Dynadot

discuss How Is This Possible Mike Mann? Please Share Some!

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read an article to today and I really don't have any idea how it is possible... I applaud these sales, but I just can't seem to get my brain around how these types of names are selling for this kind of money.

Congrats Mr. Mann!

mike-mann-sales.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

Well said! My viewpoint as well. Either way these published sales are incredible!

•••
I dont see how trading domains at your MOMS house would be different to trading domains at your own house or office.

Maybe his mum would point out that keeping a load of domain names hanging around doing nothing while you wait for someone to buy them, is not the smartest business move. She might say "Kick them up the .com and get them earning some money". :)

•••
SaltandPepperHome.com for almost 30 grand? I wouldn't think SaltandPepper.com would be worth that.

•••
It is easy, he most probably has a list of clients that he sells to from the past transactions.

•••
It is easy, he most probably has a list of clients that he sells to from the past transactions.
He doesn't have a list of clients that he can sell to at those prices.

•••
I'm sure he buys just like every domain investor should be buying...

Take X amount of dollars, then strategically buy X amount of domains.

Some people in the upper tier take $1mil and buy as many five to six figure domains as they can...
Like Drew Rosner, he bought Happiness for 50k sold it for 250k. Made back 25% of total likely* investment with 1 domain and probably a boatload more to sell that he is asking $1mil+ for.

*I say likely b/c I watched a video a few years back where he discussed taking $1mil and buying as many high end domains as possible.

Others take $10k and buy 250-500 domains.

Out of 500 reasonably picked domains, sell at least 10 of them for 4-fig and you make a tidy profit. Sell one for $30k by using the power of sales - even better.

MM is doing it right.

We all have to be shapeless, formless, like water.
If something is not working don't dump on MM to make yourself feel better, change it!

•••
@domeen If i was mm I wouldn't be looking for a discount on domain renewals I'D BE BLOODY DEMANDING IT. :laugh:

Last edited:
•••

The problem with that is.... if u buy a 100% unique product from someone for lets say $5000 then that person goes on a twitter frenzy about how he paid $20 for the product that he sold for $5000 and mentions the 100% product in his tweet so everyone knows it was you that bought it... would you be happy to do business with him again?

•••
Mike Mann got the sales process down to the science. I am personally not impressed with domains he is buying. Rick Schwartz would call it " total pigeon shit names",but somehow he sells enough of them to cover his renewals. Congrats to Mike on great sales!!!

•••
Okay....logically speaking and after a bit of research...

SaltAndPepperHome.com
- Was listed for $28,888
- Only other tld in use is SaltAndPepper.eu
- There is a large software company using Salt-And-Pepper.eu

Very possible sale for 5 figures

WaveWholesale.com
- Wave Broadband has a division Wave Wholesale...here's the site: https://business.wavebroadband.com/wholesale/

ThingsToDoNearMe.com
- Excellent long tail domain

Very possible 3k sale

Amazing job by Mike Mann. Those names were great investments and show that investing carefully and with research, it is clear if a name has great potential.

•••
I would love really to write my opinion , but I will keep it to myself and I hope Mike , buydomains , hugedomains will always post some sales to keep me improving :) . I would just say about things to do near me , its getting 100K – 1M exact search for $2888 its really nothing ! . It could get a few more $$ for it ! .

•••
•••
The difference is that too many domainers either don't see value in the type of domain that mm sells or are too impatient to wait for a buyer to pay decent dough for the domain and make a quick flip instead

But it's a safe bet that if a domain has been bought by mm it will not be sold cheap so any buyer knows they will have to pay quite a few quid to prize that domain from mm

•••
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

I don't think .com needs to sponsor/pay people, they don't need help.

The math on how this could work has been gone over many times as these threads pop up - https://www.namepros.com/blog/mike-...industrialheat-com.864978/page-2#post-4908636

Silentptnr went over the sales.

•••
I am trying to sell 200 time better domain from him but I am still in dark. Can anyone tell him to send any "End User" of my name who can pay me $xxxx. I will give him at least 99% commission.

•••
I am trying to sell 200 time better domain from him but I am still in dark. Can anyone tell him to send any "End User" of my name who can pay me $xxxx. I will give him at least 99% commission.

Interesting proposal! How could he resist?

•••
Does he accept payment plans? That would cast the sales in a lesser light -- buyer may not ever really pay.

SaltAndPepperHomes.com (pluralized) was just regged at DynaDot yesterday.

•••
Does he accept payment plans? That would cast the sales in a lesser light -- buyer may not ever really pay.

SaltAndPepperHomes.com (pluralized) was just regged at DynaDot yesterday.
I asked if there was financing involved (generally) and the answer was no.

