IT.COM

GoDaddy Auctions Questionable Listing Practices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CupidName

Upgraded Member
Impact
I am sure this topic has been touched on in the past but I want to raise awareness again. A few years ago I noticed that as a private seller listing on Godaddy auctions the age, appraisal value, and traffic is not displayed, unlike the expired auctions. Godaddy seems to benefit more from the expired auctions versus the private listings financially (assumption). If you take 2 comparable domain names with the same age, value, and traffic I bet the expired auction will always sell much higher than the private one. I have petitioned many times for Godaddy to add these metrics to the private listings allowing a level playing field and keep getting the same old response from the auction team that they do not allow these metrics for private listings. So to me, this is a one-sided auction site that does not benefit private sellers.

I am not here to bash any organization but just raise awareness and try and get some answers. If anyone has connections to the hire-ups within Godaddy it would be great to get a clear answer why the private listings can not have the same metrics?

I have attached an example of the missing metrics.

Attachments

• HalloweenNite.jpg
    HalloweenNite.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 106
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is interesting. As a private seller I could see why or why not someone would want the appraisal value to be listed. It could help or hurt a sale.

They should at least allow private sellers to opt-in to listing the appraisal value. It could certainly be beneficial in some circumstances.

@Paul Nicks @Joe Styler

Any thoughts on this?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
That is interesting. As a private seller I could see why or why not someone would want the appraisal value to be listed. It could help or hurt a sale.

They should at least allow private sellers to opt-in to listing the appraisal value. It could certainly be beneficial in some circumstances.

@Paul Nicks @Joe Styler

Any thoughts on this?

Brad
Brad,

Absolutely, even having the option would be a huge step. Mike

•••
I've always found listing domains at Godaddy as an auction is a huge waste of time. The spotlight is on expired domain names and private auctions seem to be hidden from view. This is just my opinion of my experience but maybe things have changed.

•••
While I certainly see your point, most would love if those pesky and pretty much sale thwarting valuations were eliminated from listings all together. Many have expressed such. Mike Mann comes to mind.

I actually think it could help a sale. Domainers care about stats. End users care about the name and the price.

•••
I've always found listing domains at Godaddy as an auction is a huge waste of time. The spotlight is on expired domain names and private auctions seem to be hidden from view. This is just my opinion of my experience but maybe things have changed.
The only exception would be 4L .com (and 3L c/n/o) although I would stress setting a reserve price. Obviously they might also get second fiddle treatment, which is why the reserve, but ultimately they will get action as long as the market stays healthy.

•••
What I find tiresome about @GoDaddy Auctions is the time it takes for domains to get listed after submission, even though the domains have the appropriate TXT record: godaddyverification=nM45fDPEdjwinOhdvNqDtA==

I've also noticed for the past two weeks that domains submitted on friday nights or weekends won't get listed until at least Monday (see dates in screenshot). It makes you wonder if there's a manual procedure on their end for every listing even if the TXT record instructions are followed.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 10.46.30 AM.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Always noticed this and it made zero sense to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back