Dynadot

Domainer negotiation tactics

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
How would you approach another big domainer (buydomains) in offer / counteroffer situation through anonymous system. Would you tell them you are a domainer and familiar with the industry or how would you get the best price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how "big" they are, is irrelevant to budget

so, if you buy under or within that....then you got the best price.

however, sometimes one has to go over budget, to get the best domain.

:)

•••
with buydomains you get the price price by talking to them and just being honest, they are the best guys in this business when it comes to giving seriously steep heavy discounts if they see you are serious and not a time waster.

Unlike many brokers that are at the mercy of silly clients with silly dreams, buydomains if its their own domain will work with you well and even if they are representing a domain they will try hard.

If you still can get anything within budget, fill out the form on the domain in question and just wait, you will get reminders and updates and sometimes a notice of a massive sale.

I highly recommend them!

•••
I've dealt with them over the phone plenty of times. Introduce yourself, be polite, state your budget and quite possibly meet in the middle.

They have to make a profit just like everyone else to sustain growth.

For an example, a purchase I made from them were my initials DJW.net, which they owned and had listed for $6000+ I believe.

I told them I was a domainer, my name is David J. Walker and I would like to strike up a deal with them. Moments later, we came to a mutual agreement that was a great price considering that it could have multiple uses beyond my initials (many established companies, the letters can make an acronym, etc.).

Having mentioned that, I did do business with them on several other occasions with $$$$ domains at a BIN price, which could have resulted in a lower price tag on this negotiation.

They are good people and I would take @AEProgram 's advice. Don't waste their time and you will get a good deal. They aren't brutal company and will listen to your needs.

Though, as mentioned, they are a business and still need to make a profit.

G'luck

Edit: I suppose I can state the price as I was unaware that it was a reported sale. I got it for $2750. Namebio states the venue was Afternic, but I purchased through BuyDomains.

•••
Inhouse brokered Domains from BuyDomains always show up in the Afternic sold lists (at least as long as they still displayed those before their quiet period) as they use the Afternic transfer/escrow functionality as their backend..
You can still see it when you look up the fictional Afternic user "Apollo" there ( https://www.afternic.com/apollo ) and "his" sold domains each day (and no, that's not a past member from here formerly called Armstrong like some others may believe)..

ps: i have sold Domains to "him"/"BuyDomains" this way as well via Afternic BuyNow which they instantly sold further to the end user they had contacted by themself and already on the hook.. sounds sneaky, but that's one of the methods they practice..

•••
Didn't know they reported, this was honestly the first time I searched. I knew they did 3rd party because they had djw.asia (I know) that was listed as $400 and they told me the that they couldn't budge. I said c'mon, 400 for a LLL.asia?

Wasn't their call though.

Was going to blog my Asia travels, only made sense with as many passport stamps since I purchased the .net.

Forgot about that though, sometimes they can't budge, but they tried for the .asia.

;)

•••
I've dealt with them over the phone plenty of times. Introduce yourself, be polite, state your budget and quite possibly meet in the middle.

They have to make a profit just like everyone else to sustain growth.

For an example, a purchase I made from them were my initials DJW.net, which they owned and had listed for $6000+ I believe.

I told them I was a domainer, my name is David J. Walker and I would like to strike up a deal with them. Moments later, we came to a mutual agreement that was a great price considering that it could have multiple uses beyond my initials (many established companies, the letters can make an acronym, etc.).

Having mentioned that, I did do business with them on several other occasions with $$$$ domains at a BIN price, which could have resulted in a lower price tag on this negotiation.

They are good people and I would take @AEProgram 's advice. Don't waste their time and you will get a good deal. They aren't brutal company and will listen to your needs.

Though, as mentioned, they are a business and still need to make a profit.

G'luck

Edit: I suppose I can state the price as I was unaware that it was a reported sale. I got it for $2750. Namebio states the venue was Afternic, but I purchased through BuyDomains.
nice deal!

•••
many of the names I've dropped, have been picked-up by BD and other well-known venues.
they buy domains from other domainers and mark up price .

you guys think because they have bigger inventory that you're getting a deal

but in reality, you could have bought the same names for a lot cheaper, if you buy off forums.
instead of offering $400> $800 for LLL.net, offer $1,500 and hold for 2 to 5 years, then sell for $3K

why would I tell BD, that i want the name because it's my initials?
why give them more leverage, more knowledge of the buyer to use to their advantage?

why do they gotta make a profit of us....why can't WE make some profits off each other?

imo....

•••
why would I tell BD, that i want the name because it's my initials?
why give them more leverage, more knowledge of the buyer to use to their advantage?
In most cases I would agree. However, who had the ultimate leverage over my initials? Them, because they owned them. It was not posted on forums for a lesser price.

Going from 6k to 2.7 is a fair deal IMO because I would have walked at 6 and a net, albeit my initials.

I simply stated they are fair with pricing if you're up front with them. The staff are also friendly and willing to do bulk deals when they know cash is on the table.

BD could still be sitting on DJW 2 years later, but cash was out and they wanted a sale. They have enough inventory to wait out a 6k sale, but decided to lower it for me for whatever reason. Who knows.

Show me DJW posted on a forum for 700 and I'll still not care, cause in 2012 BD had the leverage.

I won't do business with HugeDomains because they're buy it now or don't even inquire.

•••
Hey David

long as you feel you got a fair price, then that's all that matters.

•••
Hey David

long as you feel you got a fair price, then that's all that matters.

True. However in your post you make it seem like capitalism is the devil by them obtaining your drops because you were unable to find end users for the domains yourself. Then, you go on about how domainer's should buy from domainer's and aftermarkets are the devil. Some of the the "once in a lifetime" domains are posted, but nobody ever bites, until someone like BD owns it and marks it up 3-5x what it was on a forum eons ago. They have the capital to hold that $20 domain over 5 years, whereas domainer's have to trim.

Why do they have that capital? Because end users flock to venues like that. Not reseller forums.

I'm sure you had some bargain bin names at $20 that couldn't even sell that BD ended up selling for $2000.

However, what was the original listing of the domain? Was it $3500 or $2000?

I am saying BD is fair; and a lot of users who have dealt with them would agree, when terms of pricing are concerned. It's not "buy it now". They marked it up for a reason, to make you feel like you got a good deal... which in my opinion, I did. This is not the only purchase I've made from them where I'm sure I could have gotten domains for $$-$$$ years prior on forums, but had to buy it for $$$$ because domainer's have to drop and BD picks them up. There aren't other options.

Good marketing technique to bargain down instead of a venue like HugeDomains that a $2000 domain is $2000 and if you inquire about it; decide against it because they won't haggle a couple bucks, then mark it up to $2500 is a different story.

•••
True. However in your post you make it seem like capitalism is the devil by them obtaining your drops because you were unable to find end users for the domains yourself.

David, take emotion out of my post and only use the words written

also, don't assume why I let the names drop, because you don't know why I originally purchased them.

Then, you go on about how domainer's should buy from domainer's and aftermarkets are the devil. Some of the the "once in a lifetime" domains are posted, but nobody ever bites, until someone like BD owns it and marks it up 3-5x what it was on a forum eons ago. They have the capital to hold that $20 domain over 5 years, whereas domainer's have to trim.

again, using words that I didn't or trying to twist/spin them outside of context, won't gain you any perspective or insight.

"once in a lifetime" names do get posted, but only the person with the "discerning eye" will see them.
it's why some domainers prefer to buy from other domainers via pm, rather than post an offer.
they don't want to "alert" the sleeping, by bumping that thread to top of the cue.

and "they", like some other domainers, including myself, have the capital (or an income stream) to hold them 5 > 10 yrs or longer...depending on the plan or expectations for them.
as a domain only has to produce $0.05 a day to pay it's renewal fee (excluding .whatevers)

and, yes, domainers do "trim" their inventory, but not all do so for the same reasons.

Why do they have that capital? Because end users flock to venues like that. Not reseller forums.
if you believe that, then I'll let you continue to believe it.

I'm sure you had some bargain bin names at $20 that couldn't even sell that BD ended up selling for $2000.
sure, back when I first started, and didn't know any better.
though at that time, LLL.com were selling for $300 > $500 and you could hand-reg 3 character.com

but now, i'd drop a domain before I sell it for $20.
why? because it costs $59 to backorder @ namejet

imo....

•••
why do they gotta make a profit of us....why can't WE make some profits off each other?
Capitalism, the true American dream. Seems hypocritical calling out BD for marking up their prices when you mark yours up by far more to domainer's when BD sells to both end users and domainer's for less than you would let a domain go for.
but now, i'd drop a domain before I sell it for $20.
Not emotion? Pride is an emotion. Get over it.

Cheers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back