Dynadot

discuss Epik vs. Epic and Happy New Year!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epik

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=domainer

Just like "domainer" isn't a real word, either is epikO_o However, they both are found in the Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary, thus they're not made up words imho.

Like I have with other key words, I've just started accumulating a portfolio titled; EpikNames.com like; EpikTravel.com, EpikVegas.com and EpikJobs.com

Rob Monster the CEO of Epik.com was the first industry leader I met when I accidentally found the domain industry and the secondary market that Verisign says is "hidden in plain sight".

It's been said, if you want a new idea read an old book, and you may want to think of me as the old book:xf.wink: I found this industry too late to be involved in "one word" domains, but two word domains have become my skill set that I've been told I'm pretty good at, and hopefully getting better.

Now getting back to Epik vs. Epic. As a business person, would you rather own the domain EpicTravel at 20K or EpikTravel at 2K? In my mind it's a No Brainer:xf.rolleyes:, but not so fast old time "domainers" might say? To put things in perspective, I just bought the domain EpikTravel.com from Epik.com for $8 and GD Values it at $1,343 while it Values EpicTravel at $6,455. And while those valuations sound way out of bounds, NameWorth values EpicTravel.com at $9,450 and EpikTravel.com at <less than $500. Furthermore, NameWorth values Epik.com at $64,000 and Epic.com at 10M, that's right ten million dollars:xf.rolleyes:

Finally, and maybe it's just me, but I like "Epik" better than "Epic"....maybe it's that EpikWeed:xf.confused: I've been smoking. What say you?....Happy New Year(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Offtopic but that's language specific. English is weird and words aren't spelled like how they sound. That's why there are such things as misspells.

My mother tongue spells words exactly how they sound and it's impossible to misspell words. That's why spelling bees don't exist here.

We also don't have x (ks), w (v usually) or y (j or i). So I completely understand this point.

That's just a little funfact but this is english so your points cannot be applied here.
Thanks I guess, but what points don't apply? I just said there are exceptions to every rule regardless of the rule?

•••
•••
Thanks I guess, but what points don't apply? I just said there are exceptions to every rule regardless of the rule?

I don't think we quite agree on what the radio test is. Radio test really has nothing to do with domains or radio.

Radio test was invented when the English language was invented. When someone says that some domain doesn't pass the radio test, they are not talking about some arbitrary rule concocted by domainers or business owners.

They are talking about the English language. They are saying that your domain is:

1) mispelled (unprofessional sometimes)
2) incoherent with a good chance of being misspelled and thus losing traffic to the correct spelling.

Yes, brandables are a thing, but they will never be good as exact killer names.

Lyfe.com will never be as good as life.com, gamez.com will never be as good as games.com etc.

While those are good brands on their own, placing them in two word domains strips them off all their value.

•••
I don't think we quite agree on what the radio test is. Radio test really has nothing to do with domains or radio.

Radio test was invented when the English language was invented. When someone says that some domain doesn't pass the radio test, they are not talking about some arbitrary rule concocted by domainers or business owners.

They are talking about the English language. They are saying that your domain is:

1) mispelled (unprofessional sometimes)
2) incoherent with a good chance of being misspelled and thus losing traffic to the correct spelling.

Yes, brandables are a thing, but they will never be good as exact killer names.

Lyfe.com will never be as good as life.com, gamez.com will never be as good as games.com etc.

While those are good brands on their own, placing them in two word domains strips them off all their value.
Thanks, now I understand. and I appreciate your hanging with me to explain(y)

•••
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/epic - note, Epic on the radio really sounds like Epik....OMG!

I've started dozens of businesses in my day, but the first major business I started was Credit Control Corp in 1973 long before the first internet domain was conceived.

