NameSilo

discuss How Is This Possible Mike Mann? Please Share Some!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read an article to today and I really don't have any idea how it is possible... I applaud these sales, but I just can't seem to get my brain around how these types of names are selling for this kind of money.

Congrats Mr. Mann!

mike-mann-sales.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Damn, these sales giving me inspirational boost! Gotta launch Mission Outbound!! :spiderman:
No seriously, anyone got any good outbound email templates?

•••
Guys, don't forget that information is power. And Mike has a huge sample to data-mine (customer behavior/preferences in domain name vertical), giving him a colossal advantage over all of us.

•••
His market is DomainMarket.com
CigaretteElectro.com was mine and I let it drop last year! :xf.smile:
CigaretteElectro.com - $29,888 USD

I can't see how he gets that price. The words aren't even in the correct order. :)

•••
Why do you take it so seroiosly? I mean - I like to make jokes. And I think its funny, if you live at the age of 35 with your mom and "trade" domains for a living. I mean it`s funny isn`t it?

1.) No, it's not funny making jokes about a persons mother especially if she has passed away.

2.) Anyone that is 35 and staying with their parents has got some serious issues, irrespective what they do for a living. If they are domainers then they need to stop cos it's not working for them.

3.) You are not funny, stop making jokes...leave that to people who actually have a sense of humor.

Last edited:
•••
Im not calling these sales untrue, just weird.

The is no domain buyer that will brag about having bought a mike mann domain.

To me, its just not logical. I have years of studying sales. Day in and day out. I dont see name like these where people are paying 5 figures. Period.

I had asked if they were financed and i was told no.

I just dont get it.

Imagine looking at 400k names and you pick those? When you look at the available alternatives it just doesnt seem logical.

Anyway, maybe i should start reporting the spam inquiries i get everyday through my efty landers as sales. :)

I hope those names he sold update on whois to the new owners so i can reach out and offer them some names!

Either that or i will start advertising my domains in the local pubs where people with money drink!

:)

Last edited:
•••
SaltandPepperHome.com for almost 30 grand? I wouldn't think SaltandPepper.com would be worth that.

•••
It is easy, he most probably has a list of clients that he sells to from the past transactions.

The problem with that is.... if u buy a 100% unique product from someone for lets say $5000 then that person goes on a twitter frenzy about how he paid $20 for the product that he sold for $5000 and mentions the 100% product in his tweet so everyone knows it was you that bought it... would you be happy to do business with him again?

•••
You also have to keep in mind that it's not just Mike Mann selling those domains. He has a team working with him. So who knows how they grind to get this done.
Exactly. He and his people are researching. As random as the names appear, they are clearly not random. Its really awesome to see the results. Having the resources is key to achieving more.

Like they say, if you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go as a team.

He and his team have gone far.

•••
But how does he do it with these kind of names? Does he reach out to potential buyers, if so what kind of buyers that buy 'thingstodonearme' and willing to spend $xxxxx on them. I struggle to get that on my decent 4L names that I own.

•••
The elephant in the room off course is that whilst he may have turned a $20 investment into $xx xxx sounds all good and dandy. As mentoned above by @xn--v4h.com this does not equate to actual business profit. Basically, if we had to break down his annual renewal costs into a monthly expense. Then his monthly expenses would be over $300 000 per month if he has like 400 000 domains. Now when you start factoring his sales revenue vs his monthly expenses (doesn't even include - Tax, his personal drawings, any staff costs, utilities and any other business expenses he has) Then things look very different.

This is why I have said a few times that I'm sure he gets a highly discounted rate on renewels AND he could even be getting paid/sponsored/funded by a registry to be a marketing engine for the domaining industry. The amount of hype thats created when he tweets about some of his sales is pure marketing gold. It encourages new people to get into the domaining industry and it encourages people who are battling in the domaining industry to keep battling (keep buying) until the get that one or two big sales.

This also leads me to wonder (purely speculation off course)...I am not making any claims, this is just a theory....how valid are these sales? Sure some might be real but how do we know that a certain amount of them are not smoke and mirror sales...purely to drive this marketing engine?

Anything is possible but I don't think he gets any kind of special treatment from Verisign. Verisign has a monopoly over .COM. You don't discount when you're in that position. IMO.

He only reports generic type domains selling over $2k. Yet his portofolio is filled with JoesPizza.com & SmithAndSons.com type of domains listed for $350. He must be selling a f$%# ton of those as well.

Prices he gets for the sales he reports are crazy, yes, but the domains are not bad IMO. They're natural language and thus hard to go around for an end user that needs this or that phrase for marketing or whatever.

IMO...

•••
Which "real world" would that be @domeen? YOUR reality? YOUR assumptions? YOUR opinions? YOUR world must be the only truth, right?

Its the experience, its the know how. I would even say the life experience.

If you have been in this indrustry for as long as I have, you know it all. You know how things are done. How things should be done. How much someone is making etc.. Its not the education - it dosen`t hurt to get one, but its the life experinece. I don´t know how to describe it.

This are things you can`t get smoking weed all day and "trading" domains at your mom`s house. And get paranoid that maybe she is not makind diner for you today.

You have to know what domains to register, how to get most money out of them.

Thats the life, thats real life.

Last edited:
•••
Its the experience, its the know how. I would even say the life experience.

If you have been in this indrustry for as long as I have, you know it all. You know how things are done. How things should be done. How much someone is making etc.. Its not the education - it dosen`t hurt to get one, but its the life experinece. I don´t know how to describe it.

This are things you can`t get smoking weed all day and "trading" domains at your mom`s house. And get paranoid that maybe she is not makind diner for you today.

