Dynadot

analysis Domaining should be restricted to the over 50's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Easy with the negative downvotes whoever you are.
I disagree with Bailey, and still gave him +3 to neutralize your anonymous negative 3.

Cheers!

•••
And cheers to you Samer. I actually think it's a valid discussion to be had . Where do the creative and recognition of good domains stand in regard age of the registrant. It's certainly a very influencing aspect. Sure we would all love to register that great start-up name. But, is there real market awareness missing for some.
PS I don't mind a few down-votes. Just don't wipe my good standing out please. There should be a valid argument for the young creative mind but I'm not genuinely sure there is.

Last edited:
•••
I agree and disagree with you.
Agree because I jumped in the domain business just 1 month ago and rushed buying domains that now I understand are useless.
Youngsters can learn too, but that’s up to them. It takes time and effort and not many of them are willing to do that I suppose.
Have a nice day !

•••
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Not the age is problem
Financial is the problem
If don't have financial stability stay away from domaining
Need to have a permanent job , a company etc..

•••
Let's make it a 100 for good measure. If you survived that long, you'll surely find your way around domains.

•••
Everything in life is the same. Its just experience. Older people's experience is good for stability but the youths wrecklessness is good for innovation. Experience is gained from our mistakes.

•••
Hi

it's all about the food.

older folks ate slower cooked meals.
they sat and waited for it to be prepared.
they "talked" at the table, instead of everyone looking at their phones and texting

meanwhile the young gen are on fast foods.
they eat, while talking on phones or texting.

they want everything quick, fast and in a hurry
and they don't have any patience to wait.

sure, the youngins are quick to learn, they pick-up on techy stuff like glue
but when you try to lay down some "common sense"... they just ignore you.

still, they are, our kids...so what are we gonna do? :)

imo...

•••
Everything in life is the same. Its just experience. Older people's experience is good for stability but the youths wrecklessness is good for innovation. Experience is gained from our mistakes.
I agree that studying and then learning from mistakes is fundamental.
I took 15 years to become a real domainer.
It may be that many of us started young but then refined the technique as adults

•••
Wouldn't that be cutting a huge chunk of the industry away though? I'm only concerned because I'm totally 30 and won't be changing that story.

•••
Your making me want to jump back into the domain industry for one last hurrah lol ..

•••
Its the Young that learn and become Old experienced Domainers . Now how can you stop the Young if you want Old Experienced Domainers. Its a a Journey and experience learning process that each has to Go Through to become an Expert.

•••
Respectfully, I disagree with the OP.

I agree there is much to learn, and that experience is valuable in domaining, as in most things. That said...

In most fields it is the (relatively) young who drive innovation and change and progress. They tend to be more open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

I feel we already have too much influence from the pioneers in our field. While I admire and respect the foresight they had, and the success that followed, that does not mean that there is not room for new voices, or that the approaches of decades ago necessarily are right for 2023.

So, as someone older than most on NamePros, I would vote no. Domaining should be for all who want to put in the hard work to learn and apply ideas, with no age or experience restrictions.

Bob

Last edited:
•••

I agree there is much to learn, and that experience is valuable in domaining, as in most things. That said...

In most fields it is the (relatively) young who drive innovation and change and progress. They tend to be more open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

I feel we already have too much influence from the pioneers in our field. While I admire the foresight they had, and the success that followed, that does not mean that there is not room for new voices, or that the approaches of decades ago necessarily are right for 2023.

So, as someone older than most on NamePros, I would vote no. Domaining should be for all who want to put in the hard work to learn and apply ideas, with no age or experience restrictions.

Bob
Agreed. Things are changing and evolving. There is still space for both young and old to learn and grow.

•••
Experience is more of a determining factor and not a set age limit. Also, whoever (whatever generation) has the most spending power controls and determines the market.

•••

I feel we already have too much influence from the pioneers in our field. While I admire and respect the foresight they had, and the success that followed, that does not mean that there is not room for new voices, or that the approaches of decades ago necessarily are right for 2023.

Bob

👏 Well stated @BobHawkes. Change in the domaining space is such a sensitive discussion. So much so, we posted an entirely separate thread with our vantage point to avoid appearing we were poking the hornet’s nest.

🤬 No matter how unsettling the idea of change might be for some, we’re all better off teaching, and learning from, the next generation. The tribalism in the domain space won’t go over well in this era where “inclusive communities” reign.

🛑 The idea of putting a sign on the entryway of domain investing that says “No entry if you’re under 50” reads as a sure fire way for the centralized industry, and its leaders, to be evicted from history for their “failure to evolve”.

👉 BOOMERS & LATE BLOOMERS is the thread.

Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
It is like no SEX until you re 50 and above!!

•••
Your making me want to jump back into the domain industry for one last hurrah lol ..
Oh Yes, me too. I don't truly know why but, I stopped buying domains years ago. (just the odd exception) Maybe sometimes the discussion becomes more interesting than the doing. But, for me there does seem to be enough new opportunities to be explored. I'm going to see how it goes.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not totally onboard with learning from our mistakes. Human nature tends to see repeat behaviour unless it's truly recognised as such. I'm sure, as with many I've been motivated by my successes, hence that analogy with gambling. But, again I don't see that as a true comparison either providing your 'betting' on your own accrued knowledge. plenty of professional and successful gamblers out there. Gamblers definitely don't see money the same way many do. It's just a token of success

Difficulty for me is that I've never been motivated by money (easy to say when you have enough) but I've been like that since I was a youngster. Recognition and successful career building took over from any monetary priorities. (something missing in childhood ;) I bet)

I do think this mind-set helps you detach yourself from domains and they don't become the be-all that many fall into. However it does make you blasé regarding opportunities, hence the mindset of 'another one will come along tomorrow' prevails.