So I got to thinking, if I were to start a new business today what would I name it...?
Sounds like you would probably name it Kredit Kontrol Korp. :)

•••
Sounds like you would probably name it Kredit Kontrol Korp. :)
I'm not quite as dumb as you think I am:xf.rolleyes:, but if you're trying to tag me a racist because of the KKK,
it won't work:xf.wink:

•••
I'm not quite as dumb as you think I am:xf.rolleyes:, but if you're trying to tag me a racist because of the KKK,
it won't work:xf.wink:
A racist?? No Rich. How does that have any bearing on your topic?

Your preference of Epik over Epic seems to be based on the C sounding like a K. Logic would dictate that any C that sounds like a K should actually be a K. So.... Kredit Kontrol Korp.

•••
A racist?? No Rich. How does that have any bearing on your topic?

Your preference of Epik over Epic seems to be based on the C sounding like a K. Logic would dictate that any C that sounds like a K should actually be a K. So.... Kredit Kontrol Korp.
At least for me I thought you were being facetious:xf.smile: so I thought I would return the favor:xf.wink:

•••
Generally a one word misspelled brandable works fine. 2+ words not so much.

I have a domain in .com (Kosmic). It is a good brand as a stand alone, it is even fine adding a word if you are an end user, but for re-sale that is another story.

Brad

•••
Generally a one word misspelled brandable works fine. 2+ words not so much.

I have a domain in .com (Kosmic). It is a good brand as a stand alone, it is even fine adding a word if you are an end user, but for re-sale that is another story.

Brad
Serioius question Brad and thanks....what if you're only selling to "end users"? For instance, I own EpikMortgage where EpicMortgage is available for resale at Uni for God knows how much? I believe I'm able to get to the owner(s) of Movement Mortgage (a bowel movement?), and they're one of the largest mortgage companies in the US. Keep in mind "if" you like and truly believe in what you're selling, the sale is a whole lot easier. Regardless, thanks for your input(y)

•••
Serioius question Brad and thanks....what if you're only selling to "end users"? For instance, I own EpikMortgage where EpicMortgage is available for resale at Uni for God knows how much? I believe I'm able to get to the owner(s) of Movement Mortgage (a bowel movement?), and they're one of the largest mortgage companies in the US. Keep in mind "if" you like and truly believe in what you're selling, the sale is a whole lot easier. Regardless, thanks for your input(y)

Well, if you can sell domains like this more power to you. I am just skeptical that is the case.
I don't really see the value proposition for a buyer.

You might be able to sell one here and there, but I am not sure how repeatable it is.

Regardless, if you are that good at sales, you would be better off with high quality domains to start with.
Ones that have obvious value and don't need a long pitch or explanation.

You also need a proof of concept. It is much easier to register domains than sell them.

Why not start pitching some of these brands and see how it goes?
Only then will you be able to tell how successful it is.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Well, if you can sell domains like this more power to you. I am just skeptical that is the case.
I don't really see the value proposition for a buyer.

You might be able to sell one here and there, but I am not sure how repeatable it is.

Regardless, if you are that good at sales, you would be better off with high quality domains to start with.
Ones that have obvious value and don't need a long pitch or explanation.

You also need a proof of concept. It is much easier to register domains than sell them.

Why not start pitching some of these brands and see how it goes?
Only then will you be able to tell how successful it is.

Brad
First, a couple of things about Epik. I've copied a few unsolicited comments where those familiar with Epic consider it a Great Brand, and being a marketing guy myself that's pretty powerful stuff. I don't know how long Epik has been in business, but I'm guessing Rob Monster might be an excellent reference if it were to help sell domains with the first word Epik. Keep in mind, I said Rob "might" be a good reference, but I don't want to assume anything.

Then I recommend you check out this post and thread started by rohitgoyal, https://www.namepros.com/threads/domaining-in-2019.1170486 that shows 85% of his domains being sold via "outbound" strategies.

Brad...your advice might work for you, but it won't work for me. Like a Basset Hound I showed, I needed to force feed Lord Mergatroid of Antwerp before each show to fatten him up. He hated being force fed, and I hated to do it. Does Mergy as I called him remind you of anyone? I hope so.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

•••
Then I recommend you check out this post and thread started by rohitgoyal, https://www.namepros.com/threads/domaining-in-2019.1170486 that shows 85% of his domains being sold via "outbound" strategies.
@rohitgoyal has had some great success with his outbound methods, but my understanding is that they require a significant time investment, as well as additional human resources that can be paid a low enough wage so as to not cut into profits too much.

