Dynadot

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

NameSilo
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IMO .ME is a terrible investment. I understand that alot of hacks have sold successfuly. The extension just looks like every other cctld during landrush... great for initial purchase and immediate resell for profit.

I do not see the long term value at the moment.

Thank you for thinking of me though!

I recently sold a .me for $2,250, so, yes, there is a market.

It may not be as large as .com, but those .me greenbacks are just as green as any .com.

You just have to be careful to register/buy great keywords.

The one I sold had been a landrush domain, snagged for $100 back in 2008.

I actually used it until its sale, but not to its full potential.

•••
Because it's been 4 years now since general availability and the prices are going up and so is the interest, not down. As far as end users, .com is still the best, always will be but a lot of startups have been using the extension. All that is in that long thread.

I want to be clear, I do not think there is anything wrong with .ME

MARK MY WORDS.

The current prices are TOO HIGH. They have not yet seen their lowest.

99.5% of sales are probably D2D (domainer to domainer) this is in NO way an accurate way to judge of a "REAL MARKET".

I have seen and participated in several domain extension releases/landrush events.

There is an initial biuld up by domainers that leads to over-inflated prices for a good 2-3 year period.

Then the realization sets in...

Most people who bought at the D2D level will NOT be able to resell for a profit. Most likely they will LOOSE money in an atempt to salvage any remaining value.

At that time prices will tank, investments will abound.

At that time I will mark it as a buy.

Again, this is just my opinion based on my experiences.

:wave:

•••
"There is an initial biuld up by domainers that leads to over-inflated prices for a good 2-3 year period.

Then the realization sets in..."

Right, I agree with that, except it's been 4 years, as I pointed out. And the prices are going up. Forget the auction that just finished, since it was a leftover auction. But the one previous, doubled the one before that. Even with the recent leftover auction, the prices went up on those, gave some examples in the thread. It moved into a top 10 selling extension over at Sedo recently. Startups are using it (it's in the thread) and all this is happening around the 4 year mark. It's getting more interest now, that's a good sign after 4 years. So there hasn't been that tanking you're talking about, actually the opposite. The numbers are there to back that up.

Last edited:
•••
"There is an initial biuld up by domainers that leads to over-inflated prices for a good 2-3 year period.

Then the realization sets in..."

Right, I agree with that, except it's been 4 years, as I pointed out. And the prices are going up. Forget the auction that just finished, since it was a leftover auction. But the one previous, doubled the one before that. It moved into a top 10 selling extension over at Sedo recently. Startups are using it (it's in the thread) and all this is happening around the 4 year mark. It's getting more interest now, that's a good sign after 4 years.

2,3,4,5 years... You missed the point.

All these sales are D2D.

At a certain point the pricing will not make sense on a D2D level, there simply won't be any meat left on the bone, then what? Without enduser demand what do you think will happen?

The only people who really make money on new extensions are those who bought landrush - Exactly like I said I would have done in my initial post.

Oh wait... some start ups are using it so it must be a good investment.... Keep using that logic and see what it gets you.

•••
"2,3,4,5 years... You missed the point."

No, I haven't. You were right what you first said, it just didn't match what was happening, so you changed from 2/3 to now 5. Initially there's hype, speculation etc. But you have to give it a few years and then see. After 4 years, if interest and prices are going up, that's called a good sign.

"All these sales are D2D."

Not true, you obviously haven't read the thread.

"Oh wait... some start up are using it so it must be a good investment.... Keep using that logic and see what it gets you."

Development plays a key, so yes, there is development there and interest. And that logic is getting me profit. And that's a good thing as well.

•••
"2,3,4,5 years... You missed the point."

No, I haven't. You were right what you first said, it just didn't match what was happening, so you changed from 2/3 to now 5. Initially there's hype, speculation etc. But you have to give it a few years and then see. After 4 years, if interest and prices are going up, that's called a good sign.

"All these sales are D2D."

Not true, you obviously haven't read the thread.

"Oh wait... some start up are using it so it must be a good investment.... Keep using that logic and see what it gets you."

Development plays a key, so yes, there is development there and interest. And that logic is getting me profit. And that's a good thing as well.

I stated my opinion. I'm done debating with you.

You do not address the real point I am making.

Your agenda is self serving.

•••
Back to the GoDaddy auction subject.

I won an auction earlier today and almost instantly got an email it was renewed. The owner appears to be the same, so probably just an $80 appraisal.

Brad

•••
I stated my opinion. I'm done debating with you.

You do not address the real point I am making.

Your agenda is self serving.