I'm sure if many looked upon domains the same way - it would help curtail that Impulse buying. I do think if you see time disappearing at an alarming rate. time to rethink strategy

Last edited:
•••
I'm not totally onboard with learning from our mistakes. Human nature tends to see repeat behaviour unless it's truly recognised as such. I'm sure, as with many I've been motivated by my successes, hence that analogy with gambling. But, again I don't see that as a true comparison either providing your 'betting' on your own accrued knowledge. plenty of professional and successful gamblers out there. Gamblers definitely don't see money the same way many do. It's just a token of success

Difficulty for me is that I've never been motivated by money (easy to say when you have enough) but I've been like that since I was a youngster. Recognition and successful career building took over from any monetary priorities. (something missing in childhood ;) I bet)

I do think this mind-set helps you detach yourself from domains and they don't become the be-all that many fall into. However it does make you blasé regarding opportunities, hence the mindset of 'another one will come along tomorrow' prevails.

I'm sure if many looked upon domains the same way - it would help curtail that Impulse buying. I do think if you see time disappearing at an alarming rate. time to rethink strategy
I agree that not being motivated my money gives you a different mindset/outlook, on life in general really not just business and yes you're right it's easy to say if you have enough to get by on. I've seen a few domainers say it's about the hobby and the excitement of looking for names and not necessarily the selling of names.

I've always been of the belief that its best to be time rich and money poor than money rich and time poor. I never do any overtime for my day job, never work weekends and never do out of hours work even though I've been offered more money. Life is about time with your loved ones imo.

Slightly off topic sorry lol.

Last edited:
•••
apologies, went off-track myself above. so your forgiven Mr Haynes

As I mentioned. the over 50 bit is just a joke. but I wanted to draw attention to the wishful thinking of youngsters, their expectations and particularly with domains their perception that reward comes with just a fleeting idea, No real work required. The older generation weren't raised with that mindset. Maybe It's because the youngsters see domain investing more akin to buying lottery tickets, that would certainly explain some of the outrageous valuations they place on their domains (referring to retail sellers listings)

I am surprised how many disagree with me. but I thank all for your comments.

Last edited:
•••
Funny thread. I think membership to namepros should be restricted to age 50+
Or you must post i love you in 50 different threads to bypass said restriction 🤗

•••
I’m in my early 40’s, so probably middle age now, but I believe the world belongs to youth (or it should).

Probably off subject, but I believe a lot things wrong with the world today is result of old men in power, I’m not saying no one of a certain age shouldn’t be CEO’s of a company, but no one in their sunset years should be able rule a nation/have their fingers on the nuclear button and make decisions that affect humanity and decisions that send young people to their deaths, a lot of these people today (Putin/Trump/Xi) are the boomer generation and seem hell bent on going out with a bang, hell bent on chaos and conflict (because they won’t be around to see the damage they have caused) and making other generations that moved on from divisions/hatred they experienced as result of WW2 and the cold war, hate each other again for the next 40 years, I can go on how this generation have also side stepped other issues such as climate change for other generations to worry about, but in short I don’t think boomers can look back on the legacy they have left on the world and be proud.

Last edited:
•••
Funny thread. I think membership to namepros should be restricted to age 50+
Or you must post i love you in 50 different threads to bypass said restriction 🤗

This recommendation could make for a more embracing community forum. The caveat would be that folks 50+ have to say “I love you” back. ☺️

•••
I’m in my early 40’s, so probably middle age now, but I believe the world belongs to youth (or it should).

Probably off subject, but I believe a lot things wrong with the world today is result of old men in power, I’m not saying no one of a certain age shouldn’t be CEO’s of a company, but no one in their sunset years should be able rule a nation/have their fingers on the nuclear button and make decisions that affect humanity and decisions that send young people to their deaths, a lot of these people today (Putin/Trump/Xi) are the boomer generation and seem hell bent on going out with a bang, hell bent on chaos and conflict (because they won’t be around to see the damage they have caused) and making other generations that moved on from divisions/hatred they experienced as result of WW2 and the cold war, hate each other again for the next 40 years, I can go on how this generation have also side stepped other issues such as climate change for other generations to worry about, but in short I don’t think boomers can look back on the legacy they have left on the world and be proud.

🙏 @Kingslayer, Thank you for this. It’s easy to forget “behind every domain registered is a human”. (Until the bots really get involved of course.) The heavy focus on domains has led some investors to a place where they don’t factor how important it is to “keep the state of humanity in mind when going after the profit”.

🤝 We agree the younger generation deserves the torch and should be supported. Domain investing is special because it allows for such things to occur without the elders having to exit the playing field. Attitudes and outlooks simply need to be adjusted. There has to be an emphasis placed on dismantling “the ruling-class ideology” that plagues domain investing.

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back