IT.COM

advice DON'T GET LOST IN WEIRD .comBINATIONS!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Hey nP members,

we all know that the TLD space has changed completely.

While we can see many creative and great domains made from new TLDs we can see much more really weird and pointless .combinations - means weird and pointless domain name combinations in the .com extension - it often just looks like that 'it must be a .com in every case - no matter how pointless the name combination itself is'.

There are now so many opportunities to 'label' meaningful domain names with a new TLD - I personally recommend .top for the optimum / best 'label' - don't think .com is the future.

DON'T GET LOST IN WEIRD .comBINATIONS!

Do you agree?
Or not?
What is your opinion?

All the best with your invest,
kingof.top

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can use .top with all domains.
Especially in the whole world.
Because it fits to all.
Because it makes the domain name just more valuable.
Because 'top' means 'top' which is heavily used worldwide as synonyme for 'best'.

•••
You can use .top with all domains.
Especially in the whole world.
Because it fits to all.
Because it makes the domain name just more valuable.
Because 'top' means 'top' which is heavily used worldwide as synonyme for 'best'.
At this planet dont speak just english.
Not everybody knows what does mean "top".
Also, it doesnt match with ALL combinations.
I dont tell the .top is the worst, I just say it doesnt match with all niche and terms, and it is not universal as .com, .net, .xyz

•••
At this planet dont speak just english.
Not everybody knows what does mean "top".
Also, it doesnt match with ALL combinations.
I dont tell the .top is the worst, I just say it doesnt match with all niche and terms, and it is not universal as .com, .net, .xyz

.top will become a totally universal TLD sooner or later.
I am from AUSTRIA and 'top' is well used as a term for 'best' in DE / AT / CH (german language) and other EU countries / languages.

•••
Not each combination needs to be "top" or "vip" or "best".
For what I need to use the top with AncienMayanRuins for example?
Or why NamePros will be better with .top?
.top cant be universal.
And why .top and not .vip?

•••
Not each combination needs to be "top" or "vip" or "best".
For what I need to use the top with AncienMayanRuins for example?
Or why NamePros will be better with .top?
.top cant be universal.
And why .top and not .vip?

- But it will be .top because it makes curious what's on it's website because it's the most powerful description / status / label in industry and visitors will be interested to know why this domain ends with .top

- Because ancienmayanruins.top sounds exciting.

- Because nampro.top would sound better than namepros.com.

- It will become a = turn into an universal TLD with time.

- Because .top is for all while .vip is primarely for ('very important) persons'.

Last edited:
•••
What is a .top ? i never heard of it.

•••
•••
•••
.top is a TLD accredited by ICANN and registered by people from all over the world.

.top TLD at namestat.org 1_2.png

.top TLD at namestat.org 2_2.png

•••
U gotta admit
.xyz is kicking .tops butt
Think you can catch .xyz now by end of year¿

•••
@kingof.top
Nobody here says .top is bad, but .top doesnt match with any combination and niche.
Stop to see just a short and easy spelling extension, .top doesnt mean nothing genteric and has a sense.
It is a dictionary word and does you like it or not, to be a dictionary word it cant be an universal extension.
Not every service needs to be a top service.
Also "top" in combination looks better in the beggining and not at the end of the frase.
Also it doesnt match with brabdables.

Just a few examples:
BestShow.top >> TopBestShow.com sounds better
Vioton.top (my brandable on BB) >> "top" has no sense here
CreditLoans.top >> has no sense

I dont want to tell .xyz or another new extension will beat .com, but there are more universal extension then .top

•••
@kingof.top
Nobody here says .top is bad, but .top doesnt match with any combination and niche.
Stop to see just a short and easy spelling extension, .top doesnt mean nothing genteric and has a sense.
It is a dictionary word and does you like it or not, to be a dictionary word it cant be an universal extension.
Not every service needs to be a top service.
Also "top" in combination looks better in the beggining and not at the end of the frase.
Also it doesnt match with brabdables.

Just a few examples:
BestShow.top >> TopBestShow.com sounds better
Vioton.top (my brandable on BB) >> "top" has no sense here
CreditLoans.top >> has no sense

I dont want to tell .xyz or another new extension will beat .com, but there are more universal extension then .top

@mayazir
Short note before I reply:
When reading your opening sentence 'nobody here says .top is bad...' it's funny that just
nP member @brandnow liked your post.

Anyway - I would agree with you if there would be reasons - but I can't because the opposite is the case:

.top will turn into the 'top label' and then it will fit to all.
There are so many reasons for that, but I am getting tired to repeat them.
If interested, you can find them easily by reading some of my other posts.

Also, just a few examples (I use yours):
bestshow.top >> topbestshow.com sounds like a weird .combination, dont get lost
vioton.com (your brandable on BB) >> "top" would make sense here
creditloans.top >> has sense

.top is the most universal (highest > most objective) and best extension which is possible to create.

