Domain Empire

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I missed an auction last month. Beside that, no one even bothered with the name at closeouts. :D

However, I was waiting for the name to drop, but usually that doesn't always turn out well. So I wondered if it was possible to backorder since it hasn't yet dropped. I went to GD and saw that a backorder is still possible. But whenever you backorder a name, it goes to auction. Is this also true for names which are about to be deleted (5 days time) and have been at tdnam already and no one wanted it? I am not sure if I should backorder or not?

One thing everybody should note is that that when you press backorder, it always gives a dumb story that someone else has already backordered it, bla bla bla, and it will go to auction. :D There's a chance it's not true. I just checked if there were any backorders on my hand-reg of last week, and guess what... there apparently is one! :D In fact I tried it with many of my names, and it says this-so that is just the reason they are providing for sending it to auction. :lol:

Back to my question, anyone with advice?

:wave:

•••
A few nice names currently in GD closeouts if anyone wants them.

BrisbaneBikes.com
MayberryApartments.com
VictoryParkApartments.com

Thanks
Dave

•••
I missed an auction last month. Beside that, no one even bothered with the name at closeouts. :D

However, I was waiting for the name to drop, but usually that doesn't always turn out well. So I wondered if it was possible to backorder since it hasn't yet dropped.

backorder it. you have nothing to lose.

I forgot to grab an auction domain a few months ago. it had just disappeared from the closeout list. (not a high value domain) it was NOT showing pending delete.

I fired a backorder at it because I didn't want it to drop and be widely available. it worked.

•••

However, I was waiting for the name to drop, but usually that doesn't always turn out well. So I wondered if it was possible to backorder since it hasn't yet dropped. I went to GD and saw that a backorder is still possible. But whenever you backorder a name, it goes to auction. Is this also true for names which are about to be deleted (5 days time) and have been at tdnam already and no one wanted it? I am not sure if I should backorder or not?

One thing everybody should note is that that when you press backorder, it always gives a dumb story that someone else has already backordered it, bla bla bla, and it will go to auction. :D There's a chance it's not true. I just checked if there were any backorders on my hand-reg of last week, and guess what... there apparently is one! :D In fact I tried it with many of my names, and it says this-so that is just the reason they are providing for sending it to auction. :lol:

Back to my question, anyone with advice?

I wouldn't spend the $20.99 backorder fee on a deleting domain. First of all, Godaddy is awful at catching deleting names.

Also, if they do catch it, it will go to auction, with your backorder placed as the first $10.00 bid.

When domains get bids, they also attract eyeballs. It may be that no one but you wants the domain, but keep in mind that our fellow domainers tend to exhibit a bit of lemming behavior.

You could place a backorder with Domainmonster, who accepts only one backorder per domain. But if you win, it will cost about $60.00. (Backordering is free, though.)

You could also try to catch it on your own. If it didn't get snapped up in closeouts, then it may slip under the radar.

But in this biz, one never knows.

Good luck!

•••
backorder it. you have nothing to lose.

I forgot to grab an auction domain a few months ago. it had just disappeared from the closeout list. (not a high value domain) it was NOT showing pending delete.

I fired a backorder at it because I didn't want it to drop and be widely available. it worked.

So basically, it didn't go to auction again, and just showed up in your account later?

You could also try to catch it on your own. If it didn't get snapped up in closeouts, then it may slip under the radar.

But in this biz, one never knows.

Good luck!

But there are many guys out there who wouldn't place a $12 bid and hope and no one takes it so that they can get it at $5. :D There are even more guys who do not want to pay more than $2-$5 or more than reg fee for a name and wait for it to drop instead-and I really don't have time to compete with those guys. :hehe:

So, are you saying it will go to auction again should I decide to backorder?

•••
So basically, it didn't go to auction again, and just showed up in your account later?

that is what happened.

a couple things to note:

use a discount code when paying for a backorder. this can bring the cost down close to $15........ which is close to minimum auction cost of regfee plus $5.

don't wait till the last minute (before drop) to backorder. the system needs some time to do its thing. maybe a day? not sure the minimum leadtime.

•••
that is what happened.

a couple things to note:

use a discount code when paying for a backorder. this can bring the cost down close to $15........ which is close to minimum auction cost of regfee plus $5.

don't wait till the last minute (before drop) to backorder. the system needs some time to do its thing. maybe a day? not sure the minimum leadtime.

Thanks for that info! That makes sense that it wouldn't go to auction for a second time. I have a 32% discount code which I will use on Sunday-3 days should do the trick. One day is a bit risky. :hehe:

Repped!! :tu:

•••
which I will use on Sunday-3 days should do the trick. One day is a bit risky.

why wait?

don't wait. after a domain reached pending delete, it's going to drop.

if you backorder it BEFORE it reaches pending delete, there is a chance that it will be sold to you, and NOT drop.

•••
why wait?

don't wait. after a domain reached pending delete, it's going to drop.

if you backorder it BEFORE it reaches pending delete, there is a chance that it will be sold to you, and NOT drop.

:D Indeed! I shouldn't wait. You give solid advice there, Sir!

Once it hits pending delete, the backorder option will not appear. This happened to me in the past as well. :red: But at the time when I discovered the auction had passed, it was pending delete. And when it dropped, it was caught. :yell: This time, I found out just in time. And that domain will be mine! :snaphappy:

•••

Probably no longer a big secret, but I did "catch" catch.us in the big auction of 5/28.

The most I have ever paid for a .us.

The former owner evidently did not renew any of his .us domains.

•••
Just received LockWizards dot com from the closeouts.

•••
congrats!

It is an interesting domain :)

Probably no longer a big secret, but I did "catch" catch.us in the big auction of 5/28.

The most I have ever paid for a .us.

The former owner evidently did not renew any of his .us domains.

