Dynadot

discuss Facebook is Now META!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Alphabet is a brand used for a different use, not a generic use.

This would be like IBM rebranding to "Internet" or something. FB arrived late to the "metaverse" party and appear to be trying to monopolize a generic term for the generic use. It is totally different.

Brad

Didn't Google restructure and are using Alphabet as a holding company and chucked all their moonshot projects into it and Google is just a subsidiary?

Last edited:
•••
Isn't any "parent company" essentially just a generic company name that holds a bunch of different smaller companies that may or may not be related?

They can call themselves whatever they want. The point being that they will not have the same TM protection as a different, less generic name. "Meta" is clearly a generic term for "metaverse" which their company is supposed to be focused on.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Didn't Google restructure and are using Alphabet as a holding company and chucked all their moonshot projects into it and Google is just a subsidiary?

Yeah, Alphabet is not used in reality. Everything is still "Google" for all practical purposes.

I don't think FB is doing the same thing. They clearly are going to actually use "Meta" as a brand when it comes to marketing.

In their dystopian future everyone is connected to VR and no longer lives in the real world. Good times!

I still think the entire thing is mainly just distraction from the many real issues facing the company.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The "dystopian future" is more the real created "(fake) coronaverse" and not Meta Platforms, Inc.'s vision of the metaverse (into which one is anyway not forced to jump), better lost in metaverse than lost in media lies and the imagination that there is a pandemic.

•••
My understanding: Facebook is cancer, and it Metastatized.

•••
Regardless what anyone thinks of Facebook, I don't think anyone can doubt the power/influence they have on the web. I've never seen a company rebrand send shockwaves as what this as done, not even when Google rebranded to Alphabet.

Look at all the threads on here, look how many 'Meta' domain sales there's been, 1 week old .co's and .net's have been selling for mid-5 figures, I've never seen anything like that before.

Last edited:
•••
My understanding: Facebook is cancer, and it Metastatized.
With all respect, let me repair your understanding here (although it was a (dark) play on words).

Facebook is not "cancer" and not "metastatized", Facebook is a social media network (by Meta Platforms, Inc.) that ...

... no one is forced to use - like their other platforms.

Last edited:
•••
Good read in The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...acebook-metaverse-was-always-terrible/620546/

upload_2021-10-30_1-59-25.png

•••

It reminds me of the Dave Chappelle sketch about internet shopping from back in the day.

https://www.cc.com/video/az3sy8/chappelle-s-show-if-the-internet-were-a-real-place

I get why FB wants it, so they can inundate you with endless ads. I can't think of a less trustworthy company to be involved in this stuff.

They should have hired someone with actual human emotions to try to pitch it, instead of Zuckerberg.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Looks like CHIPs bubble...
And Chinese activity in this niche is high as well...

Last edited:
•••
Regarding the keynote ...

... I have a bit the feeling that Mark Zuckerberg was, at least in parts, a CGI in this video as sometimes he was "glowing" somehow and the way he was moving (especially his hands / arms) seemed kind of artificial and similar to the avatars beside him ...

... probably they want to figure out if (and if, how many) people will realize it. I have no reason to not believe this - after all, developing virtual worlds / CGIs / avatars is / will become now
(one of) their core activities (to, finally, make money (creating virtual advertising spaces)).

•••
:yuck:
all meta names will be sued by

Facebook IP & DNS Enforment Group
Legal Dept.
Facebook, Inc.

https://www.meta.org/
Meta, a Chan Zuckerberg Initiative project, is a biomedical research discovery tool that analyzes & connects millions of scientific outputs to give you a comprehensive view into science. You can easily explore research and follow developments by searching for specific terms or creating customizable feeds of papers and preprints.

https://meta.com/ redirect to https://about.facebook.com/meta

•••
I think this is good news for any random Meta domain. Facebook is going to have to pay 6 figures for mediocre Meta .coms just in the name of brand protection.

Quite the opposite. Facebook will take it from you for brand protection

•••
Now it is yet to be determined what it does to all Meta domains.
Personally, I don't think their value has decreased.
"meta" is a generic term.
*This is not a legal advice.

Last edited:
•••
Quite the opposite. Facebook will take it from you for brand protection

Facebook (nobody with any self-respect is going to start calling them Meta) isn't going to buy random meta garbage for any figures, but Facebook also does not suddenly own the rights to a dictionary word just because Facebook decides to change their name (Facebook) to it.

