Dynadot

advice Make an Offer Only on Dan.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
Just over 2 months ago I changed all my domain names to point to Dan make offer landers. After running an experiment for a short period (4 weeks) I received 6 offers on 6 domain names ranging from $100 to $500. All the offers that I received I rejected and sent a counter offer some less than $1k some more than $1k with the most being $3500. 5 counter offers were ignored and 1 countered an extra $100 from their first initial offer of $100 which I rejected.

After the 4 weeks experiment, I changed all domain name prices and added buy now prices with various price brackets $499, $999, $2999, $3999, and $4999 with make offer prices being $100. Since adding Buy Now prices I have received 0 offers

Would it be best to revert back to make offer landers only and leave make offer prices at $100?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just over 2 months ago I changed all my domain names to point to Dan make offer landers. After running an experiment for a short period (4 weeks) I received 6 offers on 6 domain names ranging from $100 to $500. All the offers that I received I rejected and sent a counter offer some less than $1k some more than $1k with the most being $3500. 5 counter offers were ignored and 1 countered an extra $100 from their first initial offer of $100 which I rejected.

After the 4 weeks experiment, I changed all domain name prices and added buy now prices with various price brackets $499, $999, $2999, $3999, and $4999 with make offer prices being $100. Since adding Buy Now prices I have received 0 offers

Would it be best to revert back to make offer landers only and leave make offer prices at $100?

I guess you can revert back if you want to receive those low ball offers again.

•••
•••

Why would you want to do that ? Given that all the offers came within 2 months of listing. I think you can pretty sure these were all domainers attracted by your $100 minimum. It'll just repeat itself.

Low minimum offers make for terrible bait for any buyer. Set it at least to 50% of your minimum acceptable price would be my advice. There are rare occasions when a competent seller can talk-up the price quite considerably but, it's not the norm.

Sorry to say but, I would imagine there are several domainers out there that think your the time-waster and these are not the buyers your looking to attract anyway.

The good news is at least 6 of your domains have some value over time. Domainers are looking for anything up to a 1000% mark-up allowing for holding time etc. or a quick flip at 200 to 300%

Last edited:
•••
Why would you want to do that ? Given that all the offers came within 2 months of listing. I think you can pretty sure these were all domainers attracted by your $100 minimum. It'll just repeat itself.

Low minimum offers make for terrible bait for any buyer. Set it at least to 50% of your minimum acceptable price would be my advice. There are rare occasions when a competent seller can talk-up the price quite considerably but, it's not the norm.

Sorry to say but, I would imagine there are several domainers out there that think your the time-waster and these are not the buyers your looking to attract anyway
Thanks for your response. Would you revert back to make offer only with 50% off buy now price or keep buy now price showing?

•••
I am not really a domainer, but domains with BIN's are typically more likely to sell than ones that are "offer only".

Also note the member above said offer minimum should be 50% of the minimum you would accept, NOT 50% of BIN price. So if you have a listing for $5k and the minimum you would accept would be $2k, then by that formula, the minimum offer amount should be $1k (50% of the $2k minimum acceptance mount).

•••
Yes I strongly believe either do Make offer (sensible minimum) or fixed price. I did add some further comment to my above post. Don't confuse your buyers with such a wide range between minimum offer and your acceptable offer price.

Personally I always go with fixed price. If after (normally years) I'm going to lower the price then I shall always move it to a different seller platform. (resolving page) looks fresh on that site. will still get the same number of type-ins if they are there.

Also take onboard GNP's comment. 50% of your MINIMUM acceptable price. Not your buy-now price, I'm assuming your a reasonable negotiator an a reasonable head about prices

Last edited:
•••
If you list domains with DAN and makeoffer sales method - which make sense even if you have zero intention to sell them on DAN, such as if your desired sales channel is Sedo for example [and you point DNS to Sedo] - then you will start receiving funny offers originated from other domainers. So, increase the min. offer from default $100.
By "makes sense to list" I mean that if you do not list domains @ DAN - then others will list your domains @ DAN.

Last edited:
•••
You aren't going to catch a whale with minnow bait. Be practical. (How would you feel if you wanted to buy a car and they 30x the price?)

Also, be advised that DAN is now a G>:(Daddy product.

•••
If you list domains with DAN and makeoffer sales method - which make sense even if you have zero intention to sell them on DAN, such as if your desired sales channel is Sedo for example [and you point DNS to Sedo] - then you will start receiving funny offers originated from other domainers. So, increase the min. offer from default $100.
By "makes sense to list" I mean that if you do not list domains @ DAN - then others will list your domains @ DAN.
Why will others list my domains on dan ?

•••
•••
List the names at Afternic and Sedo at BINs.

Remove pricing and raise the minimum offer on DAN to something reasonable.

•••
•••
Thanks for your response. Would you revert back to make offer only with 50% off buy now price or keep buy now price showing?
Honestly, outbound your names. I use dotdb.com to find names registered in different extensions when I have the .com. I contact them and offer the .com And have done quite well.

•••
•••
Do more testing. Been in biz for 20+ years. I am constantly testing.

•••

Though many domain investors and platforms like sedo , dan and others encourage domainers to list with BUY NOW option, from my own experience i still think MAKE OFFER is better, i have sold more domain with MAKE OFFER option than BUY NOW.

•••
Though many domain investors and platforms like sedo , dan and others encourage domainers to list with BUY NOW option, from my own experience i still think MAKE OFFER is better, i have sold more domain with MAKE OFFER option than BUY NOW.
Do you stick to 1 minimum price on all your domains ie $100 or is it varied on all your domains?

•••
Do you stick to 1 minimum price on all your domains ie $100 or is it varied on all your domains?
Yes for some i use minimum of $100 and higher for some domains which i have the intention of selling for $5000 and above

•••
Buyers who really need it and have the budget to do it, will buy it either way. Buyers who don't really need it and are on a budget are just the opposite.

•••
Buyers who really need it and have the budget to do it, will buy it either way. Buyers who don't really need it and are on a budget are just the opposite.
true

•••
I have more bad experience with Dan platform, after negasition buyer not paid 3/4 times. now all of my name are bin setup.

•••
For me, having a BIN (as long as pricing is correct) is the best option.

If a buyer types in your name and sees a price that is acceptable, they will pull the trigger and make the buy. Some of my higher tier names I will also add 'make an offer' option but it is NEVER a lowball number (like 100 min on a name that is worth 5000).

Pick a percentage for the minimum offer and stick with it. For example, if the reasonable full retail value of a name is 1000, make your minimum offer 60% of that...$600. That way, if funds are low and needed for renewal of other names, you can take a lower number but you wont be bothered by tire kickers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back