NameSilo

Everything Starts with a Domain Name

Labeled as infographics in Domain Industry News started by Macit, Mar 19, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Macit

Macit Founder of dofo.com Gold Account

dofo-infographic-01-everything-starts-with-domain-name.jpg

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TERADOMAIN

TERADOMAIN Top Member VIP

Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting and useful infographics.

3. owntype

owntype Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It's the first time I have seen AlanAdlari.com :laugh:

4. Macit

Thanks.

This is the first infographic of dofo.com. We will start to share more interesting infographics soon. (y)

5. Willox Perez

Willox Perez Member

Thank you for sharing this! Pretty cool and interesting. It is really mind blowing to think for 10 years you could register domains for free =-D I went to the site and that's the first thing on it, first and oldest domain.

How cool would it be to own it?!

Crazy how times change as well since back then it was prehistoric computers and limited phone access, now we have endless possibilities and ways of communication.

- Will

6. Macit

It's a Turkish marketplace with about 100,000 domain names for sale ;)

7. garptrader

garptrader Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Many small businesses and developers take the view that a social media presence is adequate. Most businesses find a way to avoid paying for an aftermarket domain - either through choosing a weird brandable, adding extra words or characters or by using a n extension where their desired keyword or phrase is available. Of course those invested in domains view them as essential components of a marketing / branding strategy. But most end usersusers, developers and marketers show via their domain selection and unwillingness to pay a premium price for a domain that domains are not critical to them.

8. garptrader

garptrader Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Many people have very specialized interests. Some people are fanatics about a particular sport or travel to a specific country or a particular type of dance or playing a particular instrument, etc. An avid golfer might spend serious money on club dues, golf shoes, clubs, training from a golf pro, and traveling to attend golf events. I have played putt putt golf a number of times but that is about it. I do not follow golf tournaments on tv etc. Most of the world has a similar view toward domains. Yes they are necessary for a website but why spend more than $50 on a domain?

9. Deepak Bhandari

Deepak Bhandari Established Member

This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing..

10. Macit

Thanks a lot (y)

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

Thanks a lot for the interesting and attractive presentation of data. I am surprised by the registrar stats though. According to nTLD stats in new extensions alone Alibaba Cloud have 4.5 million registrations, and I presume a lot of .cn and some legacy, and yet they are not on the top 10 list? Also surprised that Namecheap not on it. They have almost 3.5 million in new extensions alone according to nTLDstats, and I thought I recalled they had well over a million com+neet, but maybe I am wrong.

Bob

12. Bob Hawkes

While celebrating the anniversary of Symbolics.com let's not overlook that the first domain name created and put into use, Nordu.net. There is some debate (some list it as Jan 1, 1985) re registration date, hence the recognition of Symbolics.com as the first. Hats off to our Scandinavian friends! https://gcn.com/Blogs/Tech-Trivia/2011/08/First-registered-domain-name.aspx

Of course even by the end of 1985 things were still pretty sparse domain wise, with 6 .com, 1 .net and 1 .org (see list here). What a time to be into hand reg! :xf.cool:

Bob

13. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI Owner of ▲ the most expensive domain of all time.

🚩

Nice infographic, its easy for the eyeee
    But not everything starts with a domain nameee
    Maybe @ DOFO ;)

BTWWW
    I own
    symbolics in the top versionnn

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  14. Ostrados

Ostrados Entrepreneur Gold Account Blue Account VIP

Awesome infographics.

I wish that I have a time machine to go back to before 1995 to register all domains I dream about for free.

15. Macit

Thanks, Bob. As you know, tracking domain name registrars is a little hard because companies are merging, names are changing, etc. :)

HiChina (Alibaba) is ranked #7 with more than 6 million domain names.
    Namecheap is ranked #2 with more than 11 million domain names.

You can see the top 200 registrars on Dofo's Registrars Page: https://dofo.com/registrars (y)

16. Bob Hawkes

Thanks. I did not realize HiChina was Alibaba. One thing learned already and not 7 am yet here!

Can I blame it on my failing senior eyes? :xf.eek: (really it's true!) And don't tell my Namecheap friends where I have almost 100 names registered that I can't even see their name on a list! :xf.sick:

Take care and thanks for the great product.

Bob

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  17. Macit

Yes, you can see the first domain names here: https://dofo.com/search/?extension=com,net,org&cdate_min=19850101&cdate_max=19880101&sort=cdate_a

Also, see the 100 Oldest Domain Names & Their Current Status article on Dofo Blog ;)

18. Macit

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice