IT.COM

analysis Domaining should be restricted to the over 50's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Respectfully, I disagree with the OP.

I agree there is much to learn, and that experience is valuable in domaining, as in most things. That said...

In most fields it is the (relatively) young who drive innovation and change and progress. They tend to be more open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

I feel we already have too much influence from the pioneers in our field. While I admire and respect the foresight they had, and the success that followed, that does not mean that there is not room for new voices, or that the approaches of decades ago necessarily are right for 2023.

So, as someone older than most on NamePros, I would vote no. Domaining should be for all who want to put in the hard work to learn and apply ideas, with no age or experience restrictions.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Everything in life is the same. Its just experience. Older people's experience is good for stability but the youths wrecklessness is good for innovation. Experience is gained from our mistakes.

•••
I agree and disagree with you.
Agree because I jumped in the domain business just 1 month ago and rushed buying domains that now I understand are useless.
Youngsters can learn too, but that’s up to them. It takes time and effort and not many of them are willing to do that I suppose.
Have a nice day !

•••
Thank you Sutrak and Domain boy for commenting.

I can assure you this this thread opening comment was not supposed to be taken seriously. But I did intend it to be Provocative. So lets examine the intent. I am concerned about the number of members of late that have posted sales requests almost pleading for a sale of domain/s they hold. I am also concerned regarding the picture many hold of what makes for a saleable domain.

I would hope that newcomers to domains may take a moment to reflect before they jump right-in. Yes it is going to be a predominately younger crowd, Also dare I add, The non (first language) English speaking contingent (this would have been a much more difficult subject matter as a focus)

There are many, many posts/threads that explain the basics of domain sensibilities. Are they heeded ? No would be my response. The $5,000 value and above thread is generally a good example of How to get it wrong (the number of responses give you an indication of the size of the issue) And this is one of the most popular threads on Namepros

I would hope many would see this thread, just a tongue-in-cheek reflection point. Could it have been done better, Of course it could've been. Would that have been read - I think NOT.

I'm glad it has attracted the responses it has, And I hope far more newcomers have taken a moment to reflect but, haven't commented. I'm not concerned about those making the odd dabble into domains. But, I am genuinely concerned about those getting in over their heads. In the early days I know how addictive those two click buys/registrations become.

Hope this helps to clarify. I half expected my opening comments to almost scare members from giving any response. I can assure you I have only created about 5 or 6 threads in my entire membership. I am not into leg-pulling as a methodology but I think it may have partially worked.

I would have loved to kept-up the controversy but I think it has run its course really due to the number of misinterpretations

Last edited:
•••
🤝 @bmugford, it doesn’t seem to be about expecting folks to support what they don’t agree with; but more about championing a new investor’s ability to figure it out and find their way. All with the support from elders in the space for the sake of character and humanity.
Some people seem to mistake reasonable criticism for negativity.

Cheering on everyone for everything is not the only type of support, and in fact is often not helpful at all.

That just leads to an echo chamber. Constructive criticism can be far more helpful to learn from than just hanging around yes-men.

Also, some of the support comes from calling out hucksters who make absurd claims like -

".COM is dead" or ".COM is like AM radio"

Or how about registries with their hit & run marketing campaigns trying to sucker domainers with their wild claims...

How to make a 7-digits domain sale !​

https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-make-a-7-digits-domain-sale.1127458/

or

https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-are-your-best-domain-names.1126251/page-23#post-8818678

How are those .best investments working out?

Brad

•••
Hi

it's all about the food.

older folks ate slower cooked meals.
they sat and waited for it to be prepared.
they "talked" at the table, instead of everyone looking at their phones and texting

meanwhile the young gen are on fast foods.
they eat, while talking on phones or texting.

they want everything quick, fast and in a hurry
and they don't have any patience to wait.

sure, the youngins are quick to learn, they pick-up on techy stuff like glue
but when you try to lay down some "common sense"... they just ignore you.

still, they are, our kids...so what are we gonna do? :)

imo...

•••
Your making me want to jump back into the domain industry for one last hurrah lol ..

•••
Respectfully, I disagree with the OP.

I agree there is much to learn, and that experience is valuable in domaining, as in most things. That said...

