Dynadot

opinion ccTLD or gTLD??? Which is "generally" better?

NameSilo
Watch

Is It Better To Invest in ccTLD or gTLD?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Not Sure

votes
    12.5%
  • ccTLD

votes
    62.5%
  • gTLD

votes
    18.8%
  • Neither

vote
    6.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
As I buy domains I have become perplexed as to whether to invest more in ccTLD or gTLD. I understand many of the nuances, but really, I find there is plenty of availability with both ccTLD and gTLD. What is your opinion regarding specifically ccTLD versus gTLD? Obviously, .com is most valuable and most widely known. Value and general acceptance is really what I'd like feedback on.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Reviving this thread to save making a new one. What do you all think?

ccTLD for me. For me, this way it feels like a whole country is behind you... Like .cn and .in for example. Particularly in the context of global trends.

Interested to get a wider consensus on this one though.

•••
s2-e18-new-domain-comic.png

•••
ccTLD's generally have a better sales history IMO and in terms of SEO, if you targetting traffic from that particular country then ccTLD's carry more clout.

gTLD's are great for brand-ability and I'm still a fan of some of the main ones...

•••
If you look at top single keywords sold before gtld you will see ccTLDs have sold. If you can get a type in with keyword string search word gTLD you also have some bargaining power. However a poor decision in keyword in both is way worse than the 2 word tld. I see ccTLDs as single word or short as value. I see gTLD as actually a search string one word + second = type in. To ask which is better is more which keyword and what extension should be based on individual merits.

Last edited:
•••
•••
It really depends on the cctld you are talking about, some are used more than others.

•••
It's not either or, you need both. And even more:

G' for brandability
ccTLD for geographic relations
Emoji for generation gap
.Com for the Internet Inept

Get all 4, you will be successful.

------------

Jokes aside, they all have their uses, depending on the project.

•••
gTLDs potentially have a wider usage area. If the domain is exact match it can be used globally.

ccTLDs are already used in certain countries more than the .com - But I believe they are not good for international businesses.

For me "generally better" depends on the full string.

Also some ccTLDs are used like new gTLDs such as .TV or .IO or even like .CO and I think these ccTLDs can target global markets.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back