IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
$3,500 is a lot of money in this current economy plus a tethered battery pack need some killer things to make me excited . The current offerings on price , finished product has not got me there yet .

•••
regged this hack some time ago

SpatialComputi.ng

$3,500 is a lot of money in this current economy plus a tethered battery pack need some killer things to make me excited . The current offerings on price , finished product has not got me there yet .
hopefully there are enough people whose desire to be first on this is higher than rational thinking.

Its apple;
I think there will be enough participants... ; )

Last edited:
•••
hopefully there are enough people whose desire to be first on this is higher than rational thinking.

Its apple;
I think there will be enough participants... ; )
No hoping to it. It will sell and I'm sure Apple has figured out their initial saturation levels.

I am curious about demand after 90 days, when others see it and test it themselves.
Seeing is believing in the field. And nobody will have something to truly compete with this till perhaps the
Google/Samsung/Qualcomm device perhaps at the end of the year. And while it will likely stand over Meta. I doubt it will stand above or near Apple.
It is price oriented.
The ultimate goal in my eyes is to have more units of any flavor in the field, so I don't care which one is king.
It is imperative for names sales that we have been expecting that there are more people developing stuff for them.
The only way to get there is to have more units in peoples hands, which is more potential sales for dev's.
The more dev, the more names demand.
No matter what happens with anyone else, Apple will continue to dominate headlines in the field for the year.

What everyone needs to be ready for is slang terms users use in describing some of it, for if any of them goes mainstream, you have a new term to deal with in names. An example of a previous term for understanding...
'selfie'

•••
Unfortunately, we do not have any context for how that was said, but reading it carefully, it look as though they are saying this to independent app developers. But perhaps it is their corp devs ?
And we do not know with what type of app(s).
However, I will look inside the Apple dev program announcements and see if I can find where in context that is from.

But in any case, Good luck with that Apple. The consumers will call it what they will just as domainer's do...LOL

I can see them at least initially trying to maintain, that what they have is different. That is true.
And not wanting to get lumped in with others.

But in my opinion, just by definition, spacial computing app would be one that utilizes 3D space in it's interactivity.
So, reaching out to an object that is further away than some other would be an example of that.
So, it is not VR exactly. which could be a flat 3D if you can imagine that. Being the difference of interactivity within the space.
Hard definition yet once again. But I think this was well covered decades ago by the term "virtuality".

Anyway.... one more word war on the horizon. A lot of FOO has been flung.
We will see what stands the test of time and sticks to hold the BAR.

When you say "But in any case, Good luck with that Apple. The consumers will call it what they will just as domainer's do...LOL"

It's proof that all this time, all these years on this forum, you STILL have absolutely no idea what domain investing is!

Domain investors who know what they're doing take into account what consumers are searching for and also the terms that businesses are using to market themselves with, because they often times will try to acquire domains that embody their marketing message.

If Apple becomes the leader in this industry and they are forcing their ecosystem to only use Spatial Computing to describe their products and services that is not something domain investors that know what they're doing will ignore.

This is what seperates domain collectors and domain investors.

You have never reported a sale after being here since ancient times, and I strongly believe it's because you don't understand how the domain industry actually works. And it's shocking, because you're on this site giving more advice on this site than any other member!

•••
•••
When you say "But in any case, Good luck with that Apple. The consumers will call it what they will just as domainer's do...LOL"

It's proof that all this time, all these years on this forum, you STILL have absolutely no idea what domain investing is!

Domain investors who know what they're doing take into account what consumers are searching for and also the terms that businesses are using to market themselves with, because they often times will try to acquire domains that embody their marketing message.

If Apple becomes the leader in this industry and they are forcing their ecosystem to only use Spatial Computing to describe their products and services that is not something domain investors that know what they're doing will ignore.

You have never reported a sale after being here since ancient times, and I strongly believe it's because you don't understand how the domain industry actually works. And it's shocking, because you're on this site giving more advice on this site than any other member!

And to be clear:

Am I telling everyone to go purchase and reg Spatial Computing domains?? No, absolutely not! That's your call to make, but when industry leaders are restricting what terms businesses can use on their eco systems, that is a notable development not to be ignored.

Domain investing isn't about your personal preference for a keyword or what you personally think sounds nice, especially if it contrasts with business standards.

But at the end of the day, investing in any speculative niche will always be a risk.

The most successful domain investors may dabble in a niche here and there, but the majority of their portfolios are usually broadly diversified. Primarily investing in these kind of hype niches is a common newbie mistake that many fall for, because it's lazy thinking, relying on what crowd's talking about, instead of doing your own research. I've also been terribly guilty of this in the past.

Live and learn (from others' mistakes)!

•••
Last edited:
•••
Some AR news:-

Magicleap – Secures $590m in funding from Saudi Arabia sovereign wealth fund:-

https://www.xrtoday.com/augmented-r...o-competitor-gains-half-a-billion-in-funding/

Rokid AR Raises $70 Million in latest round of funding, raised $112m in November:-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charli...maai-grabs-43-as-big-tech-lays-off-thousands/

Lots of AR devices showcased at CES, xReal been getting good press and reviews, price tag less than Vision Pro ($699).
Nimo is another competitor, offering AR glasses.

