Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic MD

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

My name is Dominic DeAngelo. I live on the east coast of the United States in the state of Pennsylvania. I've rarely participated in any public forums through the years, but I thought it was time for a change and decided on Name Pros as the place.

I've been buying and selling domains since the late 90's. I've also been building sites since around 2002. It's now 2015, and when I look back at some of the domains I've let drop and sold, and their worth today, I could cry! After taking a break from the web for a few years I went back to school and received a Web Development degree. Currently, I'm rebuilding my domain portfolio and actively freelancing to keep my development skills sharp.

I can't wait to build my first mobile application and have focused the time I have available for personal education on everything mobile. Hopefully along the way I'll make some domain sales, pickup some nice properties, and get to a know a community interested in the same things that interest me.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to talking with community members.

-Dominic

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello Dominic! Welcome, and best of success with your mobile app!

•••
Welcome to the forum Dominic!

•••
welcome to the forum.. Dominic!

•••
Hello Dominic ..welcome to the forum .:)

•••
•••
•••
•••
Welcome to NamePros Dominic

Nice intro.

•••
Welcome...can you mention a few of the Gems you dropped or let go too cheap?

•••
Welcome...can you mention a few of the Gems you dropped or let go too cheap?

I sold a pair of 3-character .com domains for approximately $1k. This was when I was new to the web, a lot younger, and didn't have the patience that I do now. When I look at similar 3-character domain prices...it hurts.

What hurts the most is the insane amount of 4-character, pronounceable .com domain names that I sold for under $100 each. Back when I registered them, it was just starting to get tough to find quality 4-character domains. I should of had the common sense to realize holding onto them would of been incredibly profitable.

I dropped some domains that are now worth a decent amount of money, as well. What made me believe these domains weren't worth the renewal fee still stumps me today.

Of course, missed opportunities to buy domains that have jumped 1000%+ today is not fun to think about either. I remember a lot of quality 3-character .com domains for $5k and under that my gut told me to buy, but I decided that it was too risky of a purchase.

Today, I'm a little smarter, much more ready and willing to trust my gut, and realize that almost any investment requires time to grow and increase in value. Actually, the stock market is a great example and is perhaps where I learned to be a lot more patient. It's where I went when I temporarily stopped selling & building online.

Live and learn.

-Dominic

•••
•••
•••
Welcome to the forum! I really can't find many members who date back to 90's (not in that sense). I started in '97/98 though. Remember the only search engine as altavista.digital.com and domain registration site as best.com and of course domainsarefree.com. No, the names were not free, you could register the name for free, then you will get a bill in the mail for $70 ($35/year). So if you did not pay in x amount of time and after 2/3 reminders, they would cancel the registration.

I am sure you also have lot of history to share with us and we can all learn from that!

•••
Welcome to the forum! I really can't find many members who date back to 90's (not in that sense). I started in '97/98 though. Remember the only search engine as altavista.digital.com and domain registration site as best.com and of course domainsarefree.com. No, the names were not free, you could register the name for free, then you will get a bill in the mail for $70 ($35/year). So if you did not pay in x amount of time and after 2/3 reminders, they would cancel the registration.

I am sure you also have lot of history to share with us and we can all learn from that!

It was a slightly different world back then. I wish I had the foresight to recognize the revenue potential those domains could have brought today, or even back then if you were one of the few that had the guts to make their own rules.

It makes me feel nostalgic when thinking about that time. Brilliant minds creating the first domain drop scripts that could grab the domain they wanted before the registrars. If that didn't work, rumors that backroom deals with the registrars themselves were not just possible, but easy for anyone with a fat wallet. Naive business owners had no clue on how to even begin registering a domain or building a website and small fortunes were made just providing services to them. Surfers couldn't tell the difference between a parked page or a website and happily clicked away, lol.

Oh man, what a great time! It's different today, but as always, the creative and motivated will succeed, just as they did back then.

Nice to chat with you!

-Dominic

•••
•••
Nice to see Veteran Returning into the game again ! Welcome Dominic !

•••
•••
•••
Hi there Dominic DeAngelo welcome aboard :)

•••
Hello Dominic :) Welcome to Namepros!

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back