IT.COM

analysis GoDaddy inbound offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
I was offered $500 for a name on GD. I countered at $2500. He, presumably, countered back at $750. I was considering the send it to auction option. I considered the counter back option. I did have it listed on my @toughdomains account for $1975 BIN, which I did edit prior to my counter. I decided that although I like the name a lot, I could use the money more today than waiting it out. It was a name I liked enough for the longhaul to keep for years to come. However, I decided to accept the offer and move on to another name. I did think their initial offer of $500 suggested they were interested a bit more than kicking tires. However, I think it could have been another domain investor that may have it ready to go for an end user.
One bird in hand is better than two in the bush! I can use the money for other projects. And ultimately in life I could use the money today. I do think left money on the table, but I thought the risk of no deal was far scarier than leaving money on the table. I accepted the $750, and the extra $250 covered my GD fees and a little something extra:) Once the deal is final and I have the money Ill share the domain name!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Congrats on the sale.
Was it through Godaddy domain buy service?

•••
•••
•••
hey congrats

don't argue..
once a deal is done
move on

it's no good idea
to justify it to yourself

•••
Congrats on the sale! Sometimes it's best to move it while you're making a profit on it. Now you can take some of that money and re-invest into a couple new ones!

•••
I’ve gotten a lot of offers via godaddy / partner network brokers on domains where the offer was less than my floor / BIN.

By the time the offer is presented to me it’s not too far from my floor. An offer like you’re describing 500 against a 1975 BIN I wouldn’t even want to hear about from the broker. I’d expect the broker to do more work and bring it closer to 1000 before asking me if I’d accept.

In your case however you mention the possibility of sending it to auction so maybe the 1975 wasn’t so very firm? in which case your accepting 750 makes more sense.

As far as the offers that are presented to me by brokers, meaning the ones that aren’t too far from my floor, Sometimes I accept other times I push for more. Results are mixed, meaning that sometimes pushing for more results in a closed sale at a higher price and sometimes results in potential buyer’s moving on.

Last edited:
•••
I was offered $500 for a name on GD. I countered at $2500. He, presumably, countered back at $750. I was considering the send it to auction option. I considered the counter back option. I did have it listed on my @toughdomains account for $1975 BIN, which I did edit prior to my counter. I decided that although I like the name a lot, I could use the money more today than waiting it out. It was a name I liked enough for the longhaul to keep for years to come. However, I decided to accept the offer and move on to another name. I did think their initial offer of $500 suggested they were interested a bit more than kicking tires. However, I think it could have been another domain investor that may have it ready to go for an end user.
One bird in hand is better than two in the bush! I can use the money for other projects. And ultimately in life I could use the money today. I do think left money on the table, but I thought the risk of no deal was far scarier than leaving money on the table. I accepted the $750, and the extra $250 covered my GD fees and a little something extra:) Once the deal is final and I have the money Ill share the domain name!

I had a recent inbound where my name was listed with a BIN much higher than the initial offer from the buyer (via the broker). Second one in 4 years actually... I thought that was a bit odd since the name was at GoDaddy with a BIN so I am sure the broker (and the buyer) saw it. I haggled and eventually accepted an offer more than 50% less than my BIN (for similar reasons that you did).

But I will say this (for me), the next inbound GoDaddy broker offer I am going to stand firm on my price. In both instances the buyer ended up having massively deep pockets, so my BIN (which I price to be the value that domain would offer any buyer interested in it) would have been easily affordable by those buyers. IMO.

Congrats on the sale!

•••
•••
I was offered $500 for a name on GD.

As far as the offers that are presented to me by brokers, meaning the ones that aren’t too far from my floor, Sometimes I accept other times I push for more.

my name was listed with a BIN much higher than the initial offer from the buyer (via the broker).

Be careful when the offers comes through GoDaddy Domain Buy Service.
Domain buy service is the buyer telling the broker his budget to get the domain name.
The broker has 30 days to negotiate the best price. He will let his initial offer expire (8 days) without saying a word whether you counter low/high. Sooner or later broker will present the full offer, its his duty to do everything he can to get the domain within buyer's budget.
The right strategy is to simply refuse all offers (as long as 30 days aren't over), or counter at BIN and stay there until you see the full number.

•••
Domain buy service is the buyer telling the broker his budget to get the domain name.
The broker has 30 days to negotiate the best price. He will let his initial offer expire (8 days) without saying a word whether you counter low/high. Sooner or later broker will present the full offer, its his duty to do everything he can to get the domain within buyer's budget.
The right strategy is to simply refuse all offers (as long as 30 days aren't over), or counter at BIN and stay there until you see the full number.

Hmmm, this fits the pattern of negotiating that I twice encountered already.

