IT.COM

discuss Epik vs. Epic and Happy New Year!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epik

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=domainer

Just like "domainer" isn't a real word, either is epikO_o However, they both are found in the Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary, thus they're not made up words imho.

Like I have with other key words, I've just started accumulating a portfolio titled; EpikNames.com like; EpikTravel.com, EpikVegas.com and EpikJobs.com

Rob Monster the CEO of Epik.com was the first industry leader I met when I accidentally found the domain industry and the secondary market that Verisign says is "hidden in plain sight".

It's been said, if you want a new idea read an old book, and you may want to think of me as the old book:xf.wink: I found this industry too late to be involved in "one word" domains, but two word domains have become my skill set that I've been told I'm pretty good at, and hopefully getting better.

Now getting back to Epik vs. Epic. As a business person, would you rather own the domain EpicTravel at 20K or EpikTravel at 2K? In my mind it's a No Brainer:xf.rolleyes:, but not so fast old time "domainers" might say? To put things in perspective, I just bought the domain EpikTravel.com from Epik.com for $8 and GD Values it at $1,343 while it Values EpicTravel at $6,455. And while those valuations sound way out of bounds, NameWorth values EpicTravel.com at $9,450 and EpikTravel.com at <less than $500. Furthermore, NameWorth values Epik.com at $64,000 and Epic.com at 10M, that's right ten million dollars:xf.rolleyes:

Finally, and maybe it's just me, but I like "Epik" better than "Epic"....maybe it's that EpikWeed:xf.confused: I've been smoking. What say you?....Happy New Year(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why Rob owns it of course. Just for the record, most "end users" not familiar with the domain industry relate to "Brands" and "Names" before they relate to "Domains" Who do you sell your domains/names to? btw, are we conversing on NamePros™ or DomainPros™ Inquiring minds would love to know:xf.rolleyes:

I get your point but if I was naming a Domaining forum I would use DomainPros instead of NamePros.
We are selling and talking about domains and we are not a site talking about baby names.

NamePros - needs a tagline to identify what it does.

DomainPros - Needs nothing, it says all it needs to in the name.

Name pros - is nice

Domain Pros - is the cats meow

•••
•••
chuck chuck bo buck banana fana fo .....

•••
First of all .. because I know you're going to do like you always do and accuse me of "stalking" you .. let me just quote something I wrote months ago that specifically shows I already thought what you're currently doing is ridiculous and very bad domaining strategy (what a surprise for the 20th time).

That being said .. not sure if I was clear, but I like Epik as a brand .. as I mentioned above, I don't mind single words with alternate spellings .. what I don't like is two-word brands where one is altered (unless it's a very fun creative play on words).
So Epik = good
But Epik Search = not so much .. Epic Search would be ok

So now that that is out of the way .. again because of your consistent rude and obnoxious behaviour to myself, others and the entire domain community in general, I won't hold back simply state the fact that yet again you're very colossally wrong here. Not just because the domains you've mentioned here are horrible brands .. but also because there are serious legal issues as well.

If I were to start a bank tomorrow, chances are I'd name it EpikBank over EpicBank...
LOL LOL LMAO LOL LMAOROTF LOL ...
You really do hate us and want to kill us by making us laugh to death right? *lmao x infinity*

You have an EPIC (and EPIK) failure to grasp even the very basics of branding and marketing. What you wrote is probably the most ignorant, false, incorrect, {insert EVERY word not allowed on NamePros here} statement ever made on NamePros. And I'll go into detail to show why that's a fact and not just opinion ...

Just like "domainer" isn't a real word, either is epikO_o However, they both are found in the Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary, thus they're not made up words imho.
Just because a word is not in a dictionary doesn't mean it's not a word. "Domainer" most certainly is used by a significant number of people. Plus if you're going to check a dictionary to see if a word is in it, then maybe check the definition for "word" itself, which does not include the fact it needs to be in a dictionary:

Word: A single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.

On the other hand, "Epik" is a deliberate misspell of the word "Epic". As a *word* it had no meaning beyond the word it's a deliberate misspelling of. Whereas "domainer" does have a distinct meaning not found in any other word.

but two word domains have become my skill set that I've been told I'm pretty good at

Who told you that? lol .. Yes .. even I admit and have said several times that SOME of your domains are not garbage (yumnames is fine). But again, for the most part what you do is "fantasy business development" and NOT domaining (although admittedly it is here .. even if it's horribly bad domaining).

Now getting back to Epik vs. Epic. As a business person, would you rather own the domain EpicTravel at 20K or EpikTravel at 2K? In my mind it's a No Brainer:xf.rolleyes:, but not so fast old time "domainers" might say?

Of course it's a no brainer .. but not in the way you've got it! EpicTravel.com is a very good domain .. while EpikTravel is a useless garbage domain from an domain investor's point of view.

IMPORTANT KEY POINT YOU SEEM OBLIVIOUS TO: Your very perspective is flawed from the start if you think the competition and comparison for "EpikTravel" is just "EpicTravel". Because the actual alternatives to EpikTravel are the hundreds or even thousands of {AnyRealWord}Travel brands out there. Most of those domains available in the $1,000 to $10,000 range and each a significantly better brand than EpikTravel, thus making EpikTravel effectively worthless (as an investor) as there are too many competing better alternatives in the price points you need to be in in order to maintain a profitable portfolio.

Is EpikTravel "usable"? Yes .. even I will say it is .. it isn't a tragedy if someone uses it. It's clearly a very poor brand, and if someone bought it as an end user at $15 I'd tell them to invest more or search longer. But often that's not possible, and in that case EpikTravel is indeed "usable".

However .. to be very clear, it's still a very bad investment as a domainer because in order for you maintain a break-even portfolio, you need to sell 1% of your portfolio at 100x markups or some equivalent like 2% at 50x or 0.5% at 200x. (Those numbers are for handreg's). There is absolutely no way EpikTravel is anything close to being of a high enough quality to make those numbers unless you're doing heavy outbound, in which case you couldn't even use those numbers because you'd need to factor in the significant cost of time, making profit an even bigger mathematical challenge depending on how much you value your time.

To put things in perspective, I just bought the domain EpikTravel.com from Epik.com for $8 and GD Values it at $1,343 while it Values EpicTravel at $6,455. And while those valuations sound way out of bounds, NameWorth values EpicTravel.com at $9,450 and EpikTravel.com at <less than $500. Furthermore, NameWorth values Epik.com at $64,000 and Epic.com at 10M, that's right ten million dollars:xf.rolleyes:
Your continual references to automated valuation tools to try to justify your points just continues to prove how completely clueless you are about the true investment value of domains. Automated valuations aren't that bad for the single words and a few other sub-set of domains, but they are virtually completely irrelevant for most 2 word brandables. To be clear $10M for Epic is a bit high, but it's not ridiculous; and $64k for Epik is also a bit high, but also not ridiculous.

It's important to note that because of the brand equity @Rob Monster has built into "Epik", the *brand* currently is worth significantly more within it's current industry .. but that's a result of the time, effort, resources, development and marketing Rob has invested into the brand. Meaning that the Epik "brand" (and domain) could actually be worth $640k to a domain related company, but it wouldn't even be worth $64k to food or transportation related start-ups for example.

Thanks for your reply, but is it 10X better or 20K better?
YES! Any Epic{word} brand is actually going to be worth vastly more than 10x Epik{word} .. probably more in the range of 50x to 200x.

Epic is better because it passes the radio test. It's the default spelling. You have to specify the "k" every time in spoken form.
Exactly .. you'd think this should be obvious to anyone. The only thing I disagree with this statement is that you didn't put "vastly better" instead of just "better"! lol

How about Citi Bank or Commercia Bank or my hometown bank, Towne Bank? Were they "terrible" ideas too?
Of course these are horrible brands. That being said, there are many ways in which companies can overcome bad branding. Namely a significant marketing budget or smart viral tactics. Then there are even cases where a brand doesn't even matter; most corner stores are a good example of that, although that's changing a bit with the advent of online ordering for deliveries. Also when there is a product that fills a significant market need, then people will go to it despite the brand.

