Dynadot

End user wants me to call

NameSilo
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
I'm not from the USA , but some end users want me to call. I am not good at talking or confident on call and there will be a difference in understanding their accent. Do you call them on request? how would you go about it?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They probably just want to be sure that there's a real 'someone' selling the domain, and not just an email phishing thing.
My thoughts as well. Maybe they want to negotiate the price too (we don't know if there has been negotiation history prior to that phone call request).
If you're not a native speaker, no problem. Just tell them so. Leave your phone number to show you're legit and not running away. Then the onus is on them to call you, if they still want. It wouldn't hurt to prepare a little script with the obvious questions that may arise :) Good luck.

•••
i personally wouldnt call an end user for a mid xxx sale but thats just me, i hate phone calls and would always try and close a deal via email
im not a phone person either, but when they call in my experience that means theyre really interested and will buy on the spot if its not super expensive. If you have to choose between email and no sale, or 10 min call and a sale, its an easy choice

•••
Did you contact them first? If so you better call them.

It's my experience when a client insists on a phone talk, its because the client thinks they have great phone skills and intend on talking down the price.

But you might have one of those people that just feels life easier when a deal done on the moblie.

•••
if its a call or you lose sale then might as well call afternic or email them and give phone# and they'll go from there.. if scam, they'll just delete the lead for you.

gl

•••
I'm not from the USA , but some end users want me to call. I am not good at talking or confident on call and there will be a difference in understanding their accent. Do you call them on request? how would you go about it?

See, I would call the client, feel them out, gather data. All is much easier to do via phone compared to email.
Get over your case of nerves and look at domaining as a business that requires sales tactics.

I don't know how many times I take a casual call and turn it into a sale.

YOU CAN DO IT!!
EVERY TIME IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND YOU WILL GET BETTER WITH EACH KICK AT THE CAN.

•••
Occasionally a buyer will ask me to call them. It's rare, but it happens once every month or two. It has always turned out that they just wanted to talk to a live person and make sure my phone matched the domain whois phone, etc. Most end users are not domainers, and some of them just want to go that extra mile to make sure I own the domain and it's not some scam. In every case, I just emailed them my phone number (the one in my whois), said they could call me if they liked, and I specified they had to leave a message because I don't answer numbers I don't recognize. But I say that I will call them back as soon as I receive their message.

We have always agreed on a price by email, and none of them has ever tried to negotiate the price further on the phone call. If you think your buyer wants to try haggle on the phone, just go into it already knowing the minimum price you will accept, and if they try to get you down further, don't start defending and explaining your price, just say 'Sorry that my lowest price doesn't work for you, but it is my lowest and firm', thank them and hang up. If they're haggling lower than what you have decided is your lowest price, there's no point in wasting another minute listening to their debate, you just show you're prepared to hang up and let the deal go.

Also I highly recommend getting one of those helium-filled balloons. Just before the phone call, breathe in some of that helium. Then when you talk to them you'll have that really high chipmunk voice. This is great because you actually do make contact so they know it's you... but then they have such a hard time understanding you with that voice (especially if you speak with an accent) that they quickly forget trying to haggle with you and they want to get back to email because they can understand written words better than your freaky cartoon voice. It especially helps if you scream "No, this is my final price!!!", because then they get freaked out by that high voice and they just agree to whatever price you say. This is a very valuable tip so do not ignore it.

Hope all that helps :0

Last edited:
•••
I keep all negotiations to email so I have them in writing. I will call when it comes escrow or transfer time if any issues or they need help. If someone asked me to call that's not an issue. Majority of my sales since 2003 have been direct so the more negotiating/calls ya do the more confidence you achieve and the better you become and realize that handing 15-20% to aftermarkets is kinda a waste as generally most leads arrive to wherever the domain points to and not from the aftermarket doing any form of promotion of your domains. My domains point to my own sales pages so most of the negotiating/calls have been done by myself which also builds an end user database that can sometimes be tapped for additional future sales.