Thats why its important to make sure the domain contact information is available in this post-WHOIS time... This way if we either strike out with the broker or for whatever reason negotiations break down AND that buyer really wants the domain, the buyer can find another way to contact us.

•••
Congrats @Want2learn and thank you for sharing your process and thinking so that we can all learn from it. I think the question of whether to accept firm price today vs the future probability estimates for future higher sale depends on whether we view the term as increasing, stable or possibly weakening in future. Look forward to learning name when all is finalized. Congratulations again.
Bob

•••
Having conversed with @Want2learn a number of times I think he made the right decision. He has a lot of renewals to pay for and this will help out. I am truly very happy for his sale and wish him many more.

•••
Time to unveil the name

AdvantageCannabis.com

•••
Now that you all know the name, what are your thoughts?

•••
Time to unveil the name

AdvantageCannabis.com
I think it’s a fair price for the domain. I would probably have accepted it as well. Congratulations!

•••
Now that you all know the name, what are your thoughts?

Been a few months but I thought I'd weigh in. You did the right thing by taking the 750 offer. If it had been the other way around - CannabisAdvantage - than no, way too cheap.

•••
Once deal is done, there is another challange: Will the buyer pay? There is a 50 percent chance. Not sure about others, but at Sedo, recently this is the trend.

•••

I had a Godaddy inquiry for a domain name I own for $150. I countered with $1000. And didnt here from Godaddy again. Since over 4months.

•••
I had a Godaddy inquiry for a domain name I own for $150. I countered with $1000. And didnt here from Godaddy again. Since over 4months.

Would be nice, for the sake of good communication, that people respond with a yes or no. Even a no thank you reply is better than nothing. Ugh.

•••
Once deal is done, there is another challange: Will the buyer pay? There is a 50 percent chance. Not sure about others, but at Sedo, recently this is the trend.

I hear ya.... Sedo was bad for me over the years. Probably closer to 1 out of 3 would not pay. In 2019 at Godaddy I have had two inbound offers in 2019 and negotiated deals on both - and both paid.

•••
''Godaddy inquiry''
Make sure that the email stated ''Domain Buy Service''
Maybe someone searched for your name and made an offer through auctions.
Or something else.
Or maybe the client used Buy Service then backed out.
I don't know.

What is Domain Broker Service?
If the domain name you want is already registered by someone else, you can use our professional Domain Broker Service with your personal Domain Buy Agent to attempt to acquire it for you. Domain Buy Agents make every reasonable attempt to contact the current domain name registrant to try to negotiate its purchase.

In addition to the Domain Broker Service fee, there is a 20% Buyer Broker fee ($15 minimum fee).

The Domain Broker Service purchase gives our agents a maximum of 30 days to negotiate a deal for you. Your purchase is non-refundable and non-transferable. If you want to pursue a different domain name instead of the one you originally purchased, you must purchase a separate request to acquire the new domain name through Domain Broker Service.

If we cannot contact the registrant or the registrant refuses to sell, there is nothing more we can do to help you acquire the domain name. When your Domain Broker Service expires, we make no further attempt to acquire the domain name for you.

We consider the services complete when:

• The Domain Buy Agent made a reasonable, best-effort attempt to contact the current domain name registrant, without response, within the appointed period of time.
  • You no longer want to pursue the domain name.
  • The current domain name registrant refuses your highest offer.

•••
''Godaddy inquiry''
Make sure that the email stated ''Domain Buy Service''
Maybe someone searched for your name and made an offer through auctions.
Or something else.
Or maybe the client used Buy Service then backed out.
I don't know.

What is Domain Broker Service?
If the domain name you want is already registered by someone else, you can use our professional Domain Broker Service with your personal Domain Buy Agent to attempt to acquire it for you. Domain Buy Agents make every reasonable attempt to contact the current domain name registrant to try to negotiate its purchase.

In addition to the Domain Broker Service fee, there is a 20% Buyer Broker fee ($15 minimum fee).

The Domain Broker Service purchase gives our agents a maximum of 30 days to negotiate a deal for you. Your purchase is non-refundable and non-transferable. If you want to pursue a different domain name instead of the one you originally purchased, you must purchase a separate request to acquire the new domain name through Domain Broker Service.

If we cannot contact the registrant or the registrant refuses to sell, there is nothing more we can do to help you acquire the domain name. When your Domain Broker Service expires, we make no further attempt to acquire the domain name for you.

We consider the services complete when:

• The Domain Buy Agent made a reasonable, best-effort attempt to contact the current domain name registrant, without response, within the appointed period of time.
  • You no longer want to pursue the domain name.
  • The current domain name registrant refuses your highest offer.

The message read a bid has been placed for your domain

•••
Now that you’ve seen the site, how much do you think you could have gotten?

•••
Back