That's why we all cringe each and every time you constantly vainly brag and boast about all the businesses you apparently named 40 years ago. Branding pre and post Internet world are two VERY different things. More importantly, branding your friends businesses is NOT AT ALL the same thing as building a profitable domain portfolio. Coming up with names for businesses is much much easier than being a long-term profitable domainer.

Are you only purchasing EpikTravel.com, based on the efforts of Epik.com? Now for a company to brand as EpikTravel.com, they would realize they would lose a lot of business to EpicTravel.com, and would need to own both in order to gain traction, and if they didn't they were going to be spending their marketing dollars elsewhere.
It's not just fighting a huge uphill battle to be distinctive from the "Epic" version. But beyond that, if Epic{word} actually does exist as a company, then for every such domain someone registered with Epik{word}, they are also infringing on their trademark as EpikSomething is very certainly and clearly "confusingly similar" to EpicSomething. They would and indeed should lose the UDRP or other legal actions taken against them every time in the case where the second word is industry defining like Travel or Mortgages (if those "epic" companies already exist).

I'm aware of that @MapleDots...EpikNames is Robs if he wants it. I guess since I reg'd it at Epik he could probably take it and hold me hostage:xf.frown:
For someone who seems to keen to trademark everything, as well as improperly and overly use the "TM" symbol, you ironically don't have much clue of how trademarks actually work. @Rob Monster actually isn't allowed to hold any of your domains hostage. Not only that, but he has enough integrity to not just illegally take it like that! If one of your domains infringes on a trademark, then the trademark owner would file a UDRP or other form of legal action against you, and in turn @epik would be given a legal mandate to freeze your domain and then turn it over to the trademark holder in the likely case you lose the legal action.

And forget any legal and trademark issues .. the fact you registered EpikNames at Epik simply shows an outright complete lack of class. Maybe you did it without realising what you did, but that just goes to prove how brash and how little thought and analysis you put into your domain acquisitions.

Even worse is your twisted usage of the word hostage and trying to pin it on Rob .. when in fact IT IS YOU who has taken HIS trademark hostage!

lol .. I Actually have a ton of Name, Domain, Brand domains, but I actually chose NameCult specifically because I didn't want to be the cats meow. I only started it because my daily lists were getting too long to fit here at NamePros. But as strange as it sounds, the name I chose wasn't too important because the people who visit come because (like I mentioned above) I have a product that filled a market void in being a mostly manually curated list of about 400-500 domains at auction every day and 1000+ at closeout. As much as I'd love for the non-domainer world to use my daily lists, it's safe to say that not only are they not my audience, but that if indeed I was targeting end-users, it would actually hurt the industry if they started buying expired domains at wholesale instead of buying our retail priced domains.

I have to admit I wasn't even a huge fan of the name at the start, as I have significantly better domains in the domain niche. I'll be the first to say it's not a great name, but it doesn't matter.

That being said, it has kinda grown on me .. and I do enjoy the irony that both cults and domains are similar in that they can be mesmerising and addictive! lol

That being said, I am thinking about some potential changes!

Last edited:
•••
First of all .. because I know you're going to do like you always do and accuse me of "stalking" you .. let me just quote something I wrote months ago that specifically shows I already thought what you're currently doing is ridiculous and very bad domaining strategy (what a surprise for the 20th time).

So now that that is out of the way .. again because of your consistent rude and obnoxious behaviour to myself, others and the entire domain community in general, I won't hold back simply state the fact that yet again you're very colossally wrong here. Not just because the domains you've mentioned here are horrible brands .. but also because there are serious legal issues as well.

LOL LOL LMAO LOL LMAOROTF LOL ...
You really do hate us and want to kill us by making us laugh to death right? *lmao x infinity*

You have an EPIC (and EPIK) failure to grasp even the very basics of branding and marketing. What you wrote is probably the most ignorant, false, incorrect, {insert EVERY word not allowed on NamePros here} statement ever made on NamePros. And I'll go into detail to show why that's a fact and not just opinion ...

Just because a word is not in a dictionary doesn't mean it's not a word. "Domainer" most certainly is used by a significant number of people. Plus if you're going to check a dictionary to see if a word is in it, then maybe check the definition for "word" itself, which does not include the fact it needs to be in a dictionary:

Word: A single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.

On the other hand, "Epik" is a deliberate misspell of the word "Epic". As a *word* it had no meaning beyond the word it's a deliberate misspelling of. Whereas "domainer" does have a distinct meaning not found in any other word.

Who told you that? lol .. Yes .. even I admit and have said several times that SOME of your domains are not garbage (yumnames is fine). But again, for the most part what you do is "fantasy business development" and NOT domaining (although admittedly it is here .. even if it's horribly bad domaining).

Of course it's a no brainer .. but not in the way you've got it! EpicTravel.com is a very good domain .. while EpikTravel is a useless garbage domain from an domain investor's point of view.

IMPORTANT KEY POINT YOU SEEM OBLIVIOUS TO: Your very perspective is flawed from the start if you think the competition and comparison for "EpikTravel" is just "EpicTravel". Because the actual alternatives to EpikTravel are the hundreds or even thousands of {AnyRealWord}Travel brands out there. Most of those domains available in the $1,000 to $10,000 range and each a significantly better brand than EpikTravel, thus making EpikTravel effectively worthless (as an investor) as there are too many competing better alternatives in the price points you need to be in in order to maintain a profitable portfolio.

Is EpikTravel "usable"? Yes .. even I will say it is .. it isn't a tragedy if someone uses it. It's clearly a very poor brand, and if someone bought it as an end user at $15 I'd tell them to invest more or search longer. But often that's not possible, and in that case EpikTravel is indeed "usable".

However .. to be very clear, it's still a very bad investment as a domainer because in order for you maintain a break-even portfolio, you need to sell 1% of your portfolio at 100x markups or some equivalent like 2% at 50x or 0.5% at 200x. (Those numbers are for handreg's). There is absolutely no way EpikTravel is anything close to being of a high enough quality to make those numbers unless you're doing heavy outbound, in which case you couldn't even use those numbers because you'd need to factor in the significant cost of time, making profit an even bigger mathematical challenge depending on how much you value your time.

Your continual references to automated valuation tools to try to justify your points just continues to prove how completely clueless you are about the true investment value of domains. Automated valuations aren't that bad for the single words and a few other sub-set of domains, but they are virtually completely irrelevant for most 2 word brandables. To be clear $10M for Epic is a bit high, but it's not ridiculous; and $64k for Epik is also a bit high, but also not ridiculous.

It's important to note that because of the brand equity @Rob Monster has built into "Epik", the *brand* currently is worth significantly more within it's current industry .. but that's a result of the time, effort, resources, development and marketing Rob has invested into the brand. Meaning that the Epik "brand" (and domain) could actually be worth $640k to a domain related company, but it wouldn't even be worth $64k to food or transportation related start-ups for example.

YES! Any Epic{word} brand is actually going to be worth vastly more than 10x Epik{word} .. probably more in the range of 50x to 200x.

Exactly .. you'd think this should be obvious to anyone. The only thing I disagree with this statement is that you didn't put "vastly better" instead of just "better"! lol

Of course these are horrible brands. That being said, there are many ways in which companies can overcome bad branding. Namely a significant marketing budget or smart viral tactics. Then there are even cases where a brand doesn't even matter; most corner stores are a good example of that, although that's changing a bit with the advent of online ordering for deliveries. Also when there is a product that fills a significant market need, then people will go to it despite the brand.

That's why we all cringe each and every time you constantly vainly brag and boast about all the businesses you apparently named 40 years ago. Branding pre and post Internet world are two VERY different things. More importantly, branding your friends businesses is NOT AT ALL the same thing as building a profitable domain portfolio. Coming up with names for businesses is much much easier than being a long-term profitable domainer.

It's not just fighting a huge uphill battle to be distinctive from the "Epic" version. But beyond that, if Epic{word} actually does exist as a company, then for every such domain someone registered with Epik{word}, they are also infringing on their trademark as EpikSomething is very certainly and clearly "confusingly similar" to EpicSomething. They would and indeed should lose the UDRP or other legal actions taken against them every time in the case where the second word is industry defining like Travel or Mortgages (if those "epic" companies already exist).

