Dynadot

Namesilo charging sales tax ???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sash2T

Established Member
Impact
Apparently namesilo has just started charging sales tax. This morning I was transferring a domain (.biz) from godaddy and registering new .ca domain and when I reached my cart there was a 13% sales tax added for both domains. Chatted briefly with their support and at first they were surprised about it. Their initial reaction was you shouldn't be charged a tax since you are in Canada, then they quickly changed their tune to now we have to charge tax to Canadians. Looking for suggestions on new registrars. I appreciate any feedback you have experienced with other registrars, both positive and negative, and to be honest price is important to me in the decision process. I came across sav.com, but little hesitant based on what I have read so far. Also looked at porkbun, but I don't think they integrate with Afternic and Sedo, if you choose to offer them for sale.
Are the other companies charging tax as well? From my experience with godaddy they have only charged me tax on .ca.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are the other companies charging tax as well? From my experience with godaddy they have only charged me tax on .ca.

You should specify what tax and the country/state of your billing address.

GoDaddy charges also the EU VAT, depending on your address...

•••
You should specify what tax and the country/state of your billing address.

GoDaddy charges also the EU VAT, depending on your address...

I mentioned in my original post that I am in Canada and the 13% sales tax

•••
Yeah GD charges "taxes and fees". I've asked reps what they are and get no straight answer.

•••
I mentioned in my original post that I am in Canada and the 13% sales tax

I do not know all countries/states/provinces with 13% tax.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Yeah GD charges "taxes and fees". I've asked reps what they are and get no straight answer.

My experience with GD has been tax and ICANN on .ca and ICANN on the rest of extensions

•••
Namesilo is based in Canada, is it not?

Internet companies are quickly losing their long standing tax-free advantage in the US, as well. Until recently tax was owed if buyer and seller were based in the same state. Now, location doesn't matter, at least if you are in a state that requires tax, which are most states in the US.

US state taxing authorities have beat up retailers like Amazon and Ebay to the point where they are both automatically collecting tax on just about everything now except in a few lucky states. I've noticed quite a few items relisted on Ebay recently because previous high bidders didn't know they would have to pay tax and backed out.

Last edited:
•••
Namesilo is not based in canada.
Looking in my account i see nowhere that i was ever charged either of our taxes GST or provincial
In Canada sometimes you pay 1 tax, sometimes two.
The federal tax is 5% The provincial is 7% in BC

At checkout now for a domain at namesilo, no tax added.
What page do you see the tax added?

ITEM QTY PRICE SUB
****.com
Renewal 1 $8.99 $8.99
ICANN FEES: Included!
PROCESSING: Free!
TOTAL: $8.99

Edit: goodaddy has always charged me the 5% gst tax

Last edited:
•••
Namesilo is not based in canada.
Looking in my account i see nowhere that i was ever charged either of our taxes GST or provincial
In Canada sometimes you pay 1 tax, sometimes two.
The federal tax is 5% The provincial is 7% in BC

At checkout now for a domain at namesilo, no tax added.
What page do you see the tax added?

ITEM QTY PRICE SUB
****.com
Renewal 1 $8.99 $8.99
ICANN FEES: Included!
PROCESSING: Free!
TOTAL: $8.99

Edit: goodaddy has always charged me the 5% gst tax

When I tried to process the 2 domains yesterday, I was presented with tax of $3.08 on a 23.69 purchase (.biz transfer and .ca purchase). I just tried again and guess what, the tax is gone.

•••
Thank you for tagging us. To clarify the situation a bit here - we are currently testing a new payment processor integration in order to start supporting local payments solutions for our European customers. As part of the conditions of integrating this processor, we are required to start collecting EU VAT. And the past couple of days, we were testing this system. We will be rolling this out over the next few months but if you have a business VAT number you can still pay $0 tax by entering it at the check out process.

•••
Sure, Ontario Canada has the 13% tax. Thanks for your input.

You obviously do not understand that they can charge you a tax from a different country/state/province. It was not me who was surprised...

As part of the conditions of integrating this processor, we are required to start collecting EU VAT. And the past couple of days, we were testing this system. We will be rolling this out over the next few months but if you have a business VAT number you can still pay $0 tax by entering it at the check out process.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for tagging us. To clarify the situation a bit here - we are currently testing a new payment processor integration in order to start supporting local payments solutions for our European customers. As part of the conditions of integrating this processor, we are required to start collecting EU VAT. And the past couple of days, we were testing this system. We will be rolling this out over the next few months but if you have a business VAT number you can still pay $0 tax by entering it at the check out process.
I am retired, and I do not have a VAT number anymore. But I have a second home on Bonaire, Dutch Carribean.
Do you need to collect taxes for the island of Bonaire ? If 'Yes' can you give me examples of countries, were no taxes are required ? Thanks and greetz from the Netherlands. Ruben, user: 'xenomatrix' on Namesilo.

•••
I am retired, and I do not have a VAT number anymore. But I have a second home on Bonaire, Dutch Carribean.
Do you need to collect taxes for the island of Bonaire ? If 'Yes' can you give me examples of countries, were no taxes are required ? Thanks and greetz from the Netherlands. Ruben, user: 'xenomatrix' on Namesilo.
Yes, in your case, we are required to collect taxes as you are based in the EU.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back