Domain Empire

poll So I was gonna buy a GTLD in the Aftermarket, but...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will not knowing the renewal price stop you from bidding in the GTLD aftermarket?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

I was going to put a bid in on a new gtld in the aftermarket, but I don't know what the renewal fee will be. How can I tell if it has a regular renewal fee pricing or some crazy ass "Premium" price for the renewal.

I was just about to place my bid when I was stopped by the following-

" * Plus a one year domain name registration renewal fee and ICANN fee, if applicable"

Normally this wouldn't scare me off from placing a bid on a domain in the aftermarket, but this gtld could be very expensive to renew, I just don't know.

This gtld has renewal pricing from $20 to over $10,000. I have no clue what the pricing is for this particular domain. It looks like it was reg'd when the gtld came out, so it could have much higher than normal renewal fees!

This is a major problem that stopped me from buying or placing a bid on a new gtld in the aftermarket.

If I had placed a bid and it was accepted and it had a very high renewal fee, I would have been pissed and would have to pay due to the user agreement.

This seems like it could be a huge issue for end users not just domainers. We are going to have to know the renewal fees for each and every domain within each and ever gtld that has different pricing structures.

Is there a way to tell what the renewal pricing is gtld's without contacting the seller? I don't like to let sellers know how interested I am in their domain! What if the whois is set to private?

Are domainers and end users going to have to contact the registry or registrar or the domain owners of each domain we are interested in the GTLD aftermarket.

What to do?

This could be "THE" reason some gtld's are having problems with sales in the aftermarket!

A major problem has been created for all of us in the industry.

Again, what do you guys think about this issue? Please post your concerns, comments, or ideas. Will this issue make you pause before buying gtlds in the aftermarket. It did me!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is actually a pretty important subject and concern we all should have. Unless I'm not understanding something or missing something or maybe no one cares or everyone wants to bury their head in the sand to avoid this subject. Maybe it's been talked about and I'm all by myself at the bus stop.

If you own a gtld or want to buy or sell a gtld in the aftermarket then this should concern you greatly. I'm not posting this to bash the gtld (this time). I started this thread as a legitimate problem that I see and have.

How can we buy a gtld in an auction if the renewal price is not listed? What if there is a very high renewal fee associated with a domain.

What will someone think if they win an auction for $100 and then come to find out the renewal for that particular domain within a gtld is way more than the regular base renewal fees?

This is an extreme example but let's say you find Business.xyz in an aftermarket auction and it has a $100 price tag. You bid and win. Then you get a bill for $13,099.99. It's $100 for the domain and $12,999.99 for the one year renewal. I know the keyword "Business" wouldn't sell for $100 but just follow along with me.

I was on Godaddy's site when this issue came up. I can't ask the renewal on this domain without first placing a bid. Then I'm stuck with the bid and possibly high renewal fee.

If anyone knows the answer or has an idea on how to find one, please post it here so we all can learn from this. At least take the poll if you've read into this post this far. If more people see this as I problem, I will try to keep looking for an answer to help.

•••
You can act like you are transferring the domain to another registrar to get the renewal price of the domain.

•••
You can act like you are transferring the domain to another registrar to get the renewal price of the domain.

Thanks for the reply!

I just tried that and didn't have any luck getting a price. It's reg'd at GD and I tried to put it into a transfer to namecheap. No luck, but thanks for the suggestion. I thought that might have worked. I put it into GD also, but got nowhere.

I'll keep looking for another way. I really don't want to email the owner unless it's the last resort. Plus what would I do if the whois is private? Not sure if the buyer would get it.

Bummer.

•••
I always use Godaddy to check for renewals when the domain is registered somewhere other than Godaddy and I use Uniregistry to check for renewals at Godaddy. Best of luck.

•••
I have to have an account at uniregistry. Maybe if I just call GD they will point me in the right direction.
Thanks though.

I wish it was posted somewhere in the auction. It seems like there is a full-disclosure issue that needs to come to a head with gtlds and the aftermarket.

•••
The higher the renewal, the more it feels like you rent a domain, rather than own it.

All renewals should be $10 / year. JMO :xf.grin:

•••
The higher the renewal, the more it feels like you rent a domain, rather than own it.

All renewals should be $10 / year. JMO :xf.grin:

I agree, but it really feels more like extortion!

•••
Godaddy Rep was saying I would need to contact Godaddy and ask them to look up the renewal for the domain I was looking at in their auction site.

If they have 100's or 1000's of people having to call in and ask what the renewal cost is going to be on each domain within a gtld, they are going to have to hire 100's of more customer service reps.

What a PITA this is going to make the aftermarket! They need to list the renewal fee for each domain within each gtld that has variable pricing.

Do you understand what I'm talking about here?

Does nobody else on here really see this as an issue? This is a major friggin problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back