Dynadot

advice DON'T GET LOST IN WEIRD .comBINATIONS!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Hey nP members,

we all know that the TLD space has changed completely.

While we can see many creative and great domains made from new TLDs we can see much more really weird and pointless .combinations - means weird and pointless domain name combinations in the .com extension - it often just looks like that 'it must be a .com in every case - no matter how pointless the name combination itself is'.

There are now so many opportunities to 'label' meaningful domain names with a new TLD - I personally recommend .top for the optimum / best 'label' - don't think .com is the future.

DON'T GET LOST IN WEIRD .comBINATIONS!

Do you agree?
Or not?
What is your opinion?

All the best with your invest,
kingof.top

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you need a drunk, crazed or demented trillionaire to make that happen. How many are there?
Please note that this thread is not meant for my toptoptop... .top but although I want to give a short answer:

No, I will sell it only to a sober, sane and clear thinking human.
Otherwise the contract of the sale could be revoked.

And I presume that most of the billionairs are characterizable by those important points - otherwise most of them would not have reached their wealthy level I think.

OK - end of offtopic - so back to the topic ('...weird .combinations...') please.
Thx!

Last edited:
•••
~127M of these .combinations and counting...

>>> Break Room.

•••
~127M of these .combinations and counting...

>>> Break Room
And how many of them are simply parked / just waiting for a buyer / undeveloped or spammy?

•••
I don't know exactly but this percentage is significantly lower than in .top definitely.

•••
I don't know exactly but this percentage is significantly lower than in .top definitely.
Maybe in relation - but .top exists under complete other circumstances than .com were growing.

•••
Per my monitoring the best Russian keys were dropped in .top recently.
Just FYI.

•••
Per my monitoring the best Russian keys were dropped in .top recently.
Just FYI.
Thx, but I am not interested in russian keys, even if they are in .top

•••
Russians are also not interested, no demand as you see...

•••
The same keywords in .RU have value up to $1XX,XXX.

•••
It's too early to make a direct comparison between .ru and .top

>>> BREAK ROOM

•••
Ngtld's are a rather comprehensive solution to the 'overpriced .com' problem. They solved the issue so well in fact, that they undermined their own value from the off.
The new gTLDs were proposed during the height of the Domain Tasting and Kiting problem that meant that people could not get dropping domain names in COM/NET (and ORG) because the good ones were not making their way back into circulation. ICANN had to be shamed into doing something about the problem as tens of millions of domains were being registered and dropped each month without any fees going to ICANN. It also triggered the rise of the ccTLD to such an extent that many ccTLDs overtook .COM in their primary markets as the first choice TLD. It was a gainst this artificial scarcity of "good" .COMs that the new gTLDs were proposed. However ICANN did introduce a "restocking" fee for excess domains deleted in the Add Grace Period (the five day window within which a new domain can be deleted for free). That effectively killed Domain Tasting. And with that change, much of the expected demand for the new gTLDs disappeared too. The countries outside the US had their own growing ccTLD markets on which to concentrate. The US did not have a relatively strong ccTLD as the .US has been continually undermarketed and .COM is its de facto ccTLD. Thus many of the new gTLDs became primarily US focused. As has been pointed out above, many of the largest new gTLDs only occupy their positions because of discounting and free registrations. They are the domain name equivalent of junk bonds. Some of the smaller new gTLDs are actually doing a lot better than expected and have people using and developing sites on them. However they have low numbers of registrations, typically below 100K.

Free, or heavily discounted registrations have a major problem with renewals. The renewal rate for free and heavily discounted domain names in the larger gTLDs is about 5%. Unless a TLD has a good based of paid registration, the registry will keep having to run discounting and promotional offers to keep the new registrations ahead of the drops. And then there are new gTLDs like .top. It has become a pseudo-ccTLD because of its domination by Chinese registrations. No hoping that it will become a global TLD will change that reality. Western domainers need to understand that the dynamics that govern a ccTLD are not the same as those that govern a global gTLD.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
•••
Some of the smaller new gTLDs are actually doing a lot better than expected and have people using and developing sites on them. However the have low numbers of registrations, typically below 100K.

