Domain Empire

Dynadot Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all!

We’ve created this thread to make it easier to communicate with us here on Namepros, and we’ll also be posting regular updates on our offers and products. Please feel free to share any feedback and suggestions with us, or to let us know if there’s anything we can assist with.

We’d like to kick things off with an extension of our $7.99 .COM transfer sale, the code “COMTRANS4” has been extended until 23:59 PST on May 31, and there’s no limit on how many domains you can transfer using the code. Every month we have great prices on a wide selection of domains, and you can find a full list of our sales here:

https://www.dynadot.com/sales.html

We’re also excited to share that our CEO, Todd Han, will be hosting an AMA (Ask Me Anything) right here on Namepros in the near future, with more information on a date and time coming soon.

Dynadot is an ICANN accredited domain name registrar and web host headquartered in San Mateo, California. Founded in 2002 by a software engineer, our primary focus is engineering and design excellence. Our custom written, state-of-the-art domain and hosting software is stable, fast, and easy to use. From humble beginnings, we have grown steadily and now are home to over 2.6 million domains.

Our goal is to provide our customers with world class registration and hosting services for a reasonable price. Most of our site is fully automated, allowing us to offer some of the lowest prices in the industry. At the same time we strive to provide excellent customer service, and helpful responses to all questions. If anything is not to your satisfaction, feel free to contact us, and we will do our best to resolve the situation.

We individually respond to every email we receive - no cut and paste responses. Customer service is handled by highly trained customer service representatives that work closely with our software engineers, so you are likely to get an intelligent response to your question.

Contact information:
Live chat support: https://www.dynadot.com/chat/login_resp.html
Email support: [email protected]
North American phone support: +1.866-262-3399 (toll free) and +1.650-262-0100
Chinese phone support: 400 803 5591
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guys, Did you see a registrar that hide the number of backorders after domain released to auction? They make sure no one can know how much people that backorder the name after its release to auction. It's Dynadot of course. I can't imagine every domain I backorder goes to auction somehow even no one else backorder as me.

and why can it start the auction at higher price than the backorder price? if no one bids, who gets it? 'somewhere' I saw that domains with multiple backorders are sent to auction. how else can one tell if there are multiple backorders?
Only backordered domains with more than one request are listed in our backorder auctions, for any other domains that we successfully catch the user whom requested the domain would automatically have an order created within their account with no auction required. When a backorder auction is held, the first user to have placed a backorder request will automatically have a bid placed at the backorder starting price and this shouldn't be higher than the starting price. There's some more information on how our backorder auctions work here:

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/backorder-auction

If you do come across any backorder auctions that seem to be starting at a higher price than usual please let us know and we can look into those.

•••
@Dynadot have you ever considered making it a little easier to transfer/push domains to other Dynadot accounts? The way it is now, it's not difficult for those who are familiar w/ the "forum name" requirement for transfer... but to be honest for newbies & non-domainers wouldn't it just be way easier if we could use their associated Dynadot account EMAIL ADDRESS to transfer/push domains to their Dynadot account? It's one less hoop to jump through for new domain/site buyers who want a friction free transfer of site/domains.

Another idea to make it super easy for transfers between Dynadot accounts > Put a request to transfer domain link in the Dynadot dashboard. Where a user can initiate a request for a domain to be transferred to them from another Dynadot account. So for example, user can click on "request transfer", user submits the domain name (thedomainibought.com), Dynadot then sends email to the domain owner/seller, seller approves the transfer/push request from the other user. This could be a really useful feature and cut down on time required explaining to people how to find their forum name, etc...

Any thoughts on these suggestions?
Thanks
Thank you for the feedback, our team are always looking to optimize our systems but at this time we are unable to use the account's email address for domain pushes, as multiple accounts can be registered to the same email address and the email address can also be used as identifying information when contacting our live chat team. As a result, the email address associated with your account shouldn't be shared with any other users.

We did previously support 'pull' requests, which allowed the receiving user to request a domain name from the current owner, but this feature was discontinued earlier this year to minimize the risk of fraudulent pull requests and pull requests being accepted by mistake, as we are unable to reverse a push or pull request once both parties have accepted the request.

•••
Thank you for the feedback, our team are always looking to optimize our systems but at this time we are unable to use the account's email address for domain pushes, as multiple accounts can be registered to the same email address and the email address can also be used as identifying information when contacting our live chat team. As a result, the email address associated with your account shouldn't be shared with any other users.