Last edited:
•••
Also I highly recommend getting one of those helium-filled balloons. Just before the phone call, breathe in some of that helium. Then when you talk to them you'll have that really high chipmunk voice. This is great because you actually do make contact so they know it's you... but then they have such a hard time understanding you with that voice (especially if you speak with an accent) that they quickly forget trying to haggle with you and they want to get back to email because they can understand written words better than your freaky cartoon voice. It especially helps if you scream "No, this is my final price!!!", because then they get freaked out by that high voice and they just agree to whatever price you say. This is a very valuable tip so do not ignore it.
LOL

Seriously, there was some nice idea about forwarding the lead to Afternic or Uniregistry broker. Maybe they will even negotiate the higher price for the domain?

•••
Make the call if you think they are a legit buyer. What do you have to lose? They will buy if they want it.

•••
@namefork:
BTW, is it them reaching out to you? If yes, then you have a sort of leverage in this situation. Not meaning you should be arrogant or something like this, but you might feel more comfortable in choosing the way to proceed.

•••
Well, I had a couple of such situations :)

I usually tell the buyer that I'm living in another country/ on another continent and the call would be quite expensive. This is enough to continue the negotiation through email.

But, my last experience was very very strange and funny at the same time :xf.grin:

I sent the emails to potential buyers regarding a great 2 word, exact match domain, City+Couriers.com, for only low XXX, and in a couple of hours got a reply with "Call me". OK, sent him the standard message and was waiting for his reply. But, no reply. After a couple of days, I sent another email asking if he is still interested in that domain. His answer amused me "No, because you didn't call me". And it was one of the biggest courier company in that city, while being at the end of the list on Google... I even sent him the link to Godaddy Auctions, where I've listed the domain, and explained him that the transaction will be automatically, and it's safe... Nothing new, "you didn't call me".

So, it all depends on the buyer. Some of them understand the simple things, some are just too paranoid :) So, don't take it personal, just move forward.

Last edited:
•••

Funny :ROFL::ROFL:

•••
Personally I call " no one " however, if an interested party were to insist on a phone call I'de most likely ask ( via email ) the interested party to call me if the domain name is listed with public info ( not private ) on whois.

I personally would request the " real name " of the in-calling party and a few other particulars prior to the call.

You have received lots of good advice and the idea of having a few pertinent notes available to refer to during your call is a good idea.

•••
Well, I had a couple of such situations :)

I usually tell the buyer that I'm living in another country/ on another continent and the call would be quite expensive. This is enough to continue the negotiation through email.

But, my last experience was very very strange and funny at the same time :xf.grin:

I sent the emails to potential buyers regarding a great 2 word, exact match domain, City+Couriers.com, for only low XXX, and in a couple of hours got a reply with "Call me". OK, sent him the standard message and was waiting for his reply. But, no reply. After a couple of days, I sent another email asking if he is still interested in that domain. His answer amused me "No, because you didn't call me". And it was one of the biggest courier company in that city, while being at the end of the list on Google... I even sent him the link to Godaddy Auctions, where I've listed the domain, and explained him that the transaction will be automatically, and it's safe... Nothing new, "you didn't call me".

So, it all depends on the buyer. Some of them understand the simple things, some are just too paranoid :) So, don't take it personal, just move forward.

There is a similar situation with the 3rd richest person in the world - the video is on YouTube where Warren buffet was waiting on an urgent phone call but was sent a text which Warren didn't check because he was waiting for a phone call

•••
I still prefer the straight forward no bull way

Anyone in sales (including domaining) needs to realize they are selling a product. If you don't work it you will lose sales. Companies spend millions to get potential clients to come into stores. Now what we will do is we will just ignore them when they come in right?

I say work it, from every angle. If someone wants to skype, I will skype. Want to call me go ahead, or I will call you.

At the end of the day the hustler who answers email, calls, letters... whatever it may be will end up being the top salesman. Want to bet?? I was top salesman as long as I was selling Mercedes-Benz cars. I sold everyone under the table.... imagine if I did not return a call, I would lose a huge commission.

