IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When i read about XR the description of 'XR' is often talks about VR/AR 'merging' so still say Merged Reality would be the better term, but of course i would lol.

Intel are promoting it wrong for that to happen though, whether they change at the next tech event and call 'Merged Reality' an evolution of VR/AR like they seemed to when Project Alloy was first announced last August and how Ericson described 'Merged Reality' naming it one the techs to watch out for in 2017 or whether they carry on and promote it as new industry alongside Virtual/Augmented/Mixed like they did at CES2017 and on their website, i don't know.

I'm not worried about XR too much yet though, barely any news articles on it in the past week and social media isn't exactly going crazy over it.

Next tech event if major companies start saying XR instead of VR/AR/MR that's when i'll start to worry a bit about the term, as I've not invested in it at all.
Quite honestly, I have now made 4 chance bets on XR. Very strong & broad keywords with it.
Good chance I will flip them before renewal. I really don't see a end use. Someone else will.
You can not play this precisely when there are to many loose definitions for it.
But I can't see it going to far till someone makes a single product for sale and/or markets it solely as XR.
You will not see me make more than 6 chance bets till I have something to go on.
Could happen, but I'm not seeing it yet. Nobody currently producing anything has a incentive to do so.
No consumer has a reason to search for it. Outside of," WHAT IS IT ?"
But it could just be a limited B2B play only for names. That's my 'current' thinking anyway.

But , I am playing a little loose with my names right now and have temporarily tossed my personal rule book aside somewhat for a few months on purchases for specific reasons.
I may reveal why latter, when it's over.

•••
Quite honestly, I have now made 4 chance bets on XR. Very strong & broad keywords with it.
Good chance I will flip them before renewal. I really don't see a end use. Someone else will.
You can not play this precisely when there are to many loose definitions for it.
But I can't see it going to far till someone makes a single product for sale and/or markets it solely as XR.
You will not see me make more than 6 chance bets till I have something to go on.
Could happen, but I'm not seeing it yet. Nobody currently producing anything has a incentive to do so.
But it could just be a limited B2B play only for names. That's my 'current' thinking anyway.

But , I am playing a little loose with my names right now and have temporarily tossed my personal rule book aside somewhat for a few months on purchases for specific reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 47
•••
•••
•••
•••

Best keep it minimal to be honest mate.

All these new terms every few weeks, wondering if domains are a necessity in these type of techs, it does make you think twice splashing the cash on something, twiddling your thumbs for years, wondering if you’ve done the right thing or not.

It's an unpredictable market all said and done.

Last edited:
•••
@xr reality has tempted me to reg some more XR's :ROFL:

I see XR really being used for branding purposes so added a few brandables I like:

Metaverse XR
XR Metaverse
Universal XR
XR Universal
XR Realm

I never learn :xf.eek:

•••
It became the xR thread :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I would advice again to keep it premium.

I saw already very average names being regged. I understand that people dont wanna miss out if anything happens and this xr becomes something but its better to keep researching and making lists as long as its still xR thats not connected to anything specific that consumer can relate to

•••
It became the xR thread :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I would advice again to keep it premium.

I saw already very average names being regged. I understand that people dont wanna miss out if anything happens and this xr becomes something but its better to keep researching and making lists as long as its still xR thats not connected to anything specific that consumer can relate to

I think it depends what XR is going to mean for the industry though Elad.

This isn't going to be a keyword that is going to be used for individual techs like VR/AR will.

Therefore companies wanting to use this term will likely wan't to do so if they offer services that fall under the realities umbrella.

That is why I think XR could be good for branding.

So I am not sure if premium is going to be the 100% correct way to go with XR.

Some premium names will make more sense than others.

I,e openXR, WebXR, XRads are all great names for XR.

Where as the keyword Poker would be better suited to more individual tech's such as VR/AR imo.

You need to think that XR is being pushed as an umbrella term so it makes more sense to me to be more suited to branding and umbrella services like design for VR and AR combined etc.

Jmo though

Last edited:
•••

This isn't going to be a keyword that is going to be used for individual techs like VR/AR will.

Therefore companies wanting to use this term will likely wan't to do so if they offer services that fall under the realities umbrella.

Where as the keyword Poker would be better suited to more individual tech's such as VR/AR imo.

You need to think that XR is being pushed as an umbrella term so it makes more sense to me to be more suited to branding and umbrella services like design for VR and AR combined etc.

Jmo though

For now it can work and already working for startups that are working with other companies, pitching to VC's.
As long as no consumer is involved its ok as there is less confusion.. Then i ask myself if the need is big enough to buy a name for real money.
Imho, you want consumers, give them something to swallow first, therefore they need a longtail to explain it all and not xR which is VR+MR+AR..

Jmho.

•••
For now it can work and already working for startups that are working with other companies, pitching to VC's.
As long as no consumer is involved its ok as there is less confusion.. Then i ask myself if the need is big enough to buy a name for real money.
Imho, you want consumers, give them something to swallow first, therefore they need a longtail to explain it all and not xR which is VR+MR+AR..

Jmho.

Agree mate, that is why I see XR being a company branding term over consumer search term.

But companies are probably who I would be looking for if I wanted end users so hopefully XR will work.

•••

Jmo though
As I said, My current thinking is a B2B play for those in general innovation, not the retail supply chain.

Lots going on for content right now. A sample...