We did previously support 'pull' requests, which allowed the receiving user to request a domain name from the current owner, but this feature was discontinued earlier this year to minimize the risk of fraudulent pull requests and pull requests being accepted by mistake, as we are unable to reverse a push or pull request once both parties have accepted the request.
Ok, thanks for the info.

How about an auth code for pushes? Similar as when transferring to new owner at another register, but in this case the pusher could give the auth code for internal transfer to the new domain owner. Just a thought. There must be a simpler way than the forum name method.

•••
Ok, thanks for the info.

How about an auth code for pushes? Similar as when transferring to new owner at another register, but in this case the pusher could give the auth code for internal transfer to the new domain owner. Just a thought. There must be a simpler way than the forum name method.
Thank you for the suggestion, I've had that passed on to our team.

•••
Happy Holidays, Dynadot! Ty for being there for my domaining needs. :)

•••
Hi friends,

I'd like to report my experience with Dynadot:

I purchased a name in a Dynadot auction.

The sale finalized and was transferred to my account, and I became the full, legal owner of the domain.

I was the full, legal owner name of this name for several weeks. I invested time and money to manage and market the name during this time.

After 3 weeks of being the full, legal owner of the name, Dynadot suddenly stole the domain from my account and claimed the auction had been a "mistake".

Dynadot did refund my purchase and give me a small account credit, however it is very disturbing to me that a registrar would dip into someone's account with no notice and steal a domain. As far as I can tell, this is outright theft of private property.

Further, Dynadot has refused to show me any evidence to support their claim that the auction had been a mistake, and they have refused to communicate with me on this matter beyond a superficial apology. I even sent a message to Todd Han, Founder of Dynadot, which was ignored.

I reported this domain theft to ICANN.

Dynadot's refusal to communicate with me and share documented evidence for removing my domain is even more disturbing.

It's behavior I would expect from a crime syndicate, not a registrar.

If Dynadot could take a name from my account with no notice, the same thing could happen to all of you. Believe me, it's not pleasant.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
It seems @Dynadot will ignore my post above as they have ignored all my other attempts at communication to resolve this problem in a friendly way.

Dynadot seems to believe the best way to get away with a crime is to simply ignore the victim and hope he goes away.

If the NamePros community doesn't join in and ask Dynadot to be accountable for this domain theft, at least this theft is now on public record and available for everyone to see.

Would Dynadot approve if a bank dipped into its business account and stole $50,000 without its consent? I think not. But apparently, they believe they can do this to me without any evidence-based justification.

The same could happen to any Dynadot account holder. This concerns us all.

•••
Dynadot needs to make an easier way to push/transfer domains to other Dynadot accounts. The current method of asking the recipient to provide their forum name is not easy for noobies to Dynadot. There should be a way Dynadot users can request a transfer of domain to their account or an easier way for sellers to initiate a push to the buyers Dynadot account.

•••
Can't add domains to the watchlist on Expired domain auctions. Tried with Firefox and Chrome.

•••
it may have been discussed before, but i'll ask anyway. i am trying to add godaddy txt record but can't when pointing to outside ns. what dynadot ns can i set to in order to have the gd txt accepted? i tried dynadot parking and ns100 and 101 but no good.

•••
deleted

Last edited:
•••
We're sorry for the downtime, unfortunately, we are still experiencing DDoS attacks and our engineers are currently focused on restoring a stable connection to our servers as soon as possible.

•••
Can't add domains to the watchlist on Expired domain auctions. Tried with Firefox and Chrome.
I'm sorry to hear that, our team has been working on resolving some watchlist bugs recently, are you still experiencing this bug? If so, could you please contact us via PM or email with your Dynadot username and an example or examples of the domains that you are unable to add? Thank you.

•••
it may have been discussed before, but i'll ask anyway. i am trying to add godaddy txt record but can't when pointing to outside ns. what dynadot ns can i set to in order to have the gd txt accepted? i tried dynadot parking and ns100 and 101 but no good.
To add a TXT record to your domain you would just need to follow the steps in the guide linked below and our system will then automatically set your domain to use our name servers. Manually setting a domain to use our name servers would cause an error, as the domain would be pointed to our name servers but wouldn't be set to use any of our services within your account.

How do I enter a TXT record for my domain?
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/create-TXT-record

Once the TXT record has been added and your DNS settings have been saved our system will move the domain over to our name servers, and it would be disconnected from your currently set third-party name servers.

