IT.COM

GoDaddy now charging sales tax?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed that on my last domain auction purchase, godaddy charged sales tax. I hadn't seen this before nor heard anything about this coming. Anybody else noticed or knew about this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They charge tax in Washington State because they just opened an office here. Just an office to soak up local talent, no customer connections, yet they now charge tax. A lot of tax. (I think they are mis-reading the law.)
It is a problem and I am looking to move my domains elsewhere.

•••
I later found a not so visible announcement about the new states where sales tax would be charged.

•••
How absurd. I think this will have serious repercussions.

•••
They charge tax in Washington State because they just opened an office here. Just an office to soak up local talent, no customer connections, yet they now charge tax. A lot of tax. (I think they are mis-reading the law.)
It is a problem and I am looking to move my domains elsewhere.

I hope godaddy's accountants are not cooking the books lol

•••
Message to everyone: Move everything out of GoDaddy, been a lot of fuckory going on there lately...

•••
A couple of years ago I looked into becoming a registrar to avoid the hassles of the market leaders, too expensive to be worthwhile however.

•••
Found this old thread, but I just noticed the sales tax today (not sure why it just showed up now? I'm in Texas).
I've called a number of registrars home over the years, never was a fan of godaddy (but still have a few names there). I was with mydomain for a long time but now I call Epik my home. They've been very domainer friendly and will work with you on pricing if you have a larger portfolio.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
Found this old thread, but I just noticed the sales tax today (not sure why it just showed up now? I'm in Texas).
I've called a number of registrars home over the years, never was a fan of godaddy (but still have a few names there). I was with mydomain for a long time but now I call Epik my home. They've been very domainer friendly and will work with you on pricing if you have a larger portfolio.

Looks like my link broke - Epik.com

•••
They just started charging tax here in AZ too.

•••
I noticed recently that they now charge me tax even though I'm outside the US. Why?

•••
•••
Charged sales tax on? Transfers? Renewals? DDC? Everything? This would help shed some light on the situation...
I've been doing renewals using DDC. I have not tried other services lately. For example, the following is what I paid today for one .com renewal.

.COM Domain Renewal
1 Domain 1 Year $8.47
Subtotal: $8.47
Tax: $1.27
Total: $9.74

•••
Even I was charged tax on the domain renewal even though placed outside of the US.

•••
•••
whats the deal ? now also in israel

•••
•••
In Hungary, too :( We have a world record VAT of 27% :O

•••
On Monday I bought a domain without taxes, and now is 25% on the price, what is going on??

•••
•••
looks like buying a domain is now considered as import of goods for taxing purposes :)
..so you have to pay VAT. and Godaddy takes a role of a tax agent serving your government

•••
Worse still, even if your vat number is in your account they are wrongly adding vat at checkout. Since they aren't registered for vat in my country I can't claim this vat back. Automatic renewals going through the past few days with vat. Total mess right now, and as usual no communication of the change to customers.

•••
Croatia too. Taxes started just few days ago. 25%. Purchase, renewals... everything. Disaster.

Last edited:
•••
Devad I am also from Croatia. Pm me ☺

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back