Dynadot

Examiner.com gets renewed will GoDaddy ever fix their auctions?

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Well it looks like Examiner.com got renewed, the auction was over $131,000 and earlier today the name got renewed. While typing in Examiner.com I get a security warning. Whois updated Registrant Name: Domain Manager Registrant Organization: Axs Digital Media Group, LLC Registrant Address: Co, US Creation Date: September 13, 1994 Update Date: October 30, 2019 […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The Examiner story seems to keep getting stranger!

More generally, I don't understand why auctions start before it is too late to renew. It just wastes people time, leads to confusion, which makes the domain industry look bad. I know I am not alone in saying this, but I have never understood why they don't simply wait a few more days so in all cases it is too late to renew. What do they lose by waiting to auction?

Bob

•••
I believe that registrars should not be allowed to profit from expired domains. How’s that for an opinion?!

Agreed. It's all a bit dubious. There's a big conflict of interests there. If an expired domain goes to auction I think the old owner should get 80-90% of the cut, even if they did forget to renew/were in coma/whatever, if they can be traced, the registrar the remainder to make it worth their while.

•••
Agreed. It's all a bit dubious. There's a big conflict of interests there. If an expired domain goes to auction I think the old owner should get 80-90% of the cut, even if they did forget to renew/were in coma/whatever, if they can be traced, the registrar the remainder to make it worth their while.

This has been discussed many a time, there is no regulation in place for the old owner to receive anything. A couple registrars do give something, but they don't have the platform GoDaddy does.

•••
The Examiner story seems to keep getting stranger!

More generally, I don't understand why auctions start before it is too late to renew. It just wastes people time, leads to confusion, which makes the domain industry look bad. I know I am not alone in saying this, but I have never understood why they don't simply wait a few more days so in all cases it is too late to renew. What do they lose by waiting to auction?

Bob

I would love for @Paul Nicks to spell that out, I believe there are some technical reasons, the names that sell for big money GoDaddy knows would get bids, but I think the ones that only get one would be a risk but I am not sure.

•••
Well it looks like Examiner.com got renewed, the auction was over $131,000 and earlier today the name got renewed. While typing in Examiner.com I get a security warning. Whois updated Registrant Name: Domain Manager Registrant Organization: Axs Digital Media Group, LLC Registrant Address: Co, US Creation Date: September 13, 1994 Update Date: October 30, 2019 […]

Continue Reading
There should be some solution, after all these years, to this age old problem. Probably the domain owner who renewed later or the registrar like Godaddy, should provide a basic compensation to the highest bidder....just thinking. Because for the buyer/bidder, all efforts and anticipation goes in vain once the domain is renewed at the end.

•••
There should be some solution, after all these years, to this age old problem. Probably the domain owner who renewed later or the registrar like Godaddy, should provide a basic compensation to the highest bidder....just thinking. Because for the buyer/bidder, all efforts and anticipation goes in vain once the domain is renewed at the end.
What money would a bidder be out before an auction is over, or any funds are transferred, auctions are always about risk. The 2-3 day window godaddy requires more I have been told in the past is for second, or third chance offers to close.

Last edited:
•••
What money would a bidder be out before an auction is over, or any funds are transferred, auctions are always about risk. The 2-3 day window godaddy requires more I have been told in the past is for second, or third chance offers to close.
Well its not always about the money part. Think as a bidder when you are bidding at a domain for more than $5000, you are keeping your eyes on the auction, you have at the back of your mind that much money must be kept away for this particular auction. In the meantime, you might not bid at other good domains while you are waiting for this first auction. So if the seller renews, your other domains, which you might have won, are lost too. Thats why I mentioned, "efforts" apart from the financial part.

•••
Well its not always about the money part. Think as a bidder when you are bidding at a domain for more than $5000, you are keeping your eyes on the auction, you have at the back of your mind that much money must be kept away for this particular auction. In the meantime, you might not bid at other good domains while you are waiting for this first auction. So if the seller renews, your other domains, which you might have won, are lost too. Thats why I mentioned, "efforts" apart from the financial part.

You make some good points, I think if we really come down to it, GoDaddy is basically saying without saying (because they can't for pr purposes) We know you are going to show up daily for our inventory no matter how much all you domain investors complain. We run this place and it's our way or the highway. I remember years ago talking to someone at Verisign about .tv and the complaints of .tv investors, the person said, "Understood Raymond, please don't take this personally but we don't care what domain investors think." Now that was 12 years ago but I believe a lot of those sentiments exist at the big shops.

•••
You make some good points, I think if we really come down to it, GoDaddy is basically saying without saying (because they can't for pr purposes) We know you are going to show up daily for our inventory no matter how much all you domain investors complain. We run this place and it's our way or the highway. I remember years ago talking to someone at Verisign about .tv and the complaints of .tv investors, the person said, "Understood Raymond, please don't take this personally but we don't care what domain investors think." Now that was 12 years ago but I believe a lot of those sentiments exist at the big shops.

Thank you.

That person from Verisign sounds really rude from this statement. If a Domain Registrar doesn't care about what domain investors think, I am sure one day the domain investors will also not care about that registrar.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back