IT.COM

Has anyone had any experience with DomainAgents dot com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

PatriciaS

Impact
I really can't remember why, but I was checking availability for a few of my domains on my registrar for those domains, which is EDITED: NameCheap is the registrar in question, and lo and behold there was a "Make Offer" link where there should've been a "Taken" annotation. Oh, they are definitely for sale, but that's not the point.

I clicked thru and found out that DomainAgents, a "partner" of EDITED: NAMECHEAP (I later found out), jumps ahead to try to make themselves go-between on potential sales (and earn a few bucks in the process?). For the small fee of $19.95, they'll deliver your offer -- which must be a minimum of $199 -- to the owner. Details:

DomainAgents qualifies offers by requiring domain buyers purchase a credit for $19.95. This token amount shows that your interest is serious, subsidizes the cost of our service, and helps engage the domain owner as they are paid $10 when they enter into negotiation with you.

We stand behind our service and are the only service provider to offer a service guarantee: *If we are unable to contact the domain seller and present the buyer's offer, we will provide a free DomainAgents credit to make a new offer. The credit can be used for a different domain name or to make a new offer on the same domain.

There is a reason why every year tens of thousands of people trust us to assist with their negotiations.

Maybe I overreacted, but I was livid. This was done without my knowledge, let alone permission. Is this standard practice? Is anyone else annoyed by the presumptuousness involved in this attempt to make money from my domains -- without my permission? And choose a minimum bid for me?? And probably hook me up with the escrow service of their choosing (and earn a commission??).

I raised cane with EDITED: NameCheap 'live chat" and she finally referred me to the stupid contact form on the DomainAgents website (a form that also requires a DomainAgents acct number, so that wouldn't have been much help at all). Fortunately, a few minutes later, when I checked back, all my domains were listed as "Taken" instead of "Make Offer," so I felt a little better. But I'm still really annoyed with the whole thing.

Seriously -- what do ya'll think?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back