If the quality really looks like this, it is already phenomenal.

•••

Still TROLLING me I see.

You seem to be good about calling things other than what they are. Part of my fair example I guess.

How is your XR name collecting going ?
Was it better than the metaverse collection ?
Was it better than MR name collecting ?
Will any of it be better than your spatial collection ?

So far, I think I have a pretty good track record for calls I have made.
You keep doing things I provided a word of cation about.
So, it's not my fault you have been loosing money. Shoot the messenger ?

I am beginning to think you make money from hypeing names and selling to investors and I spoil your party.
But that is unlikely now isn't it.

Even though 2023 was a weak year for me, it was a profitable year.
Thanks anyway. Troll on...
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 12-19-11 NameSilo Marketplace.png

•••
Nimo is another competitor, offering AR glasses.

If the quality really looks like this, it is already phenomenal.

While I do not want to disrespect a product I have not fully researched,
I can tell you that video is pure marketing. So, don't get over-hyped on 'just that'.

One of the many reasons Apple's device is so expensive, is the display.(and it's own designed fast CPU/GPU)
It is quite expensive to get to that pixel density, and Apple looks to have that wrapped up for a little while anyway.
But they are working on a newer tech display in a partnership that can have even more density, but at a much lower price and that should be in the next model Apple had promised would not be to far behind their 1st.
But we will see.

I guess I am only trying to convey to you is that it is not just hard to get that kind of hi-res, but expensive.
It will get cheaper with time. Is the video realistic? Hard to say. You just have to try one in person I guess,
whenever they come out.

It will not be long and many of these new items will be in the hands of real people. And we will know.
But Apple is likely to steal all the oxygen from the room till near the end of the year.

But competition is a good thing for us in the domaining world.

•••
It might surprise some of you to know that Apple did not coin the term 'spatial computing'
That happened 20+ years ago. More so adopted by researchers in publications 10 years ago.
And is likely why they did not directly TM it.
But after some more thought on the subject, I see a move they made in order to potentially provide some protection in the future.
That was a separate TM on a APP for it. Spatial Memories I think it was. This was in 2023 around announcement time.
This does not give them any type of full protection, it does keep many from getting to close to some area they seem to want the protection for. And the claim is actually on the spatial audio believe it or not. One more old term they do not control but incorporated in a way that will give them some level of protection for limited things.

It stood out to me as a bit odd till you look at it more broadly.
Perhaps we will better understand this at a later date.

•••
Things I’ve read, a few are complaining about weight and virtual keyboard on Vision Pro, but overall a lot of reviews seem positive.

Apple have only built a limited number of units, which have sold out straight way and these only can be bought through Apple (not going to be in stores) and you have to say exclusive to US only, it’s getting released in other countries late 2024, but will it be too late then if another headset is on the horizon? So dismissing price tag, I think there are limitations on how big this can become.

You have to say this sounds more like a developer kit than actual game changing product at this stage, similar to Oculus Rift first headset over 10 years ago with Apple testing the water, only difference is Apple are not promoting it as that.

Is that a good/bad move? I don’t know. $3,500 for developer kits is not going to get the same press and sell out in the masses, so that’s why they are not promoting as that (good for Apple), but same time a device that is costing people $3,500 not called 'developer kit' with imperfections, can put people off Apple’s vision of ‘spatial computing’ in the same way it has with VR headsets (so far).

Last edited:
•••
Still TROLLING me I see.

You seem to be good about calling things other than what they are. Part of my fair example I guess.

How is your XR name collecting going ?
Was it better than the metaverse collection ?
Was it better than MR name collecting ?
Will any of it be better than your spatial collection ?

So far, I think I have a pretty good track record for calls I have made.
You keep doing things I provided a word of cation about.
So, it's not my fault you have been loosing money. Shoot the messenger ?

I am beginning to think you make money from hypeing names and selling to investors and I spoil your party.
But that is unlikely now isn't it.

Even though 2023 was a weak year for me, it was a profitable year.
Thanks anyway. Troll on...
Show attachment 251759

Just sharing my criticism of what you said. Not trolling. I made a profit on 2 XR sales totaling $1500, which is more than I've spent. And I've had many 3 and 4 figure offers for my remaining XR names.

I also made a profit on a Spatial dot extension domain a few months ago, that I will eventually report.

I don't collect, I invest with the intention of making more than I spend.

Moving right along...

Last edited:
•••
Things I’ve read, a few are complaining about weight and virtual keyboard on Vision Pro, but overall a lot of reviews seem positive.

Apple have only built a limited number of units, which have sold out straight way and these only can be bought through Apple (not going to be in stores) and you have to say exclusive to US only, it’s getting released in other countries late 2024, but will it be too late then if another headset is on the horizon? So dismissing price tag, I think there are limitations on how big this can become.

You have to say this sounds more like a developer kit than actual game changing product at this stage, similar to Oculus Rift first headset over 10 years ago with Apple testing the water, only difference is Apple are not promoting it as that.