For someone who seems to keen to trademark everything, as well as improperly and overly use the "TM" symbol, you ironically don't have much clue of how trademarks actually work. @Rob Monster actually isn't allowed to hold any of your domains hostage. Not only that, but he has enough integrity to not just illegally take it like that! If one of your domains infringes on a trademark, then the trademark owner would file a UDRP or other form of legal action against you, and in turn @epik would be given a legal mandate to freeze your domain and then turn it over to the trademark holder in the likely case you lose the legal action.

And forget any legal and trademark issues .. the fact you registered EpikNames at Epik simply shows an outright complete lack of class. Maybe you did it without realising what you did, but that just goes to prove how brash and how little thought and analysis you put into your domain acquisitions.

Even worse is your twisted usage of the word hostage and trying to pin it on Rob .. when in fact IT IS YOU who has taken HIS trademark hostage!

lol .. I Actually have a ton of Name, Domain, Brand domains, but I actually chose NameCult specifically because I didn't want to be the cats meow. I only started it because my daily lists were getting too long to fit here at NamePros. But as strange as it sounds, the name I chose wasn't too important because the people who visit come because (like I mentioned above) I have a product that filled a market void in being a mostly manually curated list of about 400-500 domains at auction every day and 1000+ at closeout. As much as I'd love for the non-domainer world to use my daily lists, it's safe to say that not only are they not my audience, but that if indeed I was targeting end-users, it would actually hurt the industry if they started buying expired domains at wholesale instead of buying our retail priced domains.

I have to admit I wasn't even a huge fan of the name at the start, as I have significantly better domains in the domain niche. I'll be the first to say it's not a great name, but it doesn't matter.

That being said, it has kinda grown on me .. and I do enjoy the irony that both cults and domains are similar in that they can be mesmerising and addictive! lol

That being said, I am thinking about some potential changes!

Happy New Year to you too Ategy:xf.wink: I actually took more than a few minutes to read your entire post that brings two very close words to mind;

Diatribe and Diarrhea...btw, I'm drop dead serious about these two words coming to mind, and these are the same two words that would come to mind regardless of who wrote it.

Much to your chagrin I'm not going anywhere, but I will leave you with a few of the domains I recently hand reg'd for my newest portfolio... YumNames.com;

Yum21.com
YumCasual.com
YumHomes.com

Seriously, you do bring out the best in me:xf.smile:. I know I don't fit "your" mold of the perfect domainer, but I try:xf.grin:

•••
Good point, you are on your game today (y)

In the same theme....
I write at NamePros
I also write, not as often as I should, at NameTalent
My own domain website is NamesThat.win
One of the registrars I use is NameSilo
And another is Namecheap
I use NameStat quite a lot for statistics
I attended the industry biggest conference NamesCon in 2019
Bob

(Yes, I know I could list contrary like my Twitter is AGreatDomain, I use DomainIQ, DomainTools, etc.). For domainers I think the case can be made domain is better, for general public I agree with @thatNameGuy that Name or Brand is preferred (or plurals).
Bob...thanks again for your input and your "voice of reason". Maybe you can help to negotiate peace talks between namers and domainers:xf.smile:

On another note...from the domain NamePros.com came the idea for YumPros.com. First, I would appreciate your thoughts for the name YumPros, and then your thoughts on whether I should be known more as an ideator or a domainer? I've been told by a professional domainer here on NamePros that I'm really bad for the domain industry. I'm curious, do you see it that way, or do you see a huge disconnect between how I view this industry and the way domainers view it?

Bob Hawkes, thanks for being you, and I hope you and your family have a healthy, loving and peaceful New Year!

•••
First, I would appreciate your thoughts for the name YumPros
I am not very keen on the name because to me it is sort of a mismatch in tone, Yum being playful and informal and Pros implying more serious professional. Sometimes mismatches work, and the name might work for candy or bake shop, but for me not so much. This is just my personal opinion, I could be wrong.

Re your other question to me, and in spirit of Jan 1, my advice would be that we all should follow NamePros excellent guidance for professional interactions. That includes the following.
We suggest that members read each post unemotionally to determine if there is any valuable element or merit to them, and then integrate those parts into a respectful response that balances both opinions.
That is a high standard, I know, but I think we should all strive to achieve it.

Ultimately I would flip the question back to you. Each post and thread ask yourself is this contribution helping others to better understand name uses and opportunities, or how to invest in, promote or sell domain names. There should be a place for different approaches and views if offered in a positive manner.

I have found the Epik vs Epic, Name vs Domain discussion in this thread worthwhile.

Happy New Year.

Bob

•••
@Ategy try not to get too worked up. This thread is a fantasy, just like his others.

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. Think of this thread just as a kid dressed up as Superman on Halloween. That kid’ll never be a super hero, but he wants to strut around for a day and wear a cape, and impress his neighbors. His neighbors throw a little candy in his bag and wish him well.

That’s pretty much how I see it. I’ll bet Rob isn’t even upset. He’s a lemonade factory. Watch out for Epik brand capes next Halloween.

Last edited:
•••
@Ategy try not to get too worked up. This thread is a fantasy, just like his others.

The problem is that most of the damaging and hateful things he's said has unfortunately been deleted. For about 2 years now he's been rude to not just myself and a handful of other specific members, but also to the NP and domaining community as a whole. I have no idea why he even attacked me. When he first started out in his first week at NamePros he reached out to me and I took a significant amount of my personal time to message him privately to offer help/advice. Then sometime in the year after that he launched into me accusing me of being part of some conspiracy group stalking him!? (I still don't know where that came from as especially until then all my posts had been very factual, data/logic based and clinical as most of my post typically are).

I have actually previously asked NamePros to NOT delete his slanderous, antagonistic and obnoxiously rude posts so that specifically his true nature would not be hidden to others. But for some reason NamePros continues to delete his stuff, ban him, and then allow him to return? So you need to keep in mind he's has countless posts where he's been extremely rude and slanderous to fellow members of this community that you haven't seen because they have been deleted or exist only as private messages.

In November he started a couple of private messages and included dozens industry and NamePros leaders in those private group messages in an attempt to slander me and literally call me "one of the biggest A holes I've run across in my life" (which is ironically actually a compliment coming from him .. lol). The irony is that if you go back to all my posts that crossed his, I've always used logic, math, facts and data to make my arguments .. it was never anything close to being personal for me, like with everyone else at NamePros, I was simply offering my opinions and advice (heavily supported by logic/facts/data) .. then instead of admitting his concepts have been logically disproven, or even simply try to defend his ideas by using logic/data/facts of his own .. he then chooses to throw insults and false accusations at me and others in the community and then even go so far as to say he doesn't even read my posts (yet somehow also claims I'm wrong and am being slanderous .. lol .. ironically actually making him the only one actually being slanderous)

So while it might feel that @ThatNameGuy frustrates me for very superficial and benign reasons, and his nonsense, false accusations, rude behaviour and general shenanigans generally do more and more (particularly since his group private message attacks in November).. but what really bothers me is his constantly posting his fantasy business concepts in ways that gives the impression it's domaining .. and then reinforcing his supposed authority by constantly reminding the community that he has named dozens of businesses 40 years ago (wrongfully thinking that coming up with usable business names automatically makes your concepts good domaining strategy .. which to be clear is NOT the case)

Then not only does he post things that should not be in "domain/domaining" related forums, and not only does he continue to insult people .. but then he repeatedly uses these discussions to "subtly" promotes his domains and even worse .. to look for suckers partners to either invest time or money into helping him develop his concepts. In effect what he does is grab dozens or even hundreds of otherwise worthless hand-registrations, presents a grandiose fantasy business concept where he paint a portrait of making tons of money, then leaves bait indirectly fishing for investors, or even worse, developers who he tries to get to essentially do all the actual work.

