Dynadot

advice Received an offer via my Dan portfolio

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

zer0day

Established Member
Impact
Not sure this is the correct place to post this, but I need some advice regarding a domain that I registered a while back after seeing it on a list of expired domains. The domain is nokiamoon.com. The domain is listed as a client on allomani.com, which claims to be a software business. There are a lot of other domains ending in moon listed there.

Someone, seemingly out of nowhere, made an offer of $350. I let the offer sit for a little while and countered with $750. Long story short, he declined every offer I countered with INCLUDING the $350 offer I eventually made him. The next day he countered with $150. I declined. Now I'm not too sure what to do, honestly.

I'm not sure if this domain would be worth anything to anyone other than the person who owned it before.

Thanks for your help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the buyer may have out-maneuvered you on this one. What to do next depends entirely on what you're willing to sell it for.

Nokia is a very well known brand, so as a domain name I can't see it presenting much interest to potential buyers.

I would consider what your lowest acceptable price is, make one final offer to the buyer at that price, and declare that the offer is good for 48 hours. If nothing happens at that point, raise the price back to $750 and wait.

It's entirely possible the buyer is hoping you'll drop the domain when expiry time comes around.

•••
Also, disguise the domain name in your original post. This thread shows up on page 4 of my Google search.

•••
•••
I made a bid on a 3L .io of $25 they countered 2.5k.....over the course of 6 months they kept dropping the price, it's now down to $115...I have not said or done anything since my original bid, waiting for them to drop to $80

Moral of above story? Name your price and stick to it unless you have engaged in a dialogue with a potential buyer otherwise you come across as desperate

•••
Also, disguise the domain name in your original post. This thread shows up on page 4 of my Google search.

I don't see an edit option on the main post.

•••
I made a bid on a 3L .io of $25 they countered 2.5k.....over the course of 6 months they kept dropping the price, it's now down to $115...I have not said or done anything since my original bid, waiting for them to drop to $80

Moral of above story? Name your price and stick to it unless you have engaged in a dialogue with a potential buyer otherwise you come across as desperate

Good advice. I'm willing to take his initial offer, but if he doesn't take it I'm sticking to $750. Worst thing that happens is I lose the reg fee and have to pay to reg again. I can deal with that.

•••
Good advice. I'm willing to take his initial offer, but if he doesn't take it I'm sticking to $750. Worst thing that happens is I lose the reg fee and have to pay to reg again. I can deal with that.
You have had an offer, so it is worth renewing the domain when due..stick it up at 750 again and forget about this time waster.... you have not "lost" the reg fee unless you drop it....

•••
You have had an offer, so it is worth renewing the domain when due..stick it up at 750 again and forget about this time waster.... you have not "lost" the reg fee unless you drop it....

It's back at $750. I have no plan to let it drop.

•••
I may not understand how it works, but ain't we talking about trademark here? Nokia?

•••
Last edited:
•••
I may not understand how it works, but ain't we talking about trademark here? Nokia?
There's nothing wrong with owning the name and offering it for sale. It only becomes wrong if the OP attempts to profit from an existing trademark somehow, either by offering to sell the name directly to Nokia corporation, or by using the domain to advertise/sell products where there is an existing TM for the name Nokia.

Additionally, if Nokia already has a product called "Moon" then there would be an issue.

•••
We sure are.

Read the TM categories they have been registering/protecting.

https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=Nokia

Nokia might just have been the bidder

https://www.nokia.com/about-us/news...logy-partner-for-mission-to-the-moon-project/

They are going to the moon.

I wouldn't be surprised if a TM issue lands here on earth first.

Both the previous owner and the current bidder are from Kuwait.

If Nokia were the bidder, why would they not just want to part with the $750 and go about their business? If $750 is going to break them, it's doubtful they'll ever get close to the moon.

•••
Both the previous owner and the current bidder are from Kuwait.

If Nokia were the bidder, why would they not just want to part with the $750 and go about their business? If $750 is going to break them, it's doubtful they'll ever get close to the moon.
If you stick around and read some old posts you'll see low ball offers from TM owners that probably just wanted to cover the low costs of registering, then their offers rejected and ... UDRP.

Read up about TM law. You obviously need to. You're already committed to selling the name so...

Last edited:
•••
Nokia is definitely not the bidder. A company like that would not reward someone they would consider a cybersquatter, it would set a bad precedent. UDRP costs are nothing for them.

The .net is registered at the same Kuwaiti registrar your .com was before it expired. The inquirer is probably the previous owner.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back