Dynadot

GoDaddy "Ultimate" shared hosting?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For several mini sites all with low bandwith requirements, how is Godaddy "Ultimate" shared hosting?

I have seen complaints saying that their hosting is slow and other complaints including bad support, (supposedly) arbitrary extra charges being levied, undeclared connecction limits (applies to all shared hosting plans?), etc.
Also, they don't have cPanel? And no Fantastico? If no cPanel, how similar is their interface to cPanel?

Most seem to say "stay away"... Based on my brief search I will probably use something else, but would be interested in seeing what people say...

Thanks!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can't speak for everyone, just my personal experience with Godaddy shared hosting. I've been using godaddy since 2005 and have received top notch tech support since the beginning. The few issues I called in about that related to my sites ended up being my own fault with 3rd party scripts and wrong php versions. The reality of it is that Godaddy isn't a personal developer, they are a hosting company so one should never expected them to fix 3rd party bad script code, some people don't understand the difference.

I normally run anywhere from 15 to 50 sites at the same time on the one shared hosting account with no problems. There are times that godaddy itself or the server I am on may experience technical difficulties (I.E. ddos, dos, hard drive failure, etc.) once every few years (which is expected with any hosting company and server equipment).

If you aren't getting much traffic and or resource usage then running a network of mini-sites on a shared hosting plan not only works out great, you also save a ton of money it costs to try & run a vps / vds + paying for added management (maintenance & security).

As for Godaddy's UI (user interface), the newest version is similar to cpanel but still a completely custom panel. Like with anything new it may take you a few days playing around with it to get the hang of where every things at. Other than that, I think it's an excellent hosting solution.

Again, just my opinion after 8 years of service with them.

Eric Lyon

•••
I think I'll ask this question separately: Is it true that some (or all?) shared hosting plans have a limit of how many visitors (number of connectiosn?) in total at the same time can access all the pages hosted under the account even if no other resource limits (bandwith, processor, memory) are being "strained"?

•••
If you refer to "Unlimited" claims, there's no such thing as unlimited. Every thing has a limit. Godaddy uses the word "Unlimited" like many other companies do as a marketing gimmick. In reality, some of the resources can be called "UnMetered" (that's the proper word).

As for godaddy's shared hosting socket connection limits: http://support.godaddy.com/help/art...-connections-for-your-shared-hosting-accounts

As you can see, even though the package is called Unlimited, the premium shared / hosting only allows up to 200 to 600 socket connections on a Linux server.

Eric Lyon

•••
If you refer to "Unlimited" claims, there's no such thing as unlimited. Every thing has a limit. Godaddy uses the word "Unlimited" like many other companies do as a marketing gimmick. In reality, some of the resources can be called "UnMetered" (that's the proper word).

As for godaddy's shared hosting socket connection limits: http://support.godaddy.com/help/art...-connections-for-your-shared-hosting-accounts

As you can see, even though the package is called Unlimited, the premium shared / hosting only allows up to 200 to 600 socket connections on a Linux server.

Eric Lyon

Yep, knew about the misleading marketing. Seems like there could be plenty of room for class action lawsuits of various kinds against the usual suspects in this industry. D-::D

Dumb question: the socket connections are rapidly formed and broken as a user requests and receives info from a site, right? Max 200 socket connections does not equate to max 200 people simultaneously viewing pages of my sites, but 200 sending or reciving information at the exact moment.

Trying to look for the max number of socket connections for Hostgator reseller account.

•••
200 sending or reciving information at the exact moment
right (as far as I know, but i could be mistaken)

Hostgator from what I'm seeing on both their shared & reseller plans start you off with a limit of 25 socket connections, however they do say you can raise that limit by 5 more connections making it 30. (not sure if they allow more than that: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/hosting-plans/processes-limit

To me, even maxed out at 30 seems a lot lower than godaddys 200 to 600 connections. Not sure if Hostgator sells more connections as an addon product or if they would give more free connections to at least equal what godaddy offers.

That may or may not answer your host gator related question.

•••
I talked to a person with hostgator support who said that hostgator allows only 25 per cPanel (so 25 per account). She said that the connections are so short that it's not usually a cocern even with a lot of sites/lots of pages unless one has a lot of traffic.

I wonder what happens if all 25 (or 200) are in use the moment a visitor clicks on something. Is there no response and to the visitor the site appers to not respond and the user has to repeat the action or is there a que and the action will be automatically perofmed as soon as a connection becomes available? (assuming que lenght has not been exceeded, etc.)

•••
The symptoms of TCP/IP port exhaustion may vary from one client application to another but are typically manifested as an error indicating a failed network connection.
Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560610(v=bts.20).aspx

I think that's the same regardless what type server you use when all connections are exhausted. (E.G. "Unable to connect to server" or "server not responding" errors)

•••
Other customer's reviews of the hosting services. Same as any business, the hosting vendor should be able to provide good references.

•••
I had a forum in Godaddy deluxe shared package (those days) like 3 years ago. Don't remember having any problems till one day they sent a mail asking to Upgrade to a VPS.

Like Eric said they are great if you are willing to deal with their own custom control panel which is bit slow and complicated till you get used it. If you are a diehard cPanel fan then better try Hostgator.

•••
GoDaddy seems to be only good for domains. Their hosting has nothing short of horrible reputation. Our ex-GoDaddy customers often complain about their negative experience with them.

•••
Thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciated!

•••
from your link, it has two different items:
"Linux shared limits:"
and
"Linux Web Hosting limits:"
do you know what are the differences?
I have not heard of the "Linux shared limits:"

Eric Lyon

•••
For several mini sites all with low bandwith requirements, how is Godaddy "Ultimate" shared hosting?

I have seen complaints saying that their hosting is slow and other complaints including bad support, (supposedly) arbitrary extra charges being levied, undeclared connecction limits (applies to all shared hosting plans?), etc.
Also, they don't have cPanel? And no Fantastico? If no cPanel, how similar is their interface to cPanel?

Most seem to say "stay away"... Based on my brief search I will probably use something else, but would be interested in seeing what people say...

Thanks!!!

Stay away from godaddy,
I once asked them to change the nameservers of a domain name and they messed up everything.
They began a domain transfer instead!
I don't know if the employee was new or what but it was very unprofessional.

Last edited:
•••
Unlimited does not really exist, it's a marketing attempt to acquire more customers for some of these big greedy companies. GoDaddy is at least somewhat honest in their marketing and resources they provide to customers.

•••
Go for stability, not just size. Just because the host if offering you unmetered and unlimited space, doesn't mean you should soley base your decision on that.

•••
If you are not satisfy with the services that you are receiving than best way to shift to other hosting provider by checking their feature which they provide and reviews about their service they provide

•••
Newbie question. I have decided to go for Godaddy hosting as I like to keep things simple. Currently, it is costing $54/yr and next year double to renew. Should buying hosting for multiple years worth it or hosting prices are coming down? As this is first time buying a hosting and I'm assuming that I can't buy new hosting every year as Godaddy will inforce renew prices? If I go for one year

Thanks in advanced

•••
In addition new free domain is regfree with new plan, idk if renewal offer this?

•••
They are an excellent domain register, but I heard many bad things about them when it comes to hosting lately.

•••
Their hosting has nothing short of horrible reputation

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back