Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would agree that it would be a good B2B play. But not in consumer g&s.

Well I suppose that is the beauty of opinions.

I see SocialVR as one of the top VR names that can be owned.

Commercially I think a company looking to set up a public social network/platform could not choose a better domain name than socialVR (.com)

Obviously that is just my opinion, appreciate yours as well :xf.wink:

•••
MergedRealityGlasses.com
MergedRealityLens.com

•••
I see SocialVR as one of the top VR names that can be owned.

Agree with you, as said a few weeks ago, Social+VR was i domain i tried to buy before i bought VR+Video.

Here's a question - I know you and Elad believe in MR, believe it will even surpass VR. So my question, If the Social+VR dot com owner approached you and offered to trade you Social+VR for Social+MR dot com would you do it?

Last edited:
•••
Agree with you, as said a few weeks ago, Social+VR was i domain i tried to buy before i bought VR+Video.

Here's a question - I know you and Elad believe in MR, believe it will even surpass VR. So my question, If the Social+VR dot com owner approached you and offered to trade you Social+VR for Social+MR dot com would you do it?

Lol

I never said MR will surpass VR.

What I mean is in 2017 we will get VR and AR. But progressing on from this we will also get a tech that uses elements of both VR & AR to create a seperate reality called mixed reality.

All have their individual benefits, VR is great for gaming, AR is perfect for advertising opportunities and mixed reality offers the potential to have digital tv's on your walls to watch live events (just examples).

Answer is, yes I would swap socialMR for socialVR.

VR is with us as I am typing this, companies are branding with it today. Although I see the massive potential in mixed reality, I would take the tech that is blowing up commercially now :xf.wink:

So the moral of this story is. Go buy SocialVR @KingslayerVR and I will swap socialMR with you :ROFL:

# EDIT - Obviously I would have to run everything past Elad first lol.

Can't see him swapping a mixed reality domain for anything :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
•••
It's sounding more interesting since microsoft are getting involved! Sticking with the 1 buy though for now and not getting too carried away.......just not yet, lol!

•••
I tried Microsoft’s first Mixed Reality headset and it was just like VR

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15627374/microsoft-windows-mixed-reality-hands-on

" I was most surprised by the actual experience of using this Mixed Reality headset. I was expecting a HoloLens setup, but it’s literally just virtual reality. You lift the visor to see the real world, but there’s no mixed reality here. It’s confusing that Microsoft has opted to call these headsets Mixed Reality. "

Last edited:
•••

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15627374/microsoft-windows-mixed-reality-hands-on

" I was most surprised by the actual experience of using this Mixed Reality headset. I was expecting a HoloLens setup, but it’s literally just virtual reality. You lift the visor to see the real world, but there’s no mixed reality here. It’s confusing that Microsoft has opted to call these headsets Mixed Reality. "

They won't be the last to say that! Everyone is confused at the min...lol

•••

"Microsoft has shown demonstrations of where these headsets map real space and putting virtual objects onto pass-through video, but I wasn't able to try this experience."

These are not proper mixed reality headsets as I am sure you are aware Lucid. These are just a stepping stone in the ecosystem microsoft is starting to build.

I don't think Microsoft should have called these headsets mixed reality personally, but they are just trying to be greedy I suppose and get the terminology out there.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
360VRAds / VR360Ads / 360-Ads

Disney Backed Jaunt And OmniVirt Are Partnering To Put More Ads Into VR

Virtual reality is here to stay but, at this point, it’s still trying to figure out exactly how to generate revenue. One tried and true method in Silicon Valley for turning an idea into cash is to start tying advertisements to it. Now, a partnership between the Disney-backed Jaunt and 360 advertising startup OmniVirt is going to see if the advertising model works in VR.

Jaunt has raised slightly over $100 million from notable partners such as Disney, Paul McCartney (yes, that Paul McCartney) and China Media Capital. The company was able to raise these funds by arriving early and impressing with proprietary technology for the creation of immersive video.

Jaunt has continued to develop new hardware for VR video, but now it seems ready to diversity its revenue potential through a new advertising strategy formed in conjunction with its partner, OmniVirt.

Read more: https://uploadvr.com/jaunt-omnivirt/

•••
•••

For me the pertinent paragraph is:

"Okay. How? When? Present-day screen- and lens-based headsets don’t work similarly enough that you can match one by making a somewhat better version of the other. We may be several years away from a device that can capture the strengths of both, and until then, there’s no point in collapsing the categories prematurely."

Exactly my take... If true "mixed reality" won't exist for several years, why the rush to brand MR now? Until AR and VR functionality truly exists in one device, the separate designations assist the public in knowing what each particular device actually does, and the terms retain their utility...

Last edited:
•••
They won't be the last to say that! Everyone is confused at the min...lol

I've said this before, if anyone other than Microsoft was taking lead on pushing the MR term I would be in 100% hook line and sinker but they have a historical track record of major blunders and missteps. They are having an identity crisis. I think they are still salted that they missed the entire boat on "consumer mobile" hence forcing the term MR prematurely. They should have just called it something like VRX or VR Plus so people know they are getting something a little extra that is ultimately still VR and not expecting too much. Then, when MR has truly matured as a tech, just rename to it. Now they'll have to deal with the headache of articles like this.