You have to know what domains to register, how to get most money out of them.

Thats the life, thats real life.

Anyone that claims to "KNOW IT ALL" actually shows that they know nothing.

Anyone trading domains from their mums house should stop tradinging domains cos they clearly have no clue what they are doing

Anyone smoking weed all day should stop smoking weed cos they are abusing it.

•••
You see @domeen, if by "Life experience" you mean making assumptions, talking down to other people, and being judgmental and narcissistic , the answer is NO, you can be sure I will NEVER "get" it.

Generally insecure people feel the need to behave like that. :)

•••
I dont see how trading domains at your MOMS house would be different to trading domains at your own house or office.

Maybe his mum would point out that keeping a load of domain names hanging around doing nothing while you wait for someone to buy them, is not the smartest business move. She might say "Kick them up the .com and get them earning some money". :)

•••
@domeen If i was mm I wouldn't be looking for a discount on domain renewals I'D BE BLOODY DEMANDING IT. :laugh:

Last edited:
•••
I am trying to sell 200 time better domain from him but I am still in dark. Can anyone tell him to send any "End User" of my name who can pay me $xxxx. I will give him at least 99% commission.

•••
The 'MM style' business model is:

Dot coms will not only continue to go up in value but also broaden (what seems sucky today will be a lot less sucky in the future)

It doesn't matter if making a profit this year or next or the year after, just that a significant cash flow flowing.

Don't live on domain sale income.

If you want to purchase a name from the port, you better bring a cash truck, or might as well keep it for that future payday era.

The goal is to be owning a #%^& load of domains when they are more valuable in the future.

•••
The 'MM style' business model is:

Dot coms will not only continue to go up in value but also broaden (what seems sucky today will be a lot less sucky in the future)

It doesn't matter if making a profit this year or next or the year after, just that a significant cash flow flowing.

Don't live on domain sale income.

If you want to purchase a name from the port, you better bring a cash truck, or might as well keep it for that future payday era.

The goal is to be owning a #%^& load of domains when they are more valuable in the future.
I just told that to a guy offering on one of my domains today! Believe it or not, I acquired a domain about a month ago for a great price. I put up an efty lander and got an offer right away. The offer was low, but the conversation started. I priced the domain high, and the buyer walked away. A few days later, they contact me to tell me they registered the same name but as a new gtld. My response was, I love it! I would love to see you build your business around a new gtld of my .com!

I couldn't believe they actually told me they registered an alternative. I told him (just today!) that the price of my .com will only increase and to grab it now. I feel this deal will be closed very soon. :)

•••
FYI on the "NearMe" domain he sold, its part of a local seo phenomenon. Basically "Near Me" searches have grown exponentially over the past 10 years. With things like "Restaurants Near Me" being searched millions of times per month. So owning the domain of such terms if they are significant i.e (100k+monthly searches) actually has value because the scary thing about this trend is the search volume is actually increasing YOY. Not many people have tapped into this niche so it was actually a very smart purchase and flip, some people may call it lucky, but there is no luck in that sale. He and his team knew exactly what they were doing and can distinguish value in places people don't normally look.

I own "Nail Salon Near Me" in .com, and to most peoples surprise it gets a Search Volume of 1,220,000/month. People may laugh at you and question your rationale but if you always have an edge it doesn't matter what they think.

Great sales.

Last edited:
•••
My question, where did he bought them?
GD expired auction/closeout?

•••
I think his personality and diversity of his portifolio does more in this purchases

•••
I dont see how trading domains at your MOMS house would be different to trading domains at your own house or office.

Thats my point, you don´t get it. You need more experience, life experience, then you get it.
I am sure of it. I have never "traded" domains at my moms house.

deez dosen´t get it either, thats why you two trade domains at your moms house. And think that Mike is getting huge discounts and dosen´t make any money at all. Barely brakes even!

i mean guys, you most be joking right. Or be on some dope ass weed

Thats my point guys.

Last edited:
•••
You see @domeen, if by "Life experience" you mean making assumptions, talking down to other people, and being judgmental and narcissistic , the answer is NO, you can be sure I will NEVER "get" it.

but you can try. all that I can say

•••
Thats my point, you don´t get it. You need more experience, life experience, then you get it.
I am sure of it. I have never "traded" domains at my moms house.

deez dosen´t get it either, thats why you two trade domains at your moms house. And think that Mike is getting huge discounts and dosen´t make any money at all. Barely brakes even!

i mean guys, you most be joking right. Or be on some dope ass weed

Thats my point guys.

No your point is that you are CLUELESS about life, business and everything inbetween.

Anyone who goes around making stupid assumptions that some of us are trading domains at our mums house must be smoking crack!

Where did I say he bearly breaks even or doesn't make any money at all? You claim to be Mr know it all but you are unable to read and comphrend basic ENGLISH... I said there is more to the picture than we are being shown...simple! You can accept it then thats your problem..

Your opinion, you entitled to it... I said so in my previous comment..yet you seem to lack the ability to consider that other people can have opinions that differ from yours. Wouldn't be surprised if you actually live in Daddy's basement trading domains...

Last edited:
•••
I just read an article to today and I really don't have any idea how it is possible... I applaud these sales, but I just can't seem to get my brain around how these types of names are selling for this kind of money.

Congrats Mr. Mann!

Show attachment 64030

I often wonder this too. Names which I wouldnt ever dream of registering selling for that kind of money. You can say that it could be down to his exposure, but even so, selling what you and me would seem like a poor quality name for top dollar just doesn't make sense. I guess that will always been one of his little secrets!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back