IT.COM

BOOMERS & LATE BLOOMERS?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
🤝 @BaileyUK started a “tongue in cheek” thread regarding the idea of there being an “age restriction” for domain investing. It’s an interesting thread with some interesting comments. You’re encouraged to check it out. In this thread (no competition intended), we’re looking at things from a different vantage point. An angle we respectfully didn’t want to appear as an attempt to disrupt the sentiment of @BaileyUK’s comment section.

✌️Honestly, we’re likely on the cusp of (2) separate domain industries existing anyway. The elders (or OGs as the newer domainers say) tend to have a more conservative approach to domain investing. Oftentimes, it involves being less tolerant of things that go against the status-quo. The new generation has a different level of accessibility, social-media and creativity to use as “culture benders”. This likely fuels their accelerated outlook on what digital identity is and could become.

⛓ It’s not necessarily a matter of whether the past and present domaining approaches are better than one another. It’s a matter of whether they can coexist. Setting an age limit on entering the centralized domain space would lead to nothing more than a push of the newer generation further into the decentralized/blockchain sector. Many have a foot in both centralized AND blockchain domain investing already.

🛠 Yes, we all know the stance many seasoned investors have on blockchain naming systems; but keep in mind the newer generation has the tools, and collective ability, to make everything work. We have to give them credit. The Ai and regular emergence of hip new tools prompts the question of whether future generations will find much interest in the conventional approach to domain investing. Especially if a culture of inclusivity is absent.

🚪 In closing, it would be nice if many of us seasoned investors can embrace the newer generation of domain investors; while understanding their era of digital identity is much different from that of the early-days. There will surely be growing pains; and .com tongue lashings unfortunately. But the past and future are bridged by the present. What will we do NOW? Hopefully the choice will involve keeping the doors open to everyone.

@bobhawkes Your thoughts?

(🐟P.S: The title of this thread is humorous click-bait. It’s not intended to offend anyone.)

🗣Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes you are absolutely right the it is very much difference in the domain purchasing etc ..

•••
Indeed my thread comment about age-verification wasn't intended to be taken seriously. I thank you for the acknowledgements but really this is a duplicate reviewing of the same subject. Nothing wrong with that its been a long-time consideration of many I'm sure. It's just that some subjects rarely rear their head in open debate, too much risk of upsetting those on the path to imaginary riches.

Last edited:
•••
As I'm a week short of turning 20, I feel for the younger crowd.

Twenty years on NamePros, I meant. :-D

•••
As I'm a week short of turning 20, I feel for the younger crowd.

Twenty years on NamePros, I meant. :-D

🤞There’s hope. We were the younger crowd at one point. Now we’re able to count experience by the decades. What a privilege it is to have life and the opportunity to learn/grow.

🎉Congratulations on the 20 year anniversary!

👤 Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
A boomer in up and coming DN progression once dm'd here me early 2020, asked if I had looked into this thing called Handshake, and provided me resources. He was also a fellow new G' enthusiast like me. Something about literally owning your own TLD, on the blockchain. I replied, nope, didn't have time for fanciful fantasies in domaining but thanked him.

A few months later, I coincidently came across that thing called Handshake, looked into it and played around, and realized there was something to it. The entry barrier was merely bidding on name auctions with HNS coin or buying the TLD outright if it was for sale. I tried a couple, either by creating my own and winning the auction or just buying the name, and configured the TLD to see if it would actually resolve. Indeed it did, via the hard work put into by early dev pioneers to make it possible.

I was hooked. Seeing a TLD you own resolve to a site you created is nothing short of euphoric. There will indeed be late bloomers to this field, but it is still opportune and likely will be for some years. This was the beginning of what we see now as "web3" or "decentralized".

For me personally, it is a dream come true in terms of domain names, the elimination of an extension dependent on a for-profit organization where you actually own the word in its totality. Boomer or late bloomer, nothing stays the same forever and even if we perceive that there is nothing wrong with the traditional methods of Internet naming and resolving, there are obvious facts we cannot overlook: quality limitations, saturation and innovation limitations.

The future will reflect the early stages we are at right now, only in a more concrete measurable status, whereby that traditional extensions and new naming protocols are not about who's ahead or what will be the next dot-whatever, but working in tandem by those who chose to use what's best for them. It doesn't really matter what we chose to invest in, as long as it reflects a vision that goes beyond a personal agenda of just making money.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back