.com as the abbrivation for commercial, which is also a dictionary word, makes it obvious that dictionary words - and, even the abbrivation of them - can turn complete into universal 'terms' by time.
.top as ultimate 3L term / TLD don't need an abbrivation and this is just another fact behind this smart global future #1 TLD

Last edited:
•••
U gotta admit
.xyz is kicking .tops butt
Think you can catch .xyz now by end of year¿
It looks like .xyz is has reached xyz's relative zenith now while .top is growing and will be top.
Of course I think .top will catch .xyz by end of year¡

Last edited:
•••
There is a weakenss with .top in that many of the sites are low quality affiliate landers. Such domains do not tend to be renewed if they don't generate sufficient revenue. (The effect of affiliate landers in the new gTLDs is so apparent that I've had to add a new web site category in the web usage surveys.) Landers are not developed websites. The hardest part of categorising web usage and development in .top is translating Chinese. There seems to be very little European, North American or Australia/New Zealand development activity in the TLD.

Regards...jmcc

•••
While I see .top for just 1 % as a chinese TLD (the origin doesn't really matter in case of a non ccTLD) I see it for 99 % as a global used 3L word for a term which is used nearly everywhere as a term for Super! / I like it! (That's top!) / Great! / ... without any confusion.

Thats why .top sounds and fits perfect as an extension for all domains in all languages all over the world.

Last edited:
•••
But it is not a global TLD. Its primary market is the Chinese market. It is not clear if it will break out of that market and gain North American/European/Oceania registrations in significant volume.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Even if .top will become one of popular new extension, it will be just one of some popular new extension.
When I say I preffer .xyz I dont mean it will beat .com
No extension will beat .com
But I see .xyz as a good alternative for small business sites, blog and forums.
The same thing with .online, .club and a few more, but .xyz is more universal.
I also see a good new extension for small, medium and maybe high business sites and for blog and forums, but something like travel.agency, chicago.insurance, and so on.
And .top I see just for traffic or short domain investors but not for developed website for business and projects.
I dont feel "top" matching with something more. The unique "top" combination I know is tip.top

•••
Most new extensions are struggling to find a market.
At least .top found one: spam :)

•••
Just talked with Alpnames... they answered me...
These .top/.gdn/.club/.stream pricetabs which are displayed on their main page - are paid by Registries.
So all other args are completely theoretical, as already said above.

•••
Just talked with Alpnames... they answered me...
These .top/.gdn/.club/.stream pricetabs which are displayed on their main page - are paid by Registries.
So all other args are completely theoretical, as already said above.

This is something that many domainers don't realise the leading(according to registrations) extensions like .top, .xyz, .gdn have so many registrations not because they are so popular but simply because:

1.They pay registrars to display their extension on the homepage so that everyone who is looking to register a domain can see them.

2. They have incredibly low prices somewhere between $0.2-$1.

So this is popularity and demand that is purely artificial and that has been paid for. And likely they lose money doing that!

The extensions that are on top of the registrations charts are there because they paid for it. Not because people like them so much.

•••
Most new extensions are struggling to find a market.
At least .top found one: spam :)

and eccentric billionaires.

•••
Last edited:
•••
This is something that many domainers don't realise the leading(according to registrations) extensions like .top, .xyz, .gdn have so many registrations not because they are so popular but simply because:
1.They pay registrars to display their extension on the homepage so that everyone who is looking to register a domain can see them.
2. They have incredibly low prices somewhere between $0.2-$1.
So this is popularity and demand that is purely artificial and that has been paid for. And likely they lose money doing that!
The extensions that are on top of the registrations charts are there because they paid for it. Not because people like them so much.
I never look at statistics, but it is logic that some new extensions are good alternative.
But the extension must be generic as .xyz or match with the domain name.
.express, .online, shop, web, website, insurance and more cant be used with any domain name.
OK, .com is comercial, but for 99% of user .com is just .com, the domain name extension.
.net, org, biz, info and ccTLD also are known by users.
.top will never become more popular than .com, .net, .biz, .org and .info.
At least for my personal projects I check the first .com, after that .net and .info and just after try .xyz as the most universal between all new extensions..
And of couse if I see any extension that could be used as "domain hack" and match the idea of my website I will use it.

Between .com, net, .biz, .org, .info, ccTLD and .top there are a lot of good new gTLD...
.com, net, .biz, .org, .info, ccTLD
too much good new gTLD
.top

•••
A few years ago, in the UK, there was a shortage of plumbers. One particular job add was offering the equivalent of $100,000 a year for one.

As a result, everybody wanted to be a plumber. Training schemes were springing up everywhere and people put down their pens and picked up plungers! The outcome- nowadays plumbers don't earn so much.

Therefore, one must be very careful when solving problems.

Ngtld's are a rather comprehensive solution to the 'overpriced .com' problem. They solved the issue so well in fact, that they undermined their own value from the off. Anyone going to register a domain name now suffers from sensory overload. There are many options available and little guidance on which might be the most appropriate. Doubt and confusion are rarely emotions that open wallets.

Weird .combinations, as the OP puts it, aren't ideal. But users know they rank, know what it costs to renew them and know you can build a successful business on them. Not nearly enough is being done for ngtld's in these three areas.

As many will know I'm actually a ngtld supporter. But I must criticise where criticism is proper.

Right now it's a mess, heading towards a disaster.

•••
And those which are creating virtual status symbols (domains) for (yes, possibly eccentric) billionaires.

Today in my country's (Austria) mainstream news:
http://oesterreich.orf.at/stories/2776470

A list of the richest (just) Austrian's billionaires.

you need a drunk, crazed or demented trillionaire to make that happen. How many are there?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back