IT.COM

GoDaddy for hosting?

NameSilo
Watch

liam_d

The original NP Emo KidEstablished Member
Impact
Im looking at godaddy.com and its 9.95 a month for 500gb bandwith...has anyone had an experience with godaddys shared hosting?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do some work for a group that has an account with them. He's told me that he's been very satisfied with them throughout his time there and they've been good for the month that I've been helping out.

However, we recently needed to change plans and that has been a headache with them. We'll have to move servers and all and they're telling us that they cannot leave up one account while the DNS switches over so we're going to have 48 hours of downtime or so. The guy who is over the organization is supposed to give them a call since support tickets haven't been working out. Hopefully they'll clear this mess up.

•••
Well i have decided to go with them (borrowing money from mother). One thing i am not happy with...to have cronjobs you must have at least a VPS with them.

Does anyone know a external cronjob service i know theres one somewhere.

•••
I've read 2 positive reviews of Godaddy hosting, about 100 negative reviews. Its something thats been discussed for a long time and the conclussion is usually don't combine your registrar and web host.

•••
Anyway, do they allow multidomain with their hosting plans?

•••
They don't have plesk or cpanel on shared plans, they allow parked domains but not addon domains.

Could get a VPS if you wanted more than 1 domain with them but its not worth it, i suggest you don't go with them until they revise there hosting deals a bit...im with them now and im not satisfied at all :(

•••
They have Coldfusion - the cheapest CF hosting I can find. That's why I'm thinking of them. But I need my hosting account multidomains. So I prefer to wait until they revise

•••
well i don't think they will be revising anytime soon. There only advice to me about cron jobs was a shamefull advert for there VPS services.

I dont want to pay over an extra $20 just for cron jobs...thats insane.

•••
never ever use godaddies hostings.. I hate them, i dont even reg domains with them. There hosting is unreliable, and for the same rpice you can get better plans at another smaller unkown hosting company, which has better support because of the size of it.

•••
True i am truely regretting going with them. I will probably go with ZoneServ once i get some funds...

•••
About 10 posts down from this thread:
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=136956
In short: I like their hosting, although I wish they allowed unlimited addon domains (Instead of just basic pointers/aliases) and had better free stats packages.
But it's hard to beat 25 gigs of transfer for $3.15 a month :)
-Allan :gl:

•••
I wish i had seen that post sooner...i don't beleive they have a money back thing either :(....cya later liams money!

•••
Above I posted that it was 25 gigs for $3.15 , I meant 250 gigs. Sorry for the confusion.
-Alan :gl:

•••
Well im now with ZoneServ and happy :)

•••
this made me chuckle on there support site;

Expected
Response Time:
10 Hours

10 hours? no thank you!

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Above I posted that it was 25 gigs for $3.15 , I meant 250 gigs. Sorry for the confusion.
-Alan :gl:
meh, if your all about price you can find hosts that offer 50 gb space and 500 gb for $3

Of course, I can't guarantee they'll be around for much longer or that they have good support. The age old saying has something to do with it.."You get what you pay for". Kinda like buying 100 gallons of gas for $5.

•••
jmweb said:
meh, if your all about price you can find hosts that offer 50 gb space and 500 gb for $3

Of course, I can't guarantee they'll be around for much longer or that they have good support. The age old saying has something to do with it.."You get what you pay for". Kinda like buying 100 gallons of gas for $5.

Don't know why today is "Dump on Daddy"-day, but anyway...

1) Find other hosts that offer 500 gigs of transfer for $3 a month. The going rate for $3 is more like 10 gigs.

2) As far as guaranteeing that they'll be around much longer: GoDaddy has more potential to "outlive" any other webhost that I know of.

and

3) Support at GoDaddy has been good for me (anecdotal), but is also available on a larger level than many smaller hosts. IOW: They have hundreds of support techs available (My longest phone wait has been 3 mintues) and will respond by phone, email, webform, etc. Most webhosts that I know won't just let me call them at any hour of the day to ask some random question or have them walk me through a process.

There are legitimate gripes against GoDaddy (Possible overselling, limited CP, etc.), but some of these complaints strike more of bitterness/envy than any legitimate beef.

