IT.COM

discuss How Is This Possible Mike Mann? Please Share Some!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read an article to today and I really don't have any idea how it is possible... I applaud these sales, but I just can't seem to get my brain around how these types of names are selling for this kind of money.

Congrats Mr. Mann!

mike-mann-sales.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is Because Mike Mann is selling them, guess his name in the industry helps sell those names ,imo

Last edited:
•••
It is Because Mike Mann is selling them, guess his name in the industry helps sell those names ,imo
That's a good point. His personality and large portfolio advantage. No more, no less

•••
My question, where did he bought them?
GD expired auction/closeout?

•••
I'd skip those names if I see them

•••
More than anything it is a law of averages. If you own 400K decent domains, there will be outliers.
You only hear the stories about the ones that sell, not the 98% or 99% that don't.

Brad

•••
It's really great that Mike was able to secure those sales. However people need to understand that much of it is playing the odds. It would be nice to know for sure those specific domains would sell, and Mike would only register for those that sell and thus produce astronomical ROI numbers, but how many domains does Mike own? What is his total operating expenses (renewals, office, time, etc)? It's really misleading to say your ROI is such and such for that one domain but the real cost is hidden with the ones that didn't sell. Not trying to negative here because Mike deserves our congratulations, but there's a bigger picture than him selling these domains at high prices.

•••
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

•••
Well said @deez007, I am in full agreement.

•••
This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

Actually, we don't know sh**. :roll: Might be a big shady plot to encourage everyone to buy stupid names in hopes of replicating what these guys are doing. :?:

•••
But how does he do it with these kind of names? Does he reach out to potential buyers, if so what kind of buyers that buy 'thingstodonearme' and willing to spend $xxxxx on them. I struggle to get that on my decent 4L names that I own.

•••
I haven't looked at his portfolio, but if he is monetising his names, then he should be covering registration costs. Getting maximum exposure for his names could increase traffic as well.

•••
•••
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

Anything is possible but I don't think he gets any kind of special treatment from Verisign. Verisign has a monopoly over .COM. You don't discount when you're in that position. IMO.

He only reports generic type domains selling over $2k. Yet his portofolio is filled with JoesPizza.com & SmithAndSons.com type of domains listed for $350. He must be selling a f$%# ton of those as well.

Prices he gets for the sales he reports are crazy, yes, but the domains are not bad IMO. They're natural language and thus hard to go around for an end user that needs this or that phrase for marketing or whatever.

IMO...

•••
Anything is possible but I don't think he gets any kind of special treatment from Verisign. Verisign has a monopoly over .COM. You don't discount when you're in that position. IMO.

He only reports generic type domains selling over $2k. Yet his portofolio is filled with JoesPizza.com & SmithAndSons.com type of domains listed for $350. He must be selling a f$%# ton of those as well.

Prices he gets for the sales he reports are crazy, yes, but the domains are not bad IMO. They're natural language and thus hard to go around for an end user that needs this or that phrase for marketing or whatever.

IMO...

Thats the thing mate, I get what you are saying but with any business model...monopoly or not, customers who buy massive volumes don't get standard pricing. He probably has more domains than some of the smaller registrars.

Also, when we crunch the numbers...even if we include the f$%# ton of sales he might be making at $350. if he sells 100 of those per month (which I doubt he does) thats only $35K per month... that still leaves him with another $$270k or so he needs to make just to cover renewals..again, not including tax, his own drawings, staff costs, utilities and other business expenses.

Last edited:
•••
His market is DomainMarket.com
CigaretteElectro.com was mine and I let it drop last year! :xf.smile:

•••
Thats the thing mate, I get what you are saying but with any business model...monopoly or not, customers who buy massive volumes don't get standard pricing. He probably has more domains than some of the smaller registrars.

Also, when we crunch the numbers...even if we include the f$%# ton of sales he might be making at $350. if he sells 100 of those per month (which I doubt he does) thats only $35K per month... that still leaves him with another $$270k or so he needs to make just to cover renewals..again, not including tax, his own drawings, staff costs, utilities and other business expenses.

Still the same. I mean how many times have we spoken about it. He dosen`t get any discount.
he is making shit load of money.
My god

•••
Still the same. I mean how many times have we spoken about it. He dosen`t get any discount.
he is making sh*t load of money.
My god

You mean mean the 1 time before when you replied and pretty much said the same thing... that he doesn't get discounts and he makes loads of money... hmm so because we spoke about it and because you say it's not the case... it has to be true?

I was clear in my statement, business expenses need to be taken into consideration and it's not a case of him investing $20 and making $xx xxx as his tweets imply. I was very clear in my statement being pure speculation. Was I adamant that my theory was right? No!... does that mean you are right? No!... It simply means, anything is possible.

Last edited:
•••
You mean mean the 1 time before when you replied and pretty much said the same thing... that he doesn't get discounts and he makes loads of money... hmm so because we spoke about it and because you say it's not the case... it has to be true?

I was clear in my statement, business expenses need to be taken into consideration and it's not a case of him investing $20 and making $xx xxx as his tweets imply. I was very clear in my statement being pure speculation. Was I adamant that my theory was right? No!... does that mean you are right? No!... It simply means, anything is possible.

You need to cut smoking marijuana and come back to real world.

•••
You need to cut smoking marijuana and come back to real world.

You still need to figure out what the "real world" is.

•••
Which "real world" would that be @domeen? YOUR reality? YOUR assumptions? YOUR opinions? YOUR world must be the only truth, right?

•••
•••
I think his personality and diversity of his portifolio does more in this purchases

•••
That's a good point. His personality and large portfolio advantage. No more, no less

Do you really think that everyone that bought domain name from him knew him or have heard about him before? Funny. You guys clearly aren't seeing his dynamics.

•••
Damn, these sales giving me inspirational boost! Gotta launch Mission Outbound!! :spiderman:
No seriously, anyone got any good outbound email templates?

•••
Back