Dynadot

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Especially considering Carolyn.com sold for 52k in 2008!

•••
What? Does nobody have an opinion as to whether GoDaddy have changed their whois presentation, or not?

I wonder if they limit queries by IP - some days I get full info, others not.

•••
They certainly do. But they are basically moving to the short-form whois where you need to click another link to see the full details. I think this is to stop the scraping of their whois records. It works too :( The problem is, this is not what a domainer needs for looking up his own domains. He/She wants to see the whole whois with one URL link. He also wants to look the whois up if he changes something (not very often but maybe once every too years). He simply cannot do this at all now. I left GoDaddy when they restricted lookups by IP to circa 120/day. This is impossible with a large portfolio. It was my main reason for dumping GoDaddy, who are not domainer friendly at all. It's totally impossible nowadays.

•••
I am interesting in a domain
Expires On July 30, 2014
Status redemption Period
Registrar Info GODADDY.COM, LLC

But when I check at the GD auction it is not exist. why it is not at the GD auction ?
If we BO at GD the start date will be reset right ?

•••
Domain is in redemption, it's too late. The owner could still renew it but this will be expensive ($80 or more).

•••
Thanks. I will wait till drop. I think not many people want it now

•••
Because it's day 54 after expiry and its been deleted from GoDaddy accounts on day 45. Auctions close by day 42. So that is why you cannot find it on GoDaddy Auctions.

•••
why would you NOT backorder it at godaddy?

(reminder to use a 35% off code when you buy the backorder)

•••
•••
why would you NOT backorder it at godaddy?

Because GoDaddy has a very bad record of actually capturing dropping domains.

•••
fwiw, it has happened that a godaddy backorder got a domain that had passed through the auctions with no bids. (before it dropped) granted, it was backordered just one day after it disappeared from the auctions.

if you were the godaddy master controller, would you let a domain go into pending delete and get nothing for it, or accept a backorder for it and keep the name with your company and make a few bucks?

my take: it's worth a shot if you could use the backorder for something else (if it does not catch the first domain)

•••
Yeah. You are talking about Pre-Release domains, not Pending Delete domains. I was talking about Pending Delete domains. Nobody usually place a backorder on Pre-Release domains, they just place a bid at the auction. It's a quirk of GoDaddy's Auctions. Normally you need to have the backorder in place at the time the auction finishes. So these are very specific circumstances, not normally akin to placing a backorder on a dropping domain. Which they never catch if there is any competition. In fact they cannot even beat a hand-reg. That's how bad they are.

•••
I was addressing utomo's situation, where it was in "Status - redemption Period"

so it was not yet in pending delete.

sure it is not done often (backordering post auctions), but it worked for me earlier this year, and I am waiting to see on one right now. earlier this year I was about one day late, this last time it was more than that (I did not count).

if it isn't done very often, it might not be worth coding the system to automate late backorder catches.

•••
Thanks. I Backorder, using coupon as it is not so expensive

•••
If you dont get the domain they will refund you.

I bid, won, and paid for a domain name and now I just have to wait for the redemption to be over so I can get the domain. It was an expiring domain name and I tried to buy it from the P.O but he stoped responding after he found out it would cost $80 to renew and he said he would sell it to me at $50.

But The domain auction ended on the 22nd and it will release to me on the 30th.

•••
I never get the refund. I just got credit to used for other domain.

BTW anybody know the latest time to transfer domain from GD after expired date ?
Thanks

•••
before redemption period I think

•••
Day 42 after expiry. But I wouldn't leave it that late in case you mis-judge the time. So I'd say Day 41 after expiry is probably the last safe day to transfer a domain away.

•••
This thread has been slow lately, so I thought I would "revitalize" it by posting some of my recent (last two months) Go Daddy acquisitions:

Gemlocker.com

Nonze.com

Gray-matter.com (1995 reg date)

uAwe.com

Quoze.com

iSnark.com

Dynodata.com (Big Data possibilities)

Plexe.com

Jifly.com (my pseudonym for a Young Adult novel I'm writing: J.I. Fly)

Cersy.com​

That's about it.

What have you acquired lately at Go Daddy auction?

•••
Does anyone know for what period the traffic stats are that are being showed on Godaddy Auctions?

•••
Does anyone know for what period the traffic stats are that are being showed on Godaddy Auctions?
Should be for 30 days. However, they are wildly inaccurate, and very often simply bogus. I have learned not to trust them.

•••

For domains on expiring auction or closeout, 30 - 60 days depending on parking history. For domains on public auction or make offer if the domains are parked through their cash parking page, the stats start from the day its listed on auction.

In my experience, unless the domains have strong backlinks and history, most of the high traffic stats are from bots/fake.

•••
•••
I have seen them lately be bogus, when the number listed for traffic was 50 and under and 0 uniques once parked, I would say names I have won that showed over 100 have had some traffic once parked. It's hit or miss usually with the traffic component.

•••
Probably this has been asked before, but I don't have time to sift thru 42 pages.

Does GoDaddy REALLY hold buyer's payment for a full 30 days at auction end? (That end under $50.)

I've never completed an auction (as a seller) there before and didn't realize this wonderful feature until after I listed my auctions. If it's true, it's a crock of...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back