IT.COM

discuss How Is This Possible Mike Mann? Please Share Some!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read an article to today and I really don't have any idea how it is possible... I applaud these sales, but I just can't seem to get my brain around how these types of names are selling for this kind of money.

Congrats Mr. Mann!

mike-mann-sales.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
More than anything it is a law of averages. If you own 400K decent domains, there will be outliers.
You only hear the stories about the ones that sell, not the 98% or 99% that don't.

Brad

•••
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

•••
I'd skip those names if I see them

•••
It's really great that Mike was able to secure those sales. However people need to understand that much of it is playing the odds. It would be nice to know for sure those specific domains would sell, and Mike would only register for those that sell and thus produce astronomical ROI numbers, but how many domains does Mike own? What is his total operating expenses (renewals, office, time, etc)? It's really misleading to say your ROI is such and such for that one domain but the real cost is hidden with the ones that didn't sell. Not trying to negative here because Mike deserves our congratulations, but there's a bigger picture than him selling these domains at high prices.

•••
I dont see how trading domains at your MOMS house would be different to trading domains at your own house or office.

•••
Which "real world" would that be @domeen? YOUR reality? YOUR assumptions? YOUR opinions? YOUR world must be the only truth, right?

•••
All I can say is... Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!

He is apparently a businessman, does it sound likely that a businessman would gloat on Twitter after closing a deal, that he sold you something for $30k, that he got few days ago for $20? Lol. people are trying to convince themselves it's because he has a name in the industry, well if he has a name, surely you would know he will go on Twitter and essentially make you look a fool (as only a fool would pay these apparent prices).

As I say, don't believe everything people say, particularly online... He is more a "marketer" than a domainer... Pump and dump all day long

•••
It is Because Mike Mann is selling them, guess his name in the industry helps sell those names ,imo

Last edited:
•••
You see @domeen, if by "Life experience" you mean making assumptions, talking down to other people, and being judgmental and narcissistic , the answer is NO, you can be sure I will NEVER "get" it.

•••
Okay....logically speaking and after a bit of research...

SaltAndPepperHome.com
- Was listed for $28,888
- Only other tld in use is SaltAndPepper.eu
- There is a large software company using Salt-And-Pepper.eu

Very possible sale for 5 figures

WaveWholesale.com
- Wave Broadband has a division Wave Wholesale...here's the site: https://business.wavebroadband.com/wholesale/

Very possible sale for 5 figures

ThingsToDoNearMe.com
- Excellent long tail domain

Very possible 3k sale

Amazing job by Mike Mann. Those names were great investments and show that investing carefully and with research, it is clear if a name has great potential.

•••
This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

Actually, we don't know sh**. :roll: Might be a big shady plot to encourage everyone to buy stupid names in hopes of replicating what these guys are doing. :?:

•••
Well said @deez007, I am in full agreement.

•••
2.) Anyone that is 35 and staying with their parents has got some serious issues, irrespective what they do for a living. If they are domainers then they need to stop cos it's not working for them.
Not relevant to your argument but that's a cultural. Making a generalized sweeping statement is very wrong. It is culturally acceptable and expected in countries like China, Japan, India and around for families to live together. Joint families, while not the norm anymore, were cherished. Making a stupid statement like this is very wrong

•••
Not relevant to your argument but that's a cultural. Making a generalized sweeping statement is very wrong. It is culturally acceptable and expected in countries like China, Japan, India and around for families to live together. Joint families, while not the norm anymore, were cherished. Making a stupid statement like this is very wrong

Agree it was wrong nor was it relevant to the arguement it was done in frustration as a reply to idiotic comments from Domeen, still... I should have known better. I fully understand the cultural environment of joint families, I am a South African Indian. (Yes, South Africa has the largest population of Indians outside of India - :)) I have friends and some family as well who live in a joint family household. I also agree it used to be a beautiful thing,these days it's not as common. None the less my statement was still sweeping and it was not right. I should have added more context to it. Like I should have mentioned if you are 35 and living at home not because of the benefits of a joint family but because you are too lazy to work and prefer to sit at home trying to sell the odd domain while spending ur day watching TV and playing video games without contributing financially to the household (assuming the person is not handicapped in anyway) then thats a problem.