•••
I know this is reg. fee, but could not help but register Metastrophic.com (a play on catastrophic)

Maybe will list all the Meta names that did not sell after a year there :xf.grin:

•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad

It's not about how they're gonna protect it, it's about the small guys running away from any name that has meta in it because they're afraid of the BIG guy coming after them. Facebook will kill the Meta domains without lifting a finger.

Last edited:
•••
"Metaverse" creator reacts to Facebook name change

Neal Stephenson is the writer who coined the term "metaverse" 30 years ago in his novel “Snow Crash.”

In an email interview a few short hours after CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s presentation announcing Facebook would rename itself as Meta, Stephenson opened up about seeing his idea begin to come to life.

Read more:

https://www.axios.com/metaverse-cre...nge-a4259282-5016-4c67-a7ae-b0eb381a7773.html

Last edited:
•••
I SAY..MARK SHOULD CLEAN OFF FACEBOOK AND HANG EMPTY PORTAL AND DO SOMETHING ELSS WITH META

•••
"Meta" is also a term used in gaming for years.

Meta: the collective of gameplay strategies that players commonly use

I feel like FB is late to the "metaverse" party, and just trying to claim a generic term for the generic use.

Good luck with that. I don't think their "brand" is protectable for their intended use.

Brad
Twitter tried to do this with 'Dronie'. They failed.

•••
:yuck:
all meta names will be sued by

Facebook IP & DNS Enforment Group
Legal Dept.
Facebook, Inc.

https://www.meta.org/
Meta, a Chan Zuckerberg Initiative project, is a biomedical research discovery tool that analyzes & connects millions of scientific outputs to give you a comprehensive view into science. You can easily explore research and follow developments by searching for specific terms or creating customizable feeds of papers and preprints.

https://meta.com/ redirect to https://about.facebook.com/meta
Looks like you are not really informed about this stuff and even how legal TM's work. FB will be busy defending their own name, because of the over 1600 TM's rights involving the word 'meta', prior to facebooks 'meta' and after thousands of companies are using the term in their name lot's of years before this. FB could not sue anything, probably just excluding a social network named 'meta'.

•••
Looks like you are not really informed about this stuff and even how legal TM's work. FB will be busy defending their own name, because of the over 1600 TM's rights involving the word 'meta', prior to facebooks 'meta' and after thousands of companies are using the term in their name lot's of years before this. FB could not sue anything, probably just excluding a social network named 'meta'.

If you think they got into this with the slightest possibility that they would need to defend their brand, then I suggest you think again.

Perhaps they'll have a hard time going after Meta names (the usage of it), but there's nothing to defend. They own a big chunk of the Metaverse & it's future, & it's best domains.

•••
FB can't just boot a previously existing entity out of existence because of it's similiar name. They own the rights to their unique logo for sure, and I can imagine if a domain was very similiar to their interests etc and registered late to the party perhaps. But I would think they wouldn't want that negative exposure with all the problems they've had recently.

•••
If you think they got into this with the slightest possibility that they would need to defend their brand, then I suggest you think again.

Perhaps they'll have a hard time going after Meta names (the usage of it), but there's nothing to defend. They own a big chunk of the Metaverse & it's future, & it's best domains.
So, what common sense tells you about this: when there is a TM from years ago for gaming industry for the word 'meta', do you think that FB can just start producing games for metaverse, using 'meta' without any legal issues? When there is a TM from years ago for the word 'meta' for machine learning, do you think that FB can be involved in this area by using 'meta' without any legal issues? I could go on and on, until I cover the full 1600 TM's and a few other thousands companies who were using the word for years, without applying for TM rights. Probably they will use it exactly how google is using 'alphabet, just in official papers, for the main stakeholders.

Last edited:
•••
FB can't just boot a previously existing entity out of existence because of it's similiar name. They own the rights to their unique logo for sure, and I can imagine if a domain was very similiar to their interests etc and registered late to the party perhaps. But I would think they wouldn't want that negative exposure with all the problems they've had recently.
That logo is used by tens of companies, including this one: https://www.m-sense.de/en/ I'm not sure if there is a company using 'meta' and that logo.

•••
Back