Starbreeze - Payday 2VR
https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/05/starbreeze-announce-payday-2-vr-for-htc-vive/

Google swallows Best VR Game studio
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/...am-vr-owlchemy-labs-acquisition-job-simulator

Nvidia just unveiled the millionth VR ‘Holodeck,’ and it’s for looking at cars
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/15613018/nvidia-vr-project-holodeck-koenigsegg-car-demo

•••
Added one more ar name to collection

ArCelebrities.com to go with ArCelebrity.com

I can see an overlay technology selfie style use get your photo taken next to your favourite celebrity with the use of your smartphone.

Last edited:
•••
This content warning still has legs. Just because it disappears from the headlines from time to time does not mean it goes away.
http://advanced-television.com/2017/05/11/analyst-warns-of-vr-content-shortage/

Several times I have tried to explain why any AR and MR development will take some time because you need compelling content to sell to the masses. (to give folks more than 2 reasons to want it)
Just reminding everyone playing those niches about timelines for your names.

The good side of this as I have stated before is those new WMR compatible devices will do VR and allow some WMR interaction as it comes to be. A solid play as I see the content side of the equation, but will take some time. If not for them, you would be waiting much longer for any WMR content to help sell WMR Hardware. Without consumer hardware, there is no content development. (chicken or the egg issue)

All of that WMR development benefits Hololens more than anyone in the long run.
Anyone who is not WMR compatible will face a strong headwind with these 'content issues'.

Last edited:
•••
This content warning still has legs. Just because it disappears from the headlines from time to time does not mean it goes away.
http://advanced-television.com/2017/05/11/analyst-warns-of-vr-content-shortage/

Several times I have tried to explain why any AR and MR development will take some time because you need compelling content to sell to the masses. (to give folks more than 2 reasons to want it)
Just reminding everyone playing those niches about timelines for your names.

The good side of this as I have stated before is those new WMR compatible devices will do VR and allow some WMR interaction as it comes to be. A solid play as I see the content side of the equation, but will take some time. If not for them, you would be waiting much longer for any WMR content to help sell WMR Hardware. Without consumer hardware, there is no content development. (chicken or the egg issue)

All of that WMR development benefits Hololens more than anyone in the long run.
Anyone who is not WMR compatible will face a strong headwind with these 'content issues'.

Totally agree. While VR and AR is here to stay there's just too much going on developmentally to go mainstream right now.

That's why I've invested in some Live360 Domains. And yes there's a lot of variations of order but Live360+Keyword rolls off the tongue.

End user technology (phones, headsets etc) is already here and with Facebook, Twitter and YouTube not only accommodating 360, 360 streaming but giving away high end 360 Cameras to stimulate content creation.

I believe that 360 and Live 360 streaming of personal experiences and commercial events will hit the mainstream long before Interacrive VR/AR.

There's also a plethora of affordable 360 cameras coming out ATM so users can not only watch 360 and Live 360 but get involved in the creation of it en masse. Master stroke by Facebook creating 'Live360' IMO.

You have to make VR accessible, and with so many people owning the end user 360 technology and having a vehicle that appeals to their ego it will titilate their interest in VR.

We have to walk before we can run

https://facebook360.fb.com/live360/

https://media.fb.com/2017/03/29/bringing-live-360-to-everyone/

Last edited:
•••
I don’t post in the VR thread anymore after one of my posts got deleted.

But just checked it out, I’ve never been one to pull other people’s registrations down but good god, those domains are never going to be sold, it’s just like walls of spam in there now.

Someone just starting out you can see why they want to get in on the act, i was the same 18 months ago, but you can’t register any decent VR+keywords now, so take a few risks on XR, even MR where you can still get decent registrations.

That’s what I’d do anyway if i was just starting today.

Last edited:
•••

But just checked it out, I’ve never been one to pull other people’s registrations down but good god, those domains are never going to be sold, it’s just like walls of spam in there now.

Someone just starting out you can see why they want to get in on the act, i was the same 18 months ago, but you can’t register any decent VR+keywords now, so take a few risks on XR, even MR where you can still get decent registrations.

Good advice but I think most decent MR registrations are already gone and it is getting similar with XR as well now I believe.

I think it's got to the stage where reg fee's are quite hard to come by, obviously everyone has their own taste and might find something unregisteted that someone hasn't thought of already.

But I would say that registering every dictionary word with these tech acronyms is not advisable. People really need to think of the feasability of someone wanting to pay decent money to put the domain to good end use.

I have done many awful reg's myself but you need to realise what your good/bad domains are in a portfolio pretty quickly because renewing everything can be a harsh reality.

Last edited:
•••

Even MR  :xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:
Well i just got another great MR name but who knows, it became a total underdog for you guys lol

Last edited:
•••
Tbf I've not had a look what MR domains are available, I'm sure there's slightly more choice than VR though.

People are even doing keyword+VR+VR now and random letters like AGE4VR.com and then trying to come up with ridiculous things what it can stand for, 'Augmented Gaming Experiences For Virtual Reality' ?

•••
Tbf I've not had a look what MR domains are available, I'm sure there's slightly more choice than VR though.

People are even doing keyword+VR+VR now and random letters like AGE4VR.com and then trying to come up with ridiculous things what it can stand for, 'Augmented Gaming Experiences For Virtual Reality' ?

Yeah mate, in that case there are lots of MR domains available :ROFL:

I was talking about acronym + single keyword lol

•••

Like some wise soul said to me (when I first started regging absolute trash :banghead:...and still am for that matter :woot:) the scarcity of even crap names is good for the VR dn owners with decent names. I say let them crack on and good luck to them.

•••
Added my first 360 name, well that I can remember anyway lol:

360 Creator (.com)

•••
•••
Just got "M R C a m" and "M R P r o j e c t o r" both in the king of com

•••
Check out the Google trend for Mixed Reality (MR)
Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 11.55.53 AM.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back