Domain Empire

Dynadot Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all!

We’ve created this thread to make it easier to communicate with us here on Namepros, and we’ll also be posting regular updates on our offers and products. Please feel free to share any feedback and suggestions with us, or to let us know if there’s anything we can assist with.

We’d like to kick things off with an extension of our $7.99 .COM transfer sale, the code “COMTRANS4” has been extended until 23:59 PST on May 31, and there’s no limit on how many domains you can transfer using the code. Every month we have great prices on a wide selection of domains, and you can find a full list of our sales here:

https://www.dynadot.com/sales.html

We’re also excited to share that our CEO, Todd Han, will be hosting an AMA (Ask Me Anything) right here on Namepros in the near future, with more information on a date and time coming soon.

Dynadot is an ICANN accredited domain name registrar and web host headquartered in San Mateo, California. Founded in 2002 by a software engineer, our primary focus is engineering and design excellence. Our custom written, state-of-the-art domain and hosting software is stable, fast, and easy to use. From humble beginnings, we have grown steadily and now are home to over 2.6 million domains.

Our goal is to provide our customers with world class registration and hosting services for a reasonable price. Most of our site is fully automated, allowing us to offer some of the lowest prices in the industry. At the same time we strive to provide excellent customer service, and helpful responses to all questions. If anything is not to your satisfaction, feel free to contact us, and we will do our best to resolve the situation.

We individually respond to every email we receive - no cut and paste responses. Customer service is handled by highly trained customer service representatives that work closely with our software engineers, so you are likely to get an intelligent response to your question.

Contact information:
Live chat support: https://www.dynadot.com/chat/login_resp.html
Email support: [email protected]
North American phone support: +1.866-262-3399 (toll free) and +1.650-262-0100
Chinese phone support: 400 803 5591
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sudden denial of transfer for expired domains by Dynadot.

DRt8CQ8.png

The response does not make any sense but I decided not to bother the support person further (as its likely not their decision anyway) and ask about it here instead. Why is a domain in the "expired" status within the 30 days period can not be transferred out now?
They recently announced this new policy relating to expired names. But it doesn't seem to relate to your names if they're only 28 days into the renewal grace period...

We're writing to let you know about an important change we're making to our renewal and transfer policies. These changes will go into effect on September 18, 2023 00:00 UTC. Thus, domain names that expire on the effective date and those expiring thereafter will be under the new policies.

Renewal Changes:

• The renewal grace period will be changed from 40 days to 30 days.
  • After day 30, the domain can only be restored at the TLDs restore price.
  • The existing $10 late renewal fee will no longer be applicable.
Transfer Changes:
  • After day 30 of the expiration date, domain names must be restored at the TLDs restore price before they can be transferred out.
If you have any questions regarding the new renewal and transfer policies, feel free to contact us through our support channels and we'll be happy to help. Please note this mailbox isn't monitored.

All the best,
Dynadot

•••

DRt8CQ8.png

The response does not make any sense but I decided not to bother the support person further (as its likely not their decision anyway) and ask about it here instead. Why is a domain in the "expired" status within the 30 days period can not be transferred out now?
Hello, there may have been a misunderstanding from the support agent there, as you're for sure allowed to transfer out before the 30 day mark! Please DM your username and the domains you would like to transfer in question and I will investigate for you!

•••
Hello @calebdynadot i have an idea for domain portfolio on Dynadot - add custom logos or images to domains selling on Dynadot marketplace like this:

Screenshot_20231121_160053_Samsung Internet.jpg

How the same portfolio looks on Dynadot :

Screenshot_20231121_160207_Samsung Internet.jpg

Showcase with logos could bring more leads and sales.

Last edited:
•••
It would be great to poin OTHER DOMAINS to beautiful Dynadot marketplace landing page.

•••
•••
Forsale landing page needs improvements:

1. There are both "Request Support" link (top right) and "Contact us" link (in the middle). It is misleading for an enduser, as he is presented with 2 links for the same purpose.