That is the specific reason why I continuously stand against his non-domainer concepts (or in this case bad domainer concepts) in an attempt to defend this community and particularly newcomers from his dangerous and misrepresentative ideas. Ironically if he simply presented then honestly as theoretical and fantasy business concepts IN AN APPROPRIATE VENUE, then I'd actually have zero issues with his posts (whether or not they are good or bad business concepts). If his intentions were clear and presented appropriately in a proper venue then I'd likely still think most of them were bad business ideas, but it wouldn't bother me because it wouldn't be dangerously misleading to newcomers in the DOMAINING industry when reading his usual nonsense in DOMAIN related forums!

Ultimately I would flip the question back to you. Each post and thread ask yourself is this contribution helping others to better understand name uses and opportunities, or how to invest in, promote or sell domain names. There should be a place for different approaches and views if offered in a positive manner.

While I'll be the first to state (because I like facts to be clear), that in this particular thread, @ThatNameGuy thankfully seems to be focused on the specific "Epik" domain names, but as stated multiple times, my biggest issue with him is that his posts are not about domain names .. they are about fantasy business development concepts to which he's acquired the relevant (but otherwise worthless/useless) domains.

So unlike most of his posts .. at the start I didn't really have an issue with the existence of this thread .. although I obviously strongly disagree with the merit of the actual domains in question (two-word "epik" domains). That is UNTIL like clockwork he started dropping some of his other non-related domains he's trying to push (his Yum domains).

What's 100x worse and annoying is that like usual, he adds unrelated domains but tried to justify it with empty statements like ..
"Much to your chagrin I'm not going anywhere, but I will leave you with a few of the domains I recently hand reg'd for my newest portfolio..."
or often it's more in the tone of: here are some other names I registered that you probably can't see the value in
Again, I want to be clear that I'm paraphrasing the later one because I can't be bothered to search likely deleted posts, but he's always cross-promoting his other domains and business concepts, and usually in a condescending way. All of which I can take with a grain of salt .. but what makes me cringe is that he almost always does this without even saying a word of how it related to the current discussion. Like WHY did he mention his Yum domains? If he had used them in a way to show some parallel logic to back up his Epik domains, then maybe I could stomach it .. but he very clearly did not!

Last edited:
•••
Happy New Year to you too Ategy:xf.wink: I actually took more than a few minutes to read your entire post that brings two very close words to mind;
Thank you for finally starting to respect this community (at least on that front). Your continued childish responses of claiming you never read past the first sentence of my posts pointed to a deliberate ignorance. It's not even that I'm necessarily always right .. but it's pathetically infantile behaviour to have continuously argued against me and claim I'm wrong or that I'm spilling "diarrhoea" when you constantly claim to never even read my posts! Maybe 2020's is when you'll finally start acting like an adult! ;)

Much to your chagrin I'm not going anywhere, but I will leave you with a few of the domains I recently hand reg'd for my newest portfolio... YumN****.com;
Yum*1.com
Yum******l.com
Yum****s.com

Why ??? Is the only reason you yourself constantly post blatantly wrong and dangerously misinformative so-called-domaining concepts only to constantly try to cross-promote your domains and as you have on many other occasions, to then later hint that people should partner with you to presumably help you get out of this horrible mess of a domain portfolio you've built up.

You are aware that there are specific areas of @NamePros where you can ask for opinions of your domains and even areas to ask for people to invest in your domains or to do your outbound work for you!

I still don't get why you keep buying outbound "concept" domains, and constantly claim to have decades of experience of being such an amazing salesman .. yet never actually do any outbound, and each time you're asked why not you say it's because the domaining industry is broken or has something wrong with it that needs to be fixed! Sure it's not perfect .. but it is the way it is .. and NOTHING is stopping you from picking up the phone and outbounding to potential clients! Heck you might should even make a sale or two if you're such a good salesman as you claim to be! While most of your domains are worthless on their own, you could get some people to buy in to your business concepts. Again .. that is NOT domaining, and such discussion do NOT belong in the domain related sections of NamePros .. but at least you might make some $$$.

I've been told by a professional domainer here on NamePros that I'm really bad for the domain industry.
Aside from being incredibly hateful, disrespectful and rude, you are AMAZING for the domain industry. Look at all the money you're donating to registrars and registries on "concept" domains that you never do anything with and domains that have extremely insignificant chances of selling via inbound that you never actually do any outbound on.

Where you are very dangerous to fellow domainers, is by constantly saying how amazing you are at branding and continuously trying to justify that fact by saying you've named dozens of businesses 40 years ago .. MISTAKENLY thinking that makes you a good domain investor. When in fact as I demonstrated above, any monkey can name a business .. but even a lot of intelligent people fail at domaining .. because while they are somewhat related, domaining profitably is a serious challenge that most unfortunately do not succeed at.

For the most part what you're doing is not domaining, it's fantasy business development .. you're coming up with business concepts and then inventing brands/domains for those concepts. That is NOT domaining because you need to sell the business concept and the domains themselves are secondary.

That being said .. ironically what you're doing here with your growing portfolio of "Epik" domains seems to be more "domaining" than business development because these domains are targeted at existing businesses. The problem however, that also as demonstrated above .. they are simply horrible domains that not only are of insufficient quality to be even close to be considered investable, some actually have potential legal liabilities.

Seriously, you do bring out the best in me:xf.smile:. I know I don't fit "your" mold of the perfect domainer, but I try:xf.grin:
Surprisingly, despite the industry being a difficult one to thrive in, there are actually multiple paths to being a successful domainer. Unfortunately most of what you're doing is not domaining it's fantasy business development .. then the few things that you're doing that is more domaining you're just doing very wrong. Either not getting domains of sufficient quality for them to anywhere close surpassing the "sales-multiple * probability-of-sale" threshold needed to maintain a profitable portfolio .. or .. acquiring domains that are outbound only type domains, but then never doing any outbound because you claim the domain industry is messed up (there's no denying it's messed up, but why buy something to resell in an industry that you constantly say is messed-up and therefore you don't even try to outbound for some reason and constantly try to find partners to do everything for you).

I've had domains for 20 years, but only been a domainer for 3 years now, and 2019 was the first year where I was clearly profitable .. so I am by no means an expert. But I have most certainly taken the time to learn and grasp many basic concepts enough to chart my own path to profitability. More importantly, your methods and ideas and concepts are so flagrantly wrong, flawed and dangerous, that one most certainly does not even need to be an expert to see how far off the path you actually are.

You yet again recently launched personal attacks and attempts to message every big name in the industry to slander me and calling me an a-hole in a private message to all the industry leaders here at NamePros,. But until then despite your constant rudeness to myself, other specific domainers and the entire domain community, I have always responded with logic, math, reason and facts (I still am for the most part) .. most of the time disproving your concepts and domaining methods so completely that on countless occasions you actually claim to not read past the first sentence of my posts. I mostly do it to help protect new domainers from following your path to heavy domaining loses.

Maybe one day one of your fantasy business concepts will find a buyer who falls for what you have to say, it's happened countless times before in the business world .. but again .. that is NOT domaining .. that's business development, and again I highly advise you to seek out business forums where your ideas are more suited to .. because business development discussions do not belong here in domain focused forums because most of your domains are worthless as domains and are simply side-notes to your business ideas (which may or may not be good themselves .. but again .. that's besides the point because it's not domaining)

Last edited:
•••
The way I see it, we're working with a bell curve here. On the right end, we have Bob, Abdul, etc. In the middle we have a large pool of respectful and well-meaning common members, and on the left end we have some who shall not be named. IMO, it's becoming clear that the best we can do is not give those on the left end the attention they seek. It's surprising to me to see how many engage in threads such as this, but here I am, myself, engaging. I actually had requested the mods delete my above post but I think it's here to stay now.

I don't like ignorant and uninformed members spreading bad ideas on NP, but I/we can't stop them. We can ignore such posts or we can call them out for what they are and try to achieve a positive outcome. Some have surely chosen to steer clear of @ThatNameGuy threads; a wise choice. You @Ategy have chosen the alternative. It appears, so have I. The question is, which will achieve the better result: a) ignoring these threads entirely; b) exerting valuable mental energy on changing one member's mindset via a means that has so-far proven futile.

I wish everyone here a productive, healthy life. Even my snarky post above; I don't mean any ill will toward @ThatNameGuy but I think this thread is yet further proof that his head is in the clouds, to say the least.

