IT.COM

Email to original eNom customers: GET LOST

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've been with eNom through thick and thin from nearly their beginning, and have spend well over $1 million over the years. After some tech issues they refused to fix a few years ago, I move many of my domains to another registrar, but left 1,500 domains at eNom.

Today I received an email from them saying that all accounts will have to continuously spend $100,000 with them per year to get stay in the better pricing classification AND that I will be dropped to one of their highest pricing categories in 30 days!

It's like someone took a class on how to do great business and retain customers, and they have chosen to do the EXACT OPPOSITE.

Time to start collecting those auth codes and putting those xfer requests in.... BYE ENOM!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We have used enom as our primary domain vendor since 2005 and over the last 13 years have spent more than a seven figure amount with them.

They recently increased the 'Refill Convenience Charge' by 67%. We additionally found out today that we are in a bracket that increases our per domain charge by 15%. Combined the changes significantly impact our margin.

The length of our business relationship and the amount of money we have spent means nothing. The platform is buggy (we currently cannot register .info domains - they recommend we register them through another registrar!) and getting support is as bad as it can be. We routinely wait 30+ minutes to speak to a support rep and have waited as long as two hours. Today we have been on the phone with them for 3+ hours.

We would change providers but need a company with an API that supports automatic domain name registration. Anyone know someone?

•••
looks like they lost about 5 mil names up to Jan....im sure many more to come once info is updated
https://www.DomainState/registrar/enom.html
I'm disappointed with enom (and their new ownerTucows) for this short notice and huge increase in pricing so I'll be transferring out all our names. I've also had massive problems with other registrars such as Moniker and Fabulous which I won't be using again. NameBright looks like a viable option. Anyone using them?

your not the only one...looks like they already lost 4 mil names...at a buck a peice thats $4 mil. and this is only up to Jan 2018
https://www.DomainState/registrar/enom.html
they told me in a reply that the costs are going to the extra time needed to comply with gdrp so I guess they will have some extra relief with millions of domains they no longer have to manage. we were actually looking into their api for our customers as well so we are also looking for another api provider/reseller.

•••
Switch to Namesilo / Dynadot. You won't regret.

•••
...we were actually looking into their api for our
customers as well so we are also looking for another api provider/reseller.

Hexonet.net, has a good api, good prices.

•••
We have used enom as our primary domain vendor since 2005 and over the last 13 years have spent more than a seven figure amount with them.
With that kind of volume you should have sought registrar accreditation a long time ago.
Why bother with APIs when you can have direct EPP access ?

•••
We would change providers but need a company with an API that supports automatic domain name registration. Anyone know someone?
Namesilo and Dynadot

•••
They recently increased the 'Refill Convenience Charge' by 67%. We additionally found out today that we are in a bracket that increases our per domain charge by 15%. Combined the changes significantly impact our margin.
If it's any consolation, there is no (IN)convenience charge if you mail in a check. If that is doable for your outfit. Unless they have recently changed this policy also.

•••
Switch to Namesilo / Dynadot. You won't regret.
namesilo also bought by investment company...i chose dynadot for my personal domains.

•••
Hexonet.net, has a good api, good prices.
funny you mention hexonet...they reached out to me about switching my domains but i already decided on dynadot ...but when I tried to contact corporate there was no reply. I would love to work with them for our api just waiting for an answer.

Last edited:
•••
Definitely try Uniregistry / Dynadot for bulk domains. Best UI and great support also affordable & better pricing. Never try Epik. They are crappy and worse in terms of pricing and security.

•••
funny you mention hexonet...they reached out to me about switching my domains but i already decided on dynadot ...but when I tried to contact corporate there was no reply. I would love to work with them for our api just waiting for an answer.

I think you made an excellent choice in Dynadot.com :) Personally. I cannot think of 1 negative thing to say about them. And that's pretty unusual for a somebody as pernickety as me :)

Last edited:
•••
The best option is to have all your domains at Godaddy research suggests they are the best UI experience, customer service, prices, and more excellent then anyone else on the web!

•••
The best option is to have all your domains at Godaddy research suggests they are the best UI experience, customer service, prices, and more excellent then anyone else on the web!

You must have had a good laugh typing that :) I had a 1 minute belly laugh when I read it :) Pushing a domain takes 5 Days. Yep 5 Days. Everywhere else takes 1 minute. Yep 1 Minute. And even after 5 days, you are not sure if it's completed. Sometimes they tell you something went wrong. Please try again (for another 5 days).

Only madmen keep repeating their actions expecting a different result. The madmen are running the hen-house over at GoDaddy.

I just bought a domain in their auctions, privately. It wasn't regged at GoDaddy. When it eventually arrive in my GoDaddy account, it was locked for transfer for 6 months. The origin registrar and ICANN both said it was free to transfer. What the ....?

Last edited:
•••
You must have had a good laugh typing that :) I had a 1 minute belly laugh when I read it :) Pushing a domain takes 5 Days. Yep 5 Days. Everywhere else takes 1 minute. Yep 1 Minute. And even after 5 days, you are not sure if it's completed. Sometimes they tell you something went wrong. Please try again (for another 5 days).

Only madmen keep repeating their actions expecting a different result. The madmen are running the hen-house over at GoDaddy.

I just bought a domain in their auctions, privately. It wasn't regged at Dynadot. When it eventually arrive it was locked for transfer for 6 months. What the ....?

I've had domains at Godaddy for years, and it takes less than a minute to push a domain, and I have the option of whether to add a 60 day lock or not.