•••
:D Indeed! I shouldn't wait. You give solid advice there, Sir!

Once it hits pending delete, the backorder option will not appear. This happened to me in the past as well. :red: But at the time when I discovered the auction had passed, it was pending delete. And when it dropped, it was caught. :yell: This time, I found out just in time. And that domain will be mine! :snaphappy:

Interesting!

Let us know what happens.

If this works for you, then maybe it IS worthwhile placing a GD backorder, at least in this case.

Hope it works out for you!

•••
cdboard said:

This is a ridiculous statement. 45 days after expiry GoDaddy deletes the domain from their register. They no longer have any control over that domain unless you are the original owner and pay their Registry Redemption Fee. so any backorder after day 45 is just pissing in the wind hoping that it's not picked up by anyone else when it drops. But if you are the only backorderer before day 45, you will win the domain, unless it's renewed by the previous owner paying GoDaddy's Redemption fee, or it gets another backorder, when it will go to auction.

•••
you're the one who fixated on 45 days, not me. my statement was more general.

•••
But my point is after 45 days GoDaddy cannot satisfy any back order which doesn't entail the domain dropping first (which is a free for all which Godaddy are not good at). If you wait after 45 days to place the backorder you severely limit your chances of winning the domain (if it is desirable). If you backorder the domain anytime between Day 45 and Pending Delete status, it is exactly the same as backordering during Pending Delete. In both cases the domain will drop before Godaddy tries to capture the domain. You stated that it might not drop. IT WILL DROP after 45 days no matter what (excluding the original owner renewing the domain).

•••
According to GD, the domain in question will drop. The backorder was placed too late.

So I will have to join the other peeps who might want this domain as well.

Time to hit the gym and get ready for drop day! :D

•••
I didn't read everything, just my experience with one Godaddy backorder.
I moved the Backorder from one domain to another for a long time because Godaddy wasn't able to catch a single name, even C Quality names. Then after probably 10 unsuccessful atempts, wild west domains got it, and then godaddy sent the domain to auction, someones else overbid me.
Never again a godaddy backorder, lost a lot of my time

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

btw, here is how i understood the godaddy expiration until drop works

- After domain expired, the owner has 18 days to renew with the normal renewal price (Godaddy tells you you have 12 days, but you have 6 more days)
- between day 19 and day 25, there is no auction, but the owner has to pay the 80 dollars fee to renew it (he can renew up to 42 days after expiration with the 80 dollars BTW)
- between day 25 and day 35 there is the auction
- between day 35 and day 40 there is closeouts (each day lowering the price, until finally the lowest 5$)
- Between day 40 and day 45 there is a 5 day wait period
- and then there is redemption period 30 days
- and finally 5 days pending delete, on sixth day between 11 am and 3pm PDT time the names (com/net) drop from Registry (verisign) and you can either try to hand reg or use snapnames, etc. to do it

Once in pending delete, everyone has the same chance and there is no advantage for GOdaddy

I am not sure if this is 100% correct but that is what i remember

Last edited:
•••

If you look carefully, there are some nice domains in GD closeouts. They may not always be "obvious" at first glance, but they're there.

I picked up a nice one today (BIN), and if it makes through redemption week (+ 3 days), I'll share it with you and reveal why I think it's a winner.

So what characteristics do I see in low hanging fruit (ripe and ready for plucking)?

• Mostly .com domains

• Descriptive for established products or services and yet brandable and trademarkable

• Correctly spelled

• Passes the radio test

• Instantly memorable, especially when a potential customer, going 70 mph down the highway, passes a billboard with the term pasted on it

• Positive connotation, although the product or service itself may not offer good news for some people (I'll explain this once I reveal the domain, ;) )

• When you see the term, one instantly envisions possible end-users--LOTS of them

• Intuitive two-worders, REAL words and REAL term (not manufactured)

• Short domains (8 letters or fewer, although some long tails might work as well)

• If I have to ask myself, "How did this one slip by so many eyeballs?" then I'm pretty sure that it's a goodie. (It was on my watch list for days--I was sure it was going to be bid up, definitely surprised it was not)

• Aged domains. I added this last because age in itself is not a strong factor (I have seen a lot of junky "old" domains in closeouts), but with the above factors, it's important.

The analytics may not be especially strong, but it wouldn't take much to get this term out for this particular product or service.

What are some of the characteristics that you look for in closeouts?

•••
^ some of the above. If I had all that I'd bid for it in the regular auction :)

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

@GiftedDomains - Add a 5 day wait period after day 40 before it goes into the 30 day redemption period on Day 45 (when GoDaddy deletes it from their records).

•••
Thanks Stub. Updated the list

•••
Dominionism Renewed

Dominionism dot com got renewed by its previous owner.

•••
Wow, thanks all of you! I just read every post in this thread lots of info! Glad you guys dont charge for this stuff! :)

I picked up a closeout on GD 2 days go, its a one word.net dictionary, from reading here, is there a chance i wont get it?
How long does it usually take?

Thanks again! :)

•••
Wow, thanks all of you! I just read every post in this thread lots of info! Glad you guys dont charge for this stuff! :)

I picked up a closeout on GD 2 days go, its a one word.net dictionary, from reading here, is there a chance i wont get it?

Go to "Domains I won" it will tell you when it converts to yours.....

•••

The original owner could renew it, so shhhh...

It usually takes the domain about a week to hit your account. If you go to the "won" tab, it will say something like "Domain ready on [date]." If it was a BIN, then it will have just the date.

Typically, the domain will hit your account the evening before that date, but not always.

If I decide to reveal a win on the forum, I wait until about three days after the domain has landed in my account.

If your domain is really good, it might get renewed, but most of the time you will get the domain. High profile domains tend to get renewed, though.

:(

But that's life, I suppose.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back