-Allan

•••
What you quoted me on, I was "dumping" on godaddy. If you really need me to show you a host that offers 500 gb bandwidth for $3, PM me. I will not post the urls here. But for some reason I don't think you were seriously questioning the 500 gb bandwidth for $3 as anyone who has been around hosting for a while has seen such offers...

I understand you may certainly be loyal to godaddy but heck your the 3rd compliment I've seen about them, 3 positive vs 100 negative? Whom are you more apt to believe?

Last edited:
•••
jmweb said:
What you quoted me on, I was "dumping" on godaddy. If you really need me to show you a host that offers 500 gb bandwidth for $3, PM me. I will not post the urls here. But for some reason I don't think you were seriously questioning the 500 gb bandwidth for $3 as anyone who has been around hosting for a while has seen such offers...

I understand you may certainly be loyal to godaddy but heck your the 3rd compliment I've seen about them, 3 positive vs 100 negative? Whom are you more apt to believe?

Please feel free to post the URL's here. If you don't want to give them free backlinks, just space out the URLS: http://www. Name Pros . com

I've "been around" hosting for sometime, yes, but I have not seen such an offer that could deliver on such an offer. I do, however, believe that GoDaddy can and will deliver on that offer if I chose to avail myself of it.

-Allan

•••
There is no point of me posting links if you have seen such offers. And we all know that they couldn't be delivered upon as it would run the hosting company into the ground considering the cheapst bandwidth you can get is 1 MB through Cogent for $20...and we all know thats impossible unless you order in large committs.

I don't want someone to mistake my post for something its not and assume its a good host (i.e. those whom don't understand english well).

•••
So no resume are they ok enough or not?

•••
what I've read lately about godaddy it is a good register (i'm hosting all domains with them) but very bad hoster.

•••
This thread has silenced a while back, and all I can say is that the web is so full of information with no evidence. Junk. So full of it, so sick of reading it all over. GoDaddy this GoDaddy that. THey have started their hosting business a few years ago, and ever since they did, it seems like people have been throwing stuff at them, however I see things differently. I did call them last night, cause I could not find answers to a few questions on their site. So, I got in touch in less than 2 minutes, first try. I then called back and it took nearly the same time, and I was connected to a different representative.

I paid the 4 bucks a few weeks ago to test their stuff. So, what can I say. They keep yelling about GoDaddy's "horrid" hosting service for years now, I read posts more than 2 years old. If they were true and well based, GoGaddy should have been gone by now, cause nobody stays alive for that long with a service like theirs from what was being posted.

I won't crack my head heck all, I just want to point out that names like RamboHosting and JumboHost and MumbaHost (hope I did not touch any real hosting names, if so sorry) are ten thousand times more likely to disappear over night than GoDaddy. I know what it is to hold a dedicated server, and I know what it takes to become a webhost. It is not that big of a deal to stay in bed and do support. And all it takes to add more bandwidth is to log in to your WHM or Plesk and there we go, "we just got better".

I want facts. Not bulls.hit. I wonder why GoDaddy is still around. And absolutely no wonder why they don't pay much attention to this. They catch their clients on low prices and get their money out of the extras, they are still the best domain registrar. What makes one thing they will go under water one day? If I were Bob :) I would either not bother offering hosting of would make sure it doesn't spoil my image.

"Good domain registrars are bad hosts". Says who? Based on what fact? Sick minds, that's what it is.

addon said:
what I've read lately about godaddy it is a good register (i'm hosting all domains with them) but very bad hoster.
Very bad hoster, bla bla based on what? I want to hear things like "this is my website, please test it, www.blabla.com running like sh.it. Because GoDaddy is the host."

Time to grow up.

Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried. Want more? There's plenty if it. Just GOogle. Oh and by the way, Google sucks, does it?

•••
I use to have an account with zoneserv but they practically switched servers every week. It was horrible. So I got my own dedicated server. :)

•••
I am also considering buying a test hosting account from 1and1.co.uk not because of the huge negative feedback, but because they are the fastest, really fastest host to deliver to my location.

One thing I cannot clarify before that is what type of domains they support, they say much about .co.uk but I was wondering if other tld's can be hosted with their UK branch, and if so, I am not sure whether I have to transfer the domains to them or I can just point the DNS to their servers. Still investigating...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back