IT.COM

Cpanel vs GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm looking for anyones opinion on the use of cpanel vs godaddys hosting interface. I'm trying to decide whether to use hostgator or godaddy. All my domains are reg at GD and my leaning is to keep it all under one roof so to speak. Cpanel seems alot more user friendly to me tho........any thoughts great appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As per me, godaddy interface is confusing.
I would much rather use Cpanel.

•••
cPanel is the way to go. It's so much easier to use and I would have to say the features are WAY more abundant in cPanel. I have always used it, I find that control panels offered by the hosting companies is never as good.

All in all, nothing really compares to cPanel.

•••
Thanks guys, you definitely confirmed my thoughts on the matter. Cpanel it is.

•••
If you are hosting a simple static site or lightweight php script site etc... godaddy is okay, if you are hosting heavier things wordpress with a theme and plugins etc... I would probably avoid godaddy.

•••
Godaddy is provider Cpanel is control panel. I think the things are incomparable. IMO. And you seems familiar with Cpanel and want your current web host use that..

•••
Godaddy is provider Cpanel is control panel.
He was referring to the control panel that Godaddy uses, and looking for a comparison with cPanel.

There's no doubt to me that Godaddy's interface in general and control panel in particular are significantly less user friendly than cPanel.

Going further, Godaddy's shared hosting is very slow compared to Hostgator's. Uptime at Godaddy is, in my experience, decent, but Hostgator's is still better.

All my domains are reg at GD and my leaning is to keep it all under one roof so to speak.

There's absolutely nothing complicated about using different providers though. You should definitely not compromise the quality of hosting experience for this.

•••
almost everyone is familiar or used to Cpanel, so this is your best option.

•••
If you are hosting a simple static site or lightweight php script site etc... godaddy is okay, if you are hosting heavier things wordpress with a theme and plugins etc... I would probably avoid godaddy.

I plan to begin developing some domains with WordPress and the related plugins. I have had one WP blog with GoDaddy for almost a year and its been very frustrating to use. Extrapolate that experience to 8-10 websites and I'd probably lose it. Cpanel seems to have much more options and ease of use. I opened an acct with HostGator last nite and paid 0.01 for the first month with a disc code, so I've got thirty days to experiment with cpanel for a penny. Right in my budget!:$:

•••
All my domains are reg at GD and my leaning is to keep it all under one roof so to speak. Cpanel seems alot more user friendly to me tho........any thoughts great appreciated!

Even though you have registered your domains at godaddy, it is not necessary to host it there itself. If you want you can choose any other host that is best for you.

•••
In my opinion both of the control panels are good. For me a good hosting control panel is a panel that allows you to do EVERYTHING that you'll ever need from your shared hosting.

But:

Godaddy's control panel is very slow, without any reason for that. It's also not as advanced as the Cpanel.
If we're looking for something very advanced, Kloxo and webmin are good examples.

In fact, the Cpanel has became a standard for what a hosting control panel should looks like. It's easy to use, fast and reliable. It's a proven solution for both advanced and beginner users, with very nice design and well structured menus.
So, in my opinion, if the hosting plans and the prices are equal (this includes the uptime and the support) , select the one with the Cpanel.

Also, you could try the Godaddy control panel (and the hosting) - just sign up for a free hosting (you could sign up for a free hosting account with godaddy only if your domain is registered with godaddy). The free hosting is almost the same as the paid economic plan, but have ads.

There are a lot of websites that provides a free Cpanel hosting - you could sign up with one of them and test it.

•••
I suppose that you shouldn't consider control panel as main feature for the web hosting service. That is not correct. I suppose you will net be often in your control panel

•••
Better to go with CPanel. If you need site transfer later, it is just a peace of cake in CPanel.

•••
I highly recommend cPanel since it has a user friendly interface and include much more features than GoDaddy hosting panel interface.

•••
As per me, godaddy interface is confusing.
I would much rather use Cpanel.

That's always been my issue with the GD control panel. It has that feel of being scattered and it's hard to find things.

cPanel is the way to go. It's so much easier to use and I would have to say the features are WAY more abundant in cPanel. I have always used it, I find that control panels offered by the hosting companies is never as good.

All in all, nothing really compares to cPanel.

cPanel has been around longer than GD's current interface. It's tried and true and the most commonly used one. It was also the first generic control panel for sale to hosts back in the late 90's.

•••
havent tried godaddy hosting but judging from their interface designs(one of the worst designs ive seen) im pretty sure it won't come close to cpanel.

•••
I'd highly recommend cPanel to you over using godaddy's hosting service

•••
Cpanel for sure. A lot of hosts use it so if you ever change hosts then it's and easy transfer.

•••
cPanel all the way, I'd never even bother to look at anything else. Since most hosts use cPanel, if I got used to the alternative, and then I had to move to another host, I might have to learn it all again!

•••
Main thing with CPanel is you can switch easily to another CPanel-based host. With proprietary control panels like that from GD you'll experience some hard time when you want to move away from them.

•••
Not only should you avoid GoDaddy, but also stay away from 1and1. Like GoDaddy, they use their own version of cpanel which is a total nightmare. Stick with the hosts the use cpanel, trust me you will be glad you did.

•••
I set up a site in Godaddy for a client and ended upside down on the deal...stick with cpanel definitely!

•••
It seems that everyone in this thread believes that cPanel is the way to go (and rightfully so) - is there anyone who is willing to argue that godaddy's control panel is better (out of curiosity)?

•••
It seems that everyone in this thread believes that cPanel is the way to go (and rightfully so) - is there anyone who is willing to argue that godaddy's control panel is better (out of curiosity)?

I suppose no one as I haven't seen any thing bad said about their control panel

•••
I use both

I use both CPanel and godaddy control panel. They all work very well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back