This has been my attempt at option-b. Perhaps I'll pursue option-a going forward. I think if more of us did, we'd all be better off.

Last edited:
•••
I am not very keen on the name because to me it is sort of a mismatch in tone, Yum being playful and informal and Pros implying more serious professional. Sometimes mismatches work, and the name might work for candy or bake shop, but for me not so much. This is just my personal opinion, I could be wrong.

Re your other question to me, and in spirit of Jan 1, my advice would be that we all should follow NamePros excellent guidance for professional interactions. That includes the following.
We suggest that members read each post unemotionally to determine if there is any valuable element or merit to them, and then integrate those parts into a respectful response that balances both opinions.
That is a high standard, I know, but I think we should all strive to achieve it.

I have found the Epik vs Epic, Name vs Domain discussion in this thread worthwhile.

Happy New Year.

Bob
Thanks a lot for your feedback for YumPros.com, and like you said so much of this business involves conjecture and opinion. I was thinking the use for YumPros.com could be similar to the use for NamePros.com, but instead of an international blog for "names" it could be an international blog for foods (yummy foods:xf.wink:). It really could go in a lot of different directions adding to it's value:xf.smile:
Regardless, it's short, it's catchy and there are literally tens of thousands of professionals in the food service industry.

Getting back to Epik vs. Epic. Regardless of what dictionary you request a definition of "epic" from, each one shows the pronunciation for Epic as being E-pik. Here's an example; https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epic I don't know how something like this affects the infamous "radio test", but I just heard a radio commercial where they said, "to learn more about our product go to:" and they spelled out their short website like; E-P-I-K.com

Like you Bob, i found this conversation/discussion about Epik vs. Epic worthwhile enough that I'm more invested in Epik Names than when I started this thread. Thanks again for being the voice of reason.

Last edited:
•••
I don't like ignorant and uninformed members spreading bad ideas on NP, but I/we can't stop them. We can ignore such posts or we can call them out for what they are and try to achieve a positive outcome. Some have surely chosen to steer clear of @ThatNameGuy threads; a wise choice. You @Ategy have chosen the alternative. It appears, so have I. The question is, which will achieve the better result: a) ignoring these threads entirely; b) exerting valuable mental energy on changing one member's mindset via a means that has so-far proven futile.

I understand your point and that most certainly in some contexts it's best just to ignore people.

But the ongoing problem here, is that if nobody steps up to challenge flawed concepts .. then those flawed concepts are and will be seen as supported by the community.

The entire point of an online forum is to discuss and debate and try to come to consensus .. sometimes it's straight forward because concepts are obvious and supported by all .. and then sometimes not so much and a logical and rational friendly and open-minded debate should take place in hopes to come to an ultimate truth .. or .. even to come to a consensus that there are grey-zones in the concept and there are elements of both sides have validity. Because ultimately not everything is absolute nor obvious, and sometimes indeed the best part of a debate is that you end up with the best from both sides and more often than not neither side in a debate is 100% right or wrong.

What should never be done is to sit back and let knowingly false and incorrect concepts continue to thrive unchallenged. So as members of this community it should be ALL OF OUR RESPONSIBILITY to challenge and debate ideas and concepts that we know to be clearly flawed. We should never allow knowingly wrong and potentially dangerous concepts to grow unchallenged.

Yes this is just domains and not world peace. But this is a Domain Name focused forum .. so if we're going to simply ignore blatantly false concepts about domains and allow them to thrive unchallenged ... then what's the point?

Why I post the way I do is because every time, I imagine a new domainer come to a post like this (or more dangerously one of his fantasy business development threads), and imagine what could happen if that new member only listened to what the blatantly incorrect member in question says without any other member challenging what is often so obviously wrong. How much money/time could those other new domainers lose following such a path because nobody challenged the flawed concepts.

For the most part it was never anything personal on my side. It was all about challenging such blatantly flawed concepts. But after a couple years of being called names and accused of stalking .. I'll admit these days I'm more "debate" than "friendly debate" .. although I still make it a point to stick to logic and facts. When I say the member acts childishly it's not opinion .. it's fact .. because he continues to debate while openly admitting to not even read the logical fact and points of other participants (usually me .. lol). To me that's a disrespect to the entire community if you're not even willing to listen to what others have to say, yet continue to claim they are wrong all the same.

It is ok to ignore people if they bother you .. but it is NOT ok to ignore members who continuously promote potentially harmful ideas and concepts. That's specifically why I've repeatedly asked NamePros to not delete his rude and irrational posts .. so people can see him for who he truly is .. and more importantly so that the flawed concepts can be challenged and debated (that's the whole point of free speech). I just wished that a few more people would live up to the responsibility that a crucial element of being part of a community is to insure it at least strives for truth .. and that when they see things that are clearly false, that that challenge/debate those concepts that they don't agree with.

For the most part I'll always do it as I always do ... politely and using plenty of logic, data, fact and math to demonstrate my point.

What bothers me specifically more with this member is that there's usually an underlying ulterior motive of cross-proting his other business concepts and of dropping repeated subtle invitations for people to invest in him (either financially or more commonly with an investment of time and development/coding/outbound) .. that and then combine that unfortunate fact with the fact that he is often so painfully obviously wrong so often, and then actually refuses to even debate and blindly accuses people of stalking him without even reading what they wrote.

More than that it bothers me that @NamePros themselves is very aware of this and yet continues to allow it unchallenged.

It actually wouldn't bother me if the member in question posted primarily domaining focused discussions (without cross-promotion) *AND* were able to debate in a mature and constructively logical way. If he doesn't agree with my points of logic, then instead of calling logic, data and math diarrhoea, he should use his own logic and data to counter my points. That's how a mature debate is supposed to take place and I have ZERO problem with him or anyone else not agreeing with me if they can logically support their argument or clearly state why like a mature adult. Maybe one day .. but it seems that day isn't today .. lol.

What's worse is that I wouldn't even mind if he occasionally mentioned one of his domains if it was done in a way that relates to the conversation. Everyone does it from time to time, and indeed sometimes it is legitimately helpful to demonstrate a point .. but that clearly isn't the case here.

Last edited:
•••
I get your point but if I was naming a Domaining forum I would use DomainPros instead of NamePros.
We are selling and talking about domains and we are not a site talking about baby names.

NamePros - needs a tagline to identify what it does.

DomainPros - Needs nothing, it says all it needs to in the name.

Name pros - is nice

You thought DomainGourmet.com (which i own) was the cats meow, but like Bob said, the "average end user" isn't familiar with domains or domaining. Better than DomainPros imho is BrandPros.com. "Brand" is a more sophisticated term/word, and most end users can relate to what a brand is.

You're right about NamePros needing a tagline. I've worked with Eric Lyon on a couple of taglines for my domains and he was a big help with CanDoBrands...thanks Eric if you're out there:xf.smile:

I recently reg'd YumNames.com that I think needs a tagline as well, and any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Actually my good friend Ategy said YumNames "is fine", and I'm guessing he doesn't know how fine it really is....let the exploitation begin:xf.wink: Thanks Ategy

Finally, I don't believe Epik needs a

•••
I understand your point and that most certainly in some contexts it's best just to ignore people.

But the ongoing problem here, is that if nobody steps up to challenge flawed concepts .. then those flawed concepts are and will be seen as supported by the community.

The entire point of an online forum is to discuss and debate and try to come to consensus .. sometimes it's straight forward because concepts are obvious and supported by all .. and then sometimes not so much and a logical and rational friendly and open-minded debate should take place in hopes to come to an ultimate truth .. or .. even to come to a consensus that there are grey-zones in the concept and there are elements of both sides have validity. Because ultimately not everything is absolute nor obvious, and sometimes indeed the best part of a debate is that you end up with the best from both sides and more often than not neither side in a debate is 100% right or wrong.

What should never be done is to sit back and let knowingly false and incorrect concepts continue to thrive unchallenged. So as members of this community it should be ALL OF OUR RESPONSIBILITY to challenge and debate ideas and concepts that we know to be clearly flawed. We should never allow knowingly wrong and potentially dangerous concepts to grow unchallenged.

