Domain Empire

discuss New gTLD Renewal Prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Frank Demitri

Established Member
Impact
I have been looking around new tld's and wanted to ask about there renewal pricing. They have different renewals anywhere from $5 to $50 or may be even more. What do you all think is the right renewal price. Is there a right answer to this or does it just depend the tld it self. Does it matter if the tld is a gtld or a cctld or anyother category that it will have a higher or lower tld.

I have been particularly looking into .top, .xyz, .online, .site, .win and .gdn and out of all .top is so far the cheapest in terms of renewal as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see all the input.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What you are referring to is clearly a mistake if it is even true. Regardless it is completely anecdotal.
1-2 stories can be anecdotal - but you have thousands of people who were ripped off by 1and1 .

That includes 566 complaints with BBB in last 3 years:
http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-ea.../1-1-internet-inc-in-chesterbrook-pa-1040770/
http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-ea...c-in-chesterbrook-pa-1040770/Customer-Reviews

If you want to do business with crooks - good for you. I wouldn't transfer my names there even if they paid me.

•••
•••
•••
Yes, and Hitler was actually not a bad guy since Merkel has a lot of critics too.
Or something like that...?
Lol 1and1 does twice the revenue of godaddy with far less complaints. If you read the godaddy complaints they are of the EXACT same nature as what you blamed 1and1 for, people being charged years after they cancel.

No I think as you pulled this thread down you made it quite obvious who is trying to defend undefendable.

So in summary you enter a new gTLD pricing thread, call me out because you don't think my logic holds true for transfers vs renewals and in the same first post you give a little diatribe against ngtlds and say how .com is the only extension end users will want and post some silly fantasy that all extensions are capped at $25/yr.

I point out that you are wrong about transfers and one by one you defend yourself with new points which I also promptly prove wrong. Every.. single.... time.

So yes I will stop responding to you, only because I'm trying to bring sense to the unsensible and you apparently like to just pull things out of you know where in an attempt to have the last word.

•••
I am trying to pick up the good names with low renewals. Is it possible? Yes, if you spend 1-3 hours daily monitoring launches and drops (snapbacks).

•••
I have been looking around new tld's and wanted to ask about there renewal pricing. They have different renewals anywhere from $5 to $50 or may be even more. What do you all think is the right renewal price. Is there a right answer to this or does it just depend the tld it self. Does it matter if the tld is a gtld or a cctld or anyother category that it will have a higher or lower tld.

I have been particularly looking into .top, .xyz, .online, .site, .win and .gdn and out of all .top is so far the cheapest in terms of renewal as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see all the input.

I refuse any domain where the renewal price is over $30 a year at namecheap.

And it is annoying because the renewal price is in low contrast compared to the registration price. But I've been careful.

Personally I see cheap register but expensive renewal as a bait and switch tactic, trying to get the user locked in so they have to continue paying a high price or lose all their visitors.

To me that is deceitful and I won't use TLDs that do that. There are plenty that don't. Voting with my wallet.

•••
Just finance the .com name over 6 or so years with escrow.com. You will come out ahead. If you're going that route start with .com first. Way to much to pay for renewals. Just IMO

•••
Personally I see cheap register but expensive renewal as a bait and switch tactic, trying to get the user locked in so they have to continue paying a high price or lose all their visitors.
I think registries are shooting themselves in the foot with all those $1 promotions.
I went on a shopping spree and registered over 1000 3-letter .tech. There's no way I could renew all of them.
I'll try to sell what I have and I will let the rest expire. And depending on the current price I might buy some of them after drop. Why pay renewal when I can buy it back for $1.
In case of .tech Godaddy is really being greedy - renewal fee at Uniregistry is $30 so wholesale price is even lower (let's say $29). So GD keeps over $40 for every name, more than even a renewal fee. I guess they hope some of the names are picked on expiring auctions - and the buyer has to pay additional renewal - pretty profitable scheme.

•••
I think we should avoid who is good and who is bad and rather focus on the renewal prices for these new tlds.
We have to remember that the registries usually give prices that are lower as compared to registrars who charge according to their strategy.

There are definitely some crazy renewals but that doesnt mean we start blaming or taking names..

•••
I just happened to look at a .properties domain yesterday. It was available, but the renewal was $249 at Godaddy.

I just put in a different domain .properties and it comes up as $39.99. With such a wide range of renewal fees it makes it hard to remember or figure out what your fees are going to be each year.
If you have more than 100 domains, this gets to be a problem. Especially when renewal prices keep changing. You never really know what you are going to be paying.

