news Epik acquired Undeveloped

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
There's a discussion going on about this topic at https://www.namepros.com/posts/6036538/
Both Epik and Undeveloped CEOs are also on that thread and responding to questions around the acquisition and the services

Yeah, old news by now. You're a bit late to this party :xf.wink:

If you both missed, there is no acquisition price mentioned in the earlier thread and we have had an insider scoop on the transaction price for both of you experts :P

•••
Hopefully you have an option to remove your foreign phone number from my landing pages as I am in US and sell to US businesses and can't have that showing or I won't be using your service.

Or change it to my own.

•••
So someone that inquires from the landing page and I don't get the phone number they were required to put in or their email address.

•••
If you both missed, there is no acquisition price mentioned in the earlier thread and we have had an insider scoop on the transaction price for both of you experts :P

No need to be sarcastic. I was merely being polite assuming you missed the earlier post. Sorry I tried to help

•••
Keep the questions coming!

Not per se. We do have instant escrow for Epik users but we manage accounts at almost all registrars and can keep your names in our escrow account untill the final payment is in.

Would it be possible for us to add our Google Analytics code to a for-sale landing page?

•••
No need to be sarcastic. I was merely being polite assuming you missed the earlier post. Sorry I tried to help

Thanks for your help sir!

•••
Would it be possible for us to add our Google Analytics code to a for-sale landing page?
I second this. It'll be an incredibly useful feature

•••
congrats on the acquizition!
Curious if there are any numbers available publicly about undeveloped sales/revenues, number of transactions or VC/investments in it?

•••
•••
So if I list a bunch of domains with your landing pages, then when anyone goes to undeveloped.com and searches for keywords in my domains, then my domains will show up and the price i had listed?

Can you show me an example of some domains listed there that are actually showing up decently in google search as you suggest?

Our for sales page do indeed get indexed in google. We recently noticed that the gTLD's even get indexed pretty well. Search for Play.Store & Live.Cricket in google and you'll find our for sales page as the first result in Google.

In order to even increase the ranking of your names in Google you can play around with adding smart unique content to your landing pages with the right keywords buyers would search for.

•••
congrats on the acquizition!
Curious if there are any numbers available publicly about undeveloped sales/revenues, number of transactions or VC/investments in it?

Thanks!

The numbers we can publicly share are the following to give you an impression of our growth rate:

1: We hit +$1M in revenue in 2016
2: We doubled the number of transactions in 2016 compared to 2015
3: Attracted 2.9M unique visitors
4: Raised a total of $500k from a local Dutch VC.

The above stats are accomplished with a relative small group of sellers compared to our competitors. So the only reason why we're not yet generating more revenue in comparison of our competitors is because we simply don't have the big volume of sellers already parking with us. Before we joined Epik we only focused mostly on two European countries and are now ready to scale beyond Europe.

On a monthly basis we keep track and compare our conversion rates of # of parked names and publicly shared sales on other platforms. We're outperforming other platforms in terms of connecting your names with end-users via organic channels like parking and search.

I'm not saying when you switch to us that instantly you will sell half of your domains though. That's unfortunately never going to happen because there are serious liquidity issues in our market.

Take care,

Reza
Undeveloped.com

•••
Hopefully you have an option to remove your foreign phone number from my landing pages as I am in US and sell to US businesses and can't have that showing or I won't be using your service.

Or change it to my own.

I get your point. We can look into internationalizing the phone number. So far we haven't seen less calls from the US compared to other countries if we look at our data.

Having said that let me explain why we have our number there. We work very systematically and never add anything on your for sales pages without a reason.

There are a lot of novice end-users out there that haven't purchased a domain from the secondary market before. Often they'll even skip interacting with you when they have unanswered questions or don't understand the process or simply want to hear a human voice before they interact.

We pick up the phone for you, build trust with your buyer from a third party perspective and make sure your buyers receives all information they need to proceed and acquire your name or interact with you.

I hope that clarifies why the number is there.

Take care,

Reza
Undeveloped.com

•••

At the moment we don't offer that. We do provide you with proper traffic stats and you get the basic information your need about your buyer. We don't hide them as we stand for open and transparent communication between buyers and sellers.

We use Google analytics ourselves on the for sales pages to keep track of conversions and improve conversions on our for sales pages so can't add another tracker there.