In most fields it is the (relatively) young who drive innovation and change and progress. They tend to be more open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

I feel we already have too much influence from the pioneers in our field. While I admire the foresight they had, and the success that followed, that does not mean that there is not room for new voices, or that the approaches of decades ago necessarily are right for 2023.

So, as someone older than most on NamePros, I would vote no. Domaining should be for all who want to put in the hard work to learn and apply ideas, with no age or experience restrictions.

Bob
Agreed. Things are changing and evolving. There is still space for both young and old to learn and grow.

•••
Oh Yes, me too. I don't truly know why but, I stopped buying domains years ago. (just the odd exception) Maybe sometimes the discussion becomes more interesting than the doing. But, for me there does seem to be enough new opportunities to be explored. I'm going to see how it goes.
I am definitely staying retired. Although still holding 178 LLLL.coms and three LLL.coms , I am retired for sure. Watching others is about it for me now.

•••
Nonsense. There are, and there have been young guys doing pretty well in domaining.

You don't need to study a degree to enter domaining. And domaining is something that not for being older you are going to know more. Brilliance, as well as stupidity, has no age. :xf.laugh:

Now, if you say "Marriage should be restricted to the over 50's" then I'd buy it. :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
apologies, went off-track myself above. so your forgiven Mr Haynes

As I mentioned. the over 50 bit is just a joke. but I wanted to draw attention to the wishful thinking of youngsters, their expectations and particularly with domains their perception that reward comes with just a fleeting idea, No real work required. The older generation weren't raised with that mindset. Maybe It's because the youngsters see domain investing more akin to buying lottery tickets, that would certainly explain some of the outrageous valuations they place on their domains (referring to retail sellers listings)

I am surprised how many disagree with me. but I thank all for your comments.

Last edited:
•••
I find this quite insensitive.
Oh yeah...

It just sounds like you're getting old and realising that you're starting to become obsolete and you're desperately clutching onto the thought that you are still better at something than the 'youngsters' are.
Then you go on to say that.

When I was young I was poor. But after decades of hard work, I'm no longer young. :ROFL:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
And cheers to you Samer. I actually think it's a valid discussion to be had . Where do the creative and recognition of good domains stand in regard age of the registrant. It's certainly a very influencing aspect. Sure we would all love to register that great start-up name. But, is there real market awareness missing for some.
PS I don't mind a few down-votes. Just don't wipe my good standing out please. There should be a valid argument for the young creative mind but I'm not genuinely sure there is.

Last edited:
•••
I have to agree with Brad, this propensity to clap like seals at domain registrations mostly made by the inexperienced and applauded by the same inexperienced group is Not helping. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to divide and rule here. It's just that by the language used you can usually gauge the age of the domain poster and the respondent.

No slur on the thread starter - I think the intention was admirable and worthwhile but, one only has to view the discussion thread regarding the registrant believing their registration is worth in excess of $5,000. And the number of posters. The congratulations posted thereafter has become the best light-hearted reading on this site (I wont use stronger terms - in fear of upsetting many)

Are people really saying these are the innovators of the future of domains. Because I can tell you there's a 50 to 1 failure rate staring you in the face right there. Probably closer to 100+ to 1 And even then I'm allowing for the few real value domains posted by the experienced

Last edited:
•••
Everything is offensive!
I love you.

Last edited:
•••
Wouldn't that be cutting a huge chunk of the industry away though? I'm only concerned because I'm totally 30 and won't be changing that story.

•••
I’m in my early 40’s, so probably middle age now, but I believe the world belongs to youth (or it should).

Probably off subject, but I believe a lot things wrong with the world today is result of old men in power, I’m not saying no one of a certain age shouldn’t be CEO’s of a company, but no one in their sunset years should be able rule a nation/have their fingers on the nuclear button and make decisions that affect humanity and decisions that send young people to their deaths, a lot of these people today (Putin/Trump/Xi) are the boomer generation and seem hell bent on going out with a bang, hell bent on chaos and conflict (because they won’t be around to see the damage they have caused) and making other generations that moved on from divisions/hatred they experienced as result of WW2 and the cold war, hate each other again for the next 40 years, I can go on how this generation have also side stepped other issues such as climate change for other generations to worry about, but in short I don’t think boomers can look back on the legacy they have left on the world and be proud.