Yes this is just domains and not world peace. But this is a Domain Name focused forum .. so if we're going to simply ignore blatantly false concepts about domains and allow them to thrive unchallenged ... then what's the point?

Why I post the way I do is because every time, I imagine a new domainer come to a post like this (or more dangerously one of his fantasy business development threads), and imagine what could happen if that new member only listened to what the blatantly incorrect member in question says without any other member challenging what is often so obviously wrong. How much money/time could those other new domainers lose following such a path because nobody challenged the flawed concepts.

For the most part it was never anything personal on my side. It was all about challenging such blatantly flawed concepts. But after a couple years of being called names and accused of stalking .. I'll admit these days I'm more "debate" than "friendly debate" .. although I still make it a point to stick to logic and facts. When I say the member acts childishly it's not opinion .. it's fact .. because he continues to debate while openly admitting to not even read the logical fact and points of other participants (usually me .. lol). To me that's a disrespect to the entire community if you're not even willing to listen to what others have to say, yet continue to claim they are wrong all the same.

It is ok to ignore people if they bother you .. but it is NOT ok to ignore members who continuously promote potentially harmful ideas and concepts. That's specifically why I've repeatedly asked NamePros to not delete his rude and irrational posts .. so people can see him for who he truly is .. and more importantly so that the flawed concepts can be challenged and debated (that's the whole point of free speech). I just wished that a few more people would live up to the responsibility that a crucial element of being part of a community is to insure it at least strives for truth .. and that when they see things that are clearly false, that that challenge/debate those concepts that they don't agree with.

For the most part I'll always do it as I always do ... politely and using plenty of logic, data, fact and math to demonstrate my point.

What bothers me specifically more with this member is that there's usually an underlying ulterior motive of cross-proting his other business concepts and of dropping repeated subtle invitations for people to invest in him (either financially or more commonly with an investment of time and development/coding/outbound) .. that and then combine that unfortunate fact with the fact that he is often so painfully obviously wrong so often, and then actually refuses to even debate and blindly accuses people of stalking him without even reading what they wrote.

More than that it bothers me that @NamePros themselves is very aware of this and yet continues to allow it unchallenged.

It actually wouldn't bother me if the member in question posted primarily domaining focused discussions (without cross-promotion) *AND* were able to debate in a mature and constructively logical way. If he doesn't agree with my points of logic, then instead of calling logic, data and math diarrhoea, he should use his own logic and data to counter my points. That's how a mature debate is supposed to take place and I have ZERO problem with him or anyone else not agreeing with me if they can logically support their argument or clearly state why like a mature adult. Maybe one day .. but it seems that day isn't today .. lol.

What's worse is that I wouldn't even mind if he occasionally mentioned one of his domains if it was done in a way that relates to the conversation. Everyone does it from time to time, and indeed sometimes it is legitimately helpful to demonstrate a point .. but that clearly isn't the case here.
Thanks Ategy...lets try to get back on topic if you don't mind. Even Rob thanked me for starting this tread. While you so eloquently pointed out that two word brand names using Epik as the first word are "garbage", I would like to thank you for pointing out that YumNames.com "is fine". I'm not sure what you mean by fine, but I'll let others be the judge.

Ategy, I know you spend a lot of time worrying about me, but I have a wife of 49 years who does that. I own a few Ynot Brands, but I think YnotPray.com is available. Give it a try, and Happy New Year!

•••
OK .. Day 1 2020 .. obviously some bad blood behind us .. but I'd really love for you to understand what I'm trying to say so that you can see that my issues are with the math behind what you say .. and not against you. I do appreciate the fact you finally read one of my posts above .. so I'll try to really make a detailed post to try to explain how I see things and hopefully get you to at least understand what I see from my side.

1 - Before starting with the rest, for YumNames, what I mean by "fine" is that it's a decent brand for a domain marketplace. Not the best name .. but certainly very usable and very far from being the worst. That being said .. it's important to note that I say that keeping in mind that you are the potential end user, not as an investment. Although in all fairness, most such "domainer domains" are challenging to retail because most domainers want domains cheap (even in the ironic case where they should be paying retail prices .. lol). But yeah .. if you launched your marketplace on YumNames.com I most certainly would not challenge that decision .. I have seen much much worse.

2 - As for caring about you .. given the language and accusations you've repeatedly thrown my way over the last 2 years, including starting a group private message with a bunch of industry leaders accusing me of stalking and slandering you, it's very safe to say that your wife can have you! ;) lol

3 - Again .. my posts are not meant to be personal .. it's just that I find your posts to often be potentially harmful to newer members looking to NamePros to learn.

While I think some of your business ideas are indeed crazy, ultimately it isn't even about the specifics of those business development concepts/ideas. For all I know, law of averages says one will pan out .. or maybe you're get an investor and take one of your concepts to the next level. However my big issue is that all these concepts you're talking about is "business development" and not domaining .. the domains you've collected to associate with your "still non-existent business concepts" are effectively worthless on their own. Yet you continue to misrepresent or misunderstand that most of these so called "business concept domains" are valuable, when in fact they are utterly worthless as "domains" outside the scope of your business pitch.

And I'm not saying this to be mean or to single you out .. it's actually a fundamental concept error most domainers face when they start out. PARTICULARLY business dreamers like you and many many others here INCLUDING MYSELF! Heck .. I had domains for 17 years before I actually started actively "domaining" .. so 100% I also made the mistake over the years of collecting domains with the "visions" of fantasy business concepts.

When hunting for domains people say "Oh .. that domain would be perfect for blabla bla type of business" .. and it's so easy to take off and start running with such dreams. But ultimately it's very dangerous as a domainer because of the math and probabilities behind that concept is astronomically challenging (which I've been ever so vigorously trying to explain to you! :) lol

The basics of what I mean is that it's already difficult making a profit with domains with already existing end users. By that I actually specifically mean domains like EpicCondos (with a C .. lol) or PatriotHosting or EmeraldMortgages (all domains I've acquired). Such domains have strong enough adjectives in strong enough industries with enough EXISTING businesses to reach that magic "1% probability of sale at 100x of your average cost".

So in my case let's say I sell 0.5% of such names a year at an average 300x of my average domain cost (combo of acq cost and renewals) .. factor them together and you get 150%, which means I'm making about 50% profit margin a year in profit (150% revenue minus 100% of costs).

But the margin of manoeuvrability is very tight, because as the average desirability factor (again: strong adjective + strong industry combination) goes down, both the % in terms of probability of sale and the potential sales multiple drops off the map very fast .. to numbers as potentially dismal as 0.2% and maybe 50x .. which factors to 10% .. which is effectively an annual loss of 90% (10% revenue minus 100% of your costs).

When it comes to most of the domains we see here at NamePros the unfortunate reality is that even 0.2% is being unrealistically generous. Forget all these abstract enemies of domainers you often talk about .. that almost always overlooked piece of math of "probability of sale" is by FAR the most dangerous and overlooked pitfall of the entire industry.

That ultimately is the problem I have with "concept domains" .. because while good "in demand domains" are already very challenging to make a profit .. "concept domains" have all the existing mathematical challenges that "in demand domains" have .. but then you also have to factor in the very challenging percentage chance that someone also needs to have the same idea that you will have. Because while you came up with 9Time, and for the sake of argument let's even say it was a good idea .. even if it's a good idea, that exact idea and domain name would need to be thought up by somebody else just to be considered "in demand". So that one crucial "someone else has to think about your exact idea" is what effectively obliterates your % probability of sale down to something like 0.01% or even 0%.

That being said .. YES .. if you build out the idea and outbound the idea to business investors, yes .. certainly you can get lucky and sell your business idea. But not only is that active outbound, it's not even outbounding your domains .. it's outbounding your "business concept" .. so it is NOT domaining.

It does not mean your business idea is good or bad .. it just means that what you're doing is not domaining .. and that your domains are effectively worthless without the support of the associated business plan (which in itself is a challenge .. but as I've been trying to say .. that is a discussion for a different forum .. a business development forum perhaps .. lol)! I don't say that to be mean, or because I want you to go (although when you called me an AHole and stalker and slanderer I might have thought that a bit .. lol) .. but it's more just because it simply is not domaining!