I used to only have only .com and I knew based on how many domains I owned, how much my renewals would be for the year for my portfolio. Now I have no idea what the renewal costs will be for my portfolio due to some of the gtlds in there. Things are getting too hectic for renewals of gtlds.

I like some of the gtlds alot, but they are not making it easy on us to renew and hold onto them for the long term. Renewal prices keep changing and we either have to move them around like we are shuffling cards or drop them. If dropped they can be reclassified into premium domains by the registry and sold for a higher amount. So you thinking you can drop a LLL that you picked up for $1 and then pick it back up for $1 isn't going to happen. All LLL will be reclassified as premium and you will be paying more for it.

$1 initial reg fees only encourage having to flip domains to avoid renewal fees. It also encourages drops. Good marketing, but very bad policy!

High registration numbers make people think that an extension is popular and in demand. Thus fueling the sales.

Having to flip a domain before renewal, puts too many domains back into the market, which lowers the price we can resell them for. Just like the real estate market, supply and demand makes or breaks the market.

If you could buy a house for $1000 but in one year you have to pay $1million for property taxes if you still own it, you will sell that same house for $1001 before you keep it and pay the $1million. Specially if that house is really only worth $75,000.

Same with domain names. If you can reg 1000 domain for $1 you are into the investment for $1000. When renewal comes around you could be looking at a $30,000 bill. You will drop or try to sell before then, even if it is just to get your money back and not make a profit.

So many domains that were bought for just $1 come back onto the aftermarket at $5 or less. That doesn't help us(the domainers). Domains get bought out by domainers and then never make it into the hands of end users because they see a domain as being taken. The domain might be for sale cheap somewhere, but the end user might not know where to find it. They just see it as taken/registered.

$1 sales only help registration numbers. Plus the good stuff is held back, so most of the$1 reg's are of lower quality.

•••
Where is currently the cheapest for bulk registrations of .com?

•••
Recently I have observed registries are evaluating ngtlds renewal fees and maybe prices will come down to make them popular.

•••
I found this website gtld.club. It is a forum or news sort of website. I believe they are big club fans but to my surprise they have shown a lot of respect to ... I guess it is good for all those who are buying gdn domains like myself

•••
Because there are so many competing alternative TLDs, premium renewals destroy value for investors. End users are only willing to pay so much for a domain with a particular keyword because they can choose between .Net, .Info, .Co, .and a hundred new TLDs. Portfolio turn for most investors is low single digits (1-2% in most cases) so if you are stuck paying $50/year for renewals you are much more likely to lose money.

•••
Well, in theory - you have no idea what your next renewal will be - it could be $10, or $100.
Radix might decide that my 3L.tech are now premium and renewal will be $500 - who the hell knows.

Like I've said - new extensions are way too unregulated. ICAAN really should do something about it...

As far as I know, they can't increase prices for already registered names. If it's in general availability, then yes.

•••
premium renewals for ngtld names is a serious plague for the entire industry.

•••
•••
I also use 1and1 for years... and saved a lot of money there...
And Yes, their billing is not ideal... but such issues were resolved for me by contacting them...
And Yes, their panel is stupid... because is not targeted on domainers...

•••
And Yes, Transfer is always cheaper than renewal...

Last edited:
•••
As far as I know, they can't increase prices for already registered names. If it's in general availability, then yes.

They can and they have. There have been multiple blog posts and forum discussions about it.
It might only get worse as some registries start to circle the drain financially.

Brad

•••
And why to renew these low- or even zero-demand domains???
Drop them... And if needed - reregister for discounted price via API or manually... and thats' all.
As of today even on .TOP-drops competition is ~0.

•••
As for me - I play with nTLDs as in lottery... just for assorti and without fanatism...
I don't consider such domains as investment.

•••
It would be nice if Rightside or Dontus took down renewal prices.

•••
Trying to cut out domainers is like shooting yourself in both feet and trying to run the 5km marathon. Registries will soon realise for any extensions to stand the test of time, you need to embrace the sales force, not force them out.

Once they're on the verge of bankruptcy they'll drop their prices, but it will be too late.

•••
And why to renew these low- or even zero-demand domains???
Drop them... And if needed - reregister for discounted price via API or manually... and thats' all.
As of today even on .TOP-drops competition is ~0.
I think around 20-25% renewals will happen and the rest will be dropped.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back