NameSilo

Won domain in recent Sedo auction, made payment, transaction cancelled 4 days later.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Got this message from Sedo while waiting for domain transfer:

Transaction cancelled by Sedo​

As the seller is not or no longer the owner of this domain, he is not authorized to sell it.
Sedo will therefore not proceed with the transaction at this point.

You might want to take a legal action against the seller, therefore we have made his contact data available in your Sedo contract.

The suspension of the transfer in no way affects the Purchase & Sales Agreement between the seller and the buyer. In case you and the seller agree to continue the transaction, Sedo may proceed with the transfer.

Seller
Aaron Oxborrow
xxxxxxxx
El Cerrito, US xxxxx
United States

How does this happen??? Does Sedo not check ownership prior to listing domains in premium auctions? Did this seller really list a domain he no longer owns in error or was he just not happy with the winning bid?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I assume u checked whois etc... could be anything.. but if sedo says not owner then u would assume it's true. unless they use some blanket statements for all situations such as seller not wanting to sell and transfer name for any reason. or just call sedo ask more info.

•••
Where were nameservers pointing? You want to check that before you buy. Many old listings everywhere.

If the servers are not pointed you should buy where they are pointed or investigate or inquire first.

This guy created domain.io I believe. He posts on X. If it was an auction that he initiated the excuse doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
•••
I just got an apology saying he sold it last year, he applied for the auction with all his .io domains 🤦🏻. He showed proof of the sale. Still sucks for me, but I’ll live… thanks everyone!

Last edited:
•••

As the seller is not or no longer the owner of this domain, he is not authorized to sell it.

You might want to take a legal action against the seller, therefore we have made his contact data available in your Sedo contract.

The suspension of the transfer in no way affects the Purchase & Sales Agreement between the seller and the buyer. In case you and the seller agree to continue the transaction, Sedo may proceed with the transfer.

Seller
Aaron Oxborrow
xxxxxxxx
El Cerrito, US xxxxx
United States

How does this happen??? Does Sedo not check ownership prior to listing domains in premium auctions? Did this seller really list a domain he no longer owns in error or was he just not happy with the winning bid?
Happened with me before.

•••
I heard a ton cases on all markets sales get cancelled due to old owner listings.. but they were basically all bins... this may be first I hear of auction. but I guess its possible

•••
How does this happen??? Does Sedo not check ownership prior to listing domains in premium auctions?
They do, but only for the initial listing.

If the domain sells on e.g. Afternic (or some other venue) then Sedo isn't aware of that, and a lot of people don't bother removing listings because there's no real penalty to it.

Last edited:
•••

Seller
Aaron Oxborrow
xxxxxxxx
El Cerrito, US xxxxx
United States

So far in over a few dozen transactions, this has happened once to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back