Is that a good/bad move? I don’t know. $3,500 for developer kits is not going to get the same press and sell out in the masses, so that’s why they are not promoting as that (good for Apple), but same time a device that is costing people $3,500 not called 'developer kit' with imperfections, can put people off Apple’s vision of ‘spatial computing’ in the same way it has with VR headsets (so far).
I think we need to look at that in multi-dimension.
It will be popular and all the rave, just because there is nothing else quite like it and unlikely for a year or up to 3 to match the quality of this first model.
So, it does become a question of how you measure success.
And that measurement scale was created by Apple. They know what they are trying to accomplish.
It's not necessarily the number of units sold, as long as the initial production sells out/through in a reasonable time.

The Oculus was just a display. This is a full very powerful computer and a high end display.
You could even say it is multiple computers for there is one CPU just to manage the 3D room mapping with an ability to track multiple moving objects even while the whole unit is moving. Quite a feat in consumer tech, but it has been around..
And the main CPU is one of their design with a custom instruction set, made for 3D. Years of development just for it..

I am not really concerned if it will sell mass numbers of units. Just that it is at least self sustaining.
The second gen of the product already promises a hedge against the negative stuff you might be able to claim right now.

It was important it seems for Apple to get this out there and get a foundation of Apps started.
So, in my eyes and as I said last year, I actually consider the first iteration a developer edition, even though they are not sporting it that way. If they were t call it a Dev or Beta unit, just how to you think that would be accepted.
It is a very polished product. It needs good Apps to make it a great product. It is highly capable, but needs someone to write to that capability or it is for nothing.

I watch with concern only with respect of any final outcome could negatively effect the entire industry.
And that I deem as unlikely. They have been very aware and methodical in their approach.
And have given our niche segment the boost it needed. Or at least is about to.

•••
I don't expect any demand for it for about 5 more years. Waiting for the right end user.
But it is possible I might use it myself. But I did just adjust the price upwards 20%.

Do you think holobotic is a good name similar to yours? And how much do you think it could fetch?

•••
Do you think holobotic is a good name similar to yours? And how much do you think it could fetch?
Well, I am sorry that I can't reflect on that much. It's just not in my scope.
To have any idea, it is a bit supply and demand with a twist of possibly someone who just decides a particular name is what they have to have. The trick I guess, is knowing how you stand in that picture to set your price.

A name is worth what someone is willing to pay. A judgement you have to make by knowing who needs it and how deep their pockets might be or how many like them might feel the same..

Cat is not similar to Dog because they are both 3 letters or animals or have fur, tails or 4 paws.
Similar is an opinion that itself automatically says they are not the same.
Every name stands on it's own for value for what it is and who might need it or how badly they want it over some other.
Your price may also help them decide these things. Not many prices are similar ...LOL

•••
•••
This caught my eye while looking through the latest DEV newsletter from Meta.
Accelerate Your Mixed Reality Development with MR Utility Kit
MR Utility Kit (MRUK) is now available to help you develop faster when building spatially-aware apps. Complete with a set of utility functions, prefabs, tools, and features like Passthrough Relighting which make it more straightforward to add shadows and highlights to Passthrough. This ever-improving toolkit is designed to make it easier to create high-quality MR experiences for Meta Quest 3.
Derive from that what you wish I guess.
This is 10 days old now. But seems like some indicator.

Did Apple Vision Pro sell out? Not yet, but shipments are already being delayed​

Shipping estimates for Apple Vision Pro slipped to March within the first hour of pre-orders.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/did-a...-yet-but-shipments-are-already-being-delayed/

•••
I think it's encouraging from what we've seen. Sales seem to have been far better than many experts were forecasting. Reviews have been generally very good. There has been little or no ridiculing it as with Google Glass. It's revitalized interest in VR and even the 'Metaverse'..
Imagine if they come out with a more affordable one next year?

•••
https://www.reuters.com/technology/...eality-tie-up-information-reports-2024-03-01/

Greed is sometimes a good thing.
It looks like Meta is looking for alternatives to using Qualcomm chips.
Rather than join the Google-Samsung platform, it wants to 'OWN' it's own solution.

And as I thought about John Carmac leaving some time ago with his final comment about the limited command set available in their chips, Meta seems to realize that a partnership will leave them on the short side of margins with nothing really unique to offer but software they can manipulate and lock to the devices.

Not going to be any kind of issue for Apple. Who they are all trying to imitate on the lower end of the scale. Price.
So, Apple dev's by themselves are not likely to generate a large need for names till we see the apps more standardized across platforms. A need for standards.

This is a bit older but fair read....

Vision Pro doesn't offer $3,500 worth of value... yet: Developer​

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/vision-pro-doesnt-offer-3-184135026.html

The value is in the apps that we have yet to develop and see ! And that will lead a need for more names.
This is not going to happen overnight.
We should see some action at the end of the year but Apple is a closed environment unless devs make for all platforms.

There have been a lot of units returned to Apple. I would strike it up to more Trying and returning because it is a lot of money. And let's face it, who can vouch against 'I get sick from it' You will always have this kinda stuff but likely more with this expensive device as some over extend themselves to have it.

So, there will be a good many refurbished units hitting the market at a discount sometime soon.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back