Last edited:
•••
It is Because Mike Mann is selling them, guess his name in the industry helps sell those names ,imo
That's a good point. His personality and large portfolio advantage. No more, no less

•••
Still the same. I mean how many times have we spoken about it. He dosen`t get any discount.
he is making sh*t load of money.
My god

You mean mean the 1 time before when you replied and pretty much said the same thing... that he doesn't get discounts and he makes loads of money... hmm so because we spoke about it and because you say it's not the case... it has to be true?

I was clear in my statement, business expenses need to be taken into consideration and it's not a case of him investing $20 and making $xx xxx as his tweets imply. I was very clear in my statement being pure speculation. Was I adamant that my theory was right? No!... does that mean you are right? No!... It simply means, anything is possible.

Last edited:
•••
That's a good point. His personality and large portfolio advantage. No more, no less

Do you really think that everyone that bought domain name from him knew him or have heard about him before? Funny. You guys clearly aren't seeing his dynamics.

•••
•••
Beginning to doubt the validity of these sales. I mean how big is his brand outside of the domaining community? And even if he has a major presence outside the domaining community, wouldn't a potential investor assess the quality of the name first, before dropping that many Ks. Just curious. Any-who if these are actual sales, kudos to him.

Last edited:
•••
While I would absolutely love to have sales like this, I find them a bit strange.

Both thingstodonearme.com and saltandpepperhome.com are still in Mike Mann's name at GoDaddy and not pending transfer.

Why not wait for a sale to complete before you publish it? Also, I am not sure those buyers will be too happy about those tweets, althought he has the right to make them.

The third one, wavewholesale.com, seems to have been owned by the current registrant for years. But of course they might have let it expire just a few days and Mike grabbed it and sold it to them.

Last edited:
•••
You also have to keep in mind that it's not just Mike Mann selling those domains. He has a team working with him. So who knows how they grind to get this done.

•••
i don't now guys where you got that 400,000 number from... latest (July 10, 2017) onlinedomain.com article says DomainMarket has 288,836 domains for sale..

another thing to mention here is this excerpt from another onlinedomain.com article (Dec 2016):

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First he said that the average premium domain sales price at Domain Market.com is now at $2,600. Average has doubled since last year.

That on itself doesn’t say much about sales volume but then he make comment that might have gone unnoticed.

He said “I did half that on my private little market” commenting on a post saying that Namejet sold $725k worth of domains in November 2016.

So he did about $362,500 is sales in November and $4.35 million in the past year. (of course all these numbers are all estimates and not exact or scientific)

If you divide $4.35 million by $2,600 then you get about 1,673 domains per year or 139 domains per month.

So Mike Mann’s portfolio annual turnaround is less than 1% at about 0.0067.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

what does it mean for a small investor?

if you hold 1,000 domains and you are as good at picking/selling as Mr. Mann you can expect:

1,000 names x 0.0067 sell thru rate x $2,600 average price = $17,420

minus $9,000 in renewals
------------------------
~ $8,000 in profit

not bad at first sight
but is $650/month worth your time?

if your answer is NO and you want more you either have to have better names than Mr Mann or price your names higher than $2,600 :)

imo

PS. Average sales price is already $3541 as of July 2017 according to onlinedomain.com

•••
......but doesn't SEO render keyword terms obsolete nowadays?

Domains have value far beyond just SEO. That is just one aspect.

Branding, credibility, traffic, etc. are others.

A domain that explains what you do or what you offer is always going to be good for marketing, regardless of SEO.

Brad

•••
You need to cut smoking marijuana and come back to real world.

You still need to figure out what the "real world" is.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back