Rohit's methods also requires vast amounts of domain names that have historically sold well in the <$1,000 range via traditional outbound methods (e.g. geo names and exact match product/service names, but usually not brandables).

Are you thinking of replicating these techniques in order to try selling some of your names, Rich? It would be tough to sell your Epik portfolio this way, but you never know.

•••
@rohitgoyal has had some great success with his outbound methods, but my understanding is that they require a significant time investment, as well as additional human resources that can be paid a low enough wage so as to not cut into profits too much.

Rohit's methods also requires vast amounts of domain names that have historically sold well in the <$1,000 range via traditional outbound methods (e.g. geo names and exact match product/service names, but usually not brandables).

Are you thinking of replicating these techniques in order to try selling some of your names, Rich? It would be tough to sell your Epik portfolio this way, but you never know.
I'm already talking with rohit Joe....are you trying to tell me you know more about outbound strategies, costs, budgets, personnel etc. than I know?....Seriously:xf.rolleyes:

•••
wow

@Ategy

are you paid by the hour at namepros?

you waste too much time here
same for me.....
Sorry you don't want to participate in the conversation frank, but for the benefit of others who wish to learn, here is the Urban Dictionaries definition of Epik with a "k".https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epik I've also learned that your friend Rob Monster is pretty awesome as well. He and don't always agree, but we do agree on one thing:xf.wink:

•••
I'm already talking with rohit Joe....are you trying to tell me you know more about outbound strategies, costs, budgets, personnel etc. than I know?....Seriously:xf.rolleyes:
Are you that insecure, Rich, that you can't enagage in a discussion you started without turning it into a pissing match?

•••

I completely agree with you. I have realised one thing that there is only one rule in domaining that there are no rules.. different model or strategy work for different individual and one has to find their own working model based upon their resources and comfort zone..

•••
Are you that insecure, Rich, that you can't enagage in a discussion you started without turning it into a pissing match?
I can assure you Joe...i'm way more secure than you'll ever be. Like I told your buddy Brad, I neither like or appreciate being force fed, and that's EXACTLY what you've been trying to do.

Joe, I own a domain SWOT101.com where the "S" stands for Strengths, the "W" stands for Weaknesses, the "O" for Opportunity and the "T" stands for Threats. SWOT is a strategic planning technique developed over 50 years ago about the time I graduated college and started my first business. It's similar to TQM (Total Quality Management) that's an even older business planning technique that I've subscribed to as well. Do you remember me saying, "if you want a good idea, read an old book"?

I wasn't born yesterday Joe and neither am I a psychologist, but I know what you and what some refer to as the "cabal" are up to. And don't tell me you don't know who the others are:xf.rolleyes:

Yes I'm talking with rohit from India because it appears he's open minded enough to discuss things like "outbound" strategies similar to those I've been talking about for the last two years. While I haven't gotten to know rohit personally YET, I already know we have a few things in common. For starters, he obviously believes in "outbound" as do I, he hand reg's domains of which he's accumulated 8,000, he owns mostly .coms (i converted to mostly .coms in the last year), and he drops about 90% of his names before they renew a second time.

While it's still too early to tell, rohit and I might make a good fit as long as we realize each others strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Keeping "on topic" with this thread, I purchased within the last 24 hours Epikeast.com, initially because I thought it might be appealing to Epik that's located in the Greater Northwest of the US, and then I thought rohit might find it interesting because of his location, India (the East). And to clarify, i didn't buy the domain to sell to either of them. Rohit, if you're reading this there is a site for your country IncredibleIndia.com that triggered a couple of domains I own like IncredibleFlorida and IncredibleRome. I don't know if I still own them, but I should, and this gives you some idea of my domain thinking:xf.smile:

That's it for now Joe...now like Frank told Ategy in this thread, it's probably time for you to take a break from what you refer to as the "pissing contest":xf.frown:

•••
I purchased within the last 24 hours Epikeast.com, initially because I thought it might be appealing to Epik that's located in the Greater Northwest of the US, and then I thought rohit might find it interesting because of his location, India (the East).

