Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes i know you where talking about XR. But how many in this thread have XR in the portfolio? Of course i am hoping XR sales will rise the next months / year but VR is where most in this thread have invested money and where most sales will be reported short / mid long term. I am just glad we can be all winners because of this.

He's not talking about XR.

Microsoft are still aiming at an individual tech known as mixed reality. They are just trying to build the eco system prematurely which I do agree is not the best way to do it and yes they are being greedy referring to VR capable headsets as MR.

IMO XR is an umbrella term. Mixed Reality will eventually become an individual tech but we are quite a bit away from that at the moment.

~VR will start to get better and better

~Next year will be a big year for mobile\tablet based AR

~But we are still a long way from true mixed reality devices hitting the market.

I have got some VR\AR\MR & XR so would be great if things did evolve in stages so that we see good plays with each.

JMO though.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Was that me? Not sure who this one was aimed at lol
It couldn't be xr reality he does not need help on xr terms he has enough lol

•••
I got

XRHeadsets

But still think rubbish term

•••
Wow this thread as boosted today!

I’m going to be honest with domains like XR and MR, i do question if domainers really feel these terms are going to overtake VR and be top dogs or if they are cheaper alternatives to VR premium names, saw you could get some premium keywords for reg fee or buyable prices, took a shot in the dark but then start convincing yourself over time where they are going to be.

As i said before on here, i always go with first instincts on something and when i look at first instincts of other people, Elad (for example) was posting all these emojies :ROFL: <-- at the term XR, now just a couple months on he’s one of cheerleaders for the term. How many MR investors went straight to the MR thread when first joined NamePros or started investing in MR domains from the get go? I suspect not many.

You can’t say research either changed opinion, research suggests ‘Mixed Reality’ is a marketing term by Microsoft and research (on social media) suggests ‘Mixed Reality’ is quite a disliked term by many.

I’ve seen a few ‘lols’ directed towards the term XR lately too.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, not even VR but lets just say if it was a horse race, VR would be odds on favorite, terms like 360/AR/Virtual/Immersive all have a realistic chance of winning, but terms like XR/MR are 40-1 shots.

Last edited:
•••
We'll know XR/MR will be huge when Microsoft/Google/Apple/Facebook will release dev kits containing XR/MR in their name, like ARKit and ARCore, but I don't think that will ever happen.

•••
•••

I’m going to be honest with domains like XR and MR, i do question if domainers really feel these terms are going to overtake VR and be top dogs or if they are cheaper alternatives to VR premium names, saw you could get some premium keywords for reg fee or buyable prices, took a shot in the dark but then start convincing yourself over time where they are going to be.

As i said before on here, i always go with first instincts on something and when i look at first instincts of other people, Elad (for example) was posting all these emojies :ROFL: <-- at the term XR, now just a couple months on he’s one of cheerleaders for the term. How many MR investors went straight to the MR thread when first joined NamePros or started investing in MR domains from the get go? I suspect not many.

You can’t say research either changed opinion, research suggests ‘Mixed Reality’ is a marketing term by Microsoft and research (on social media) suggests ‘Mixed Reality’ is quite a disliked term by many.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, not even VR but lets just say if it was a horse race, VR would be odds on favorite, terms like 360/AR/Virtual/Immersive all have a realistic chance of winning, but terms like XR/MR are 40-1 shots.

I like to play around, dont believe anything people say or write on forums :)

I like underdogs! ;)

•••

I also bet that people who invested into MR & XR never really thought for one moment that there was never going to be any value in VR or AR names.

I might be on my own but we are supposed to be in future tech domaining and some think just because VR is here and mobile AR is going to be pretty big in 2018 that it's case closed.

Many have predicted that mobile AR will move onto eventually become a mixed reality.

I just think there are too many closing the book in 2017 when these tech's have a very long way to progress.

•••
Way i see it is with VR, we are still wanting the tech to take off, for that to happen you need to call it what it is and what people know (VR – Virtual Reality), people know what VR is who haven’t even tried VR.

When you start trying to run before you can walk and bringing other terms into the equation like XR and trying to sell this term to the public, it’s like one of those dodgy salesman banging on your door trying to sell you something you don’t understand/know or want, more times than not it just ends with a “i’m not interested” along with the door being slammed shut.

•••
Way i see it is with VR, we are still wanting the tech to take off, for that to happen you need to call it what it is and what people know (VR – Virtual Reality), people know what VR is who haven’t even tried VR.

When you start trying to run before you can walk and bringing other terms into the equation like XR and trying to sell this term to the public, it’s like one of those dodgy salesman banging on your door trying to sell you something you don’t understand/know or want, more times than not it just ends with a “i’m not interested” along with the door being slammed shut.

No I completely agree mate. It is wrong to try and class VR anything other than what it is.

Microsoft are kinda guilty of this but hopefully their position will clarify itself over time.

I am still a strong believer we will have VR AR & Mixed Reality.

But I also understand peoples doubt's.

•••
No I completely agree mate. It is wrong to try and class VR anything other than what it is.

Microsoft are kinda guilty of this but hopefully their position will clarify itself over time.

It will get nasty. A big war is coming :)

Many terms, many start ups using all kinds of names.. As someone ones told me, keep them shiny.

•••
Well, I did not close the book on MR or even XR.
But I see no need for names. I see only a minimal need for either. And very specific needs.

But not the broad names with general keywords we might find with VR.
Every keyword that works with VR is not going to have a need in MR or XR even in 5 years.