2. I visited forsale page, learned that the domain is for sale. Fine. I then clicked "more" close to payment methods logos, another page opened, and I found what other payment methods are available. So far, all good. Now, I want to purchase the domain. Since I leaved the forsale page after my last click, I pressed my browsers "back" button. Now there is a problem. I do NOT see forsale page. What I see is:
Firefox:
"Document Expired
This document is no longer available.
The requested document is not available in Firefox’s cache.
As a security precaution, Firefox does not automatically re-request sensitive documents.
Click Try Again to re-request the document from the website."
Chrome:
"Confirm Form Resubmission. This webpage requires data that you entered earlier in order to be properly displayed. You can send this data again, but by doing so you will repeat any action this page previously performed.
Press the reload button to resubmit the data needed to load the page.
ERR_CACHE_MISS".
How to reproduce: clear all cookies, and visit any forsale domain.

3. Dynadot might want to stop accepting American Express card for aftermarket sales. Amex is known to accept any chargeback request with little or no questions asked. It is harder to "fight" amex chargebacks. And, it is generally more expensive to process amex cards. On the other hand, amex cardholder normally has access to other cards as well, so no sales would be lost.

4. Domaining .com and namepros logos (bottom part of forsale page) serve no purpose for an enduser - aftermarket buyer. He does not know what are these logos about. Moreover, should he decide to check lets say domaining .com - he will find that dynadot simply paid for a listing and for an opportunity to display the logo. How it helps aftermarket sales? Also, neither logo looks good/readable on the current html background.

5. HTML code needs to be reviewed. I spot checked and noticed, for example: the webpage claims that it is using Open Graph protocol (og="http://ogp.me/ns#), but no actual opengraph properties (type, image, title, etc) can be found. "X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" is outdated. And, just check the page on https://validator.w3.org (Markup Validation Service) - it will show a bunch of errors. Dynadot blocks access for the validator, so it would work via copypasting html code only.

Last edited:
•••
Forsale landing page needs improvements:

1. There are both "Request Support" link (top right) and "Contact us" link (in the middle). It is misleading for an enduser, as he is presented with 2 links for the same purpose.

2. I visited forsale page, learned that the domain is for sale. Fine. I then clicked "more" close to payment methods logos, another page opened, and I found what other payment methods are available. So far, all good. Now, I want to purchase the domain. Since I leaved the forsale page after my last click, I pressed my browsers "back" button. Now there is a problem. I do NOT see forsale page. What I see is:
Firefox:
"Document Expired
This document is no longer available.
The requested document is not available in Firefox’s cache.
As a security precaution, Firefox does not automatically re-request sensitive documents.
Click Try Again to re-request the document from the website."
Chrome:
"Confirm Form Resubmission. This webpage requires data that you entered earlier in order to be properly displayed. You can send this data again, but by doing so you will repeat any action this page previously performed.
Press the reload button to resubmit the data needed to load the page.
ERR_CACHE_MISS".
How to reproduce: clear all cookies, and visit any forsale domain.
We're currently working on re-vamping our Landing Pages, so I will certainly pass your thoughts on to the team on how we can further improve it.
3. Dynadot might want to stop accepting American Express card for aftermarket sales. Amex is known to accept any chargeback request with little or no questions asked. It is harder to "fight" amex chargebacks. And, it is generally more expensive to process amex cards. On the other hand, amex cardholder normally has access to other cards as well, so no sales would be lost.
We've been slowly adding more and more payment methods, so I'm not sure if the team would go for removing a well established Payment method like Amex, as tons of users and potential buyers do rely on Amex for making most of their payments. I appreciate the feedback regardless!

•••
We've been slowly adding more and more payment methods
Great! Please add googlepay then. Dynadot already supports competing Apple Pay, so there are no reasons not to offer both...

•••
Great! Please add googlepay then. Dynadot already supports competing Apple Pay, so there are no reasons not to offer both...
I believe we're currently looking into adding that! If we do, it might not be until next year.

•••
@calebdynadot so Dynadot now scams people with their TOS. So you take redemption price to restore a domain while the domain didn't even leave renewal grace period yet. And you also won't let the domain transfer to another registrar and this is breach of ICANN transfer policy. Your own policy clearly can not supersede ICANN and the registries policy (Verisign in this case).

I have confirmed with Verisign explicitly although I can clearly see the whois record.

Verisign:

As per whois information below, the domain name in question is NOT in redemption period. Please reach out to the registrar for further assistance.

Dynadot:
Unfortunately, Domains that have entered the "Redemption Period" will need to be restored before they can be transferred. Here is the help file for your reference,

Last edited:
•••
@Dynadot changed their unlock domain system to PIN, which is your birthday's MMDD; if Birthday is February 4, then your pin is 0204, but they didn't notice or alert the customer.