•••
I've had domains at Godaddy for years, and it takes less than a minute to push a domain, and I have the option of whether to add a 60 day lock or not.

You must have some magic dust sprinkled around. Every transfer I've done this year in or out has taken me 5 days. As a percentage. I'd say 100% of the time. But fortunately I don't use GoDaddy much.

Last edited:
•••
eMail support has got much more thin-skinned as well. GoDaddy always used to be polite, when you criticize them. They don't even check their facts before giving an ascerbic reply, these days.

•••
You must have some magic dust sprinkled around. Every transfer I've done this year in or out has taken me 5 days. As a percentage. I'd say 100% of the time. But fortunately I don't use GoDaddy much.
I will give props to your favorite register dynadot as being in 4th place of greatness, as they let me expedite my transfer-out to godaddy, between the 40 min, dynadot took to send the email after I paid godaddy then 15 min. later I got an email it was in my godaddy account. So, DD to GD in less than 1 hour, that was nice plus I opted out of the 60-day lock!

•••

That must be some kind of miracle. It takes at least 1-2 days to receive an email from GoDaddy that a transfer is underway. You approve that email and it says unauthorised approval. WTF is that all about? They sent me the email to approve the transfer, and then reject the approval?

Last edited:
•••
That must be some kind of miracle. It takes at least 1-2 days to receive an email from GoDaddy that a transfer is underway. You approve that email and it says unauthorised approval. WTF is that all about? They sent me the email to approve the transfer, and then reject the approval?
Here are the best registers in order: #1. Godaddy 2. Namesilo 3. Namecheap 4. Dynadot
Worst Registers: 1and1, register dot com, enom, net sol

Last edited:
•••
I will give props to your favorite register dynadot as being in 4th place of greatness, as they let me expedite my transfer-out to godaddy, between the 40 min, dynadot took to send the email after I paid godaddy then 15 min. later I got an email it was in my godaddy account. So, DD to GD in less than 1 hour, that was nice plus I opted out of the 60-day lock!

I think you actually had the longest time. Dynadot process these transfer in batches about every half-hour. So it can take as short as 1 minute or as long as 29 minutes. Depending on when they receive the transfer notice is received from the receiving registrar.

I regularly transfer domains from NameBright to Dynadot. Now that truly can be a 1-5 minute transfer. It's the fastest I've ever seen. like every transfer away. that included approving the transfer away. If it ever takes as long as 30 minutes. It usually means something is wrong. Which is quite a rare occurrence.

Last edited:
•••
Here are the best registers in order: #1. Godaddy 2. Namesilo 3. Namecheap 4. Dynadot
Worst Registers: 1and1, register dot com, enom, net sol

I would have only 2 points of disagreement with this analysis. Which would be 1) to put GD in the second category, but better than the 3 you mentioned. And 2) to put Dynadot first :) Godaddy's upselling never stops, also. you have to delete/turn off every little thing.

Last edited:
•••
we asked about the reseller lump sum we paid to get reseller pricing. I think it was a one time $750 fee to go from $13.50 to $9.50
Sent a support ticket 8 days ago and received this reply

They still offer a pltnum plan for $700 at $10 so I am guessing they want me to pay this again.
https://www.enom.com/reseller/domain-name-reseller-pricing-plans

Hello,

The decision was made by Tucows to re-align the pricing tiers to put resellers into similar tiers based on current volume and growth. This was done in an effort to streamline our pricing and be more transparent with our reseller model. In some cases, this results in resellers being moved from a higher to a lower tier.

We understand these types of pricing changes are not always well received, however we felt it was the best decision to make for our business and reseller customer base.

That being said, we will not be refunding any setup or enrollment fees.

Kind Regards,

Cam Cleveland

Reseller Sales

5808 Lake Washington Blvd. #201

Kirkland, WA 98033

[email protected]

•••
Godaddy's upselling never stops, also. you have to delete/turn off every little thing.
I'm no GoDaddy fanboy, but since it's the second time you said that, I will state that in my experience whenever I checkout a renewal (for example) the only mod I have to make is reduce the renewal term to 1 year instead of the default 2 years. No other upsell (by default) whatsoever.

Maybe they have modified the checkout because I will note that at one point there were a lot of annoying upsells.

•••
we asked about the reseller lump sum we paid to get reseller pricing. I think it was a one time $750 fee to go from $13.50 to $9.50
Sent a support ticket 8 days ago and received this reply

They still offer a pltnum plan for $700 at $10 so I am guessing they want me to pay this again.
And are you going to pay, or... ?

•••
And are you going to pay, or... ?
We already paid the $700 for the "discounted pricing" I certainly dont want to pay it again and also they upped the limits to domainers who spend $50k a year.. So its not even an option (I only spend about $2,200 a year on reg fees so Im not big enough)
You would need 5,000 names to spend 50k so they must be targeting hosting companies

I tried out dynadot on some recommedations of my friends at NP and Im pretty happy. No need to pay any money for discounted pricing. chat support is just as good as phone support and both are fast. enom is replying via email in about a week, requires about 20 to 30 min wait via phone and doesnt have chat support (as far as I know) Support is big when you have a bunch of domains and you buy at auctions because you may need the reg to generate an auth code or unlock a name on these names coming from auctions. Its funny but most of my auction names (backordered names ) come from these strange registrars. I have accounts on most regs I should do a review one day on phone wait price and interface and bulk update options...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back