I just disagreed using numbers, auction results, end user usage etc. what was actually happening.

You gave me nothing whatsoever showing any tanking except what you "feel" might happen in 2/3 years, wait 5 years now. I was waiting for you to bring up something. So ok, we'll agree to disagree on this one. Back to scheduled programming.

•••
I just disagreed using numbers, auction results, end user usage etc. what was actually happening.

You gave me nothing whatsoever showing any tanking except what you "feel" might happen in 2/3 years, wait 5 years now. I was waiting for you to bring up something. So ok, we'll agree to disagree on this one. Back to scheduled programming.

No, you completely dance around my point in favor of trying to be "right at all costs" so you can help keep/inflate the value of what you deem a good investment.

Your agenda is clearly self serving;

I on the other hand am trying to inform those who may not have adequate experience to make good decisions when investing.

I hate seeing domainer hype bankrupt newbies.

Best of luck with your investments and facts and such.

•••
No, you completely dance around my point in favor of trying to be "right at all costs" so you can help keep/inflate the value of what you deem a good investment.

Your agenda is clearly self serving;

I on the other hand am trying to inform those who may not have adequate experience to make good decisions when investing.

I hate seeing domainer hype bankrupt newbies.

Best of luck with your investments and facts and such.

lol, you didn't bring up any valid points.

To keep this thread on track and save the mods from having to split, feel free to jump in the discussion over in the .ME thread - http://www.namepros.com/cctld-discussion/503896-the-me-discussion-and-showcase.html

•••
Ms.Domainer will you be going after Jennifer.me on Go Daddy Auctions ?

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

@jb I would agree .me has certainly picked up and kicked .us butt over the last 4 years in aftermarket sales. I think the meet.me sale alone has surpassed all reported .us sales for the last couple years combined.

I own 0 .me and 1 .us.

•••

I believe more auctioned premium .us domains just got renewed yesterday. I'm not going to mention specific names just yet because sometimes Godaddy updates the year on won auctions, sometimes not.

All those domains that closed on 5/28 will be ready on 6/5, but even then, I would keep mum because Godaddy has a 30-day clawback policy. In other words, I would keep quiet until 7/5 or later for domains that hit your account on 6/5.

;)

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

LOL, equity78.

I'm surprised that the owner has allowed this one to expire, given that it was purchased at a .me premium namejet auction about a year or two ago. I passed on it back then.

IMHO, this auction is just another $80.00 appraisal, a testing of the .me market by its owner.

If I bid, it will be lowball.

•••

I believe more auctioned premium .us domains just got renewed yesterday. I'm not going to mention specific names just yet because sometimes Godaddy updates the year on won auctions, sometimes not.

Yeah, I had an auction win renewed yesterday.
It was one that sold for around $300.

All those domains that closed on 5/28 will be ready on 6/5, but even then, I would keep mum because Godaddy has a 30-day clawback policy. In other words, I would keep quiet until 7/5 or later for domains that hit your account on 6/5.

I have never heard of GoDaddy "clawing" back a domain name.

I had a situation last year where I won a .US then was sent a relatively threatening email from the original registrant "insisting" that I push the domain back to their account and ask GoDaddy for a refund.

I forwarded the email to my GD Account Exec and GD Legal Department and they took care of it. I still own the domain.

I am not sure what scenario a clawback scenario would apply to.

Brad

•••
Brad technically under TOS all registrars protect themselves with 30 day take back for any reason they see fit. Its in all registrar TOS. Now maybe auctions does not fall under that but it does with registration.

•••
Brad technically under TOS all registrars protect themselves with 30 day take back for any reason they see fit. Its in all registrar TOS. Now maybe auctions does not fall under that but it does with registration.

I am not saying it is not possible, I just have never seen it happen.

I would assume if it happens it would be related to an isolated issue like a renewal not being applied when it was paid for.

Without extenuating circumstances, the registrant loses the right to the domain when it is moved to your account.

Brad

•••
I think Ms.Domainer was making a blanket cautionary suggestion, you never know. I have not seen it happen with GO Daddy but I have with Enom, where one guy regged pets.tv sold to member here Fleaking and Enom took the name from Fleaking and gave to Byron Allen and his Entertainment Studios ES.tv its now a tv show on my Comcast cable.

•••
I think Ms.Domainer was making a blanket cautionary suggestion, you never know. I have not seen it happen with GO Daddy but I have with Enom, where one guy regged pets.tv sold to member here Fleaking and Enom took the name from Fleaking and gave to Byron Allen and his Entertainment Studios ES.tv its now a tv show on my Comcast cable.