•••
The 'MM style' business model is:

Dot coms will not only continue to go up in value but also broaden (what seems sucky today will be a lot less sucky in the future)

It doesn't matter if making a profit this year or next or the year after, just that a significant cash flow flowing.

Don't live on domain sale income.

If you want to purchase a name from the port, you better bring a cash truck, or might as well keep it for that future payday era.

The goal is to be owning a #%^& load of domains when they are more valuable in the future.

•••
The 'MM style' business model is:

Dot coms will not only continue to go up in value but also broaden (what seems sucky today will be a lot less sucky in the future)

It doesn't matter if making a profit this year or next or the year after, just that a significant cash flow flowing.

Don't live on domain sale income.

If you want to purchase a name from the port, you better bring a cash truck, or might as well keep it for that future payday era.

The goal is to be owning a #%^& load of domains when they are more valuable in the future.
I just told that to a guy offering on one of my domains today! Believe it or not, I acquired a domain about a month ago for a great price. I put up an efty lander and got an offer right away. The offer was low, but the conversation started. I priced the domain high, and the buyer walked away. A few days later, they contact me to tell me they registered the same name but as a new gtld. My response was, I love it! I would love to see you build your business around a new gtld of my .com!

I couldn't believe they actually told me they registered an alternative. I told him (just today!) that the price of my .com will only increase and to grab it now. I feel this deal will be closed very soon. :)

•••
I'm reading this thread and definitely understand owning 400k names is a whole new level of domaining, but getting 30k, for random looking names several times, is just so incomprehensible.

If you have tons of BMW's worth at most 50k and put them at 300k each, doesn't mean someone is going to pay that just because it's a numbers game.

I understand very well that domain values are open to interpretation, more than probably any other asset, but there's volatility and then there's craziness...

If I were a company, the only time I would spend such crazy amounts on such names is to have deductibles to change tax brackets.. but then again, there's so many better alternatives..

I guess he enjoys the secrecy as everyone is scratching their head and I don't see him helping out really the industry with at least small tips and tricks.. not that he's obligated by any means, but all the Sherpa's on domain sherpa don't seem to mind to help others out.

Last edited:
•••
2.) Anyone that is 35 and staying with their parents has got some serious issues, irrespective what they do for a living. If they are domainers then they need to stop cos it's not working for them.
Not relevant to your argument but that's a cultural. Making a generalized sweeping statement is very wrong. It is culturally acceptable and expected in countries like China, Japan, India and around for families to live together. Joint families, while not the norm anymore, were cherished. Making a stupid statement like this is very wrong

•••
Okay....logically speaking and after a bit of research...

SaltAndPepperHome.com
- Was listed for $28,888
- Only other tld in use is SaltAndPepper.eu
- There is a large software company using Salt-And-Pepper.eu

WaveWholesale.com
- Wave Broadband has a division Wave Wholesale...here's the site: https://business.wavebroadband.com/wholesale/

ThingsToDoNearMe.com
- Excellent long tail domain

Very possible 3k sale

Amazing job by Mike Mann. Those names were great investments and show that investing carefully and with research, it is clear if a name has great potential.

I think you nailed it right.. Its not about names its about research before you invest...
I almost hit something following this strategy but couldn't complete the sale..
:D it works for Mike may be he has good channels

I think is all about end users who are ready to pay and buy..

Last edited:
•••
Not relevant to your argument but that's a cultural. Making a generalized sweeping statement is very wrong. It is culturally acceptable and expected in countries like China, Japan, India and around for families to live together. Joint families, while not the norm anymore, were cherished. Making a stupid statement like this is very wrong

Agree it was wrong nor was it relevant to the arguement it was done in frustration as a reply to idiotic comments from Domeen, still... I should have known better. I fully understand the cultural environment of joint families, I am a South African Indian. (Yes, South Africa has the largest population of Indians outside of India - :)) I have friends and some family as well who live in a joint family household. I also agree it used to be a beautiful thing,these days it's not as common. None the less my statement was still sweeping and it was not right. I should have added more context to it. Like I should have mentioned if you are 35 and living at home not because of the benefits of a joint family but because you are too lazy to work and prefer to sit at home trying to sell the odd domain while spending ur day watching TV and playing video games without contributing financially to the household (assuming the person is not handicapped in anyway) then thats a problem.

Last edited:
•••
I couldn't believe they actually told me they registered an alternative. I told him (just today!) that the price of my .com will only increase and to grab it now. I feel this deal will be closed very soon. :)

Offer to sell him the traffic and emails that come to you in error. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back