Again .. I'm NOT saying your business ideas are bad .. I'm simply saying that your domains are mostly worthless on their own when looking at them from a domainer's standpoint of investability (again, not all of them are bad, but particularly your business concept domains just unfortunately have no domain investment value for DOMAINERS).

I'm not even saying the domains are necessarily bad for the business concepts you're developing .. but for a domainer who is just a domainer .. they are bad investments because of the DOMAINER math.

Your "business development" math might be profitable .. but again .. you are NOT selling domains .. you are doing business development and trying to get investors in the business concept .. not in the domains. The domains are incidental unless they would otherwise be in strong enough demand to be over that "1% at 100x" threshold. Simpli_____.com and Epik_____.com domains unfortunately don't even come close to that threshold .. the probability of sale is way too low (without an associated business concept).

That's really the two biggest problems facing new domainers:

1- Don't get caught up in "build-out" or "business development/concept" fantasies
(unless you actually have the time, money and skills to do it .. but again .. that's not domaining either)

2- The quality of domains actually you need to ever reach "break even" math is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than most newcomers actually think it is.
(1% sales probability at 100x avg cost)

Combine those two factors together and you get a reality that truly sucks as a new domainer .. because it's soooo easy to get caught up in what you think is a cool domain (but instead is actually a cool "concept" .. but you always need to stop and ask .. Are there a lot of potential EXISTING buyers for that domain with big pocket books? Even for most very cool domains, the answer to that question is sadly no! :(

I really hope that helped .. I'm getting really tired of all the frustration .. seriously .. what I say above is genuine .. and my concerns are for everyone who haven't passed those two CRUCIAL "Ah-ha moments" when we come to realise most of what we're doing wrong as new domainers is because of those two problems.

To sum them up again:

1 - Don't get caught up in fantasies
2 - The math behind the hyper-majority of domains is absolutely horrible .. "Good" domains are NOT good enough to be "investable" (even if misleadingly they are indeed "usable") .. you absolutely need to have great to excellent domains (both strong adjective AND in a strong industry with losts of $$$/competition) AND get them at low enough prices to allow for astronomical multiples.

The methods and math can most certainly be different for every domainer. When it comes to the best 5+ figure domains your probability of sale goes way way up .. so in turn you can focus on 5x or 10x type multiple. Because of those two important variables (probability of sale and sales multiple), there actually numerous domaining models you can choose and still be successful .. but the combined factor must always be over 100% of your costs .. otherwise you're going to end up losing money .. "as a domainer"! ;)

Last edited:
•••
OK .. Day 1 2020 .. obviously some bad blood behind us .. but I'd really love for you to understand what I'm trying to say so that you can see that my issues are with the math behind what you say .. and not against you. I do appreciate the fact you finally read one of my posts above .. so I'll try to really make a detailed post to try to explain how I see things and hopefully get you to at least understand what I see from my side.

1 - Before starting with the rest, for YumNames, what I mean by "fine" is that it's a decent brand for a domain marketplace. Not the best name .. but certainly very usable and very far from being the worst. That being said .. it's important to note that I say that keeping in mind that you are the potential end user, not as an investment. Although in all fairness, most such "domainer domains" are challenging to retail because most domainers want domains cheap (even in the ironic case where they should be paying retail prices .. lol). But yeah .. if you launched your marketplace on YumNames.com I most certainly would not challenge that decision .. I have seen much much worse.

2 - As for caring about you .. given the language and accusations you've repeatedly thrown my way over the last 2 years, including starting a group private message with a bunch of industry leaders accusing me of stalking and slandering you, it's very safe to say that your wife can have you! ;) lol

3 - Again .. my posts are not meant to be personal .. it's just that I find your posts to often be potentially harmful to newer members looking to NamePros to learn.

While I think some of your business ideas are indeed crazy, ultimately it isn't even about the specifics of those business development concepts/ideas. For all I know, law of averages says one will pan out .. or maybe you're get an investor and take one of your concepts to the next level. However my big issue is that all these concepts you're talking about is "business development" and not domaining .. the domains you've collected to associate with your "still non-existent business concepts" are effectively worthless on their own. Yet you continue to misrepresent or misunderstand that most of these so called "business concept domains" are valuable, when in fact they are utterly worthless as "domains" outside the scope of your business pitch.

And I'm not saying this to be mean or to single you out .. it's actually a fundamental concept error most domainers face when they start out. PARTICULARLY business dreamers like you and many many others here INCLUDING MYSELF! Heck .. I had domains for 17 years before I actually started actively "domaining" .. so 100% I also made the mistake over the years of collecting domains with the "visions" of fantasy business concepts.

When hunting for domains people say "Oh .. that domain would be perfect for blabla bla type of business" .. and it's so easy to take off and start running with such dreams. But ultimately it's very dangerous as a domainer because of the math and probabilities behind that concept is astronomically challenging (which I've been ever so vigorously trying to explain to you! :) lol

The basics of what I mean is that it's already difficult making a profit with domains with already existing end users. By that I actually specifically mean domains like EpicCondos (with a C .. lol) or PatriotHosting or EmeraldMortgages (all domains I've acquired). Such domains have strong enough adjectives in strong enough industries with enough EXISTING businesses to reach that magic "1% probability of sale at 100x of your average cost".

So in my case let's say I sell 0.5% of such names a year at an average 300x of my average domain cost (combo of acq cost and renewals) .. factor them together and you get 150%, which means I'm making about 50% profit margin a year in profit (150% revenue minus 100% of costs).

But the margin of manoeuvrability is very tight, because as the average desirability factor (again: strong adjective + strong industry combination) goes down, both the % in terms of probability of sale and the potential sales multiple drops off the map very fast .. to numbers as potentially dismal as 0.2% and maybe 50x .. which factors to 10% .. which is effectively an annual loss of 90% (10% revenue minus 100% of your costs).

When it comes to most of the domains we see here at NamePros the unfortunate reality is that even 0.2% is being unrealistically generous. Forget all these abstract enemies of domainers you often talk about .. that almost always overlooked piece of math of "probability of sale" is by FAR the most dangerous and overlooked pitfall of the entire industry.

That ultimately is the problem I have with "concept domains" .. because while good "in demand domains" are already very challenging to make a profit .. "concept domains" have all the existing mathematical challenges that "in demand domains" have .. but then you also have to factor in the very challenging percentage chance that someone also needs to have the same idea that you will have. Because while you came up with 9Time, and for the sake of argument let's even say it was a good idea .. even if it's a good idea, that exact idea and domain name would need to be thought up by somebody else just to be considered "in demand". So that one crucial "someone else has to think about your exact idea" is what effectively obliterates your % probability of sale down to something like 0.01% or even 0%.

That being said .. YES .. if you build out the idea and outbound the idea to business investors, yes .. certainly you can get lucky and sell your business idea. But not only is that active outbound, it's not even outbounding your domains .. it's outbounding your "business concept" .. so it is NOT domaining.

It does not mean your business idea is good or bad .. it just means that what you're doing is not domaining .. and that your domains are effectively worthless without the support of the associated business plan (which in itself is a challenge .. but as I've been trying to say .. that is a discussion for a different forum .. a business development forum perhaps .. lol)! I don't say that to be mean, or because I want you to go (although when you called me an AHole and stalker and slanderer I might have thought that a bit .. lol) .. but it's more just because it simply is not domaining!

Again .. I'm NOT saying your business ideas are bad .. I'm simply saying that your domains are mostly worthless on their own when looking at them from a domainer's standpoint of investability (again, not all of them are bad, but particularly your business concept domains just unfortunately have no domain investment value for DOMAINERS).

I'm not even saying the domains are necessarily bad for the business concepts you're developing .. but for a domainer who is just a domainer .. they are bad investments because of the DOMAINER math.

Your "business development" math might be profitable .. but again .. you are NOT selling domains .. you are doing business development and trying to get investors in the business concept .. not in the domains. The domains are incidental unless they would otherwise be in strong enough demand to be over that "1% at 100x" threshold. Simpli_____.com and Epik_____.com domains unfortunately don't even come close to that threshold .. the probability of sale is way too low (without an associated business concept).

