Dynadot

analysis Domaining should be restricted to the over 50's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Ahh but was it not so, that once upon a time ago, “old” domainers during the 90’s were investing in .com domains when everyone told them it was foolish to put their money into what would become the worldwideweb … “old” .commers … most of them weren’t 50, Frank wasn’t, Rick wasn’t, Mike wasn’t …

“Oh don’t put your money there” … “you are too young, and naive” … what a bunch of malarkey …

And what has happened since the beginning ? The internet as we know it has dynamically changed and wether you know it or not, it is for the better ^ why if it wasn’t for those “youngsters” (our) industry would not have the value it has today … nor would there be any room for growth …

On your other note, just imagine if we only had (2) .extensions available to the public, .com and .net … It would be chaos for any new investor or any new business’ today … single keyword .com domains would be priced to a degree where only .01% could afford it and there would be nothing to else, the internet would be compacted by business’ with similar names or letters added on, or cities added on, or double, or triple, or even quadruple keywords … see we have 2000 new .extensions online at the moment, and we already have people who devise smart systems to automatically register any valuable single keyword and double keyword domains that get dropped ^ and now we are approaching a period where businesses’ have choices / thus WE as investors provide open hands to the industry, some businesses’ see this and capitalize on it ! Otherwise why would Verisign buy .web for $135M … why would Amazon and Google literally bid against each other @ private domain auctions just to own a new .extension like .buy or .shop … If old world investors understood this and combined their knowledge with new world investors, WE as a people, WE as investors could dynamically change the value of The Domain Name Industry altogether !

But for now, we unfortunately cannot, we will agree to disagree, “All hail the mighty Verisign” so they say ! Move along, move along !

Have to prove you’re over 50 to participate in domain sales / investments , honestly, imagine if they would have said the same thing in the 90’s, I respectfully disagree with you to the fullest degree.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.gif
    IMG_1255.gif
    688.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
•••
Ahh but was it not so, that once upon a time ago, “old” domainers during the 90’s were investing in .com domains when everyone told them it was foolish to put their money into what would become the worldwideweb … “old” .commers … most of them weren’t 50, Frank wasn’t, Rick wasn’t, Mike wasn’t …

“Oh don’t put your money there” … “you are too young, and naive” … what a bunch of malarkey …

And what has happened since the beginning ? The internet as we know it has dynamically changed and wether you know it or not, it is for the better ^ why if it wasn’t for those “youngsters” (our) industry would not have the value it has today … nor would there be any room for growth …

On your other note, just imagine if we only had (2) .extensions available to the public, .com and .net … It would be chaos for any new investor or any new business’ today … single keyword .com domains would be priced to a degree where only .01% could afford it and there would be nothing to else, the internet would be compacted by business’ with similar names or letters added on, or cities added on, or double, or triple, or even quadruple keywords … see we have 2000 new .extensions online at the moment, and we already have people who devise smart systems to automatically register any valuable single keyword and double keyword domains that get dropped ^ and now we are approaching a period where businesses’ have choices / thus WE as investors provide open hands to the industry, some businesses’ see this and capitalize on it ! Otherwise why would Verisign buy .web for $135M … why would Amazon and Google literally bid against each other @ private domain auctions just to own a new .extension like .buy or .shop … If old world investors understood this and combined their knowledge with new world investors, WE as a people, WE as investors could dynamically change the value of The Domain Name Industry altogether !

But for now, we unfortunately cannot, we will agree to disagree, “All hail the mighty Verisign” so they say ! Move along, move along !

Have to prove you’re over 50 to participate in domain sales / investments , honestly, imagine if they would have said the same thing in the 90’s, I respectfully disagree with you to the fullest degree.

🤝 Agreed. Well stated. Imagine what could be achieved if every investor appreciated the dynamics of how we’ve reached a place where digital identity has any value whatsoever. An embrace of the new generation would make for some awesome collaborations and outcomes.

•••
I guess I am not old enough to be in domaining. :xf.cry:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Otherwise why would Verisign buy .web for $135M …
Brand protection.

.Web is like a worse .Net really.

Ethos Capital tried to buy .ORG for $1.135 billion dollars. That extension has similar metrics to .NET.

The difference is Verisign will actually own the .web extension, where they are only operating .COM/NET under a sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.

They will have the freedom with .WEB that they don't have with .COM/NET.

They can reserve names, set up premium registration/renewals, etc.

I expect them to take full advantage of that. If you want anything good, you are going to have to pay a premium for it.

