news Epik acquired Undeveloped

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why unimpressed with undedeveloped?
Nothing innovative. Nothing useful that doesn't already exist in a maturer form on other websites. Nothing impressive.

I sadly don't see a need for anything they're offering, but it looks like they have a strong team and the future is waiting to be written.

IMO.

•••
Had a great experience with undeveloped, if commission is 10% for sales below $500 will make more sense to small sales.

Thanks for the kind words. We're happy to have you with us :). In order for us to be able to keep investing heavily in our marketplace, to further develop and innovate so you can enjoy a more liquid and vibrant marketplace we have to charge a reasonable fee at the moment. We invest everything we make right back in our marketplace to help you become a more successful seller.

•••
Saw this on Google Alerts: Epik bought Undeveloped.com for 4 million Euro

In reality, Undeveloped is not worth anywhere near €4,000,000
I to am trying to figure out how a recent outfit like Undeveloped is worth that kind of money. It's not a major player in the industry. Maybe it has potential but little history and most likely little profit. I actually have the annual accounts from 2015 in front of me, filed in January 2017 (it's public information from KVK, the local chamber of commerce and the most recent you can get). Back then they weren't making millions in turnover let alone profit.

The numbers we can publicly share are the following to give you an impression of our growth rate:

1: We hit +$1M in revenue in 2016
2: We doubled the number of transactions in 2016 compared to 2015
3: Attracted 2.9M unique visitors
4: Raised a total of $500k from a local Dutch VC.

Nothing innovative. Nothing useful that doesn't already exist in a maturer form on other websites. Nothing impressive.
My thoughts as well. They scrape domains that aren't even listed with them. They certainly don't have an own inventory of 21 million domain names. Misleading statement.

•••
I to am trying to figure out how a recent outfit like Undeveloped is worth that kind of money. It's not a major player in the industry. Maybe it has potential but little history and most likely little profit. I actually have the annual accounts from 2015 in front of me, filed in January 2017 (it's public information from KVK, the local chamber of commerce and the most recent you can get). Back then they weren't making millions in turnover let alone profit.

My thoughts as well. They scrape domains that aren't even listed with them. They certainly don't have an own inventory of 21 million domain names. Misleading statement.

Acquisitions like these are based on goodwill most often. Would be interesting to see a list of similar intra-industry acquisitions.

•••
THey are only 2.5 years old, so the accounts you're looking at are likely from their infant months only. Look at what they said:
1: We hit +$1M in revenue in 2016
2: We doubled the number of transactions in 2016 compared to 2015
3: Attracted 2.9M unique visitors
4: Raised a total of $500k from a local Dutch VC.

$1M revenues would indicate ~$6-7M in sales going through their platform. Doubling of transactions, likely at very similar median pricing. Probably growing at 100%+ p.a. $500K investment would be minority, and likely valued them at ~$1.5-2M at the time.

$4M doesn't sound crazy at all for the type of growth they've seen together with the numbers they are doing. It's probably 3-3.5 times current revenue, and when you factor in growth might be a reasonable deal for buyer. But then you factor in strategic benefits, which to me looks like the key benefit of this deal rather than revenues, and you start to see a much bigger picture for where Epik wants to be. Very interesting to watch actually.

•••
Hi guys,

Thank you all for all feedback so far! I suggest we continue our talks about Undeveloped in an already existing thread about Undeveloped here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

If you have any questions or feedback regarding our service or product I'd love to hear it.

Take care!

Reza
Undeveloped.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back