I chat with customer support agent, Clara Wooly. she said,

We apologise for the confusion! Recently, we have switched our account unlocking process from the birth date to the security PIN. Your PIN consists of 4 digits, which used to be your birth date, following this format mmdd. For example, the 4th of February would now be converted to the PIN number 0204.

We are really sorry about all the confusion that has been caused. There were some communication issues, and the emails were sadly not sent out in a timely manner as we wanted. We assure you that we will never let something similar happen again.

Last edited:
•••
If so, it is a bad change. Dynadot, please do not forget that not all your customers are in US. Many non-US customers would write the 4th of Feb. as 0402, not 0204! Also: meters not inches, Celsius not Fahrenheit, but it is another story. If it works don't fix it!

Last edited:
•••
@Dynadot changed their unlock domain system to PIN, which is your birthday's MMDD; if Birthday is February 4, then your pin is 0204, but they didn't notice or alert the customer.

I chat with customer support agent, Clara Wooly. she said,

We apologise for the confusion! Recently, we have switched our account unlocking process from the birth date to the security PIN. Your PIN consists of 4 digits, which used to be your birth date, following this format mmdd. For example, the 4th of February would now be converted to the PIN number 0204.

We are really sorry about all the confusion that has been caused. There were some communication issues, and the emails were sadly not sent out in a timely manner as we wanted. We assure you that we will never let something similar happen again.
This really should have been communicated to customers. I quite liked the "birthday" function. Not sure why it had to change.

•••

DRt8CQ8.png

You should ask them and they should make known exactly the last day during grace period when we can transfer is.

•••
Hey Everyone,

I do apologize for the sudden change, we had a slight internal miscommunication error so this was launched before our team was able to send the word to out to accounts. Our team has just sent out the notification so you should see that soon!

As stated earlier, by Default the PIN is your Birthdate in MMDD format (If your BD is 10/04 would make it 1004), however you are free to change the PIN to any combination you wish the same way as a Reset Birthdate request.

I appreciate the feedback and will pass it along to my team. Again, I'm very sorry for any issues this caused!

-Caleb

•••
You should ask them and they should make known exactly the last day during grace period when we can transfer is.
We originally had kept it at 28 days to keep in line with our previous 38, but we have decided to remove the distinction and you can now unlock and transfer out to day 30!

•••
Good thing this is being made right but I wish there is one more thing, please enable us to transfer expired domains without having to contact support every single time. Not sure what is the benefit for the registrar to have their support bothered with such trivial things and there is certainly no benefit for us registrants.

•••
Good thing this is being made right but I wish there is one more thing, please enable us to transfer expired domains without having to contact support every single time. Not sure what is the benefit for the registrar to have their support bothered with such trivial things and there is certainly no benefit for us registrants.
I'll bring that up with the team for discussion!

•••
you are free to change the PIN to any combination you wish
Sorry Caleb, where do I make that change? The only PIN I can find listed in my account is the 'Customer PIN' which is auto-generated... Thanks

•••
•••
Sorry Caleb, where do I make that change? The only PIN I can find listed in my account is the 'Customer PIN' which is auto-generated... Thanks
I had the same question and found the same and only PIN path that you did, NicTraders. The answer at this point is not elegant and Dynadot's communications were not clear in their email. According to their support when I asked exactly that:

"No worries, you would do these steps:
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/submit-forgot-security-pin"

So you have to use the Forgot/Lost path. There is not a change Security PIN option at this time.

•••
Hello. Dynadot are you planning to develop landing page for OTHER DOMAINS (Dynadot marketplace listings registered at another registrar)..?

Last edited:
•••
Hello. Dynadot are you planning to develop landing page for OTHER DOMAINS (Dynadot marketplace listings registered at another registrar)..?
Hello, this has been added already! Are you not getting the option currently on domains listed in the 'Other Registrar' tab?

•••
Hello, this has been added already! Are you not getting the option currently on domains listed in the 'Other Registrar' tab?
When added? I tried domains not loading. Currently i am on third party platform.

•••
When added? I tried domains not loading. Currently i am on third party platform.
You should be able to enable the landing page when you're on the "Other Registrar" Tab in your "Manage Domains" Section on the Dynadot interface. If it's not showing up for you, Please DM me your username and the domain(s) you're trying to set with the Landing Page so I can take a look!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back