If old world investors understood this and combined their knowledge with new world investors, WE as a people, WE as investors could dynamically change the value of The Domain Name Industry altogether !

As the OP said it was a "tongue in cheek" comment.

People can invest in what they want to invest in. It's their money.

At the same time there is no reason to expect others to support your investments if they have a different perspective.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Brand protection.

Ethos Capital tried to buy .ORG for $1.135 billion dollars. That extension has similar metrics to .NET.

The difference is Verisign will actually own the .web extension, where they are only operating .COM/NET under a sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.

At the same time there is no reason to expect others to support your investments if they have a different perspective.

Brad

🤝 @bmugford, it doesn’t seem to be about expecting folks to support what they don’t agree with; but more about championing a new investor’s ability to figure it out and find their way. All with the support from elders in the space for the sake of character and humanity.

👃We can likely agree the centralized domain investing culture has been shaped by a hard-nosed investor attitude that involves crucifying the idea of investing in anything besides a short and aged .com. This isn’t the most welcoming culture. Especially not for our grandchildren.

👀 The thing it seems most people in this thread’s comments are alluding to is a need for “change”. The fact investors getting behind an age restriction in this industry doesn’t seem far fetched, let alone age 50, might mean it’s time to reevaluate “our collective expectations”.

With the utmost respect,

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
There has to be an emphasis placed on dismantling “the ruling-class ideology” that plagues domain investing.
The trouble there is that they tend to be very good at it. Domaining isn't ruled but perhaps over-influenced by certain key figures. I personally don't see that as a problem, I don't recall the late 80's and early 90's in regard the domain market purely because I wasn't part of it at that time. But it is certainly my belief that these are the same people that established that sense of value to desirable terms.

Coming into domains in the late 90's I still recall the trepidation of investing my hard earned cash in domains. Even the whole future of the internet was questioned as just a pure Geeky outlet for nerds and the like.
At the time I loved the fact that there were trailblazers that really cemented my belief that the internet was the future.

There has never been 'innovation' in domains since those early days. Many an add on yes. It took a little bit of bravery to hold out and hold on during the tech crash of the early 2000's. Even the domain resale market was fairly under cover and focused on the infant domain discussion groups. National newspaper adverts regularly offered the best domains which I must admit influenced me that there was something to be had.

Those early domainers were buying up left right and centre, Yep it was a land rush but there was very little trading/selling to be had. It was as I recall just pure belief in the future of the internet

Last edited:
•••
👃We can likely agree the centralized domain investing culture has been shaped by a hard-nosed investor attitude that involves crucifying the idea of investing in anything besides a short and aged .com. This isn’t the most welcoming culture. Especially not for our grandchildren.
I invest in a lot more than .COM, and a lot more than single word domains.

Considering there are 160+ million .COM registrations, a very low percentage are actually single words or short domains.

The thing it seems most people in this thread’s comments are alluding to is a need for “change”. The fact investors getting behind an age restriction in this industry doesn’t seem far fetched, let alone age 50, might mean it’s time to reevaluate “our collective expectations”.
No one is actually getting behind an age restriction. :ROFL:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The trouble there is that they tend to be very good at it. Domaining isn't ruled but perhaps over-influenced by certain key figures. I personally don't see that as a problem, I don't recall the late 80's and early 90's in regard the domain market purely because I wasn't part of it at that time. But it is certainly my belief that these are the same people that established that sense of value to desirable terms.

Coming into domains in the late 90's I still recall the trepidation of investing my hard earned cash in domains. Even the whole future of the internet was questioned as just a pure Geeky outlet for nerds and the like.
At the time I loved the fact that there trailblazers that really cemented my belief that the internet was the future.

There has never been 'innovation' in domains since those early days. Many an add on yes. It took a little bit of bravery to hold out and hold on during the tech crash of the early 2000's

🤣 Exactly. The space is silently evolving. With the aroma of the 80s and 90s still in the nostrils of some investors, it’s important to evaluate the culture at this point. Most of us will look stale, grumpy and isolated if we don’t.

•••
Brand protection.

They will have the freedom with .WEB that they don't have with .COM/NET.

They can reserve names, set up premium registration/renewals, etc.

I expect them to take full advantage of that. If you want anything good, you are going to have to pay a premium for it.

Brad

Something we agree on, how rare Brad.

And of course, there are people with more money then sense in any industry, especially this industry, it does not cease to amaze me.