•••
The elegant landers got my attention. Finally an attractive look that might get and keep some attention. I recognize the difference in raw traffic between using your lander(s) directly versus an external link from a parking page link but do you have insight on actual results between the two?
The 15% seller fee is the only fee you charge?
And I think your use of the term "SOLD BY" in your feature auctions is potentially confusing to an end user leading to fewer clicks than say "OFFERED BY or OFFERED FOR SALE BY".
With your acceptance of Paypal - does that insure that sellers are insulated from chargebacks and you absorb all risk once the domain is transferred?
And can you clarify the exact criteria for being able to offer installment payments?
I love Epik and am really looking forward to testing your platform.

•••
The elegant landers got my attention. Finally an attractive look that might get and keep some attention. I recognize the difference in raw traffic between using your lander(s) directly versus an external link from a parking page link but do you have insight on actual results between the two?
The 15% seller fee is the only fee you charge?
And I think your use of the term "SOLD BY" in your feature auctions is potentially confusing to an end user leading to fewer clicks than say "OFFERED BY or OFFERED FOR SALE BY".
With your acceptance of Paypal - does that insure that sellers are insulated from chargebacks and you absorb all risk once the domain is transferred?
And can you clarify the exact criteria for being able to offer installment payments?
I love Epik and am really looking forward to testing your platform.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't have the exact different between the conversions if you look at direct landers and one with a link, however we did perform customer development on all types of landers and the one with both options is confusing to non-domainers. They don't understand the link ads and don't instantly make the connection that the name might be for sale.

A lot of times people also have an ad-blocker installed, in those cases the lander is even worse as it shows an awkward empty page that end-users don't understand.

Epik customers can get a discount on the commission. You can reach out to me regarding that at [email protected].

We've heard the "Sold By" remark more often lately so we'll be changing that to avoid confusion.

As we provide an internal escrow service we take all risks even with Paypal. Keep in mind that we can only offer this insurance by having a normal escrow fee's structure. Since the inception of Undeveloped there has never been a seller that took a hit with us. We'd like to keep it that way :).

The only criteria we have for enabling installments is that you park at least 50% of your domains with us.

Take care,

Reza
Undeveloped.com

•••
We used to offer categories but quickly found out they don't add that much value. Sellers can't properly categorise large amount ot domains while buyers also don't want to endlessly scroll through categories. They use search filters to find names. So we focus on having an intuitive search functionlity...
Okay, how does this work? Not asking about keyword-based domains, but made-up brandables specifically.
More importantly, landing on one of my domains' pages, does the visitor get to search through my domains only or all the names listed with Undeveloped? And if the latter, what's Undeveloped's current domain count?
@Undeveloped
Looking forward to your answers to the above, thanks :pompous:

Last edited:
•••
@Domains - Wanted visitor will get search result of all the names listed @ Undeveloped .
Give me an example - domain made up/ brand-able and i will do my best to identify idea and deliver description.

•••
@Domains - Wanted visitor will get search result of all the names listed @ Undeveloped.
That's what I expected. Makes sense. So, how many domains in total at Undeveloped?
Give me an example - domain made up/ brand-able and i will do my best to identify idea and deliver description.
Hmmm... okay, how about... Tifai.com or Tikic.com?

•••
Tifai is Italia word. Meaning is "support" or be a fan of something , better definition Tifa = cheering. This domain name is perfect for the soccer fans; Inter Milano, Juventus etc.

•••
Tikic is the last name in Balkan areas (south EU). On the another side Tiki in Hindu is Pill , Let's say Pill C - Vitamin C.

•••
Thanks for the effort, but no thanks. This doesn't exactly open up any new horizons. I've been known to make use of Google myself, on occasion :xf.wink:

•••
@Undeveloped
Looking forward to your answers to the above, thanks :pompous:

Thanks for the reminder detective ;)

Here you go:

Okay, how does this work? Not asking about keyword-based domains, but made-up brandables specifically.

For brandable names we're experimenting with curated pages like this one:

https://undeveloped.com/curated-list/brandable?order=relevance

That's one way of promoting them. In the near future we might introduce a section for brandable names only. If you have suggestions or experience in making brandable names better findable I'm more than happy to have a chat with you!

More importantly, landing on one of my domains' pages, does the visitor get to search through my domains only or all the names listed with Undeveloped? And if the latter, what's Undeveloped's current domain count?

No, only your own domains. You can also disable this feature completely or replace it with a BIO about yourself to build some trust with your visitor.

The way we designed our for sales page is that the buyer should have all critical info he/she needs to interact on the first screen. The moment they're still in doubt, they can scroll and we'll then provide additional info to convince them to initiate.

That's why we always keep the make offer box present on the right side of the screen when you scroll. This makes sure the call to action is always present the moment your visitor is ready to buy.

I hope that helps,

Reza
Undeveloped.com

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back