Last edited:
•••
I have to agree with Brad, this propensity to clap like seals at domain registrations mostly made by the inexperienced and applauded by the same inexperienced group is Not helping. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to divide and rule here. It's just that by the language used you can usually gauge the age of the domain poster and the respondent.

No slur on the thread starter - I think the intention was admirable and worthwhile but, one only has to view the discussion thread regarding the registrant believing their registration is worth in excess of $5,000. And the number of posters. The congratulations posted thereafter has become the best light-hearted reading on this site (I wont use stronger terms - in fear of upsetting many)

Are people really saying these are the innovators of the future of domains. Because I can tell you there's a 50 to 1 failure rate staring you in the face right there. Probably closer to 100+ to 1 And even then I'm allowing for the few real value domains posted by the experienced
Yeah, it is not really an age thing, extension thing, etc.

If you look at any of those type of threads, most registrations are just objectively bad.

Most of it is about unrealistic expectations and lack of experience.

There are endless terrible registrations in all extensions, the bar is just lower in an extension like .COM. But, it is not like if you have some bad .COM it is gold.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
That was a little bit OT That's the trouble with Brit sarcasm it doesn't necessarily travel well.

I am a bit saddened to see how many people seem to think you are seriously proposing that under-50s be barred from domains - and focus on that rather than the issue you raised. Seems much of the dialogue these days is like that.

I am currently negotiating on a domain where the owner of a slightly inferior version is asking 1 million dollars (maybe Dr. Evil owns it). I don't mind that at all, because it makes whatever I quote sound very reasonable by comparison. A lot of money flowing these days with crypto and all, so many younger people will assume outrageous profits are the norm.

•••
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Not the age is problem
Financial is the problem
If don't have financial stability stay away from domaining
Need to have a permanent job , a company etc..

•••
I find this quite insensitive.
Hi nnzo.

I'm aware that it is a tad insensitive, hence I tried to inject a little bit of humour in the original post. Discussing anything these days can be construed as Insensitive, biased or prejudicial. Unfortunately this stifles open and directed debate. watch and listen to a politician or public figure speak today (apart from Mr Trump) and it's filled with non-descriptive terms for fear of alienating anyone or be seen as identifying a particular group.

My thoughts about everyone entering the domain arena has remained pretty constant over the last 5 to 10 years. At one time you really needed to seek out the information to truly get involved in domains. Now it's everywhere, as a road-to-riches model. So who are drawing-in, of course it's the inexperienced in any sort of investing mostly the younger generation.

I think if you look beyond the 'Insensitivities' there's really a serious side to this. Bloody good job I didn't expand on my thoughts about everyone having to employ a personnel domain registration agent before a domain could be registered (an overseer of gobbledegook) Now that really would have alienated the young creative crowd.

PS I do agree about relicensing the elderly every 5 years or so to use our roads. Indeed every year for some.

Yes I am only joking about the Overseer concept ;) I was just thinking, What could be a step even further Mind you at least that wouldn't be seen as age biased. even though it would be.

Last edited:
•••
I don't understand if this is a troll post or if you're serious hahaha

As there are extremely talented senior domainers in here there are also extremely talented youngsters

Often youngsters which are brilliant like to learn and listen to the more experienced.

It's nice just the way it is.. open to everyone

•••
With age comes experience, and we hope, wisdom but often with it comes also complacency. With getting used to doing or seeing things a certain way. Change is rarely welcomed with open arms, particularly in the domaining industry. We are always looking to, comparing to, established interests that have dominated for decades.

I think by shutting out a younger crowd, these fresh perspectives and investments, limits our ability to visualize and anticipate a domaining world that succeeds what we have today- and perhaps fueled solely by an insatiable desire by many young people to be a part of something new. I wouldn't be open to missing that.

Some of the threads on here, like the one you pointed out, are good examples of maybe not only age demographics, but inexperience. Often there is never a better start than exactly there.

•••
I'm racing to 50 (or flying?!) but been buying domains for a quarter of a century now :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back