Dynadot

gTLD or ccTLD? Which has more value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am considering to buy a 4L, either the .BIZ or the .US for low-mid $$$. Neither TLD has great prospects, IMHO. Which do you think has better long-term value? I am expecting to develop the domain. .COM is developed and out of reach. I will not be developing in the same category as the .COM

Or would I be better off buying a longer .COM with my keyword included.

This is 2 questions. So I'd appreciate 2 answers. Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is your main audience in the U.S.?
- If so, the .US could work just fine.
- If not, .US is not going to send the right message, unless it's something like show.us, teach.us, etc, that is benefited by the .us.

Unless it's something really neat like show.biz or drone.biz, I would say that .biz probably shouldn't even be an option. It's very, very low on the desirability list, and especially moreso nowadays.

Hard to say between the two without knowing more. They are very different choices (.biz vs cctld).

Personally I would far prefer to look at new gtld options than either a .us or .biz (unless it REALLY fits).

Last edited:
•••
.biz peaked long ago and outside of top keywords is not worth the investment. .us, while not stellar, still has its best days ahead of it. I think regardless of your niche, .us is more trustworthy to potential visitors on the site.

Whenever I can't decide on a longer .com or shorter gtld, I honestly just stare at them both on the screen for a couple minutes. It sounds stupid I know, but (for me at least) it makes me think what the average non-domain-investing person would think upon seeing it in search results or in an advertisement. While usually the .com wins, it's possible your .com is too long, looks weird (capitalization issues), sounds weird (first word ending in a vowel/second word starting with a vowel, the radio test), or something just stands out otherwise.

•••
I agree with the other 2, .US definitely. Anytime I see .biz I immediately think spam or out-dated. As far as whether you should get a longer 2-word .com...kind of hard to say without knowing more details.

•••
•••
•••
I would not spend more than reg fee on a .Biz or .US - currently have none as both TLDs IMO scream this is a small-time site which cannot be taken seriously. I will presume the .Net is unavailable. I believe if you plan to put some real effort into development, find a suitable though perhaps longer .COM.

•••
•••
I think that depends ! some end user will choose gtld as one part of its brand,such as data.wolrd, Seneca.systems, Quero.Education. It is quite important especially for the startups.

•••
In my opinion .us seems classy. Biz just seems that you were out of choice. Just the way I see it.

•••
- If not, .US is not going to send the right message, unless it's something like show.us, teach.us, etc, that is benefited by the .us.

Unless it's something really neat like show.biz or drone.biz, I would say that .biz probably shouldn't even be an option. It's very, very low on the desirability list, and especially moreso nowadays.

Hard to say between the two without knowing more. They are very different choices (.biz vs cctld).

Personally I would far prefer to look at new gtld options than either a .us or .biz (unless it REALLY fits).

I was just about to say basically this. It's not like a random LLLL .biz or .us hold any more credibility worldwide than a new gTLD that you may get for regfee.

•••
Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems nobody likes the .BIZ :) It was my first choice of the 2 because it is a gTLD as opposed to a ccTLD. But I felt that both imply the wrong connotation of me not being able to afford a better domain. So, by concensus, the .US, appears to be on top. The domain is an English Dictionary word. If that might sway anyone's views. The business, although global, is essentially US based.

It was almost an afterthought that I asked about a longer .COM. Because I was concentrating of having my exact 4L. I actually have a small selection of 5-8 char .com's which include the word. And I'm assuming the trust and respect of using a longer .COM outweighs the panache of having a 4L dictionary word in either .BIZ or .US.

I'm definitely being swayed to a longer 5-8 char .COM domain. The 5 char is the word + 1 char prefix, most 6-7 chars are 2 words, and a couple 7-8 char are really made-up 1 word domains based around my keyword. I know it's hard to tell without seeing the domains, but for me, I'm fancying 1 of the 7-8 char domains. But it's a difficult choice ;)

•••
If it's a global business, .US is probably sending the wrong message, so I wouldn't settle for that.

Maybe the 4L .online is available for $1 or cheap?

•••
I don't really fancy a new gTLD that much :(

•••
though it depends upon your website name, audience etc
but generally speaking .us seems better option than .biz, here must say .us itself is not a great option, just marginally better than .biz

I would go with longer .com unless i get some exceptional 4L domain in .US/biz

On another thought, i will select .co option which i find better than both .US AND .BIZ

•••
pick .us over .biz, .biz is just hanging around, .us has more meaning and is American. :)

•••
Hi

buy the best, most descriptive, longer .com you can hand-reg, then buy the 4l.us and 4l.biz

then point the .us and the .biz to the .com

tah-dah!

:)

imo....

•••
I am considering to buy a 4L, either the .BIZ or the .US for low-mid $$$. Neither TLD has great prospects, IMHO. Which do you think has better long-term value? I am expecting to develop the domain. .COM is developed and out of reach. I will not be developing in the same category as the .COM

Or would I be better off buying a longer .COM with my keyword included.

This is 2 questions. So I'd appreciate 2 answers. Thank you.
.biz

•••
•••
With a .US domain name, I believe your website would stand out from the .COM crowd. There are lots of legit and big businesses proudly using a .US domain unlike a .BIZ with literally no real usage. ccTLDs for all regions are quickly becoming the norm for individuals and businesses registering their online address. Or, when their .COM choice is taken, they go for their home country's ccTLD.

However, if you prefer to go with the longer .COM domain, it may be wise to still (defensively) register your preferred .US domain name and forward it to your .COM site.

Eventually, if the .US domain name you're considering looks promising/appealing, someone doing business in the U.S would eventually snap it up in the near future and build upon it. Hence, my suggestion of defensive registration.

•••
If intended business has US major market, then surely you must go to get.us name first. After that, getting .biz as well will boost the business growth,imo. So, get both based on the plan and budget.

Thank you

•••
I would go for the longer .com ... since it has the most National / International appeal and perceived trust among consumers. Also, because it will be more expensive and will take longer to rebrand if you outgrow your .biz or .us.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

buy the best, most descriptive, longer .com you can hand-reg, then buy the 4l.us and 4l.biz

then point the .us and the .biz to the .com

tah-dah!

:)

imo....

I had considered that as well :) But it's a bit of a waste of money to spend approx $800 just to do nothing more than to forward them to the .com, for basically a gTLD and a ccTLD which are basically on life support ;) I could use that extra money for development of a .com. Which is now clearer in my mind than when I stated this thread :)

•••

The 4L domain, being a dictionary word, is a quite good, CCVC, but not as popular as the ones you are mentioning here. I was focusing on the 4L .US or ..BIZ probably too much. I've convinced myself I'll be going with the longer .COM. Which I hadn't seriously considered when I posted this thread. But it is the advice I personally would have given, if this post had been by another member, and I was replying to it :) Now. the only question is, which one?

Last edited:
•••
.us is relevant if you are targeting a US audience.
.biz stinks imo.

If you have a budget of $800 buy something that could appeal to somebody else - not just you.
The reasoning is this: if your project fails or you later want to move on to something else, you still have a good domain that is an asset, and you can resell the name later - possibly for a profit.
.us/.biz names are very hard to sell.

Do your own shortlist of possible domains and review the options available to you. Some alternative names might be available for sale. I like to use .net/.org for certain niches, sometimes. While their value is questionable to some, they are probably better than .us/.biz.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back