•••
To add a TXT record to your domain you would just need to follow the steps in the guide linked below and our system will then automatically set your domain to use our name servers. Manually setting a domain to use our name servers would cause an error, as the domain would be pointed to our name servers but wouldn't be set to use any of our services within your account.

How do I enter a TXT record for my domain?
https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/create-TXT-record

Once the TXT record has been added and your DNS settings have been saved our system will move the domain over to our name servers, and it would be disconnected from your currently set third-party name servers.
marketplaces like this handled in different ways. when adding a txt sedo prefers the nameservers to be pointed to them. when adding a godaddy txt they prefer the nameservers to be pointed to in this case, dynadot. does dynadot have default nameservers the same way that namesilo and netsol have?

•••
We're sorry for the downtime, unfortunately, we are still experiencing DDoS attacks and our engineers are currently focused on restoring a stable connection to our servers as soon as possible.
Our team is still working on restoring access to Dynadot.com, but has confirmed that in the meantime users should be able to manage their accounts and domain names via our mobile app. Thank you to all for your patience whilst our team is working on this.

•••
marketplaces like this handled in different ways. when adding a txt sedo prefers the nameservers to be pointed to them. when adding a godaddy txt they prefer the nameservers to be pointed to in this case, dynadot. does dynadot have default nameservers the same way that namesilo and netsol have?
We do have our own name servers, ns1.dynadot.com and ns2.dynadot.com, but pointing a domain to those name servers manually doesn't allow TXT records to be added to the domain. The record would just need to be added via the DNS settings and our system would then point the domain to our Dynadot.com name servers automatically.

•••
How long does Dynadot have to take back a name that was won in auction ?

At what point does the auction winner become the full owner of the domain?

At what point is it theft, when Dynadot dips into an owner's account and grabs a domain without the owner's permission?

Again, I had been the full owner of this domain for 3 weeks when Dynadot decided to grab it out of my account and take it without my permission.

Does Dynadot think this kind of theft is acceptable ?

Last edited:
•••
The last two times I have logged in today, the log file says that I am logging in from an I.P. address in the U.S. But I am in Europe and not using a VPN.

Is this because of the DDoS attack? Does Cloudfare route users through them first? Sorry, I have absolutely no idea how this works...

•••
I was wondering when @Dynadot will implement crypto as one of their payment options for funding account credit and purchases? I've been using same at both Porkbun and Namecheap. The experience so far has been a breeze.

•••
Dynadot auctions being gamed by owners who bid on their own auctions with other accounts, bid the auctions up, then as soon as auction is over they renew, and list for high bidded up shill bid price. Not impressed with this practice. Put a stop to it.

•••
Not to heap on the pain but I recently took part in a Dynadot auction and initially did not win the domain.

There were only two bidders in this auction. Myself and one other bidder.

Unfortunately the other bidder did not pay so I was then crowned the winner as the second highest bidder (and only other bidder).

I was surprised when I was asked to pay my full proxy bid even though it was a 'fake' buyer who bid this auction up.

I was then told my account would be banned if I did not pay.

As many complaints as there are about GoDaddy at least they roll back to the lowest real bid, but this is obviously not how it works at Dynadot.
Can confirm the wording of these emails, and are meant to intimidate second high bidders into forcing them to pay, when most of them are being shill bidded by a non payer. It’s a very unethical action, and wording, you know what your doing, and you continue down this path, please revise, and put a stop to it.

Last edited:
•••
A long time ago that @Dynadot visited this thread. And I haven't received any reply to my latest support ticket. Also, the automatic logout function doesn't seem to be working properly.

Am I the only one who feels not everything is perfect at Dynadot at the moment?

•••
Am I the only one who feels not everything is perfect at Dynadot at the moment?

Yes, @Embrand , I've asked @Dynadot a simple question several times in this thread and via their online support and email and have still not gotten an answer.

The simple question is: at what point do auction winners become the unqualified owner of the domain?

I ask this because Dynadot stole a domain from my account weeks after I became the legal owner, weeks after I had invested time and money in it as the legal owner.

Looking forward to an answer.

•••
Yes, @Embrand , I've asked @Dynadot a simple question several times in this thread and via their online support and email and have still not gotten an answer.

The simple question is: at what point do auction winners become the unqualified owner of the domain?

I ask this because Dynadot stole a domain from my account weeks after I became the legal owner, weeks after I had invested time and money in it as the legal owner.

Looking forward to an answer.
That certainly doesn't sound good. They need to answer these kind of questions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back