Domaining is no different, I am selling a product, damn sure I am going to make contact any way the potential client wants.

•••
If they want you to call, call.

In my case, often times when people wanted to schedule a call, they eventually skipped it and continued the deal via email, so you might not even have to call them after all, but they definitely need your willingness to do it.

Don't postpone. Do it. Do it now!

•••
Good points above, we are in sales.

•••
I never call on deals below $5000. And when they ask for a call. I tell them. Sorry too busy for that but if your'e intersted this is the price. Transaction will be conducted via Escrow.com so it's secure. Have a nice day.

•••
If the buyer owns the trademark (you can check it out on http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/), they will provide the fact that YOU called them, in court to sue you for blackmailing, be careful.

Last edited:
•••
Enough of all the speculation. You could ask him directly by email why does he want you to call him directly, for stuff that can be handled in 1 email. For a domain costing only $XXX (whatever you have quoted him). If he just want to have a chat on the phone. He should call you. But price and escrow are non-negotiable.

Assuming he is from US. You should of course first check with USPTO if there are any registered trademarks with your keywords, owned by him.

Last edited:
•••
You can always find another buyer. :-P Is this sale really worth so much of your time?

•••
I understand your hesitation to call based on the communication obstacles you have mentioned. However, I think the approach should always be to call the end-user if he or she wants a call.

I would discourage you from asking them why they want a call, because the reason for their request is precisely to establish whether this is a real offer or a scam. You putting obstacles to the call would make them suspicious and might make you lose the sale.

Whenever an end-user ask me to call them, I do exactly that. This gives them confidence. I live in the US and have no problem calling, but if I were in your situation I would find someone (a friend or family member) who could communicate with the end-user and give them a call. Calls these days cost nothing. Even if you have to pay a few dollars, it would be worth it.

Last edited:
•••
Hesitant to call because of language barrier? That's okay. As long as you understand their language, English or whatever, you can still make a communication. They will understand that you're from a different nationality so there would perhaps be repetition of words or phrases but in the end everything would be fine.

I guess the buyer might just want to verify your real identity or might want to haggle with the price or might have some questions to make which he wants to have immediate answers. Or maybe he simply wants his ego to be uplifted by giving him your special time and provide him with some sort of importance. Your interest and eagerness to call him might be a plus factor for him to make the deal.

It would be best to call that guy imo. At least, this is just one way to sharpen your sales competence. It would still be a win situation for you because consider it as a good training ground to articulate your communication skills. It might be awkward in the beginning but hey, everything needs to be learned gradually till he becomes a master.

"Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person." Albert Einstein

•••
It would be best to call that guy imo. At least, this is just one way to sharpen your sales competence. It would still be a win situation for you because consider it as a good training ground to articulate your communication skills. It might be awkward in the beginning but hey, everything needs to be learned gradually till he becomes a master

I think based on what the OP said (he said something about "a difference in understanding their accent), he might be afraid of being stereotyped. It doesn't necessarily mean he has bad communication skills. It's just a reminder that stereotypes can be strong.

For example, this person is trying to be helpful. But the statement below would only make the situation worse.

That is easy :)
You can write something like this:
" Sorry but I can not call you or take call from you, I am serious domainer and I have little firm so I need everything on the paper, all sales which I made i need a proof for my books becouse I need to pay tax. I hope you will understand. However this is much better for both sides. Everybody is secure and have some writing proofs for the future. "

What's the first thing you picture when you read this statement? It's probably, "that's a wannabe domainer in a foreign country." To be fair, it does remind you of scammers a bit too. Stereotypes are hard to avoid.

And it's not just those in foreign countries that have this issue. Do you stutter? Lack of confidence. Do you use "uh" to fill in gaps while you're thinking? Lack of intelligence/communication skills. Stereotypes can be harsh and annoying. But that's the world we in.

•••
You could have called him by now :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back