As far as the deal with ICANN, I presume you’re talking about the lawsuit in 2005-2006 over “site finder” in which Verisign sued ICANN and won the ultimate exclusive rights to .com with the ability to raise renewal rates by 7% annually …

Not only that ^ but they have full US government support, talk about a POWERHOUSE corporation !

I believe that more companies are waking up to the idea that “premium” renewals don’t work long term, it is a very small percentage of people that’ll pay $12,000 a year in renewals on one domain name and smile about it … but fair renewals, even $200 - $400 annually, what is that in the grand scheme of a business, the cost of toilet paper annually…

That said ^ the real value we have is investors supporting each other and educating new investors and endusers on the importance of “prime” internet realestate … imho that is not exclusive to .com domain names ^ if the name makes sense and can be tied to a valuable industry, by all means, who is to say that one is worth millions and the other is worth a tenth of that, because of “three letters” … and the truth is if we could break that barrier, there is no telling what kind of value we could create for the domain name industry ! .com domain valuations would go up astronomically and new internet real estate would start to trade in more volume, thus opening the golden doors to the future of what lies ahead !

And I gotta tell you “time” is on my side ! I believe that this is subject that if I continued on with, you would disagree with, but I’m fine with that.

I understand that in order for us both to be successful, we both have to be successful at “our own things” !

For now, praise the .com lords baby !

🤵🏼🥃

•••
🤝 @bmugford, it doesn’t seem to be about expecting folks to support what they don’t agree with; but more about championing a new investor’s ability to figure it out and find their way. All with the support from elders in the space for the sake of character and humanity.
Some people seem to mistake reasonable criticism for negativity.

Cheering on everyone for everything is not the only type of support, and in fact is often not helpful at all.

That just leads to an echo chamber. Constructive criticism can be far more helpful to learn from than just hanging around yes-men.

Also, some of the support comes from calling out hucksters who make absurd claims like -

".COM is dead" or ".COM is like AM radio"

Or how about registries with their hit & run marketing campaigns trying to sucker domainers with their wild claims...

How to make a 7-digits domain sale !​

https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-make-a-7-digits-domain-sale.1127458/

or

https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-are-your-best-domain-names.1126251/page-23#post-8818678

How are those .best investments working out?

Brad

•••
I believe that more companies are waking up to the idea that “premium” renewals don’t work long term, it is a very small percentage of people that’ll pay $12,000 a year in renewals on one domain name and smile about it … but fair renewals, even $200 - $400 annually, what is that in the grand scheme of a business, the cost of toilet paper annually…
If you want an extension to thrive you need top terms in the hands of end users, and in use to showcase the extension.

Instead most of these registries have decided to erect a paywall when it comes to most good terms.

That is just a way to ensure an extension has limited use, exposure, and demand.

Brad

•••
I invest in a lot more than .COM, and a lot more than single word domains.

Considering there are 160+ million .COM registrations, a very low percentage are actually single words or short domains.

No one is actually getting behind an age restriction. :ROFL:

Brad

😂 @bmugford, don’t be surprised if there’s a 50+ domain petition floating around somewhere. Hopefully not.

•••
Maybe for a top tier combo, but when it comes to something less than that it is hard to justify $200 - $400 a year vs like $10/year when it comes to COM/NET/ORG and most legacy ccTLD.

Brad

•••
😂 @bmugford, don’t be surprised if there’s a 50+ domain petition floating around somewhere. Hopefully not.
I guess I will have to offset that with a petition requiring anyone 50+ to be required to have a license to use the internet. :ROFL:

Brad

•••
@BaileyUK
Why don't you create a poll with domainers age by decade?
It would be interested I think

Last edited:
•••
I have to agree with Brad, this propensity to clap like seals at domain registrations mostly made by the inexperienced and applauded by the same inexperienced group is Not helping. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to divide and rule here. It's just that by the language used you can usually gauge the age of the domain poster and the respondent.

No slur on the thread starter - I think the intention was admirable and worthwhile but, one only has to view the discussion thread regarding the registrant believing their registration is worth in excess of $5,000. And the number of posters. The congratulations posted thereafter has become the best light-hearted reading on this site (I wont use stronger terms - in fear of upsetting many)

Are people really saying these are the innovators of the future of domains. Because I can tell you there's a 50 to 1 failure rate staring you in the face right there. Probably closer to 100+ to 1 And even then I'm allowing for the few real value domains posted by the experienced

Last edited:
•••
@BaileyUK

🤔 That might be a nifty idea if most are willing to participate. It would make for some interesting data.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Why not?
Polls are anonymous

🤝 You’re correct. Polls are anonymous; but age isn’t. Everyone might not be comfortable looking their tenure in the face. It shouldn’t be an issue though.