That's really the two biggest problems facing new domainers:

1- Don't get caught up in "build-out" or "business development/concept" fantasies
(unless you actually have the time, money and skills to do it .. but again .. that's not domaining either)

2- The quality of domains actually you need to ever reach "break even" math is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than most newcomers actually think it is.
(1% sales probability at 100x avg cost)

Combine those two factors together and you get a reality that truly sucks as a new domainer .. because it's soooo easy to get caught up in what you think is a cool domain (but instead is actually a cool "concept" .. but you always need to stop and ask .. Are there a lot of potential EXISTING buyers for that domain with big pocket books? Even for most very cool domains, the answer to that question is sadly no! :(

I really hope that helped .. I'm getting really tired of all the frustration .. seriously .. what I say above is genuine .. and my concerns are for everyone who haven't passed those two CRUCIAL "Ah-ha moments" when we come to realise most of what we're doing wrong as new domainers is because of those two problems.

To sum them up again:

1 - Don't get caught up in fantasies
2 - The math behind the hyper-majority of domains is absolutely horrible .. "Good" domains are NOT good enough to be "investable" (even if misleadingly they are indeed "usable") .. you absolutely need to have great to excellent domains (both strong adjective AND in a strong industry with losts of $$$/competition) AND get them at low enough prices to allow for astronomical multiples.

The methods and math can most certainly be different for every domainer. When it comes to the best 5+ figure domains your probability of sale goes way way up .. so in turn you can focus on 5x or 10x type multiple. Because of those two important variables (probability of sale and sales multiple), there actually numerous domaining models you can choose and still be successful .. but the combined factor must always be over 100% of your costs .. otherwise you're going to end up losing money .. "as a domainer"! ;)

2372 Words for Naught:xf.eek:

Ategy...i'm now back to
not reading your posts, however just for fun this time I counted the number of words in your rant/diatribe about me. You will have to excuse me because I'm still working on a project for HUMANITY that you can read about here; https://www.namepros.com/threads/homelessrx-org-its-not-about-the-money.1169696/#post-7560951https://www.namepros.com/threads/homelessrx-org-its-not-about-the-money.1169696/#post-7560951 that's far more important than anything you can possibly say.

•••
Good point, you are on your game today (y)

In the same theme....
I write at NamePros
I also write, not as often as I should, at NameTalent
My own domain website is NamesThat.win
One of the registrars I use is NameSilo
And another is Namecheap
I use NameStat quite a lot for statistics
I attended the industry biggest conference NamesCon in 2019
Bob

(Yes, I know I could list contrary like my Twitter is AGreatDomain, I use DomainIQ, DomainTools, etc.). For domainers I think the case can be made domain is better, for general public I agree with @thatNameGuy that Name or Brand is preferred (or plurals).
Bob...ever hear of "spelling reform" seen here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_reform It's not impossibe, but the fact is, the phonetic pronunciation for Epic is Epik. Check it out on any of the online dictionaries and you're see what I mean. I wonder if Rob will get upset with me if I start an EpikRevolution to change the spelling of Epic to Epik:xf.wink:

•••
I'm never fully convinced by the radio test, particularly not nowadays.

Firstly, with powerful search engines like Google, people will often whack the name of the company into the search bar rather than go direct to the URL. If you're brand new and haven't been indexed very well, sure... you might miss a few hits. But most people will usually find what they are looking for. If I heard an advert for xero.com (an accounting package), I'd simply Google "zero accounting software" - and guess what comes up top of the page? That's right xero.com!

Secondly, plenty of companies brand under "typos" and do just fine. Xoom.com, xero.com - in a way it's a trade-off. Xoom looks cooler than Zoom and provides a more unique identity than the correct spelling.

Also, I normally come across products online nowadays, rather than on the radio. With social media, instant messaging etc the need to regularly convey a URL verbally is greatly reduced. Not saying it doesn't help, just that it's less important than it was in the 90s. I use imgur.com all the time - no idea whether I pronounce it correctly, but it doesn't matter.

I think if I was starting out I'd go for something that provided a unique brand identity and was easy to remember / catchy. The spelling of the URL and how it might be interpreted verbally I'd think about, but it's a secondary consideration.

I know there are some purists on NP that maintain the importance of the radio test, but I think it's from another era.

Last edited:
•••

Firstly, with powerful search engines like Google, people will often whack the name of the company into the search bar rather than go direct to the URL. If you're brand new and haven't been indexed very well, sure... you might miss a few hits. But most people will usually find what they are looking for. If I heard an advert for xero.com (an accounting package), I'd simply Google "zero accounting software" - and guess what comes up top of the page? That's right xero.com!

Secondly, plenty of companies brand under "typos" and do just fine. Xoom.com, xero.com - in a way it's a trade-off. Xoom looks cooler than Zoom and provides a more unique identity than the correct spelling.

Also, I normally come across products online nowadays, rather than on the radio. With social media, instant messaging etc the need to regularly convey a URL verbally is greatly reduced. Not saying it doesn't help, just that it's less important than it was in the 90s.

I think if I was starting out I'd go for something that provided a unique brand identity and was easy to remember / catchy. The spelling of the URL and how it might be interpreted verbally I'd think about, but it's a secondary consideration.

This works for one word domains (like epik.com) but he is talking about misspelled two worders.

You like lyft.com, right? How about easylyft? Terrible, right? Easylift is much better.

He's talking about epik + word which will in no world ever be half as good as epic + word.

•••
This works for one word domains (like epik.com) but he is talking about misspelled two worders.

You like lyft.com, right? How about easylyft? Terrible, right? Easylift is much better.

He's talking about epik + word which will in no world ever be half as good as epic + word.

I think you have to be a bit more careful, but I think it can still work.

clearbanc.com for example. I think it's actually quite a nice brand - something about the misspelling makes it feel fresh - which is exactly what they are trying to portray as a brand. But yes, there's no hard rule.

Take your Easylyft.com example - yeah, that's a bit clunky. But ezlift.com would be pretty good for a brand in my mind.

Last edited:
•••

Firstly, with powerful search engines like Google, people will often whack the name of the company into the search bar rather than go direct to the URL. If you're brand new and haven't been indexed very well, sure... you might miss a few hits. But most people will usually find what they are looking for.

Also, I normally come across products online nowadays, rather than on the radio. With social media, instant messaging etc the need to regularly convey a URL verbally is greatly reduced. Not saying it doesn't help, just that it's less important than it was in the 90s.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Speaking of misspelling's and typo's, I've always thought about words, and why they aren't spelled like they sound? Then I found this a few minutes ago; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_reform

Wouldn't it be cool:xf.cool: if we could mount a charge to change the spelling of Epic to Epik, or at least have it recognized as an alternative?

Now I'm trying to decide whether to start a SpellingRevolution.com or RevolutionizeSpelling.com

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

•••
I agree with others that misspelled words are only appropriate for 1 word brand names.

Radio test is very important for brand name of 2+ words. For one word names radio test is less important but if it still contributes to the quality of the name.

Last edited:
•••

In all due respect Lord Antares...i'm sure you would agree there are exceptions to every rule. As an example, I just registered the domain EpikCredit.com that's just as good if not better than EpicCredit.com (which leads to a company known as Epic Credits) for my purposes. Not only is it a better alternative imho....i own it:xf.wink:

•••
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Speaking of misspelling's and typo's, I've always thought about words, and why they aren't spelled like they sound? Then I found this a few minutes ago; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_reform

Wouldn't it be cool:xf.cool: if we could mount a charge to change the spelling of Epic to Epik, or at least have it recognized as an alternative?

Now I'm trying to decide whether to start a SpellingRevolution.com or RevolutionizeSpelling.com

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Offtopic but that's language specific. English is weird and words aren't spelled like how they sound. That's why there are such things as misspells.

My mother tongue spells words exactly how they sound and it's impossible to misspell words. That's why spelling bees don't exist here.

We also don't have x (ks), w (v usually) or y (j or i). So I completely understand this point.

That's just a little funfact but this is english so your points cannot be applied here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back