Yes, simply a cautionary warning.

I often wonder that if a "major" customer whines enough, these registrars will do whatever they feel like doing and clawback anything they want.

After all, how would we prove the reason?

Godaddy has a history of flouting ICANN rules and making up others...

One member here did experience Godaddy's clawback on an auction win after the domain hit his/her account, but I don't know why.

Maybe it was a TM or something or maybe it was nothing at all.

Last edited:
•••
Ms_Domainer said:
One member here did experience Godaddy's clawback on an auction win after the domain hit his/her, but I don't know why.

That's two members. I also reported to you a clawback a few days ago. They kept the domain for themselves.

•••
All those domains that closed on 5/28 will be ready on 6/5, but even then, I would keep mum because Godaddy has a 30-day clawback policy.

On what basis? Where?

After this period the name has been deleted (day 12).. finished the 30 day redemption grace period.. the original registrant technically has no rights of ownership. YOU have paid for the renewal.

If a registrar were to take back that name they would essentially be stealing the name.

There is a clear 30 day REGISTRATION agreement but I've never read anything on a RENEWAL.

What is this 30 day clawback?

//Note this is different to NameJet where the name is transferred prior to the end of the RGP.

I did look at the example in the other thread but when someone complains without mentioning names or details I usually chalk it up to their misunderstanding or something other than what is reported... for example, it's not an expiring sale it's a private sale and with some other circumstance conveniently not mentioned. Everyone Lies.

•••
A few decent available names in closeouts:

ambivalent.us
homejob.us
lawnservices.us

•••

From Number 8 in Godaddy's Agreement:

8. ADDITIONAL RESERVATION OF RIGHTS

Go Daddy expressly reserves the right to deny, cancel, terminate, suspend, lock, or modify access to (or control of) any Account or Services (including the right to cancel or transfer any domain name registration) for any reason (as determined by Go Daddy in its sole and absolute discretion), including but not limited to the following: (i) to correct mistakes made by Go Daddy in offering or delivering any Services (including any domain name registration), (ii) to protect the integrity and stability of, and correct mistakes made by, any domain name registry, (iii) to assist with our fraud and abuse detection and prevention efforts, (iv) to comply with applicable local, state, national and international laws, rules and regulations, (v) to comply with requests of law enforcement, including subpoena requests, (vi) to comply with any dispute resolution process, (vii) to defend any legal action or threatened legal action without consideration for whether such legal action or threatened legal action is eventually determined to be with or without merit, or (viii) to avoid any civil or criminal liability on the part of Go Daddy, its officers, directors, employees and agents, as well as Go Daddy’s affiliates.

The agreement doesn't even specify any time limit.

And for any reason.

I suspect that this is a standard clause in all Registrar TOS.

Of course, it would be bad business to cancel registrations willy nilly. Also, I would think that prevailing law would trump any TOS, just like those stupid parking garage TOS that hold the parking garage harmless should anything happen to a customer's car or signing a waiver at a doctor's office or emergency room (toothless agreements).

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Regarding auction sales:

6. Go Daddy Expired Domain names (Premier Auctions)

From time to time, Go Daddy may list domain names which have entered into an expiration period for their original registration (“Expired Domain Names”). Expired Domain Names will be clearly marked on the site. These Expired Domain Names may be listed on the Site on the date of their expiration, however, no sale will be final until forty-five (45) days after the date of expiration. During the redemption period, as described in the Domain Name Registration Agreement, the original registrant has the right to reclaim the Expired Domain Name.

Godaddy transfers the name to your account on day 42.

So this suggests that there is at least a 3-day danger period when the domain could possibly be clawed back.

By the way, these agreements, as per the ICANN agreement, were NOT easy to find.

I went to the site map and got this link, which is a page offering the various agreements:

I don't know if the 30-day rule applies to auction wins or not, but I can see that it is possible for GD to claw back your domain within three days of it landing into your account.

Last edited:
•••
Well, my one dynadot auction I won was just renewed. I hadn't bid on an auction name in a while. Has this renewing expired names been going on for a while?

•••
Well, my one dynadot auction I won was just renewed. I hadn't bid on an auction name in a while. Has this renewing expired names been going on for a while?

I don't know about Dynadot, but, yes, at least at Godaddy.

•••

80% of the names I won were renewed. Oh well.

Dynadot has had expiring domains for awhile, but the best names almost always get renewed.

Brad

•••
80% of the names I won were renewed. Oh well.

Dynadot has had expiring domains for awhile, but the best names almost always get renewed.

Brad

I've also faced the same problem with dynadot, while with godaddy never.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back