•••
I believe domain market has similarities with stock markets.
When you are young, you are better at trading.
When you grow old, you get better at investing.

•••
@BaileyUK
I think that question/poll has been covered before . I seem to recall the average age was around 30, far less of the older generation than I expected. trouble is you really require a large enough response to have any credibility and so many polls here just don't get that. they are not even indicators really.

My belief is that most enter domaining in their early 20's. a little bit of spare cash but no real understanding of the evolution of the internet or the domain market. Why should they, it was there before they were born.

Last edited:
•••
I have to agree with Brad, this propensity to clap like seals at domain registrations mostly made by the inexperienced and applauded by the same inexperienced group is Not helping. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to divide and rule here. It's just that by the language used you can usually gauge the age of the domain poster and the respondent.

No slur on the thread starter - I think the intention was admirable and worthwhile but, one only has to view the discussion thread regarding the registrant believing their registration is worth in excess of $5,000. And the number of posters. The congratulations posted thereafter has become the best light-hearted reading on this site (I wont use stronger terms - in fear of upsetting many)

Are people really saying these are the innovators of the future of domains. Because I can tell you there's a 50 to 1 failure rate staring you in the face right there. Probably closer to 100+ to 1

🦭 It’s not seal clapping that needs to be led with. Maybe a bit more tact when giving opinions/criticism. After all, anything is literally possible. If an unpopular domain sold for millions tomorrow, most of our elder peers would say it’s “luck”. If it happens again, it’s labeled a “trend”. If it happens again, then everything becomes about it not being the “king”. All the way up until someone from the younger generation says “what’s a king to a God?”.

😜 We’re merely saying this is the era where digital pictures of apes are selling for astronomical amounts. Despite who does, or doesn’t, like/understand it, it’s happening. Who knows what’s poised to take the digital world by storm next. If a different extension can insight wrath from the elders, wait until domains with emoticons become popular. Then the elders will be at war with the new generation of investors AND their adolescent buyers/end-users.

🤝 Let’s guide and learn simultaneously.

•••
Well, sorry I think I've been very cordial with my language. I think you'll also find most of the experienced really do understand the market. It's the inexperienced that see these high sales as luck not the other way around as you seem to think.

I've spent many years as a business/distribution manager based in the East-end of London. Trust me I know how to avoid stepping on toes. But you have to emphasis a point of control otherwise the message just becomes wish-wash and meaningless.

I think I now understand where your coming from, Glad to have you post your point of view

Last edited:
•••
I think that question/poll has been covered before . I seem to recall the average age was around 30, far less of the older generation than I expected. trouble is you really require a large enough response to have any credibility and so many polls here just don't get that. they are not even indicators really.

My belief is that most enter domaining in their early 20's. a little bit of spare cash but no real understanding of the evolution of the internet or the domain market. Why should they, it was there before they were born.

🎰 Some of the younger folks likely see domaining as a lotto-like investment of sorts. Buy a few domains for $10 and sell them for say $100. Take that bit of money and roll it over into crypto or something. Make a few thousand on a run-up and there you have it. Wash, rinse and repeat.

🤲 Most of us elders have a buy and hold mentality. Yes, it has been lucrative for some; but that was before an explosion in startups. Who knows how many hand-registered domain names will have critical acclaim without the SEO track-record and aging in the next year or two. That alone gives some of the new investors a different set of sales-prospects.

🤑 It just makes sense not to discount the possibilities. Similar to how naysayers discounted the idea domains could be valuable back in the day. If a new domainer says they can fetch $1,000,000 dollars for a name, the only thing to say would be “make sure you report the sale when it happens”.

•••
Well, sorry I think I've been very cordial with my language. I think you'll also find most of the experienced really do understand the market. It's the inexperienced that see these high sales as luck not the other way around as you seem to think.

I've spent many years as a business/distribution manager based in the East-end of London. Trust me I know how to avoid stepping on toes. But you have to emphasis a point of control otherwise the message just becomes wish-wash and meaningless.

I think I now understand where your coming from, Glad to have you post your point of view

🤝 Oh no. You’re awesome. The response wasn’t a critique. Our exchange has been nothing short of constructive and enjoyable. The general point was about the seasoned vets getting comfortable with their approach; and forgetting everything needs to be fine-tuned every once in a while. Especially in an era of rapid changes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back