That said, I'm still going to play the MR field although grudgingly I do see promise long term and Microsoft is too big to ignore as the world's 4th most valuable brand... but emphasis on looong. I'm still buying MR names that can stand alone should the term fail but I don't think it will.

I hear this VR and AR thing though is suppose to be profitable....

Last edited:
•••

I think this is a really important paragraph :

Using the blanket “Windows Mixed Reality” label lets Microsoft stake out its own buzzword, and it echoes the idea of Windows as a single, universal platform. The company dodged around the term “augmented reality” with HoloLens because it was still associated with the maligned Google Glass, and it may be doing a similar thing with “virtual reality,” which has received its share of negative press. But insisting that HoloLens and Not-HoloLens are the same product is profoundly confusing to both users and developers — like refusing to distinguish between an Xbox and a desktop PC.

•••

360-degreeVideo

Facebook pushes further into 360-degree video with new partnership

Facebook's push to make 360-degree video ubiquitous has been bolstered through a new partnership with Blend Media, which will focus on developing a "creator community" of experts.

Blend Media is a tech platform that works with brands, agencies and publishers create 360-degree video projects.

Through the partnership, Facebook has gained access to Blend Media's library of premium content which it will harness to drive 360-degree video growth on the platform. Meanwhile, Blend Media will have direct access to Facebook's 360 team which it said will enable its own creators to “push boundaries”.

“Consumers both expect and deserve high quality engaging content, and no medium is more engaging than 360-degree video and VR. As a relatively new format, there’s a need to help nurture and support the creator community in the 360-degree video space,” said Damian Collier, founder and chief executive officer at Blend Media.

Read more: http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/05/12/facebook-pushes-further-360-degree-video-with-new-partnership

Also check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/360-degree_video

Last edited:
•••
I've said this before, if anyone other than Microsoft was taking lead on pushing the MR term I would be in 100% hook line and sinker but they have a historical track record of major blunders and missteps. They are having an identity crisis. I think they are still salted that they missed the entire boat on "consumer mobile" hence forcing the term MR prematurely. They should have just called it something like VRX or VR Plus so people know they are getting something a little extra that is ultimately still VR and not expecting too much. Then, when MR has truly matured as a tech, just rename to it. Now they'll have to deal with the headache of articles like this.

That said, I'm still going to play the MR field although grudgingly I do see promise long term and Microsoft is too big to ignore as the world's 4th most valuable brand... but emphasis on looong. I'm still buying MR names that can stand alone should the term fail but I don't think it will.

Its gonna happen faster then you guys think.
Ofcourse it can fail, no one knows what the future holds but it looks promising
Microsoft are not alone on this one(more coming soon) and are well aware and prepared to those articles .. Calling it the MR spectrum (a drop of mine lol) with immersive MR and Holographic MR is just brilliant.

Holo AR MR VR gonna rock soon.

•••

They are pushing MR and are building a consumer base / awareness. It will be better to have one term from the start because if they have called it AR people will still call it AR over the next 5 years even if the tech already shifted from AR to MR.

I can not complain. Invested thousants of euro's and it will be great if i can sell the next 6 months one or a couple of MR domains to startups.

Last edited:
•••
They are pushing MR and are building a consumer base / awareness. It will be better to have one term from the start because if they have called it AR people will still call it AR over the next 5 years even if the tech already shifted from AR to MR.

I can not complain. Invested thousants of euro's and it will be great if i can sell the next 6 months one or a couple of MR domains to startups.

True. But maybe they should have built an actual MR headset before using the term. That's my only gripe. I'm still bullish on it but it's another MS misstep imo

•••
I personally think it's a great move by Microsoft.

They will be getting a peice of the VR pie through their partnership headsets, Windows 10 & Xbox Project Scorpio for now whilest also preparing an eco system for various mixed reality solutions in the future (including the Hololens V3).

Consumers will get used to the mixed reality terminology being constantly in their face when using headsets within Windows or Xbox.

They are also doing pretty impressive with their build initiative and they seem to have gained lots of momentum in Developers building content that will be compatible with the Hololens V3 when it does eventually come to market.

It's very possible that when Microsoft are ready to release the Hololens V3, there will be sufficient content / tech advancement / brand awareness to make their mission work.

Microsoft are not trying to achieve Mixed Reality in 2017. But they do want to make sure they are the best Mixed Reality eco system for the future of Mixed Reality.

Last edited:
•••
True. But maybe they should have built an actual MR headset before using the term. That's my only gripe. I'm still bullish on it but it's another MS misstep imo

But this is also MR. When you work within a spectrum there are different types of experiences.
They will push it as Immersive vs holographic till the devices will be capable of both.
It is confusing for many but the whole thing is confusing anyways.

One thing we need to remember. The world has changed and stuff in marketing and consumer awareness (not only tech) can happen real quick.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back