And to clarify, i didn't buy the domain to sell to either of them.

What? You bought EpikEast.com because you thought it might be appealing to Epik but then you didn't buy the name to sell to them? Those statements seem to contradict each other, unless I'm reading it wrong. Or you bought it to give it to them? Then you could have just mentioned it to them and let them buy it themselves if they wanted it.

•••
I completely agree with you. I have realised one thing that there is only one rule in domaining that there are no rules.. different model or strategy work for different individual and one has to find their own working model based upon their resources and comfort zone..
Rohit...i agree totally with your response here to Joe, but check out my response back to him regarding the so called "pissing contest". Like I said, I wasn't born yesterday and I don't like or appreciate being force fed by others, PERIOD! If you don't know by now, your business model/plan goes against the grain. I trust and believe in what you're doing, especially with regards to "outbound" sales and I hope you understand where I'm coming from. There's a serious chink in the domain armor, and what I mean by that is that traditional domaining has some serious problems imho.

You may have noticed from the thread you started "so called professional domainers" questioning your every move. There's a reason for that rohit....and I'll explain to you later.

Like you clearly stated, "different model or strategy work for different individuals, and one has to find their own working model based upon their resources and comfort zone" Well said Rohit!

•••
It is very simple

Epik is a great domain, small variances can be perfect brandables.

EpikAnything else is a terrible idea because now you have a misspell/modification with a second word.

I like misspells and I like brandables, just not as two word combinations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing to consider is that a misspell can be trademarked, similar to Realtor.com, so technically any second word you add is trademark infringement because the name is made up and owned by the original user. Fortunately this is not the case with Epik so one can easily combine it with a second word but you're taking a risk on EpikNames.com because that can be a trademark infringement with Epik the registrar.

Any Godaddy appraisal that's under $2000 is pretty much meaningless as far as an indication of worth/value or realistic price someone might be willing to pay.

Examples of names I just invented randomly that are available to handreg with their appraisals:

Zambobo.com $1107
Zwavo.com $1105
Rambono.com $1230

That doesn't mean that good names can't be appraised under $2000, it just means that Godaddy's default is to give almost any domain at least a $1000+ valuation in order to justify its worth to potential end users.

Thanks SuperBrander...i actually liked your random pick; Rambono.com that appraises for $1,230. Actuially GD shows "Rambo" as being a keyword that's valued at $8,131. I don't know about a possible TM issue with the name Rambo, but I know it has to be very popular. That said, if I were to buy it, or something like Ramboxxxxx, it should be worth GD's appraisal of $1,230. Actually RamboBrands is avaiable to buy, and I may just buy it. It appraises for $1,205 at GD. Thanks for the idea SuperBrander(y) Happy New Year!

•••
What? You bought EpikEast.com because you thought it might be appealing to Epik but then you didn't buy the name to sell to them? Those statements seem to contradict each other, unless I'm reading it wrong. Or you bought it to give it to them? Then you could have just mentioned it to them and let them buy it themselves if they wanted it.

It comes down to the fact that if I own the .com I don't need anything else.

Epik.com - if they want east they go east.epik.com or epik.com/east

If I relate it to any of my companies, I could care less what words people add and register as long as I have my .com and my ccTLD equivalent.

So all that will happen is money will be wasted on domains that will never sell. The more junior members will keep repeating that scenario until the lesson is learned.

EpicEast probably has value

EpikEast is worthless to anyone except a company called Epik and chances of a sale there are remote at best.

•••
I can assure you Joe...i'm way more secure than you'll ever be. Like I told your buddy Brad, I neither like or appreciate being force fed, and that's EXACTLY what you've been trying to do.