Yes, that can change. And I'm watching for that.
When I seen many investing in the terms, I seen that confusion.
Starting with thinking MS was delivering MR (augmented virtuality) as a tech.

And to XR where as a field, we can use some term to describe it all, but if you practically need to describe any one thing, it does not work anymore.
If I go shopping for compatible software for my Vive, what do I look for ? XR ? (xr-ar or xr-vr or xr-mr)
Perhaps in 10 or more years if/when one device does all in a immersive way, that will change.

And I'm watching for that. But it's not where my money is most effective now. I am a investor.

And by then the whole landscape could change in unpredictable way anyhow.
When I started investing in VR names, I did not think it would take more than 6 years to see them fruit.
So since I was wrong about that, I could be wrong about anything except that...
...it always takes longer than you think.

•••
•••
•••
Well, I did not close the book on MR or even XR.
But I see no need for names. I see only a minimal need for either. And very specific needs.

But not the broad names with general keywords we might find with VR.
Every keyword that works with VR is not going to have a need in MR or XR even in 5 years.

Yes, that can change. And I'm watching for that.
When I seen many investing in the terms, I seen that confusion.
Starting with thinking MS was delivering MR (augmented virtuality) as a tech.

And to XR where as a field, we can use some term to describe it all, but if you practically need to describe any one thing, it does not work anymore.
If I go shopping for compatible software for my Vive, what do I look for ? XR ? (xr-ar or xr-vr or xr-mr)
Perhaps in 10 or more years if/when one device does all in a immersive way, that will change.

And I'm watching for that. But it's not where my money is most effective now. I am a investor.

And by then the whole landscape could change in unpredictable way anyhow.
When I started investing in VR names, I did not think it would take more than 6 years to see them fruit.
So since I was wrong about that, I could be wrong about anything except that...
...it always takes longer than you think.

XR is an intra-industry/dev/b2b term, not consumer. No serious company will be shipping "XR product" to stores unless they are trying to make it their personal brand like MS did MR.

•••
Got to say since investing in domain names, found a whole new respect for people who have held names for years and years and got the balls to turn down life changing offers, it's a lot harder than people think from the outside.

Like to think I’m a guy with a lot of patience but even i struggle sometimes, have own 1 or 2 domains that is regarded as ‘premium’ on paper and sometimes think to myself if a good offer and ROI came in, fuck it, just accept.

But then there’s another side to me that says, nah ride it out, hold and could be potentially big.

People who get these 6/7 figures don’t just get those 6/7 figure sales instantly, they’ve probably had the balls to turn down 5 figure offers a number of times, so deserve every penny they get when they do come to sell imo.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hand Gestures for Apple's ARKit
https://www.roadtovr.com/manomotion-brings-hand-tracking-gesture-input-apples-arkit/
Ready for a AR HMD now ! Hands free (?) Pokemon-GO ?

XR is an intra-industry/dev/b2b term, not consumer. No serious company will be shipping "XR product" to stores unless they are trying to make it their personal brand like MS did MR.
Exactly what I was trying to convey when the buying binge was going on. A B2B reference term only
Unless you buy into the eXtremReality function. And then there are those Trademarks for both.
Confounding they are to see how they will be used to protect something that I can't put a finger on.

•••
Got to say since investing in domain names, found a whole new respect for people who have held names for years and years and got the balls to turn down life changing offers, it's a lot harder than people think from the outside.

Like to think I’m a guy with a lot of patience but even i struggle sometimes, have own 1 or 2 domains that is regarded as ‘premium’ on paper and sometimes think to myself if a good offer and ROI came in, f*ck it, just accept.

But then there’s another side to me that says, nah ride it out, hold and could be potentially big.

People who get these 6/7 figures don’t just get those 6/7 figure sales instantly, they’ve probably had the balls to turn down 5 figure offers a number of times, so deserve every penny they get when they do come to sell imo.
Agreed ! While I can only speak for total generics,
It really comes from the idea and proof in the numbers that the best generic pricing comes when the market in demand is at it's peek. And for VR type media names, we are only starting.
This will not peek for at least 4 years. If you hold the names, that is what you are holding out for.
But the best Category Killers happen near the late end of things if you look at all the trend data.
If I thought I could get half of that expected value of the future, today, I would sell today rather than wait.
But less than 25%.... I'll wait ! Anything in between that is up for consideration on the spot offer over time.
If you have to much overhead in names, you may not be able to wait with all of them.
That is where a personal strategy comes to play.
You must have a plan for your circumstance (or a large disposable income) ! :sneaky:

•••
•••

No 2 companies can agree what exactly is MR, in their CEO interviews, marketing and white papers. That is not sustainable and the market will correct very quickly by simply eliminating it.

When no two consumers can agree on what a term means that's one thing, but when two companies can't even agree, there is a serious problem. Microsoft now behaves as if the term is their personal brand, discouraging other companies from wanting to use it, so they will be the only ones having to worry about that. This won't be the first time MS has alienated it's self because of it's arrogance and taking it's huge user base for granted. They think "we have the largest platform in the world, so people will adapt to whatever term we throw at them", but that's not necessarily true. MS is not a trend leader. Apple and Google are, and MS follows, because they don't have the right leadership. But their egos prevents them from getting on the bandwagon early enough to not look stupid when they realize the public isn't buying it.

That's the problem with bad leadership...

Last edited:
•••
Maybe we should start a AR vs MR Domains thread, just for fun and amusement...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back