There have been some notable exceptions but by and large we're talking about real local businesses making use of these.

I realise my post is very generalised but between the lot of them, nobody marketing a ngtld has persuaded a major customer facing website to use one. I'm talking about a 90% penetration booking.yeeeeah kind of campaign. With all the money being thrown about I can't believe the only .somethingelse I've seen advertised globally and effectively actually doesn't even exist....

•••
There have been some notable exceptions but by and large we're talking about real local businesses making use of these.
There has been a trend for local businesses to use the local ccTLD and that has been gathering momentum over the last ten years or so. People don't have to remember the ccTLD because it is "their" ccTLD. Think of it in the way someone will, in real life, say what city or town they are from to others in the same country. They don't have to add the country name. That's the kind of community that some of these new gTLDs have to build in that people will start identifying with the new gTLD as "their" gTLD.

I realise my post is very generalised but between the lot of them, nobody marketing a ngtld has persuaded a major customer facing website to use one. I'm talking about a 90% penetration booking.yeeeeah kind of campaign. With all the money being thrown about I can't believe the only .somethingelse I've seen advertised globally and effectively actually doesn't even exist....
That was a funny advert. :) The problem that the new gTLDs face at a country level (outside the US) is that the domain footprint for most countries is dominated (>80%) by .ccTLD and .COM. The new gTLDs are struggling for a foothold against the main players in these markets. Just to use Ireland as an example, apart from the .IE ccTLD, the second biggest ccTLD in the market is .UK (approximately 32K) followed by .EU (approximately 15K). The new gTLDs (approx 5K) are competing with .ORG (approx 9K) and .INFO (approx 3K) for a share of the market.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Technology develops fast, and no one knows for sure what it be like years later, so maybe one day, we would laugh at how childish we once were day in and day out arguing over a few letters right side of a dot.

•••
The only one tech-change for the last 30 years: IPv6.

•••
This is just a new business for ICANN... no more.

•••
Technology develops fast, and no one knows for sure what it be like years later, so maybe one day, we would laugh at how childish we once were day in and day out arguing over a few letters right side of a dot.
Yes, but those few letters probably will make a big difference in future - that's why I choose .top as investment.

•••
Kingof.top's whole argument:
".top will be TOP (and overtake .com) because .top is TOP"

He also practices "law of attraction" - if you believe in something unconditionally (no mater how improbable) and repeat it over and over and over again it will become reality...

•••
Kingof.top's whole argument:
".top will be TOP (and overtake .com) because .top is TOP"

He also practices "law of attraction" - if you believe in something unconditionally (no mater how improbable) and repeat it over and over and over again it will become reality...

@bluebox I can't agree 100 % with your statment above - but on the other hand I have to admit that you are indeed a talented 'observer'.

•••

if this were true domaining would have countless handreg millionaires.

•••
if this were true we would have many handreg millionaires.
You can make money from this domaining thing? :) Who knew?

Seriously though, some of these new gTLDs have major problems in terms of usage and development. If they don't get these rates up, then the values of domains won't rise and people will begin to ignore the gTLD because all the see on the gTLD is junk sites.

Regards...jmcc

•••
if this were true domaining would have countless handreg millionaires.
I said he "practices" it not that he's successful at it :rolleyes:

•••
Hey nP members,

we all know that the TLD space has changed completely.

While we can see many creative and great domains made from new TLDs we can see much more really weird and pointless .combinations - means weird and pointless domain name combinations in the .com extension - it often just looks like that 'it must be a .com in every case - no matter how pointless the name combination itself is'.

There are now so many opportunities to 'label' meaningful domain names with a new TLD - I personally recommend .top for the optimum / best 'label' - don't think .com is the future.

DON'T GET LOST IN WEIRD .comBINATIONS!

Do you agree?
Or not?
What is your opinion?

All the best with your invest,
kingof.top
I completely disagree

•••
what are your thoughts on the .ooo extension?

Cheers
Corey

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back