Joe, I own a domain SWOT101.com where the "S" stands for Strengths, the "W" stands for Weaknesses, the "O" for Opportunity and the "T" stands for Threats. SWOT is a strategic planning technique developed over 50 years ago about the time I graduated college and started my first business. It's similar to TQM (Total Quality Management) that's an even older business planning technique that I've subscribed to as well. Do you remember me saying, "if you want a good idea, read an old book"?

I wasn't born yesterday Joe and neither am I a psychologist, but I know what you and what some refer to as the "cabal" are up to. And don't tell me you don't know who the others are:xf.rolleyes:

Yes I'm talking with rohit from India because it appears he's open minded enough to discuss things like "outbound" strategies similar to those I've been talking about for the last two years. While I haven't gotten to know rohit personally YET, I already know we have a few things in common. For starters, he obviously believes in "outbound" as do I, he hand reg's domains of which he's accumulated 8,000, he owns mostly .coms (i converted to mostly .coms in the last year), and he drops about 90% of his names before they renew a second time.

While it's still too early to tell, rohit and I might make a good fit as long as we realize each others strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Keeping "on topic" with this thread, I purchased within the last 24 hours Epikeast.com, initially because I thought it might be appealing to Epik that's located in the Greater Northwest of the US, and then I thought rohit might find it interesting because of his location, India (the East). And to clarify, i didn't buy the domain to sell to either of them. Rohit, if you're reading this there is a site for your country IncredibleIndia.com that triggered a couple of domains I own like IncredibleFlorida and IncredibleRome. I don't know if I still own them, but I should, and this gives you some idea of my domain thinking:xf.smile:

That's it for now Joe...now like Frank told Ategy in this thread, it's probably time for you to take a break from what you refer to as the "pissing contest":xf.frown:
It seems to me you're too sensitive about people expressing opinions that differ from you're own. Anyone who posts topics here should be prepared to have their views challenged and to accept it with grace and respect.

I've used the exact same techniques to sell domain names as Rohit, but on a much smaller scale. I've shared these experiences with you in other threads. I'd even be happy to give you tips to help you get started with your own outbound selling.

Rohit is a great person for you to be talking to, though. He certainly has more experience than most with outbound sales, and you're wise to value his opinion and respect his techniques. You should check out his detailed post on outbound strategies here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/outbound-process-for-beginners.1101291/

@rohitgoyal - A couple questions for you:
  1. Do you believe the portfolio of "Epik + word" domains registered by @ThatNameGuy are good candidates to try selling via outbound techniques?
  2. Based on your experience, do you believe that, in general, @ThatNameGuy is buying the right kinds of names to sell via outbound marketing?

Last edited:
•••
It seems to me you're too sensitive about people expressing opinions that differ from you're own. Anyone who posts topics here should be prepared to have their views challenged and to accept it with grace and respect.

I've used the exact same techniques to sell domain names as Rohit, but on a much smaller scale. I've shared these experiences with you in other threads. I'd even be happy to give you tips to help you get started with your own outbound selling.

Rohit is a great person for you to be talking to, though. He certainly has more experience than most with outbound sales, and you're wise to value his opinion and respect his techniques. You should check out his detailed post on outbound strategies here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/outbound-process-for-beginners.1101291/

@rohitgoyal - A couple questions for you:
  1. Do you believe the portfolio of "Epik + word" domains registered by @ThatNameGuy are good candidates to try selling via outbound techniques?
  2. Based on your experience, do you believe that, in general, @ThatNameGuy is buying the right kinds of names to sell via outbound marketing?

Answer to both your question is "NO".

However I follow one strategy and I never said that it's the only working strategy. I am no expert so can't comment or claim that what may work or not.

Lastly I would request both of you to kindly keep me out of the discussion as unnecessary both of you are tagging me whereas I have no role in the same.

•••

Joe, you seem to really like the Rich guy
do you hope, he has an undiscovered in his agenda?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back