwhisperer.com is a hell of a lot sellable than brtj.com.

Times have changed and millenials want cool looking names like thispagedoesntexist.com

Just sayin'.

M

•••
•••
millenials want cool looking names like thispagedoesntexist.com

Oh yeah, amongst millennials that's probably the second most sought after name after SaltAndPepperHome.com :dead:

•••
•••
I totally know what you mean, it's mind boggling how he manages to sell those names :xf.confused:
Honestly, I would've turned down offers to have a few of those names for free lol.
WaveWholesale.com ?? what does that even mean? Ok maybe there's some obscure(?) connection but $10,000??? wow.
I think this guy was born with a silver tongue, he probably meets with his buyers face to face and brainwashes them with sheer charisma. After a session with him they probably feel empowered that they've managed to get the price of a 100k domain down to just 10k :xf.rolleyes:.
I love to read about this sales :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

Bingo hit the nail right on the head.

•••
I don't believe domainer still speak about this lol .

@ baseballworld , @xn--v4h.com . My view , you are right with the annual fee ,renew things . It will be a few discount not a lot .
About the sponsored ...etc , I trust the domain industry never need anyone to do things like this for it . Domains is a very huge market and industry already since the first highest sales happened .

If you will keep checking his sales most of them the whois will really changed or the domains will be developed too . Some stay the same ! , but I have some experience before , I sold a lot of domains , 10% of my sales never developed or even they never change the whois ! , sometimes I even get the domain back and resale again for the same compan/person .

I read one said Mike , he doesn't give any tips or trick for other domainer , I guess we all like a brothers and competitor at the same time . However when he is posting any kind of his sales , then he give you a great data/ tips whatever you will call it , trust me to know a sale domain happen it a great data for you . You just need to move yourself and start working ! .

•••
Mike Mann owns around 300,000 .COM names.
So I own around 1000 and get 12-20 inquiries/month, so hypothetically Mike Mann and his TEAM get 3600-6000 inquiries/month OR MORE.
Out of all those inquires YES there will be some corporate buyers with DEEP pockets for those 20-$30,000 names, and YES he has a ton of sales of $500-$2000 that he doesn't report.
SO out of 30-60 domains a month he sells he only reports the 2-4 BIG sales.
There's no secret here, Mike Mann is speculating and investing at a millionaire level and the ODDS are in his favor because:
1. the sheer volume of his portfolio;
2. the keywords-intelligence/knows what names sell and intel he gathered over the years( THAT'S WHY we are LIKE "Crap I don't see myself registering WellOfTheSoul.com" etc etc)

•••
Probably just quotes how well phone/com does and the benefit of having the correct .com for their business

•••
I just read an article to today and I really don't have any idea how it is possible... I applaud these sales, but I just can't seem to get my brain around how these types of names are selling for this kind of money.

Congrats Mr. Mann!

Show attachment 64030

no good names available no more in 2017??
to hand reg???

Developed page
http://THINGSTODONEARME.COM

https://www.google.com/search?q="THINGS+TO+DO+NEAR+ME"

Kudos to Mike to identify that name

Domain Name: THINGSTODONEARME.COM

Registry Domain ID: 2029344165_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.fabulous.com
Registrar URL: http://www.fabulous.com
Updated Date: 2017-07-28T22:13:56Z
Creation Date: 2016-05-19T04:00:46Z

•••
It is Because Mike Mann is selling them, guess his name in the industry helps sell those names ,imo

the end user couldn't care less

•••
Damn, these sales giving me inspirational boost! Gotta launch Mission Outbound!! :spiderman:
No seriously, anyone got any good outbound email templates?

template :

"
the domain xxx.com is for sale
do you want it?
"

•••
•••
•••
•••
neither

just a trial
give me a better one please
"better is subjective" we are all different and digest information in different ways, might be worth mentioning the benefits of owning a particular domain name, secondary blog with anchor links, possibility of rebranding to something shorter, brand protection, protective/defensive registrations, additional email options, options for other social media handles if the main brand is taken, plus some other vital points I have probably forgotten. At least put (website address) in brackets next to the words Domain Name, the actual recipient may not even know what a domain name is? .......... "Brenda just answers the phones and does not know about tech stuff"

•••
"better is subjective" we are all different and digest information in different ways, might be worth mentioning the benefits of owning a particular domain name, secondary blog with anchor links, possibility of rebranding to something shorter, brand protection, protective/defensive registrations, additional email options, options for other social media handles if the main brand is taken, plus some other vital points I have probably forgotten. At least put (website address) in brackets next to the words Domain Name, the actual recipient may not even know what a domain name is? .......... "Brenda just answers the phones and does not know about tech stuff"
All this in the first cold email ???

•••
All this in the first cold email ???
You want their attention don't you? ..... the email may never get opened so I think offer as much info as you can to the ones that are opened

•••
You want their attention don't you? ..... the email may never get opened so I think offer as much info as you can to the ones that are opened

how often did you do it that way
successfully?

•••
I don't do much outbound to be honest but as I say some folk don't even know what a domain name is so why wouldn't you offer additional information, the theory is sound as far as I am concerned

Last edited:
•••
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

Agreed , nice post

•••
Same old story. He plays a numbers games where he MUST make this kind of sales to make a profit at the end of the year.
There should be a thread every month with "Mike Mann spent 200K on renewals this month, how is it possible? I spend only 100$".
This doesn't mean MM isn't a superstar, he has done this for a long time and he knows what he does, but without this kind of sales he would be broke in 2 months.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back