IT.COM

discuss Former domain owner insults me and refutes my ownership

NameSilo
Watch

McJilton

Established Member
Impact
Would be nice if he didn’t block me, nonetheless the price is now increased $40k

Not to worry the domain is pending sale but I may back out of it and hold. Anyone ever experience a response like this?

Attachments

• B6BE8ED1-9680-46C2-9A5A-ABC3673B0E92.jpeg
    B6BE8ED1-9680-46C2-9A5A-ABC3673B0E92.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 440
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you acquired the domain name legitimately, like it dropped (expired) and you bought it, then I would tell them that. Tell them that they're not the current registrant, as they let the domain name expire.

If they're so attached to it they may want to buy it back once they see their mistake.

•••
Back out of the pending sale and hold.
Good strategÿ
Worse responses is answer to your question.
Nice name btw

•••
I think bhartzer is right. Don't take it personally. Of course they are angry!

•••
the previous owner thinks they still own the domain

•••
If you acquired the domain name legitimately, like it dropped (expired) and you bought it, then I would tell them that. Tell them that they're not the current registrant, as they let the domain name expire.

If they're so attached to it they may want to buy it back once they see their mistake.

Thanks yes in retrospect, I agree good call, it’s just confusing because the company that owned it was in NH and this guy is in the UK but maybe he meant “family” like (extended family and other Millard’s across the globe)

Back out of the pending sale and hold.
Good strategÿ
Worse responses is answer to your question.
Nice name btw

Thanks I appreciate the advice!

I think bhartzer is right. Don't take it personally. Of course they are angry!

I appreciate this as well, I can be, testy, to say the least. The old gift and the curse of bpd. You are indeed correct, should not have taken it personal.

the previous owner thinks they still own the domain

Likely the case, they will be extra mad when they see the price tag lol

Last edited:
•••
Do they know you're talking specifically about a domain name? Or the name using dot-com? Why did you target them on it?

Just saying, you mentioned something about this kind of name rarely coming to market, which leads me to believe you've held it for a while, and the buyer thinks you may be talking about something else that he has owned for 30 years, perhaps his business name.

•••
Are you marketing this domain to someone who used to own it and would use for a business named Millard? Or just to a person whose family name is Millard? Either way, pray they won't learn about what UDRP is.

•••
Thanks I learned that lesson early 2000s with nestle corporation. I would like to think that a common surname will not have any issues legally, the business that used it was sold and rebranded so this guy is just wrong.

•••
Thanks I learned that lesson early 2000s with nestle corporation. I would like to think that a common surname will not have any issues legally, the business that used it was sold and rebranded so this guy is just wrong.
It's not supposed to but when you outbound to the previous owner, now that's a problem. like @capybara said "pray they won't learn about what UDRP is." cus you will most probably lose it if he was really the previous owner. GL

•••
the domain is pending sale but I may back out of it and hold

Unless the buyer defaults it's never a good idea to back out of a pending sales agreement.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I had a similar experience way back. It's difficult when they feel like the domain is their property. But we don't own domains. We just temporarily own the usage rights to domains so long as the registration fee is paid.

•••
Tell them

"Since I own the name, we must be family. How is everyone doing? Send my regards."

Honestly don't bother replying. A lot of people, especially elderly, don't understand what a domain is. They probably own a business with that name and doesn't understand what you are trying to sell.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back